Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LFG MMO

MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
I have not played an MMO in a bit.  I was thinking about picking one up again.  Here is what I would prefer.

Good character building (not appearance, actual meaningful choices in how your character plays ).  More in depth the better.
WASD movement (has to have it).
I would prefer tab target to action.  There are enough lobby games that have action combat. 
Defined roles (read as has to have a healing class).

The most important aspect has to be grouping.  I would prefer a game where I can get in groups and do dungeons/instances content together.

PVP is not important to me.  

I have tried just about all of the games that have released in the past two years.  I did not like ESO. 

I make this post about every 8-12 months and usually end up disappointed with what is out there.  I think My favorite MMOs were Vanguard (closed) and WoW (might try classic when it comes out).  SWTOR, has had no meaningful updates and I have beaten all of the story lines enough that I don't feel like playing it any more.  I liked Rift, but don't know if I really want to go back to it.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    hmm maybe jump into the new LOTRO server ..
  • MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    Scorchien said:
    hmm maybe jump into the new LOTRO server ..
    I tried LOTRO about 4 or 5 years ago and could not get past the look of the game.  Have they done a graphical update.  Also the character animations were painful?  I could try it again I guess, if no better alternatives pop up. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    LotRO had some gfx revamps both in the vistas and with the character models. Slight changes in the character animations too. But I doubt it will be enough if that was such a letdown at the last try. (besides the look, it is a good suggestion)

The issue, how I see it, is the conflict of interests. You want defined roles, character building, group focus and tab-target with regular controls - those you mostly can find in older games... with appropriate graphics.

How about CO? It has cel-shaded graphics, which aged nicely over the years. Defined roles, no pvp, group focus, tab-target, wasd movement, regular mmo control.
    Where it really shines is the building, miles ahead even Rift - and Rift has a really good character building system.
    The drawback is that you need a FreeForm slot for that openness, the Archetypes which are available for free players are pretty restricted (still have a lot of options, similar to an average MMO's character building, only restricted compared to FreeForm).

I'd say try it out for free, since you mentioned healers I suggest roll a radiant for the run, it is a pretty good healer for a free Archetype. That way you can see how you can pass by the looks, and how you like the gameplay and the group content.
    If it's good, you can get a FreeForm slot and dive in to the building of your own character.
  • MadCoderOneMadCoderOne Member UncommonPosts: 220
    if you have a good card and crank it up LOTRO looks quite good IMHO
    Octagon7711
  • BobVaBobVa Member UncommonPosts: 125
    FF XIV , especially with the new updates coming soon.

Is a good time for everyone to start playing FF XIV now and to catch up with everything.

Give it a try.
    Scorchien
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    BobVa said:

Is a good time for everyone to start playing FF XIV now and to catch up with everything.

Give it a try.
    FF14 is also a good suggestion :)
  • EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    edited February 2019
    Scorchien said:
    BobVa said:

Give it a try.
    While I do think FFXIV is a great MMO, if the OP is looking for meaningful character development choices, FFXIV is fairly limited (ie non-existent) in that aspect. Otherwise, its a great MMO with tons of content for a new player just getting into the game.
    Po_gg said:
    LotRO had some gfx revamps both in the vistas and with the character models. Slight changes in the character animations too. But I doubt it will be enough if that was such a letdown at the last try. (besides the look, it is a good suggestion)

The issue, how I see it, is the conflict of interests. You want defined roles, character building, group focus and tab-target with regular controls - those you mostly can find in older games... with appropriate graphics.

How about CO? It has cel-shaded graphics, which aged nicely over the years. Defined roles, no pvp, group focus, tab-target, wasd movement, regular mmo control.
    Where it really shines is the building, miles ahead even Rift - and Rift has a really good character building system.
    The drawback is that you need a FreeForm slot for that openness, the Archetypes which are available for free players are pretty restricted (still have a lot of options, similar to an average MMO's character building, only restricted compared to FreeForm).

I'd say try it out for free, since you mentioned healers I suggest roll a radiant for the run, it is a pretty good healer for a free Archetype. That way you can see how you can pass by the looks, and how you like the gameplay and the group content.
    If it's good, you can get a FreeForm slot and dive in to the building of your own character.
    I am not sure what CO is?  What is FreeForm?  A link would be enough, if you don't have the time or inclination. 

Also as far as graphics.  I don't mind the graphics in WOW, or Rift for example and those are older games.  LOTRO, I think I picked a Dwarf and he looked like a roblox experiment gone wrong.  I am downloading it now to see.  Also when I tried the game, everything had muted dull tones in the starting area, if I am recalling correctly.  It has been years and I have slept since them. 

--John Ruskin

Scorchien said:
    BobVa said:

Give it a try.
    While I do thing FFXIV is a great MMO, if the OP is looking for meaningful character development choices, FFXIV is fairly limited (ie non-existent) in that aspect. Otherwise, its a great MMO with tons of content for a new player just getting into the game.
    I tried FFXIV, when it game out before the retool, or whatever they called it. The game was horrible.  I am sure it is better now.  I just don't know if I want to go back?  Does it have a free trial, that is indicative of how the game plays.  Also do people still play the early content? 

--John Ruskin

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited February 2019
    MMOman101 said:
    Po_gg said:

I am not sure what CO is?  What is FreeForm?  A link would be enough, if you don't have the time or inclination. 

Also as far as graphics.  I don't mind the graphics in WOW, or Rift for example and those are older games.  LOTRO, I think I picked a Dwarf and he looked like a roblox experiment gone wrong.  I am downloading it now to see.  Also when I tried the game, everything had muted dull tones in the starting area, if I am recalling correctly.  It has been years and I have slept since them. 
    Champions Online. Freeform is you are not limited to a set build, the f2p part you are limited to set archetypes.

I did try the FTP CO.  So you need to buy a freeform slot and then you can build a more interesting character?  Is this correct? 

--John Ruskin

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    MMOman101 said:
    I did try the FTP CO.  So you need to buy a freeform slot and then you can build a more interesting character?  Is this correct? 
    Yes
    edited February 2019
    MMOman101 said:
    My bad, apologies. CO, Champions Online. FreeForm is the only thing not included into its f2p access (otherwise all the content, etc. you can play).

FreeForm in nutshell, they take all the powers (several hundred so far, and they keep adding new ones) of the game, put them in groups like: "energy builder", "active block", etc.
    Set up a few rules, only a handful, like: must have one energy builder,  etc.
    Then they give you that short list and say, based on this few rules, pick 14 powers for your characters :smiley:  basically you build your own class. And you can switch roles on the fly.

After the power selection you still have a lot of tweaking options, but that is shared with the free players. Free Archetypes are simply having a pre-selected power list, like classes in a more regular game.

edit:
    MMOman101 said:
    With a FreeForm slot you can build anything from the available powers in the game. If you try really hard you can even make a "broken" build, but it is fairly hard, that's why there are the rules mentioned above. Usually even if you just randomly pick powers, you will still end up with a moderately decent build. It won't be super effective, but still could end up interesting and fun.
    I have one more question about CO, is there actual group content at earlier levels?  It seems to have a lot of character customization, but when I tried it I remember not seeing much actual group content. 

--John Ruskin

• EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    MMOman101 said:
    Scorchien said:
    BobVa said:

Give it a try.
    While I do thing FFXIV is a great MMO, if the OP is looking for meaningful character development choices, FFXIV is fairly limited (ie non-existent) in that aspect. Otherwise, its a great MMO with tons of content for a new player just getting into the game.
    I tried FFXIV, when it game out before the retool, or whatever they called it. The game was horrible.  I am sure it is better now.  I just don't know if I want to go back?  Does it have a free trial, that is indicative of how the game plays.  Also do people still play the early content? 
    XIV is 100% a different game than it was in 1.0. More akin for WoW in terms of progression and content. Not sure about a free trial, and to be honest, the game doesn't truly "pick up" until Lv 50+; before then, it can seem a bit ho-hum and slow. Its definitely a fun game once you can get past the level and MSQ grind (or pay to skip it).

Early content is still doable thanks to daily roulettes that higher level players complete for tomestone rewards.
    edited February 2019
    MMOman101 said:
    I have one more question about CO, is there actual group content at earlier levels?  It seems to have a lot of character customization, but when I tried it I remember not seeing much actual group content. 

You can group up even in the tutorial, and there are open missions (kinda like the rifts in Rift, auto-groups everyone showing up, and the group is working for a common goal, in multiple tiers), the mechanic is also introduced in the tutorial.

The actual group stuff, queue for instances, opens up at level 10 I think (or 8?) with the Alert system. If you don't want to run around and doing missions, you can level up entirely with the Alert system.
    There are also a lot of group missions in the open, scalable (based on the group size) group instances within the main storylines of each zone, one "open mission" in every zone (not random like in Rift, more tied to the storyline of the zones), world bosses, and CO's version of raids.
    (and a couple pvp options, but nobody uses that :smiley: )

edit: https://youtu.be/MvjW783Ynfk?t=162   it is an older Hive video, but based on this the Alerts open up at level 8. Great video, btw.
  • Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    You could give Guild Wars 2 a shot. 
    I downloaded LOTRO and ran into some BS and have to redownload the game.  Not sure what is up with it.  If it fails again, I am just moving on. 

--John Ruskin

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited February 2019
    Dude i spent the better part of 15 years playing mmorpg's but i am not playing a single one of them right now.Developers failed the genre,thy are all too lazy and too cheap to put any real effort into the genre.Yeah FFXIV is likely the most polished most robust game but imo it is still gated and just not quite good enough but of course better than the rest of the posers.

To be honest there has hardly ever been a true grouping game besides EQ1 and FFXI,that is 2 games out of thousands of entries over 30 years,pretty sad when you think about it.The talk about FFXIV as being good at 50 for various reasons but the other clones  point more at end game which to me equates to NO GAME.

My suggestion is to do like i did,figure out what are some ideals you like in gaming and search for a game that delivers.I waited a long time in between games to find something i enjoy but never gave up looking.I am sure that somewhere down the road a developer will arise with a good mmorpg but at this point highly unlikely as EVERYTHING is looking like crowd funding/early access/cash shop.
    jimmywolf

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

LOTRO is not for me. 

--John Ruskin

CO seems like it is made for a controller.  Is this a game that was made for consoles? 

--John Ruskin

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    I am going to suggest Dungeons and Dragons Online for you.

It's a PvE game, so you won't have to deal with PvP at all.

Which means you are free and open to build whatever you want in this game as far as your class and build go. 

DDO has one of (if not THE) best character building systems ever made, and even often innocuous things like alignment have meaningful impact in the game.

A Full LFG system so you can find the group you are looking for to do content, or solo if you have the skills to play that out.

Meaningful Guild Participation, so what guild you are in, and what you contribute matters to the overall health of the guild.

Dungeons, Raids, and more options for equipment than you have seen in almost any game out there, as well as avoiding the dreaded BiS type gear treadmill.

You will have many options in this game, and they will matter, which means you are open to make something great, and you are also able to proverbially shoot yourself in the knee with an arrow.

This is really a game you should give a go as it seems to hit everything you are looking for.
    Octagon7711frostymug
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• BluelinerBlueliner Member UncommonPosts: 158
    EQ1 is still the best MMO on the market that has all the items on your list. and that imo is sad being that it's as old as it is.

MMOman101 said:
    CO seems like it is made for a controller.  Is this a game that was made for consoles? 
    Nope, that would be DCUO. CO is a traditional hotbar game, to be honest I'm not even sure you can assign everything onto a controller... but as with almost all PC games, you can play it via controller too, if that's your MO.

This loud fella in a nostalgia review last year found out controller play accidentally... :smiley: