Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shadow of the Colossus-Inspired Praey for the Gods to Launch Early Access Today

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited January 2019 in Videos Discussion

imageShadow of the Colossus-Inspired Praey for the Gods to Launch Early Access Today

No Matter Studios has announced that its Shadow of the Colossus-inspired "Praey for the Gods" will be launching into Steam early access at 9:00 am Pacific / 12:00 pm Eastern today. The game centers on a lone hero "sent to the edge of a dying world to discover the mystery behind a never-ending winter". Players will find massive beasts to scale and defeat as they glide, swim or climb through the game world.

Read the full story here

Comments

• BlueThunderBearBlueThunderBear Member RarePosts: 228
    Sooooo is this a survival game or?
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Certainly seems as if it has elements. On Steam, they use "open world, adventure, RPG and simulation" to describe it :)
    BlueThunderBearTokken

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Seems interesting, I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks!
    SBFord

SBFord said:

Certainly seems as if it has elements. On Steam, they use "open world, adventure, RPG and simulation" to describe it :)

SBFord said:

I meant to say that this seems... Thematically confusing to me? I cant tell if its going for an RPG or Survival or what but what I do know is that I see giant baddies and therefore I want to climb them.
    SBFordSovrath
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

SBFord said:

SBFord said:

I meant to say that this seems... Thematically confusing to me? I cant tell if its going for an RPG or Survival or what but what I do know is that I see giant baddies and therefore I want to climb them.

I think it's both. And SOLD!
    SBFordBlueThunderBear
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited January 2019
    Shadow of the Colossus never got old. I miss my ps2.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited January 2019
    sorry was looking at Dauntless not this game.
    Dauntless is not good and not worth my time,so i will check this Pray for gods game out in a bit.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

looking at it, it might be less rpg. So there are puzzles and things to explore and do but I don't think their is character development. Which in truth, is fine by me.

I don't think Shadow of the Colossus had that either. Still going to get it.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    edited January 2019
    Wizardry said:
    sorry was looking at Dauntless not this game.
    Dauntless is not good and not worth my time,so i will check this Pray for gods game out in a bit.

Heh you edited your post just as I was going to comment on the monumental statement you made in it, one I have honestly never seen you make:

"I am enjoying my time in (insert any game here)"!

And that game was Atlas of all games.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

markost22 said:

Shadow of the Colossus ...
    A game considered by many people as being a real masterpiece ... but for me, it turned out to be one of my biggest disappointments in video games.
    I did not have the opportunity to play the original game. So I discovered it with the remake

You really have to like the style that Team ICO present to enjoy their games. All of their games are great, but they are really exploration driven, with little to no story explanation, you learn through exploration, and even then it's really scarce. It's off putting to a lot of people to just be thrown into something and have to feel your way around.

markost22 said:

A game considered by many people as being a real masterpiece ... but for me, it turned out to be one of my biggest disappointments in video games.
    I did not have the opportunity to play the original game. So I discovered it with the remake

You really have to like the style that Team ICO present to enjoy their games. All of their games are great, but they are really exploration driven, with little to no story explanation, you learn through exploration, and even then it's really scarce. It's off putting to a lot of people to just be thrown into something and have to feel your way around.
    I think that's why I liked it. For me it is a masterpiece.
    Panther2103BlueThunderBear

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Sovrath said:

markost22 said:

Oh I agree. All 3 of their games were amazing to me. ICO was probably my favorite but they all have something that made me love them.

Praey For the Gods looks quite good, not sure it will have the same mood, but it definitely looks cool.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited January 2019
    So watched videos of the little we have to see.
    It looks lie ka single player game and i don't see the OPEN world at all but that might be there later however it is their job not mine to show it to us instead of linear alleys.

Environments look cool/nice but not much color going on.The creatures hmm they seem to have some cool Ai.
    There is actually quite a bit of stuff going on like it is immersive and cool to see the player walking through the deep snow.Not a big fan of that targeting reticle when doing the interactive stuff.
    Now the problem area that  i foresee.It looks like underneath all that glitter it is just a puzzle game " a weak one at that"and a one spot one creature fight.So it is not doing much for the world or the variance in game play.

I don't see anything that the world brings to the game other than looking good.Like the snow didn't seem to affect or do anything to combat or how the game is played.it uses some rock climbing but nothing we haven't seen before.

The sound effects are really good/immersive.Does it look worthy of a purchase?Too early,have not seen enough.I will say that i am not into any Monster hunter World type game play,Dauntless looks to have jumped on that bandwagon and this one is pretty darn close albeit maybe closer to another game that came out about 2 years ago that i forget name of that allowed you to climb onto the creatures.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    edited January 2019
    Wizardry said:
     this one is pretty darn close albeit maybe closer to another game that came out about 2 years ago that i forget name of that allowed you to climb onto the creatures.

The game you're thinking about from two years ago is Shadow of the Colossus (or... well, its high definition edition)

Sovrath said:

looking at it, it might be less rpg. So there are puzzles and things to explore and do but I don't think their is character development. Which in truth, is fine by me.

I don't think Shadow of the Colossus had that either. Still going to get it.

Looking at it on Steam it looks to me like Shadow of tge Colossus with some Legend of Zelda elements (find ruins, complete puzzles/dungeons to get new tool, use new tool to fight specified boss) and some light survival elements. Looks like a buy for me.
    Sovrath
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited January 2019

Wizardry said:

So watched videos of the little we have to see.
    It looks lie ka single player game and i don't see the OPEN world at all but that might be there later however it is their job not mine to show it to us instead of linear alleys.

Environments look cool/nice but not much color going on.The creatures hmm they seem to have some cool Ai.
    There is actually quite a bit of stuff going on like it is immersive and cool to see the player walking through the deep snow.Not a big fan of that targeting reticle when doing the interactive stuff.
    Now the problem area that  i foresee.It looks like underneath all that glitter it is just a puzzle game " a weak one at that"and a one spot one creature fight.So it is not doing much for the world or the variance in game play.

I don't see anything that the world brings to the game other than looking good.Like the snow didn't seem to affect or do anything to combat or how the game is played.it uses some rock climbing but nothing we haven't seen before.

The sound effects are really good/immersive.Does it look worthy of a purchase?Too early,have not seen enough.I will say that i am not into any Monster hunter World type game play,Dauntless looks to have jumped on that bandwagon and this one is pretty darn close albeit maybe closer to another game that came out about 2 years ago that i forget name of that allowed you to climb onto the creatures.

Open world does not mean seamless map, Wiz my old buddy ol' friend. If you can choose to go down any of the corridors and the world is made of corridors, it's an open world.

If your definition is different then you at least need to accept that this is what marketing teams mean, so there's no point complaining about it.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    This small indy dev team was sued by Bethesda. Bethesda claimed that "Prey for the gods" caused consumer confusion with their own game called "Prey".

This small team didn't want to put all of their kickstarter funds to feed the scum of the earth lawyers, so they renamed their game Praey for the gods.

SBFordLokeroBlueThunderBearCryomatrix[Deleted User]
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Sovrath said:

markost22 said:

SotC is absolutely one of my favorite games of all time.

I would like to see someone make a version of it that kept the stellar Colossus-style fights but added more depth to the world, though.
    I think the main content was pretty much perfectly done, but so much more could be done with the supporting world.

Maybe this game will at least have a few NPCs scattered about.  I kind of hate when you exist in a vacuum. 
    Even though you were pretty much alone-against-the-world in Dark Souls, they made the world feel a little more alive with a similar setting simply by having other (un)living people around.

That said, Team ICO did the right thing by focusing on the most important features and getting it right, rather than succumbing to the lure of feature creep.

Dauzqul said:

This small indy dev team was sued by Bethesda. Bethesda claimed that "Prey for the gods" caused consumer confusion with their own game called "Prey".

This small team didn't want to put all of their kickstarter funds to feed the scum of the earth lawyers, so they renamed their game Praey for the gods.

You know, as a decades long fan of Bethesda: Screw em.

Im not going to lie and say Ill never buy another Bethesda game because I know that as soon as Elder Scrolls 6 drops my wallet will open, but theyve really shown themselves to be anti-consumerist butt-holes.
    Lokero
    Lokero said:
    Sovrath said:

markost22 said:

I would like to see someone make a version of it that kept the stellar Colossus-style fights but added more depth to the world, though.
    I think the main content was pretty much perfectly done, but so much more could be done with the supporting world.

Maybe this game will at least have a few NPCs scattered about.  I kind of hate when you exist in a vacuum. 
    Even though you were pretty much alone-against-the-world in Dark Souls, they made the world feel a little more alive with a similar setting simply by having other (un)living people around.

That said, Team ICO did the right thing by focusing on the most important features and getting it right, rather than succumbing to the lure of feature creep.
    I think it's better there were no npc's.

It paints a much better picture of the struggle and "quest" that the protagonist is on.

He is at the end of his rope, he has no more choice and has embarked on a lonely, dangerous journey in order to bring back this woman.

It paints his solitude into the game narrative. There is no one to turn to and no one to help. It's just him and his obsession. It's very powerful.
    [Deleted User]Lokero

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Sovrath said:
    Lokero said:
    Sovrath said:

markost22 said:

I think it's better there were no npc's.

It paints a much better picture of the struggle and "quest" that the protagonist is on.

He is at the end of his rope, he has no more choice and has embarked on a lonely, dangerous journey in order to bring back this woman.

It paints his solitude into the game narrative. There is no one to turn to and no one to help. It's just him and his obsession. It's very powerful.
    From a story perspective, I totally agree.  It fit the narrative of that particular story.

But, from a game perspective -- such as in another game(perhaps Praey), there could have been a lot more side-content to flesh out the world a little.
    I know that wasn't Team ICO's goal.  They focused on what they were going for and did it well. 

But, I'd like to see a different game expand into a wider-world with similar gameplay.

Bit off-topic:  Since you guys like SotC, is The Last Guardian worthwhile?  I haven't played that one.  It sounded more Ico than SotC, which, to me, is disappointing.
  • TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 430
    edited February 2019
    Watching Tangent (Twitch) play right now. A lot like SotC, Zelda, Dark Souls but a little clunkier. And by his estimation 'There's a lot that's good about this game but the boss fights are the worst part'. Also, weapons break, like in Zelda.

The Dark Souls comparison is mine, from watching some of the smaller boss fights and the trash mob fights. Dodging, positioning, telegraphed attacks, etc.

Right now he's fighting a Frost Giant looking chap... with his (her) fists.

There are survival elements. Cold weather, gathering materials and food/health. I did notice him use something to upgrade one of the clothing items.

One bug he's experiencing is when getting to the point of climbing on the giant's back, twice he's teleported to the shoulders. Not great for the whole climbing mechanic. (Just now third time tp'd).

So now he just said it went from it being SotC meets Dark Souls, to Lords of the Fallen meets The Surge. Ok, done editing now.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    steam? has the bad reviews started yet? (sigh)*

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

edited February 2019

Tokken said:

I have to say, I've been playing this for a few hours and I love this game.

The environment is amazing (great job on the feeling/graphics for deep snow) and even though I find myself at low health, desperately looking for some animals to hunt, and have been on the precipice of death before, it's very fun.

It does have that "Breath of the Wild - your weapon can break very soon" mechanic and that is a hit/miss for me.

I have no problems with weapons/items breaking but the items don't last as long as I think they should.

On one hand that can be fun when some draugr (that's what they remind me of) jump out of the snow and start attacking you but that can also be annoying knowing that you need to have several weapons on you "just in case."

This is a definite play for me but it's not going to be for everyone because of the survival mechanic. It isn't brutal but though I think it's fun to try to find some shelter or wood or else I'll die, not everyone will like this. It really does feel like breath of the wild had a baby with Shadow of the colossus but with a greater emphasis on staying alive.
    Lokero

edited February 2019

Sovrath said:

Tokken said:

I have to say, I've been playing this for a few hours and I love this game.

The environment is amazing (great job on the feeling/graphics for deep snow) and even though I find myself at low health, desperately looking for some animals to hunt, and have been on the precipice of death before, it's very fun.

It does have that "Breath of the Wild - your weapon can break very soon" mechanic and that is a hit/miss for me.

I have no problems with weapons/items breaking but the items don't last as long as I think they should.

On one hand that can be fun when some draugr (that's what they remind me of) jump out of the snow and start attacking you but that can also be annoying knowing that you need to have several weapons on you "just in case."

This is a definite play for me but it's not going to be for everyone because of the survival mechanic. It isn't brutal but though I think it's fun to try to find some shelter or wood or else I'll die, not everyone will like this.

It really does feel like breath of the wild had a baby with Shadow of the colossus but with a greater emphasis on staying alive.

How is the world?

If the world is interesting then might look at getting into it.

The 5-6 hours that was in SotC was somewhat disappointing as I was wanting it to last longer but great game all the same.

um, yes?

As far as really bleak, snow filled landscapes go, "sure!"

But that's subjective. Depends on what you are looking for. This certainly doesn't seem like skyrim with a necessarily massive world you will spend 50+ hours in. I don't think that's the point.

ok tried to edit some pics in but "stupid editor" Look at this link and maybe it will help ...

I should add that the immersion factor, the wind, the snow, the feeling of "cold" is amazing.
    Post edited by Sovrath on