Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anthem questions

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
1)  Is this an MMO?  This site describes it as a quasi-MMO.  I have no idea what that's supposed to mean.

2)  Is the combat very fast-paced and twitchy?  Lots of movement while fighting?  I'm getting older and slower all the time.

Thanks!

Comments

• AlmostLancelotAlmostLancelot Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Over time I've seen you ask this question in regards to a number of new titles.

Games are not getting slower, they are getting faster and twitchier all the time. There is a heightened focus on action combat these days because it provides a more intense and visceral experience that assists with overall immersion. That isn't going to change.

Regardless, watching a single Youtube video on Anthem would answer both your questions. That really should be your first stop.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    It's more like co-op.  The only time you see other players is when you group with up to three others, or sometimes during free roam.  The quasi-MMO thing is probably from marketing who wants everyone to buy a copy.

Combat is fast-paced and can be intense.  Add to that using the jetpack to fly and hover while fighting and dodging, I would call it very twitchy.  Lots of demo playthrough videos up on youtube now.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited January 2019
    Yes, it's twitch based and fully fast paced action combat. The combat is similar to the Mass Effect games, except the first one, if you've played them.

Quasi means 'almost' or 'sort of, but not really'.

It's basically like Destiny or Warframe in terms of how the multiplayer part works. There's persistent instanced shared areas, instanced shared hubs, private group instances and solo instances. There's also a solo hub area that provides most of the main narrative for you. There is no large overworld map but there are larger areas with random or timed events where you will see other players.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    1)  Is this an MMO?  This site describes it as a quasi-MMO.  I have no idea what that's supposed to mean.

2)  Is the combat very fast-paced and twitchy?  Lots of movement while fighting?  I'm getting older and slower all the time.

Thanks!

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    I don't think you can call it an MMO when the max number of concurrent players in a single instance (hub) is 16; sounds more like marketing bs to me...
    Gdemami
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    These type of games have more common elements with ARPGs than MMORPGs. Just imagine Diablo with an over the shoulder camera instead the classic top down. Every other mechanic is similar or identical.
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    Anyone know if the open demo starting 2/1 is the exact same demo as the one from last weekend?  Wanting to know if I need to download a different client or patch up...
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Go try out Warframe - the questions asked here would be answered by running that game.

Not that Anthem is a copy of Warframe, but it summarizes a lot of what you are asking pretty well.