Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Caspien tantrum about news coverage

Comments

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Gdemami said:
    The thing about SCRUM methodology is that you need a very good Project Manager for it too work, one with an excellent plan and absolute commitment to preserve the plan. BUT this is Caspian, who has no experience and seems to discard the plan and formulate a new one more often than he changes his socks.
    CoE is using Scrum...?
    Sprint is part of SCRUM so in theory yes, thanks for reserecting the post I tried to delete, I no longer stand by what I said, SCRUM doesn't have a project manager as such.
    Gdemami
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Gdemami said:
    The thing about SCRUM methodology is that you need a very good Project Manager for it too work, one with an excellent plan and absolute commitment to preserve the plan. BUT this is Caspian, who has no experience and seems to discard the plan and formulate a new one more often than he changes his socks.
    CoE is using Scrum...?
    Sprint is part of SCRUM so in theory yes, thanks for reserecting the post I tried to delete, I no longer stand by what I said, SCRUM doesn't have a project manager as such.
    So it’s a perfect fit.
    Gdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Gdemami said:
    CoE is using Scrum...?
    So it’s a perfect fit.
    SCRUM normally delivers functional code in two to three week sprints. 

We've seen no evidence yet of anything functional so likely they aren't really using SCRUM, at least not as intended.

:D
    Slapshot1188craftseekerAzaron_Nightblade

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Torrsk said:
    How interesting what you linked has been removed there Slapshot. Meaning from the CoE forums, it's almost as if someone broke NDA. Seems the public isn't worthy enough to get anything. Even a hint of a timeline. 

I don't really care about this 0.5.0 blog. I just wanna see this state of elyria blog. Unless they are both the same thing.
    After we started talking about the State of Elyria and pulling out last year's to show they missed all 3 major milestones, Caspien said:

Gdemami

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited January 2019
    Hmm.. double post

Gdemami

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited January 2019
    Caspien has posted a "brilliant" response on his forum:

Firstly... you really have to love the way he wants pity for having to take a few minutes on a Sunday to post.  He is supposed to be the CEO of a startup company.   Seriously?  You are going to complain about taking 10 minutes to post on a Sunday?  I think I understand why he misses all these dates.  He absolutely does not have a startup mentality and it shows.

Anyhow, the reason I call it a "brilliant" response is because it pretty much ignores Tim's article but just responds to some really easy low hanging fruit from one poster.  This guy served up softballs and Caspien jumped at the chance to respond.  
    Example:

When they promise things that never happen, why dont the community hold them accountable?

I'm not sure what you mean by never happen. We had several community events come and go that we said would happen, we've got domain & settlement selection coming up soon as well. We reached our Friends & Family milestone earlier last year, but decided not to release the "Walk & Talk" to Alpha 1 backers. Now we're working on getting the game into the hands of players as quickly as possible. Trust me when I say it's coming soon.

But to say never is both a gross over statement and is honestly incorrect. As long as I'm coming into work every day, never hasn't happened yet. In the words of the famous Dread Pirate Roberts, "You're only saying never because no one ever has."

------

Isn't he so smart!  Never hasn't happened yet.  HA HA.  Just want I want my CEO saying when he hasn't delivered what he said he would.

Or then there is this beauty:

Is it not a bit dis-concerning that after so many years they have yet to produce anything that can be viewed as progress and are way overdue on timelines and so on?

We've been in production for 2 years and 2 months (Since Nov. 2016). Since then we've had to roll our own back-end servers, create a front-end that can communicate with our back-end, and implement the many gameplay mechanics and systems that exist in the Pre-Alpha - in addition to all the work we've had to do around world building and world generation; including creating the lore and details of all the biomes, flora, fauna, historical events, and Tribes of Elyria.

I know that all sounds defensive, but it's really not meant to be. I just wanted to highlight that we've done a ton in a relatively short amount of time. I say relatively because if you compare us with other in-development and previous MMOs you can see that we're still doing quite well on time.

I know when you're watching the clock waiting for the project to be completed it can seem like an eternity. But I've worked longer than this on single-player free-roaming adventure games.

-----

Silly people!  Of course an MMORPG can't be completed in 2 years!  Why it's crazy to even think that!  Why would you get that crazy idea in your head?  Gantt charts schmant charts! (for those new to the story, the first big argument was when Caspien listed a Dec 2017 release date and then forcefully defended that date by referring to his Gantt charts)

And then the Shame On You Guys part:

And why do we never get a response from SbS on this forum with things like this, not like the tactic of ignoring concerns have worked for them...

Frankly, because we have things to do. There will always be negative articles that come out about the game. Even post-launch. We can't stop development each time that happens to address it. We shouldn't have to.

------
    So instead of taking an opportunity to really address Tim, he takes a shot at an easy target which of course he then links to his Ivory Tower followers so they can go "upvote" his response and reaffirm their commitment to what he has literally called it: "The Gospel Of CoE".
    Slap, i think you’ve crossed the line to hate. I haven’t seen this much hate since me hating  GW2. Caution my friend.

Funny thing tho, I was getting banned for calling black lion chest gambling boxes. 

The difference between NCsoft marketing money and indi marketing money I guess...
    AnOldFart
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 374
    No 0.5 update today...

Not his fault.  Just toss the team under the bus.

Not much good nor very WOW...

Axing my team because they are dragging me down 0.5.0 Update:  Soon™
    Slapshot1188MadFrenchieKyleran
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    "Since then we've had to roll our own back-end servers, create a front-end that can communicate with our back-end..."

I don't think it's a coincidence that that literally sounds like "We've been trying to talk out of our ass."
    AmatheSBFordKyleranLokeroSlapshot1188[Deleted User]tweedledumb99[Deleted User]YashaX
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Sprint is part of SCRUM so in theory yes
    I see.

You use a computer, therefore in theory, you are a game developer.
  • AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    Gdemami said:
    Sprint is part of SCRUM so in theory yes
    I see.

You use a computer, therefore in theory, you are a game developer.
    Nothing like taking a quote out of context and insulting someone who you have never met. 
    Gdemamicraftseekertweedledumb99YashaXIselin
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Gdemami said:
    CoE is using Scrum...?
    They started off with it, but decided Scam was a better approach....
    Galadourn said:
    ....source?
    Kyleran
    Gdemami said:
    Galadourn said:
    ....source?
    for Scrum or for Scam?
    Galadourn said:
    for Scrum or for Scam?

Ah, sorry. Misread your post as something that has other value but trolling.
    edited January 2019
    Gdemami said:
    Galadourn said:
    for Scrum or for Scam?

'Trolling' dies last, even after Hope has died.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Gdemami said:
    Galadourn said:
    for Scrum or for Scam?

The subtlety of tongue in cheek humor can often go past some folks.
    GaladournAnOldFarttweedledumb99ManWithNoTan

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 265
    edited January 2019
    *facepalm* I can't believe Caspian still lets you guys troll him like this!

For some reason I can't upload an image as usual.

Daily $ average funding between 3-Dec-18 and 31-Jan-19 has been $5,416 bringing the lifetime average (31-Aug-17 to 31-Jan-19) to $4,748. Based on the current funding trend they are receiving $162k per month.

So irrespective of the drama, real and imagined, they are still generating enough to keep the doors open.
    tweedledumb99Kyleran[Deleted User]YashaXPhaserlightbcbully
    Well I’ve been traveling so have not kept up.  Is today finally the day where we get the 0.5 State of Elyria update? 

Will we actually get an updated schedule published on his website as he PROMISED during Kickstarter before it became inconvenient?

My guess, since he is further splitting his Discord into an Alpha 1 Access section is that he announces that they are close to allowing players in.  But then again I think we heard that in 2018... and 2017... and...

Gdemami

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Daily $ average funding between 3-Dec-18 and 31-Jan-19 has been $5,416 bringing the lifetime average (31-Aug-17 to 31-Jan-19) to $4,748. Based on the current funding trend they are receiving $162k per month.

So irrespective of the drama, real and imagined, they are still generating enough to keep the doors open.
    Criticizing isn't trolling and just out of curiousity...
    How exactly would he stop us?

And just to point it out:
    Incoming donations have nothing to do with development progress.
    GaladournGdemamimmoloutweedledumb99YashaXMadFrenchiecraftseeker
    Harbinger of Fools
    edited January 2019

You’d have to ask him... but he’s probably too busy giving PC Gamer exclusive access to his soon to be announced February Sale to answer.

If you do ask him please also ask him how he forgot about his PROMISE to keep updating the website with the schedule. Not the fundraising schedule...  but the actual release one.

GaladournWellspringcraftseeker

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464

You’d have to ask him... but he’s probably too busy giving PC Gamer exclusive access to his soon to be announced February Sale to answer.

If you do ask him please also ask him how he forgot about his PROMISE to keep updating the website with the schedule. Not the fundraising schedule...  but the actual release one.

Oh, you didn't hear? As it turns out, you only have to keep your word when it's convenient for you.

:confounded:

Slapshot1188
    --------------------------------------------

Oh, you didn't hear? As it turns out, you only have to keep your word when it's convenient for you.

:confounded:

The ends justify the means to some.
    MadFrenchie

edited January 2019
    @StaalBurgher As you know, the last event was literally built around RNG lootboxes.  They raised $300k per Caspien. 

Is that something to be proud of?  

Is there anything they wont sell to get the funds?  Do you care?  That’s an honest question.  This is the guy who said that one of the main reason he doesn’t have a publisher is lootboxes.  Now,  not only will SoulPacks be sold after launch (RNG packs of souls to make characters, some of which will start with a multiple years skill ramp) but now he literally built a whole event around RNG sales.    Are you really OK with that?

PS-  The player base is still minuscule.  20k paid accounts last I heard with huge bunches barely interested any more. They keep raising money by selling more advantages to the same people. Do you really think that’s healthy? 
    GdemamiWellspringAmathetweedledumb99YashaXcraftseeker

Dakeru said:
    Criticizing isn't trolling
    ....well, that's what he said.
  • StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Dakeru said:

Criticizing isn't trolling and just out of curiousity...
    How exactly would he stop us?

And just to point it out:
    Incoming donations have nothing to do with development progress.
    I mean in that he allows himself to comment.

Simple criticism does not warrant the incredible number of posts/threads dedicated to the gleeful celebration of their every struggle. If the game is rubbish etc most people would just forget about it.

Unfortunately, once upon a time, now lost in the mists of time, Caspian made some insulting comments regarding Gantt charts or what have you. Members here felt offended and here we are... 300 threads and God only knows how many posts of very good trolling later.

Never claimed that funding = progress. Simply that it keeps the doors open, without which zero progress is guaranteed.
    YashaX