Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD R9 270x (2GB) vs RX 570

jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
I saw a deal for a Sapphire RX 570 4GB for only $99.  One thing that was weird is it is PCIex8 and uses PCIe 3.0.  It only has one DVI output which is fine with me.  Looking at benchmarks it seems like a significant cheap upgrade, but it almost seems too good to be true.  My current 2GB card is starting to struggle on newer games at 1080.  Black ops 4 is a GPU RAM Hog, Ass. Creed Odd is not very playable, and the anthem demo is not real smooth.  I can not afford a new PC currently so I am just wondering if this would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Thanks

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited February 2019
    Better deal is the 580 for about $175 right now. 580 is right at double the performance what your 270 does.

That being said, I understand budgets. I don't know about the specific card your looking at. 570 in general is a good card too, and would definitely be an upgrade.  Just not quite as good a deal as the 580 is running right now if you can swing it.

*EDIT* Quiz says I should edit this, but I stand by my original statement. For my money, it would be better spent on the 580  than the 570 - not saying that the 570 isn't a good deal, just I think the 580 is a better one.
    Post edited by Ridelynn on
    [Deleted User]
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    I assume that you mean this:

https://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-GDDR5-DVI-D-Graphics/dp/B07MCDNQX2/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1549144641

I'd say, go ahead and get it.  It will be about double the performance of what you have now, which is enough to justify the upgrade.  And it could be years until you get that level of performance for under $100 again.

It looks like the card was originally intended for Ethereum mining.  Then the price of Ethereum did this:

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/ethereum/

That Ethereum is now valued at less than 8% of what it was worth at its peak makes the card unattractive to miners.  Either whoever Sapphire intended to sell a zillion of those cards to backed out, or they built them assuming that they'd be able to sell them, then couldn't get a buyer.  Perhaps they've finally given up and just want to be rid of their stock, even at a loss, which is why it's such a good deal.

That it was intended for mining is why some of the usual niceties aren't there, including multiple monitor ports and a PCI Express 3.0 x16 connection rather than x8.  (The latter will occasionally be a modest performance hit for gaming, but will rarely matter much.)  If they aren't a deal-breaker for you (they would be for me, as I use three monitors), then go ahead.
  • jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    Quizzical said:
    I assume that you mean this:

https://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-GDDR5-DVI-D-Graphics/dp/B07MCDNQX2/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1549144641

I'd say, go ahead and get it.  It will be about double the performance of what you have now, which is enough to justify the upgrade.  And it could be years until you get that level of performance for under $100 again.

It looks like the card was originally intended for Ethereum mining.  Then the price of Ethereum did this:

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/ethereum/

That Ethereum is now valued at less than 8% of what it was worth at its peak makes the card unattractive to miners.  Either whoever Sapphire intended to sell a zillion of those cards to backed out, or they built them assuming that they'd be able to sell them, then couldn't get a buyer.  Perhaps they've finally given up and just want to be rid of their stock, even at a loss, which is why it's such a good deal.

That it was intended for mining is why some of the usual niceties aren't there, including multiple monitor ports and a PCI Express 3.0 x16 connection rather than x8.  (The latter will occasionally be a modest performance hit for gaming, but will rarely matter much.)  If they aren't a deal-breaker for you (they would be for me, as I use three monitors), then go ahead.
    Yes that is the card thanks....
    Ridelynn said:
    Better deal is the 580 for about $175 right now. 580 is right at double the performance what your 270 does.

That being said, I understand budgets. I don't know about the specific card your looking at. 570 in general is a good card too, and would definitely be an upgrade.  Just not quite as good a deal as the 580 is running right now if you can swing it.
    You might want to edit that, as I think you missed the point of this thread:  you can get a Radeon RX 570 for $100 right now.  It's only one particular SKU, as Sapphire is presumably trying to get rid of a bunch of stock that they had intended for mining.

This reminds me of when Sapphire released a particular SKU of Radeon HD 5850 ("Xtreme") for $140 in April 2011.  Basically, there were a ton of Cypress chips that they needed to get rid of (or possibly that AMD needed to get rid of and gave them to Sapphire at a deep discount).  That was by far the best video card deal if its era, and it would be several years before you could again get that level of performance at that price.  They lasted about a month, then they were gone, never to return.
    Quizzical said:
    Ridelynn said:

You might want to edit that, as I think you missed the point of this thread:  
    As you wish. Done.
    Well I ordered it we will see what happens.....The rest of my PC is a 2nd or 3rd gen i7 2600 and I have only 8GB of RAM.  I only care about playing at 1080 and am hoping I can squeeze another couple years out of this one.  I am looking at adding another 8GB or RAM though. 
    jitter77 said:
    Well I ordered it we will see what happens.....The rest of my PC is a 2nd or 3rd gen i7 2600 and I have only 8GB of RAM.  I only care about playing at 1080 and am hoping I can squeeze another couple years out of this one.  I am looking at adding another 8GB or RAM though. 
    Unless you like to run a lot of things at once, it's not likely that 8 GB of memory is a problem just yet.  Still, this is something that you can check pretty directly.  Open Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete will bring up the option for it) and see how much memory you're using.  If you're using all of your memory while gaming, then adding more will help a lot.  And if you're never going over 6 or 7 GB in use, then adding more won't make a bit of difference for you.
    Ridelynn said:
    Quizzical said:
    Ridelynn said:

As you wish. Done.
    Why do you think that the RX 580 is so much better of a deal?  They're just different bins of the same GPU chip, with the 580 having all 36 compute units enabled, and the 570 32 of them.  For comparison, the R9 270X had 20 compute units, and the ones in the RX 570 and RX 580 are clocked a lot higher, too.  The RX 570 has almost exactly double the theoretical flops of the R9 270X, so it's not like it's just a minor upgrade.

Meanwhile, moving from an RX 570 to an RX 580 adds 1/8 more compute units enabled and clocks them a little higher.  That's worth spending 75% more on the card?  Why?
    edited February 2019
    Quizzical said:
    Ridelynn said:
    Quizzical said:
    Ridelynn said:

As you wish. Done.
    Why do you think that the RX 580 is so much better of a deal?  They're just different bins of the same GPU chip, with the 580 having all 36 compute units enabled, and the 570 32 of them.  For comparison, the R9 270X had 20 compute units, and the ones in the RX 570 and RX 580 are clocked a lot higher, too.  The RX 570 has almost exactly double the theoretical flops of the R9 270X, so it's not like it's just a minor upgrade.

Meanwhile, moving from an RX 570 to an RX 580 adds 1/8 more compute units enabled and clocks them a little higher.  That's worth spending 75% more on the card?  Why?
    A couple of reasons:

First, it's a faster card. Are you going to pay more for it? Yes. The 570 mining card is a good deal, I don't deny that, but I don't think that your getting ripped off by the 580 by any stretch of the imagination. 15% performance may not sound like it's worth 75% price... but compared to a "typical" 570, which are still running $150+, it's a nice deal.

Second, the 570 is a card designed for mining. It's PCI 8, it only has a DVI output, I don't know anything about the cooling on the card, who knows what else. BIOS changes? Future driver issues? Maybe it's perfectly fine. Heck, it's probably perfectly fine. I would just hate to throw out $100 then find out in a few months that something didn't line up... 

The 580's are all nice AIB cards designed for gaming, not mining. A variety of outputs, a variety of cooling solutions, a variety of brands available at that or near that price level. There are even 8GB versions available at that price level.

Third, and this one is a personal thing - I do run multiple monitors. One DVI output won't work. It isn't even HDMI, so I don't believe you can't use Freesync.

In this case, it's not my money. I'm just stating my recommendation. My money would go to the 580. And in fact, it did, I picked one up last week for my son's Birthday.
    [Deleted User]
    Ridelynn said:
    Quizzical said:
    Ridelynn said:
    Quizzical said:
    Ridelynn said:

As you wish. Done.

A couple of reasons:

First, it's a faster card. Are you going to pay more for it? Yes. The 570 mining card is a good deal, I don't deny that, but I don't think that your getting ripped off by the 580 by any stretch of the imagination. 15% performance may not sound like it's worth 75% price... but compared to a "typical" 570, which are still running $150+, it's a nice deal.

Second, the 570 is a card designed for mining. It's PCI 8, it only has a DVI output, I don't know anything about the cooling on the card, who knows what else. BIOS changes? Future driver issues? Maybe it's perfectly fine. Heck, it's probably perfectly fine. I would just hate to throw out $100 then find out in a few months that something didn't line up... 

The 580's are all nice AIB cards designed for gaming, not mining. A variety of outputs, a variety of cooling solutions, a variety of brands available at that or near that price level. There are even 8GB versions available at that price level.

Third, and this one is a personal thing - I do run multiple monitors. One DVI output won't work. It isn't even HDMI, so I don't believe you can't use Freesync.

In this case, it's not my money. I'm just stating my recommendation. My money would go to the 580. And in fact, it did, I picked one up last week for my son's Birthday.
    supposedly the cooling on the card was highly rated.  I only have one monitor  and am currently hooked up DVI so that is not an issue.   Don't get me wrong i would love to have the 580, but for only $100 the 570 was too hard to pass up. 
    jitter77 said:
    Ridelynn said:
    Quizzical said:
    Ridelynn said:
    Quizzical said:
    Ridelynn said:

As you wish. Done.

A couple of reasons:

supposedly the cooling on the card was highly rated.  I only have one monitor  and am currently hooked up DVI so that is not an issue.   Don't get me wrong i would love to have the 580, but for only $100 the 570 was too hard to pass up. 
    Hey, honestly, good luck with it and I hope it runs well. I don't think you made a bad choice at all.