Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honest Anthem Review - So Far

UnkillableUnkillable Member UncommonPosts: 123
When I first played the Closed Alpha Test less of the game was available and working, as to be expected. I found that the new VIP demo test revealed features that rounded out the gameplay experience and allowed me to fully play/enjoy/recommend the title.

The crafting system was incredible and easy to use, intuitive and fun. I knew where I could obtain the components, and loved the random roll bonuses feature of crafting. 100% spot on, great crafting system that will have players making some great gear and allowing them to push their item rating higher and higher.

The Tyrant Mine experience was great, you feel the progression through the mine/ dungeon and difficulty increases as you make your way to the boss. the boss encounter is challenging even on the normal middle setting, on hard its a lot harder as well. I had people leave me alone/ leave match, and leave me to finish off the tyrant solo. but overall it was a great progression type experience that I enjoyed.

Overall the game seems like it will provide enough content and customization, as well as, fun and engaging combat for a lot of different people and playstyles.

Finally when I unlocked the Colossus "frame" or "exo suit" with a more Tank like ability set and different more powerful "heavy" weapons, the game seemed to shift completely into the Plus Column for me. The Colossus felt like it should with a large HP bar and the Ability to take out a shield and actively block with it. My choices of weapons were simple, An Autocannon style chaingun, and a Explode on Contact Grenade Launcher.

Each of these amazing weapons (both of which I had crafted myself with found and earned components) were very effective at handling enemies and bosses alike. The Autocannon or Minigun/Chaingun was great for the smaller mobs in the encounters, it mows them down quite effectively. The Grenade Launcher was great for boss damage, as the nades were sticky but exploded on contact. From Across the room I could lob the grenades onto the Tyrant Boss's side and cause a lot of damage. Overall the Colossus Only weapon selections seemed perfect and spot on with the playstyle of the class.

I look forward to Anthems release now, having been a part of all public tests up until this point i can say i think this game has amazing systems and the potential to be a really great game.

Thanks for your time, 

Unkillable

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited February 2019
    Ok, so playing a bit on the Public Demo this weekend. I put in about 4 hours in game, and about 2-3 hours just in trying to get into the game.

TL;DR - not a immediate purchase for me. I was not impressed.

Playing on PC, mostly with XB controller. i7 4790k with GTX980 GPU, 2x 4K monitors.

First off: 
    4 - launches where the game would just quit before starting and dump me back at Origin
    3 - launches where the game would hang on starting to a black screen, and would refuse to start until I rebooted
    1 - unexpected game crash to desktop

Across several hours just trying to get into the game, I wasn't very impressed with client stability to say the least.

FIrst game launch - game spread across my 2 screens, with 50% of the UI unviewable. Alt-Enter got me into full screen to fix it, but again, another strike against client programming.

Once I got in - Graphics defaulted to High. I run 4K - my computer definitely cannot run this on High at 4K. It was a slide show. I was able to get them adjusted. and adjust the mouse sensitivity, then the game ran smoothly and looked good, but it did not do this by default.

Once I got all of that squared away, now it was finally time to play this game.

Inside the Fort - it's 1st person view, and you move so slow. I don't know what the purpose of this is. I never saw anyone else in the Fort, so it didn't appear to be a Hub like in Destiny. It was more like your ship in Warframe, only a lot larger, so it just took a lot longer to get around. 

Trying to get to an Expedition - I couldn't figure out the UI right off. It took me a good while to finally sort of understand it. I only got into my first Expedition by happy accident. Same with Forge - it was not immediately obvious to me how to use this. I did fumble through, but never felt entirely comfortable with it.

In the game. It controlled ok. I had some issues between flight and hover that I never did get nailed down, but apart from that, the game played well inside the missions.

The biggest, single harshest comment I can give this game: Loading screens. Everywhere. Very, very long loading screens. Even inside a mission - you stray a few footsteps awry in an open world, and the game decides to warp you back to your group.... with a loading screen. Even in Freeplay, I still encoutered loading screens bringing me back to the group, even though I was solo. And when it does finish loading, your smack in the middle of the fighting and getting pounded.

I initially had the game installed on a standard HDD. The loading screens were so harsh (>60sec at times), that I copied the game to my SSD. The load times improved, but it was still very significant, on the order of 20-30 seconds. 

Running Expeditions with other players reminded me a lot of Warframe as well. Those that knew the mission would race off, leaving me playing a perpetual game of catch up. By the time I did make it to the area, they would be mostly done already. I know familiarity fixes a lot of this, and I didn't give the game a lot of time, admittedly... but it didn't exactly hook me to want to put in that time this weekend.

Maybe after the release, when the bugs are worked out mostly, and I catch the game on sale or something I'll come back and revisit. But for now, I unlocked my second Javelin (Collosus), tried out freeplay, got stuck in Loading Screen after Loading Screen, and just decided to walk away for a bit.
    Asm0deus
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Ridelynn said:
    Ok, so playing a bit on the Public Demo this weekend. I put in about 4 hours in game, and about 2-3 hours just in trying to get into the game.

Playing on PC, mostly with XB controller. i7 4790k with GTX980 GPU, 2x 4K monitors.

First off: 
    4 - launches where the game would just quit before starting and dump me back at Origin
    3 - launches where the game would hang on starting to a black screen, and would refuse to start until I rebooted
    1 - unexpected game crash to desktop

Across several hours just trying to get into the game, I wasn't very impressed with client stability to say the least.

FIrst game launch - game spread across my 2 screens, with 50% of the UI unviewable. Alt-Enter got me into full screen to fix it, but again, another strike against client programming.

Once I got in - Graphics defaulted to High. I run 4K - my computer definitely cannot run this on High at 4K. It was a slide show. I was able to get them adjusted. and adjust the mouse sensitivity, then the game ran smoothly and looked good, but it did not do this by default.

Once I got all of that squared away, now it was finally time to play this game.

Inside the Fort - it's 1st person view, and you move so slow. I don't know what the purpose of this is. I never saw anyone else in the Fort, so it didn't appear to be a Hub like in Destiny. It was more like your ship in Warframe, only a lot larger, so it just took a lot longer to get around. 

Trying to get to an Expedition - I couldn't figure out the UI right off. It took me a good while to finally sort of understand it. I only got into my first Expedition by happy accident. Same with Forge - it was not immediately obvious to me how to use this. I did fumble through, but never felt entirely comfortable with it.

In the game. It controlled ok. I had some issues between flight and hover that I never did get nailed down, but apart from that, the game played well inside the missions.

The biggest, single harshest comment I can give this game: Loading screens. Everywhere. Very, very long loading screens. Even inside a mission - you stray a few footsteps awry in an open world, and the game decides to warp you back to your group.... with a loading screen. Even in Freeplay, I still encoutered loading screens bringing me back to the group, even though I was solo. And when it does finish loading, your smack in the middle of the fighting and getting pounded.

I initially had the game installed on a standard HDD. The loading screens were so harsh (>60sec at times), that I copied the game to my SSD. The load times improved, but it was still very significant, on the order of 20-30 seconds. 

Running Expeditions with other players reminded me a lot of Warframe as well. Those that knew the mission would race off, leaving me playing a perpetual game of catch up. By the time I did make it to the area, they would be mostly done already. I know familiarity fixes a lot of this, and I didn't give the game a lot of time, admittedly... but it didn't exactly hook me to want to put in that time this weekend.

Maybe after the release, when the bugs are worked out mostly, and I catch the game on sale or something I'll come back and revisit. But for now, I unlocked my second Javelin (Collosus), tried out freeplay, got stuck in Loading Screen after Loading Screen, and just decided to walk away for a bit.
    Interesting that you had connection/matchmaking issues this weekend, I had them last weekend big time but this weekend?  Not a single one.
    Ridelynn
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited February 2019
    @ Ridelyn thanks for an honest review.. ;)

Looks like the loading screen might kill it for me, I mean if I want to go off the beaten path then bugger off and let me I say!
    Ridelynn

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    I tried the demo, I am going to hold off on it though I think, I found the controls really sluggish and floaty for me using a kb/mouse.
    Ridelynn

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Ridelynn said:

Interesting that you had connection/matchmaking issues this weekend, I had them last weekend big time but this weekend?  Not a single one.
    I don't think they were connection issues - I did get dropped once (when the game crashed), but when I was in the game, I never had issues getting into an Expedition. My issues were all just getting the game started in the first place.