Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com EXPOSED - MMORPG.com

Comments

• GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    edited January 2019
    Ive been on this site for years never thought it to be a problem. If this site is a business then it needs to generate revenue and thats ok. I get the data i need on mmorpgs from this site wether its from articles or conversing with the registered users.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Mendel said:
    Congratulations!  Tim managed to infuriate a developer so that they decided to withhold access to this site.  In my view, that leaves more time to focus on important things.  Thinning out nuisances leaves the group free for other, more productive pursuits.  I feel like this article and its aftermath slammed the door on the developer-in-question ever seeing a cent of mine.

Oddly, this whole mess reaffirms my faith in the human animal.  We see something wrong, we point it out.  No other animal does that so eloquently or voraciously.

I probably had almost as much to do with it as Tim did. The Chronicles of Elyria developer explicitly called out "MMORPG.com users" for not wanting their game, and I delivered quite possibly the most scathing opinion of the game right on the front page of that same thread.

And if I'm right, I still wouldn't take my opinion back. The game looks like trash, it's easily the most unappealing of the crowdfunded MMOs behind only SotA, and I'm within my rights to say so.
    [Deleted User]GdemamiAlmostLancelot
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    All this is over Chronicles of Elyria?

tweedledumb99MadFrenchieEponyxDamorAeander[Deleted User]KalebGrayson[Deleted User]bartoni33RobsolfDakeru
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Its amazing it still stays running since there hasnt been an MMO worth mentioning released in the past 5 years.
  • summerstringssummerstrings Member UncommonPosts: 76
    I must admit I prefer Massivelyop because I always get the impression this site is slightly swayed with a positive bias by the games that advertise on it but a few of the writers on here still come up with interesting articles and the members forums are sometimes useful to get an idea what people think of a new game .
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    I come here for the nostalgia 2000 era website look. Everyone else moved on with web2.0 and then 3.0 and then modern classic and then modern classic 2.0. But mmorpg.com? They said fuck that noise we are keeping the pile of garbage look from 2000 everything in boxes and shapes. Whitespace? Fuck whitespace we say! It's really quite good.
    [Deleted User]AeanderAlmostLancelot
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Hashbrick said:
    I come here for the nostalgia 2000 era website look. Everyone else moved on with web2.0 and then 3.0 and then modern classic and then modern classic 2.0. But mmorpg.com? They said fuck that noise we are keeping the pile of garbage look from 2000 everything in boxes and shapes. Whitespace? Fuck whitespace we say! It's really quite good.
    They tried changing the look a few years back. I assume the response from the regular users wasn't great so they've kept things as they were, for now.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    Sharne said:
    Hashbrick said:
    Can we have a 'burn the blasphemer' button added please
    Yes. I'd also like to request a "blood for the blood god" button. I think it would add much nuance to the discourse.
    [Deleted User]
  • casdegerecasdegere Member UncommonPosts: 15
    edited January 2019
    <blockquote-Sovrath> 
    The issue is that if a writer/columnist does say something about a game that doesn't align with what some players think, they want that columnist to be more vitreolic about the whole thing.</div><div><br></div><div>They aren't looking for a discussion on the game but more of a torch and pitchfork affair. When they don't get torches &amp; pitchforks they start yelling and screaming about scandal and conspiracy. <br></div><div><br></div><div>It's like they don't know what to do with their anger so just blast it at the easiest target.</div><div><br></div><div>I'm not saying that there aren't people out there who don't try to cover things up or who don't take bribes/sell indulgences. <br></div><div><br></div><div>but if everything that a player disagrees with is automatically a conspiracy then there is no room for anything else. It's either the players' way or the highway.</div><div><br></div><div>And that's not a reasonable or healthy way to deal with things.<br></div></div>
    </blockquote>

This is why I've been here so long and have very few posts. I come here, learn what I can and take opinions with a grain of salt before I buy. Those I don't agree with are usually handled as the ones I do...in silence. I come, I read and I am better informed for it i think. A service? I think so.

I was speaking in terms of being on the disagreeable or devils advocate side. I'll be 50 years old in July and I've been playing PC games since 1996. I think I will always be playing them, interested about them and reading about them because its 'my thing'.

I think companies who act like children when they get a bad review or have a low standing on the hype meter know they have a sucky game. But once you go in a direction (SoTA for instance) it is very difficult and costly to change much, especially if you are being crowd-funded like so many games are these days. I bought into SoTA and SC and subsequently sold my assets from these games for a little profit if there was any if that says anything.

I disdain dishonesty in all of its forms and for those game producers that attack dissenting options or try to remove them on the game production side (on their own forums usually) and writers who pander instead of 'tell us what they really think' I shake my head silently. MMORP does a pretty good job at calling it like it is though and so I keep coming back. (thanks guys)

And I do know that some of the disparage is unwarranted to. Sometimes PVPers thrash MMO games because they do not offer things like 'full loot' or 'open world pvp everywhere' and the like. And the reverse is often true as well. I'm not one of those folks who thinks my 'preferences' if not met make a game trash but often venom spouts out form people. (do to anonymity most likely) I silently pass them up though I am presently looking at some pvp games to try.

Sovrathbartoni33
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    I come here, look at articles for games, then goto the comments generally
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    I must admit I prefer Massivelyop because I always get the impression this site is slightly swayed with a positive bias by the games that advertise on it but a few of the writers on here still come up with interesting articles and the members forums are sometimes useful to get an idea what people think of a new game .
    I go their occasionally but in truth, I prefer it here. I like that the discussions are front and center. I think I'm more interested in this site because of the discussions about the news.

I mean, is it even possible to just start your own thread there? I don't see it. Maybe there is?
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    @Sovrath If you go to the main Forum page and to the forum you want like The Pub or General Gaming and there's a blue "New Discussion" button. :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    SBFord said:
    @Sovrath If you go to the main Forum page and to the forum you want like The Pub or General Gaming and there's a blue "New Discussion" button. :)
    lol, no I was talking about Massively. A huge reason I'm here is because of the discussions which you very conveniently put in the center.

At Massively, I think you just have to visit the news stories and can just make comments.

I suspect you read my "there" as "here." <3

SBFordMendel
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    It’s ok to be biased as long as you are honest about it, imo. Part of being good at journalism is knowing what will get attention, I assume. And having a responsibility to the publishers of the games, and an audience to talk about them to, would be hard to juggle. It’s up to the consumer as to the value of the information presented. If someone doesnt like the information, I guess they could complain about it and try to get attention, or just go read a different website.
    [Deleted User]

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394

I like this site because it focuses on the games. There is no virtue signaling or activism, just MMORPGs. Keep up the good work!

I assure you there is virtue signalling... Check out the articles from the Jessica Price/GW2 debacle.
  • FacelessSaviorFacelessSavior Member UncommonPosts: 188
    edited January 2019
    Every word uttered or written is done so with atleast a minimal amount of Bias. People should be able to take that for what it is. What begins to annoy me is when the majority of the piece is pandering to the writer's opinion. I want facts and specs about the game. How many players per server, what are the pvp restrictions. Is it hub based or open world.

Too often it seems hard information about the games is glossed over, or completely ignored, in favor of the writer sharing their overall opinion. There are times when I read reviews here and the only real knowledge I have about the game's systems and/or style, is whether or not the author liked it or not. :/
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Ungood said:
    and here I was expecting some humor piece about how it was discovered that all the posters were jaded hate mongering rageholics.. or something along those lines... or maybe cats.. maybe we are all just cats at keyboards waiting for our humans to feed us so we are just being grumpy.
    And just who says I can't be both?

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/04/06/11/2751CBEB00000578-0-image-a-52_1428317598123.jpg
    MadFrenchiePalebane
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    I realized long ago that MMORPG was bought by the companies. I'm here anyway. It's how you make your money. Although the so called 'giveaways' have become a colossal joke. I'm here to keep up on new released and occasionally take part in the fan conversation. But I post a tiny fraction of what I used to. Most of us are aware that pretty much anyone can be bought.
    KalebGraysonGdemami[Deleted User]Iselin
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited January 2019
    Moirae said:
    I realized long ago that MMORPG was bought by the companies. I'm here anyway. It's how you make your money. Although the so called 'giveaways' have become a colossal joke. I'm here to keep up on new released and occasionally take part in the fan conversation. But I post a tiny fraction of what I used to. Most of us are aware that pretty much anyone can be bought.
    Oh please, whisper your suspicions to my wallet because it begs to differ. :D

I have been here for almost a decade (December 2009!) and I can tell you that we haven't changed one bit editorially, though writers have come and gone, as have users. I'm sure if you were inclined, you could go back 10, 12, 14 years and find the same accusations because people like conspiracy theories. :D 

In the meantime, we'll just keep doing what we do with our integrity intact.
    Sovrath[Deleted User]MadFrenchie[Deleted User]Dick1232[Deleted User]RobsolfTacticalZombeh

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    SBFord said:

I think this site should have a cash shop, with tin foil hats being the first item. And oh, I was paid to say that. Maaaaaaaaaabe .....

SBFordTheDarkrayneBlueThunderBear[Deleted User]TacticalZombeh

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• BananableBananable Member UncommonPosts: 194
    edited January 2019
    Robsolf said:
    I think the problem lies in the fact that some people are too self involved to understand: a reviewer can like or dislike a game more than the reader does, and that that can absolutely occur without any conspiratorial agenda.

It should go without saying, but these days, it clearly doesn't.

I think the proble is that public people opinions should be objective, not personal, like when you discuss it with your friends.

Overwatch is pissing me off, because stipd PR put it to my face all the time. Or LoL I heard about it, but never planned to play it. So it  just existed somewhere out there and afaik it has huge playerbase. But now those stupid glamorous girls pictures are everywhere... sigh.

They want to attract more people to their niche games, so its not surprising that they get so much negative. What am i suppose to say if i dont like it? Especially after they promsed super mega awesome game. look everygame is rpg now...for some reason.

P.S. https://store.steampowered.com/app/743860/Wild_West_Online/

"conspiratorial agenda"
    LOLZ
    Yeah, the reviewers/critics (people that get games for free and dont play games in their free time) tell me to buy new ALPHA version of something that is still unfinished and gonna be in developement for years. And expect me to say good things about it. Really? Theres no game, NOTHING at the moment to buy or even comment.
    Not to mention that YTbers/streamers even MAKE BIG money on KIDS (that also have to buy games) just playing these games. (they dont even bother do to walkthroughs anymore..it take too much time...and its so booring - best advertisement ever!)
    And please dont tell me that devs dont have agreement with hardware companies.

Artifact? Really? PAID card game when all other companies made f2p versions years ago? When  kids crazy with BR...they release it now? And whole game is about make money on people selling those cards for REAL money on market, like they do with CSGO and Dota.

EVOLUTION! TECHNOLOGIES!

It really feels like they do outsourcing. They leave developement to the students while designers go on vacation or somth.
    Gdemami
    SBFord said:
    Moirae said:
    Oh please, whisper your suspicions to my wallet because it begs to differ. :D

I have been here for almost a decade (December 2009!) and I can tell you that we haven't changed one bit editorially, though writers have come and gone, as have users. I'm sure if you were inclined, you could go back 10, 12, 14 years and find the same accusations because people like conspiracy theories. :D 

I laughed the few times I was called a paid shill. 

I mean, if Nintendo, Anet, Intelligent Systems, Atlus, or any other developer/publisher on my "nice list" would like to toss a few sheckles my way, I certainly wouldn't say no. 
    SBFord
  • Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    About the only thing that we all agree on on this site is that a game should be optomised properly before release. other than that we will say it should be a pve game or no should be a pvp game, it has great graphics no it does not ,the questings great the questings terrible etc etc. the point being we all have our own opinions and i have always respected the views on this site, i may not agree with them but at least they give me some insight. maybe ive gone of track slightly but just want to say keep up the good work
    Bananable said:
    Robsolf said:
    I think the problem lies in the fact that some people are too self involved to understand: a reviewer can like or dislike a game more than the reader does, and that that can absolutely occur without any conspiratorial agenda.

It should go without saying, but these days, it clearly doesn't.

I think the proble is that public people opinions should be objective, not personal, like when you discuss it with your friends.

Overwatch is pissing me off, because stipd PR put it to my face all the time. Or LoL I heard about it, but never planned to play it. So it  just existed somewhere out there and afaik it has huge playerbase. But now those stupid glamorous girls pictures are everywhere... sigh.

They want to attract more people to their niche games, so its not surprising that they get so much negative. What am i suppose to say if i dont like it? Especially after they promsed super mega awesome game. look everygame is rpg now...for some reason.

P.S. https://store.steampowered.com/app/743860/Wild_West_Online/

"conspiratorial agenda"
    LOLZ
    Yeah, the reviewers/critics (people that get games for free and dont play games in their free time) tell me to buy new ALPHA version of something that is still unfinished and gonna be in developement for years. And expect me to say good things about it. Really? Theres no game, NOTHING at the moment to buy or even comment.
    Not to mention that YTbers/streamers even MAKE BIG money on KIDS (that also have to buy games) just playing these games. (they dont even bother do to walkthroughs anymore..it take too much time...and its so booring - best advertisement ever!)
    And please dont tell me that devs dont have agreement with hardware companies.

Artifact? Really? PAID card game when all other companies made f2p versions years ago? When  kids crazy with BR...they release it now? And whole game is about make money on people selling those cards for REAL money on market, like they do with CSGO and Dota.

EVOLUTION! TECHNOLOGIES!

It really feels like they do outsourcing. They leave developement to the students while designers go on vacation or somth.
    The way you structure your posts is... explosive. Takes quite a bit of effort to figure out what you are trying to say. Love the passion, though.
    Aeander said:
    I personally come back for the users I respect. There's quite a few of them, and if you're among my favorites, it's probably obvious to you (cheers, Frenchie). But even some of the users with whom I often disagree (namely Torval and DMKano) have my respect and regard. 

I can count on one hand the users that I actually have problems with (edit: a certain lol-spammer who won't go away obviously being one of them), and that's fairly remarkable. It's a pretty healthy forum. 
    Gdemami, helping us all get to Legendary status that little bit faster.  ;)
    Aeander[Deleted User]MadFrenchie[Deleted User]TacticalZombeh