Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Playing Diablo 3 again and having lots of fun

IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
I decided recently that I was going to get into the part of D3 that I had mostly ignored back when I played it: adventure mode, bounties and rifts.

I'm sure most of D3 players did that years ago but that part of the game was practically all new to me. And much to my surprise it's a heck of a lot of fun.

I decided to do it fresh instead of using my old gear tabs as a crutch so I started a new Season 15 Wizard a couple of weeks ago with the goal of doing all the tasks required to get the Season 15 armor set which I just finished getting today. The last bit of that was doing a level 20 Greater Rift as well as lot of Torment IV boss kill quests.

There's actually a lot more depth to adventure mode than I'd realized and I was just tickled pink when I found out I could use Kanai's Cube to strip some of those special effects from a legendary item and use one for weapons, one for armor and one for jewelry as 3 additional passives. Probably an old story for you guys but an awesome "new" feature for me. Same thing with the special gems that can be leveled up that I never knew existed lol.

Now I just have to keep refining my build and take it beyond my current comfy Torment IV :)
"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
― CD PROJEKT RED

H0urg1assScorchien[Deleted User][Deleted User]ConstantineMerusGorwe

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    D3 is a really fun game , highest ive gotten with a decent survivability is T10 , broke into the top 1000 players at one point , im certain ive fallen from there tho .. Been away a bit , maybe time to jump back in ..
    [Deleted User]
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Adventure mode fixed the game but it also gave them a crutch to be able recycle old content very easily instead of making new stuff.

It does my head in to be honest. I could smash out a few new maps in a couple days if I had access to their asset library. Why.. oh why.. do they hardly do.. anything.. with what they have.
    JeroKane
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    I have it on Switch, but can't settle on a class. For a first time playthrough, would you skip campaign and go to adventure mode?
    --------------------------------------------
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I have it on Switch, but can't settle on a class. For a first time playthrough, would you skip campaign and go to adventure mode?
    Well... these types of games are all about grinding and loot pinatas so either would be fine but I'm glad I did story first since it does break up the grind with interesting stories :)

Whatever you do though don't take their difficulty settings too seriously. Once you have a good blue or yellow weapon go ahead and kick it up to hard or even expert for much faster XP gain and better loot.

[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

As much as I despised Diablo 3 at launch I have to admit once they took the damn real money AH out of the game they did make some great improvements. However by the time they had done that I was already hooked on Path of Exile and then Grim Dawn and have never looked back.
    I play both PoE and Grim Dawn too and when I'm bingeing on either one of those I like those best. Right now D3 is it for me though. What can I say? I'm a serial polygamerist.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I like D3 and Grim Dawn both. But I can't stand POE. That game is so overhyped. Everyone loves to say POE is complexed which is a lot BS. What they really do is cheat the player by taking away all the hard work they do to get the right gear and resistances. Once you hit act 5 or 6 then they up the difficulty and take away you resistances. They take it all away and fanboys call this complex.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    D3 like Wow  is all about your setup/gear and not YOU the player,so how is it fun when you are a non factor?
    The only thing i found interesting was a first time play through of the atmosphere and maps but after that there is no GAME,it is mindless spam killing of fodder that has literally no AI.
    If there was actual strategy action AND reaction then you need to improve the graphics/maps/camera and only then could be a decent game.
    It doesn't matter what mode you are in,i is the exact same maps,same AI same fodder,just the same over and over.
    I put a month into the game but after the first two weeks i was pushing it to go back in.The gear crafting seemed VERY much unfinished,like about as slack an effort as Blizzard could muster.
    Just like Wow because that is basically the same formula Blizzard uses all the time is to have you need a tier of gear to do the next tier over and over,again NOT about YOU the player but about your gear/setup.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Torval said:
    My favorite is a Demon Hunter. It's been a while since I played but I had him built for max summons, turrets, and shootiness. Lots of fun.

I really liked the class design in D3.  Though, funnily enough, DH is the one class I really just couldn't stand in the game.

The D3 Monk is one of my all-time favorite classes.  They actually did a really good job of porting it into HotS as well.
    The classes played great and felt amazing.  The problem was more with the level design and loot systems, armor sets forcing you into specific builds, etc.

I haven't played the game in ages, for the record :tongue:
    Gorwe said:
    Lokero said:
    Torval said:
    My favorite is a Demon Hunter. It's been a while since I played but I had him built for max summons, turrets, and shootiness. Lots of fun.

I really liked the class design in D3.  Though, funnily enough, DH is the one class I really just couldn't stand in the game.

The D3 Monk is one of my all-time favorite classes.  They actually did a really good job of porting it into HotS as well.
    The classes played great and felt amazing.  The problem was more with the level design and loot systems, armor sets forcing you into specific builds, etc.

I just adore both the Crusader and the Monk. Witch Doctor's really interesting too. Haven't tried Necro and Barb's ok. DH and Wiz...I'm not a big fan of those tbh.
    I like lazy builds where my buffs and or pets do a lot of the work. And for that the Wiz and Witch Doctor are great.

My current Wiz "main" only uses 2 active skills: Hydra and disintegrate and no signature spell is needed while keeping my mana pool pegged at 100% thanks to buffs. My familiar, storm armor and hydra do their own damage for me. Thanks to the season 15 armor set, I proc meteors of the 4 different elements constantly.

It's lazy ass build heaven :)
    [Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Wizardry said:
    D3 like Wow  is all about your setup/gear and not YOU the player,so how is it fun when you are a non factor?
    The only thing i found interesting was a first time play through of the atmosphere and maps but after that there is no GAME,it is mindless spam killing of fodder that has literally no AI.
    If there was actual strategy action AND reaction then you need to improve the graphics/maps/camera and only then could be a decent game.
    It doesn't matter what mode you are in,i is the exact same maps,same AI same fodder,just the same over and over.
    I put a month into the game but after the first two weeks i was pushing it to go back in.The gear crafting seemed VERY much unfinished,like about as slack an effort as Blizzard could muster.
    Just like Wow because that is basically the same formula Blizzard uses all the time is to have you need a tier of gear to do the next tier over and over,again NOT about YOU the player but about your gear/setup.
    You're missing the whole point of Diablo-like ARPGs. They are their own thing and are not meant to be taken seriously like true RPGs. They are meant to be mindless looter grinders and any requirement for planning and thinking comes after the fights when you tune your skills and gear for specific purposes. The comic book quality stories in them are just gravy.

What sets Diablo apart from the others (and this has been true since the original one) is top notch production quality.
    [Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited December 2018
    Iselin said:
    Wizardry said:
    You're missing the whole point of Diablo-like ARPGs. They are their own thing and are not meant to be taken seriously like true RPGs. They are meant to be mindless looter grinders and any requirement for planning and thinking comes after the fights when you tune your skills and gear for specific purposes. The comic book quality stories in them are just gravy.

What sets Diablo apart from the others (and this has been true since the original one) is top notch production quality.
    Also I'm certain I could outplay Wiz even if he had better gear.. making out there is no gameplay skill involved is an insult to his own intelligence.
    [Deleted User]
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • avsco10avsco10 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Diablo 3 has definitely been addictive to say the least. Every time a new season starts, I log in ASAP and grind as long as possible, go to bed, wake up, go to work, thinking about Diablo. Then comes the RNG of getting the right rolls on all of your gear, getting the right rolls on all of your ancient gear, praying for primal ancient versions of the items you need (with the right rolls), finally giving up after 100's of hours and innumberable mats expended, only to hear about the bonuses of the next season, and be lured back in.
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    Iselin said:
    Gorwe said:
    Lokero said:
    Torval said:

I just adore both the Crusader and the Monk. Witch Doctor's really interesting too. Haven't tried Necro and Barb's ok. DH and Wiz...I'm not a big fan of those tbh.
    I like lazy builds where my buffs and or pets do a lot of the work. And for that the Wiz and Witch Doctor are great.

My current Wiz "main" only uses 2 active skills: Hydra and disintegrate and no signature spell is needed while keeping my mana pool pegged at 100% thanks to buffs. My familiar, storm armor and hydra do their own damage for me. Thanks to the season 15 armor set, I proc meteors of the 4 different elements constantly.

If you want a lazy build, get the Nagelring and use it for your jewelry effect from Kanai's. Wait for all four to summon before hitting bosses. Instant 40000% of your highest elemental damage to start the fight.
    [Deleted User]
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited December 2018
    Haven't touched D3 since 2014. PoE Betrayal right now is my currently addiction.
  • kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 259
    I like Diablo 3, it's not bad but well, i can't play two arpgs and PoE is superior imo...it has to be hard to make Diablo 4 because it's not easy to beat PoE, sometimes i wonder how popular diablo 3 would be, if it was done by unknown dev team and not blizzard
    frostymug said:
    Iselin said:
    Gorwe said:
    Lokero said:
    Torval said:

If you want a lazy build, get the Nagelring and use it for your jewelry effect from Kanai's. Wait for all four to summon before hitting bosses. Instant 40000% of your highest elemental damage to start the fight.
    But they're so noisy lol.
    frostymug

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    Iselin said:
    frostymug said:
    Iselin said:
    Gorwe said:
    Lokero said:
    Torval said:

But they're so noisy lol.
    They are pretty annoying. I normally run a Witch Doctor so I'm used to all the pet noise
  • WenchesnmeadWenchesnmead Member UncommonPosts: 35
    I had stopped playing D3 a few years back, then when season 14 was starting i said eff it lets see how it is.

I was so addicted. The changes to the game were phenomenal to me. 

I loved how you had a set for basically every play style.

Ad yes while there is always a top meta build for each class. Who gives a shit. Play what you like and pick a build you like. 

I was doing an invoker crusader and was just blasting through GR levels and having a great time.

I didn't have enough time to play this current season due to real life BS but with season 16 coming in a month and all the buffs to the gear sets I am hyped.

The ring of royal grandeur buff to me is sort of meh to be honest compared to the last 2 seasons buffs but nonetheless will serve its purpose.

I already know I will be playing a raekors barb. Loved that build this season so its great to see it get buffed (along with everything else lol) and be the starter set for barbs.

I also have been playing a lot of D2 Median Xl mod lately as well. For those of you who haven't played it you are really missing out big time. Makes D2 a whole new game and so many QOL changes.

I still play POE casually but I got the game when it was still in beta back 6 or 7 years ago, i dont really remember but it only had like 3 acts back then if I am remembering right. It was so long ago tbh. So i did my time in the game.The current incarnation is fantastic but right now im pretty burnt on it.

See you guys in season 16 :)
    Iselin
    Necroing my own thread just to say I'm still having fun in D3 and learned a whole bunch since my original post.

Just last night I soloed GR 100 on my new seasonal wizard and T13 content? Pfft... it's trivial now :) I even have a DH alt for T13 group bounties because she's so bloody fast compared to my much more powerful wiz.

I'm starting to see why some players want Blizz to add a couple more torment levels.
    [Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited January 2019
    I havent played for years now. I still have my Hardcore wizard at around 300 paragon level with a full Tal Rasha set. Back then it was really good. Now it is probably shit :).

Not at all. Tal Rasha even got buffed quite a bit this latest patch and the meteor shower build has like the top 100 spots on the wiz solo GR leaderboard.

It's the build I run.

This is my build, such as it is, for this season:

https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/Iselin-1237/hero/107918861

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    I've gone back and tried it a few times....I don't know what it is about the combat that just bores me.  I think it's the skill designs.  The skills seem like they are more at home in D2, in the sense that they are not very dynamic or interesting.  By comparison Lost Ark looks to have lots of fun and impactful skills.  D3 to me feels like beating pinatas and for that reason I've never gotten that far.  

Perhaps it will change at late levels/areas but I haven't made it past like level 30ish as a result.