Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com EXPOSED - MMORPG.com

Comments

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    Pretty sure it was a minority that thought this, I would not have bothered giving them the time. This has been my favorite site since you stopped the Nazi-style moderating ;)
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Bananable said:
    Robsolf said:
    I think the problem lies in the fact that some people are too self involved to understand: a reviewer can like or dislike a game more than the reader does, and that that can absolutely occur without any conspiratorial agenda.

It should go without saying, but these days, it clearly doesn't.

I think the proble is that public people opinions should be objective, not personal, like when you discuss it with your friends.

Overwatch is pissing me off, because stipd PR put it to my face all the time. Or LoL I heard about it, but never planned to play it. So it  just existed somewhere out there and afaik it has huge playerbase. But now those stupid glamorous girls pictures are everywhere... sigh.

They want to attract more people to their niche games, so its not surprising that they get so much negative. What am i suppose to say if i dont like it? Especially after they promsed super mega awesome game. look everygame is rpg now...for some reason.

P.S. https://store.steampowered.com/app/743860/Wild_West_Online/

"conspiratorial agenda"
    LOLZ
    Yeah, the reviewers/critics (people that get games for free and dont play games in their free time) tell me to buy new ALPHA version of something that is still unfinished and gonna be in developement for years. And expect me to say good things about it. Really? Theres no game, NOTHING at the moment to buy or even comment.
    Not to mention that YTbers/streamers even MAKE BIG money on KIDS (that also have to buy games) just playing these games. (they dont even bother do to walkthroughs anymore..it take too much time...and its so booring - best advertisement ever!)
    And please dont tell me that devs dont have agreement with hardware companies.

Artifact? Really? PAID card game when all other companies made f2p versions years ago? When  kids crazy with BR...they release it now? And whole game is about make money on people selling those cards for REAL money on market, like they do with CSGO and Dota.

EVOLUTION! TECHNOLOGIES!

It really feels like they do outsourcing. They leave developement to the students while designers go on vacation or somth.
    really not sure what you're trying to say, here.

Ron Paul 2008?

Here's a conspiracy: it looks like Cecily Strong is trolling me:

[Deleted User]bartoni33
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited January 2019
    Well there are REAL people and then there are shills/lackeys/kiss ass/partners etc etc.

The term "professionalism" has always bothered me,it is like an EXCUSE to avoid the very integrity talked about.

'Bias" another concern is one which can be avoided by just that,avoiding the real truths behind a game and the studio.So all you do then is talk about everything positive,what can help the studio make sales a business approach but NOT a writer or a game reviewer approach.
    If professionalism means "pick and choose your words wisely" it is a FAKE approach,you are not being a real person who would talk to readers like you would your friend.

EVERYTHING ...ALWAYS looks like a business approach and NEVER like a gaming site or an honest game review site.

You know why some readers like myself have to point out the negatives so much?Well because we need BALANCE,we already gets tons of positive endorsement/advertising from MANY angles ,way more angles than negative could ever keep up with.
    You tubers,streamers,partnering with websites,sponsored in several media facets,professional game reviewers,Reddit,Twitter,marketing videos,banner ads on non related sites,Twitch,fanbois,it is endless how much advertising a game gets.

So i mention it often,if you choose the "fake" professionalism approach you are NEVER going to be an honest person and treat readers with disrespect.The bottom line is this will be the approach of everyone tied to gaming that is earning their living from games,they will never be forthright and honest with onlookers.BTW i already touched on it "avoiding OR dancing around it carefully"important information is part of NOT being honest.
    Gdemamibartoni33

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• shetlandslarsenshetlandslarsen Member UncommonPosts: 203
    This is a good site. Keep up the good work. 
    Robsolf
    I am a scizo misanthrope. So one day I may go BANZAI on your post.
    Have not yet though. Maybe there is hope?
    Nah there is really none for me or the human race. 
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Roman291 said:

I've reading articles on here since I got into MMORPGs before I joined the site in 2006. I will probably never lose trust in this site. Even if i don't agree with a columnist, because I always loved the site's honesty, and integrity. And honestly, i trust this site the most with all my gaming news.

I have been on this site since 2004. It has gotten progressively better over the years and has become the only site I trust to give information that can be used. I have, over the years, had issue with certain members of this site, but the site and staff are doing a great job overall.

Keep up the good work.
    bartoni33

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    Got permabannedon 4 accounts, especially while i was critical to overhyped GW2. I was banned for 1/2 year, for 1year and also permabanned. Now i got warnings on this account, wich i fully accept. Back in 2004-2010, the era of endless influx of mmos, you guys were swimming in cash- hence you banned and deleted every critical comment because those ggames filled your bellys with cash till you exploded. I remember how you bought that forum for 2mil and it backlashed. Now banns and comments dont get deleted as often because you cant be corrupt as much anymore. There are not enough mmos to fill your bellys with cash, hence you had to lose your identity and started to show up other genres too, translating into a common games site, wich almost destroyed your usp. You can say you try hard to remain your high standard, but you cant say you write your news without a cash tag behind, even if its not promoted as such. Thereis a circlejerk of news that still keep coming: guild wars 2 and WoW, top 10, best 10, etc. just hat those games remain in the head of us.now you are starting to add mobile mmos, wich is fine by me. The world keeps on moving and you have to catch up. There isnt a single ddecent mobile rpg review site, maybe this is anotger chance to bring that young adhs audience to you.
    GdemamigoozmaniaAeander
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I find the writers on this site are gamers first, journalists second. My impression is that when Susie and others are excited about a new game. It's almost always because they personally love what they are playing. This is their interest and hobby outside of this site. I imagine they could make a lot more $ writing on different sites hosting different subjects. They choose to write here instead. They love gaming like most of us. When I read about games on sites like Forbes etc. I don't get the feeling they actually care about the games. Just writing about something popular in the genre.  

My take is this. When you watch Conan's "Clueless Gamer", most reviewer sites remind me of Conan. While the staff here reminds me of his co-star Aaron. They legitimately love what they do. They play these games at home even after the review is finished. I know the reviews have integrity.

https://youtu.be/SfjLRuE1CLw

[Deleted User]MadFrenchie
  • RnjypsyRnjypsy Member UncommonPosts: 64

Aeander said:

Bloodaxes said:

This must have something to do with that developer who didn't like what people said about his game and won't cover news here any more.

With that said, while I understand the notion of this story, there are times that it seems like it. The "issue" for me at least, is when opinions are clearly evident in the narrative despite the issues are real. I don't know about you, but when certain articles are written (Obviously not all types mainly talking about reviews or when addressing blatant issues widely known), and problems are glossed over simply because the writer enjoys the game it's not going to bode well.

I've been on this site for years now, and I understand how it had to evolve to keep relevant since mmos are a dying breed (sadly). That however shouldn't affect the way reviews are conducted. They should be impartial, and your opinion should NOT be the main factor of the article.

All I have to say. Take it however you like it.

Ironically, the situation that created this article came from directly the opposite: Tim was fairly straightforward in criticizing the actions of a crowdfunded MMORPG company, and that's what resulted in company "taking their ball and going home" (yes, the company was literally as petty about it as that sounds).

Ah, so that's what this was about. Chronicles of Elyria.

No big loss there. This site is more relevant than that game will ever be.

I pretty much agree with this. In addition I think they will be taking the balls of all their kickstarter donators and now whale financers with them too ....just sayin'.
  • ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    nice, you start to remove comments too ;)

"I always knew this website was corrupted"
  • zenomexzenomex Member UncommonPosts: 242
    "If your actions are such that you don’t want news sites to report them, why did you take them?"

Haha wauw im glad I didn't read that whole sobstory, it ends with blaming the reader hahaha
    MadFrenchie
  • TsiyaTsiya Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Yes, thank you. This article wasn't necessary, your readers know and trust you. I missed the original kerfluffle(love this word!) but read most of the thread that was posted above. ANY dev who has that reaction to coverage when the article is based on current information is hiding something. I've been to PCGamer prolly 4-5 times, mostly because they had some good guides for that Switch Zelda game that google handed me. I don't read their articles. Been here since 2006 and only post when I have something to add to the conversation. In this case, I'd like to add my support for Tim, Suzie and the rest of the gang I've come to know, even if I don't always agree with them.
    GdemamiMrMelGibson

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Scellow said:
    nice, you start to remove comments too ;)

"I always knew this website was corrupted"
    Your original comment is still there.. what are you talking about?
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,495
    Not enough lead in to this article to explain WTF it's actually about or what prompted it. If Real Life® had you busy, you might have missed it. Tim's work is usually pretty decent but this piece has confused the hell out of me.
    NorseGod
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    edited February 2019
    *delete*

Nope.

Post edited by NorseGod on
    Gdemami
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
    edited February 2019
    *delete*

Post edited by NorseGod on
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Quizzical said:
    Lokero said:
    Quizzical said:
    What led to this article? It sounds like you posted something, got blasted for it in the comments (because that's what happens when you post things on the Internet), and are now all defensive about it.
    MassivelyOP posted a similar article, awarding CoE the "MMO with the stormiest future" award.

Caspian threw a tantrum and banished both sites from his kingdom.
    If this whole article is in response to one developer not liking one article that you wrote, then you need a thicker skin.  I hope that's not the case.
    If you've been following this mini-saga from the start - Tim's original article, Caspian's reaction, etc., you'd know that it has nothing to do with skin thickness.

The remarkable part for me was that Caspian in his snit actually came out and publicly said what other more professional game studios never say but really want: that the gaming media be fawning fan boys or they will pressure them by withholding invitations, junkets and exclusives if they misbehave.

That's the real story to me: a developer actually came out and said it out loud.

GdemamiNorseGod
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Quizzical said:
    Lokero said:
    Quizzical said:
    What led to this article? It sounds like you posted something, got blasted for it in the comments (because that's what happens when you post things on the Internet), and are now all defensive about it.
    MassivelyOP posted a similar article, awarding CoE the "MMO with the stormiest future" award.

If this whole article is in response to one developer not liking one article that you wrote, then you need a thicker skin.  I hope that's not the case.
    If you've been following this mini-saga from the start - Tim's original article, Caspian's reaction, etc., you'd know that it has nothing to do with skin thickness.

The remarkable part for me was that Caspian in his snit actually came out and publicly said what other more professional game studios never say but really want: that the gaming media be fawning fan boys or they will pressure them by withholding invitations, junkets and exclusives if they misbehave.

That's the real story to me: a developer actually came out and said it out loud.

Is that what this thread was all about? I thought he was generally speaking. I wrote a novel in response.

How awkward....
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Iselin said:
    Quizzical said:
    Lokero said:
    Quizzical said:

NorseGodGdemamibcbully
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    You guys ALL suck but since it seems you are liking me I can’t leave, now can I?  <3

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    NorseGodSBFord[Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Xasapis said:
    Iselin said:
    Quizzical said:
    Lokero said:
    Quizzical said:

Yup. Privately one on one is the way they usually do it. Junkets... all expenses paid trips for exclusive previews or conferences, wining and dining is seductive as hell especially for small youtube "influencers." That's the carrot. Caspian just threatened using the stick.
    GdemamiNorseGodbcbully
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited February 2019
    Well this is nothing of a surprise,i talk about it all the time.I cannot remember the last time a reviewer has posted "sponsored".This is actually ILLEGAL,and could get that large firm in serious trouble,large fines.
    BTW "sponsored" by law has several forms,one of which is ANY form of financial ties,like given any free products,flown out to studios are all financial gains.

"beware"lol again i mention it all the time and i cannot be persuaded by anyone because i have a very long history and knowledge of game design.I also can tell just by the way people talk,if it sounds like advertising or endorsing,that is EXACTLY what it is.

Many of were in Angry Joe's channel when he was talking out loud describing how he wanted to present his client's game piece by piece.Yet i can't remember the last time he posted sponsored.There was a board game where the owner was in the chat and actually came out and said "it doesn't look like Joe is interested in the game",and he left the channel.Thing is that owner didn't happen to just randomly pop in,he knew an arrangement was in place so wanted to be there.

The bigger picture?This only happens because there is a lot of really naive,not very smart people getting easily duped by a lot of crap marketing.One such case is going on right now Anthem is VERY average and imo below average but it is a large business behind it,able to send out money and bribes all over the internet.

It doesn't even have to be a direct bias,MANY streamers are making money streaming particular games,there is no way in hell they want to jeopardize their financial income and will not say anything bad about those games.

NorseGodGdemamimaskedweasel

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Wizardry said:
    again i mention it all the time and i cannot be persuaded by anyone because i have a very long history and knowledge of game design.I also can tell just by the way people talk,if it sounds like advertising or endorsing,that is EXACTLY what it is.
    ....superpowers!
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    "We don’t sit around in low lit rooms smoking cigars made from the fat money we get to shill for big publishers."

We know you don't but that image of the MMORPG.com staff at work will stay in my mind for some time. :D

Phaserlight
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    I do think it would be a good idea if people who had put money into a game do not report on it as a general principle to prevent spurious allegations.

Apart from that lets leave this here, I do not think MMORPG.com has a case to answer, I don't think anyone's integrity has been called into question.

As I don't find fault I must be a co-consirator so it is time for me to partake of one of my big fat cigars and have shot or two of my finest single malt whiskey. :)
    Mendel
  • FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501
    LOL you guys were exposed back when you were pimping TORtanic, fixing the ESO votes and pushing Pokket as a legitimate game reviewer. But yeah......
    NorseGod