Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Tank?

Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
Greetings,

So I'm a casual player for ESO and when I mean by casual.. I mean I login get my daily rewards do a dungeon or BG then get busy and I'll come back later to it. I'm looking to play a tank but I'm curious what's the best class for it? Right now I'm playing a stam DK and I'm only level 23?  I would like to try the Warden but I don't have access to it so I'm curious should I play a dps role until the Necro comes out then make my decision then? 
[Deleted User]

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    This is the best ESO tanking resource from beginner to end-game:

https://woeler.eu/tanking-eso-beginners-guide/

Truvidien88[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    Iselin said:

Thank you for this. I'll have a look. 
    [Deleted User]
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Iselin said:

I believe that I am the best ESO Tanking Resources.
    now, I have never been a tank, but I follow behind them in lots of dungeons.
    I ALWAYS have opinions about their tanking and advice on how I would like to see them tank.

the obvious, undisputed, most important objective of ESO tanking is to
    never, ever, ever let anything hit me, damage me, stun me or cc me  in a dungeon!

I have seen every single class in ESO do the tanking.
    I have seen every single class do it bad and every single class do it good.

but they are obviously bad if they won't listen to my suggestions during every run!

have fun tanking and always listen to all of us that are behind you, telling you what you should be doing!

oh, don't be scared... Get Hit!

Sz  :)
    [Deleted User]IselinSovrath
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Highly unlikely the tank was doing it bad because they work with the oft VERY few tools they have.I would say more likely the other players are not controlling their actions which one false move and instead o combat being controlled becomes chaos running all over the place.
    It is USUALLY about timing,your tanks spike hate control has timers,your spike dmg has timers and most every game has what is called diminishing hate which basically means the hate will lower over time even if nobody does anything.

I would be interested how these tanks could be messing up because i doubt it,most likely over zealous dps were the ones messing up because they had op gear and wanted to show it off.As a non tank you can ALWAYS conform to the tanks play,if he is a bit slow,well guess what,SLOW down your spam attacks,so a battle takes 10 secs longer,you have a hot date or something?

The Tank/dps design is very tough to get right,likely why so many try and opt out of the design because it needs to be tested over all levels and matched perfectly on a fine line so there is control but not made too easy.
    I never played ESO in a group ,i lasted about 15 minutes and quit the game..sigh.So i have no clue if they got the grouping system done right or not.This is why i always praised FFXI,with a sub class system ANY or some classes could off heal if an emergency arises.

Combat design is incredibly tough to get right,using the example of CC "crowd control"if is too powerful too easy to pull off in a group then the game is trivialized.In a group we used to fight stuff 5-12 levels above our levels,so everyone had to be pretty much spot on and OP stuff like cc would likely not work or could not be relied on if you messed up.

Iselin

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 374
    SaunZ said:
    Iselin said:

I ALWAYS have opinions about their tanking and advice on how I would like to see them tank.

never, ever, ever let anything hit me, damage me, stun me or cc me  in a dungeon!

but they are obviously bad if they won't listen to my suggestions during every run!

have fun tanking and always listen to all of us that are behind you, telling you what you should be doing!

And remember the first rule of tanking, if the DPS screws up and pulls aggro off if you and gets the group wiped, it's still all. .. your.... fault. 
    you forgot if the dps stands in bad stuff and dies it's still the tank's fault.  or if healer stands in bad stuff and dies.  or if the healer overheals and grabs aggro.  or if the dps runs face first into a patrol pack while you're already fighting another group.  Probably missing a couple of more situations that demonstrates how bad tanks are in games according to non-tanks lol.
    [Deleted User]
  • Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    WBadger said:
    SaunZ said:
    Iselin said:

And remember the first rule of tanking, if the DPS screws up and pulls aggro off if you and gets the group wiped, it's still all. .. your.... fault. 
    you forgot if the dps stands in bad stuff and dies it's still the tank's fault.  or if healer stands in bad stuff and dies.  or if the healer overheals and grabs aggro.  or if the dps runs face first into a patrol pack while you're already fighting another group.  Probably missing a couple of more situations that demonstrates how bad tanks are in games according to non-tanks lol.
    Just ran a dungeon earlier with my tank and exactly this happened. I had one DPS in the group that would just run full speed ahead of everyone and start to pull we must have wiped over 5 times because of this. While I know not every group or player is like this but just the perk of playing as a tank I guess. :)
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    WBadger said:
    SaunZ said:
    Iselin said:

Just ran a dungeon earlier with my tank and exactly this happened. I had one DPS in the group that would just run full speed ahead of everyone and start to pull we must have wiped over 5 times because of this. While I know not every group or player is like this but just the perk of playing as a tank I guess. :)
    Pugs be pugs. I hardly ever go into pugs thinking I'm one role. I go in expecting bad tanking (like the many who try to jump to the front of the queue by picking the tank role when they're DPS.) bad healing and bad DPS and I'll adjust my build in there if I need to.

Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised by a good group but I'm never disappointed when expecting the worst :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    edited February 2019
    Tanks arent really needed that much on base game normal dungeons. Once you start getting into Vet mode dungeons and normal DLC dungeons, things get alot harder and mechanics get harder to ignore by just burning down the boss.

That being said, DK is generally considered the best tank due to the aoe shield they get for the party, party buff ultimate in the banner and the ranged pull they have. Wardens can also do a good job, they get some self mitigation buffs and a kinda pull, where you put down portals at range and any enemy that hits them gets teleported to you, they also get a point blank aoe root that is kinda nice for grabbing inital aggro. Tanking isnt like in other MMOs where you are expected to control all the mobs, just the big ones and then to help buff the party or debuff the enemies. The first 2 1h/shield like skills accomplish the latter. Argonians have been considered the best race because of their health buff, but that's changing in the next patch.

You can make anything work though
    SaunZ said:
    Iselin said:

LOL

in ESO when fake tanks cue as tank (when they are not) it is usually ok in normal random dungeons.

however, sometimes the normal random dungeon are one of the new ones that are WAY hard and being a fake tank is... well... fake!

we would ALL wipe over and over if it wasn't for my incredible healz, uber dps and tantrums!

• samiisamii Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Nord and Dragon Knight >:)
  • ThanatosXRSThanatosXRS Newbie CommonPosts: 3