Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The 2 Major Reasons MMO's Today Suck (and most AAA games)

IzkimarIzkimar Member UncommonPosts: 568

Why AAA Gaming Industry Sucks (2 Root Issues)

This is something I have pondered a lot, and it is also relevant because I am working towards a mini-doc on the Future of the MMORPG. This has led me to examine the state of the industry, and how we have gotten to where we are. The concept of this video was also inspired when I watched a Sam Ovens video on 2nd Order Consequences, which I will elaborate on further.

I know this isn't MMO specific. However upon trying to understand the core issues of the MMO market, it led me to see that the major issues are rooted in philosophy that is plaguing the entire industry. Everything else trickles down from here, and most of the major issues we bitch about are just symptoms of the underlying disease.

I made a video on the topic, so I encourage you to check it out: 

It is a bit long I know, but this is sort of experimental content for me. I wanted to present my ideas as well as read some supporting examples. I recommend listening to it on 1.25x or 1.5x speed as it will save you a lot of time. I also have subject timestamps in the description.

If you prefer to read: I am going to try and encapsulate this video in this post as best as I can.

Why the AAA Gaming Industry Sucks: It is my thought that there are 2 major issues plaguing the industry. Both of these issues are transcendent, and are running rampant in modern corporate structure. The first issue is that companies value Speculative Market value and Shareholder value maximization over delivering real market value. The second is "Incrementalism vs. Innovation." Companies throughout time often fall into the trap of trying to perpetuate today, and they fail to invest in the R&D or innovation that will carry their tomorrow.

Opening Quote: "We must shift the focus of companies back to the customer and away from shareholder value. The shift necessitates a fundamental change in our prevailing theory of the firm... The current theory holds that the singular goal of the corporation should be shareholder value maximization. Instead, companies should place customers at the center of the firm and focus on delighting them, while earning an acceptable return for shareholders. If you take care of customers, shareholders will be drawn along for a very nice ride. The opposite is simply not true: if you try to take care of shareholders, customers don't benefit and, ironically, shareholders don't get very far either." - Roger L. Martin "Former Dean of the Rotman School of Management at the University of Toronto"

Shareholder Value Maximization vs Real Market Value:

1. According to Martin this new philosophy was conceived in 1976 at the Simon School of Business "University of Rochester."

2. Principle-Agent Problem: Shareholders are the principals of the firm, "they own it, and benefit from its prosperity", while the executives are the agents who are hired by the principals to work on their behalf.

3. The problem occurs because agents have an inherent incentive to value resources for themselves over their principals, and that the singular goal of a company should be to maximize the return to shareholders.

4. Apparently this idea spread like fire, and has become conventional wisdom today.

5. Jack Welch became a rock star status CEO under this philosophy and led GE to beat or meet analyst forecasts in 46 of 48 Quarters. In his tenure from 1981 to 2001 he took GE from a $14 billion dollar value to $484 billion at the time of retirement. He was named Manager of the Century by Fortune Magazine.

1. Jack Welch later in 2009 went on to say, "On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world. Shareholder value is a result, not a strategy. Your main constituencies are your employees, your customers and your products. Managers and investors should not set share price increases as their overarching goal. … Short-term profits should be allied with an increase in the long-term value of a company.”

Money is in the speculations market:

1. It pays off more for executives to properly meet or beat analyst forecasts in the speculations market "Stock Options", than it does to receive their bonuses for consistently and slowly delivering real market value.

2. Since the adoption of this new philosophy in corporate structure, CEO compensations have skyrocketed and real market performance has dropped.

3. Martin used an analogy equating this to NFL Coaches and QB's consulting with bettors, and being judged not on winning actual games but if they successfully met the predicted point spreads.

The Role of the Business: The role of the business, organization, or corporation is to create real market value. Profits, wealth, etc., are not the main goals. They are a result. Modern business structure has now devolved into agencies that see their customers as value extraction units. They deliver as little as possible while trying to extract the most they can, all in an effort to demonstrate value to shareholders and push their valuations up in the speculations market.

1. This short term thinking certainly paid off in the, well short term... Look at the stock prices of Activision. Since the 90's it has climbed, climbed, and climbed. 20-30 years might seem more like the "long term", but in the lifespans of corporations and monopolies this isn't very long. Finally, this has led to a point to where consumer confidence has dropped drastically. People aren't as excited to buy Call of Duty 26 as they once were with number 4, or 5.

2. Quote from Peter F. Drucker, who is often looked at as the father of management. This comes from a 1999 NY Times article talking about how Corporate America fell out of love with him. I wonder why...

"For his part, The Man Who Invented Corporate Society (a biographer's apt label) disdains a corporate order that is in thrall to stock prices and that rewards its chief executives as though they were power forwards. "Earnings per share" does not exist in Peter Drucker's vocabulary. The religion of shareholder supremacy has him shaking his head." "That's right, I am not very happy with the unbalanced emphasis on stock price and market cap and short-term earnings," Drucker said in an interview last week.

"The most critical management job is to balance short term and long term. In the long term, today's one-sided emphasis is deleterious and dangerous."

"To his thinking, two personages, the customer and the highly skilled employee, are at least as precious as the investor. Increasingly, as pension beneficiaries, owners of stock options or mutual fund investors, they are one and the same person. Learning to balance these divergent but ultimately shared interests is "the challenge of the next 10 years," he said."

"Some 45 years ago Drucker declared a celebrated premise. "There is only one valid definition of business purpose: to create a customer." Does that premise still pertain? "What else?" he asked. "Who else pays the bills?" From that conviction has come his creed: Value and service first, profit later. Maximizing profit, perhaps never."

jimmywolfAlverantAmathekjempffborghive49UngoodwingoodGdemamiAlBQuirkyMendeland 5 others.

Comments

• IzkimarIzkimar Member UncommonPosts: 568
    edited January 2019
    PT. 2

Old Blizzard: Whether you enjoyed their games or not. Old Blizzard products delivered value to their customers. Go watch their documentary and read their story. They were basically a bunch of dudes just trying to make badass games. Their aim was to deliver value. The new business philosophies hadn't quite set in as the de facto way yet, and it hadn't quite trickled into this subsect of the gaming industry. Look at the relationship of them and their customers. The good will they created back then built a bulwark that has lasted until today. Even though people saw direction shifts with the company way back, their fans have defended them vigilantly for a very long time. This was all based on the value that they used to demonstrate. Now, I feel the good will has finally run out, but that is the power of delivering real value.

Innovation vs. Incrementalism:

This was first inspired by Sam Oven's video on 2nd Order Consequences. The major points I want to hit on here is defensive thinking, and the vain attempts to perpetuate today over developing tomorrow.

1. In Sam's video he tells the story of Valeant Pharmaceuticals. Basically, their CEO saw how expensive R&D was. Research and development is really expensive, it is basically scientists experimenting to create the future drugs. Experimentation is synonymous with failure, but it is done in the hopes of making big breakthroughs. So he had the bright idea to start purchasing drug companies, cutting their R&D, and rolling them into his investment vehicle. In the short term this resulted in huge spikes in net profits, made shareholders very happy, and it worked well for 3-4 years. However, eventually since they no longer had R&D, this quickly exploded as they no longer remained relevant and ultimately lost his investors a shit ton of money.

2. Contrasting example: In Peter Drucker's book the Effective Executive he talks about Theodore Vale as one of the least known major business figures. Theodore Vale was the CEO of the Bell Systems in 1910's the 1920's. "Later became the big telecoms monopoly of ATT that still stands today."

1. Bell knew that in order for a tech monopoly to stand the tests of time, it needed competition and innovation. Since there were no other companies that would push them, they would have to push themselves.

2. So he developed Bell Labs. The sole purpose of Bell Labs was to develop the future and render today obsolete "no matter how profitable or efficient that today was." Because of his foresight, the Bell Labs led to innovations and creations Vale never even imagined. This is offensive thinking.

3. Kodak: Kodak had the inventor of the digital camera working for them in the 70's, he presented the camera to them in 1975. Because it was a mishmash of parts, digital cassette recorder, movie camera, analog-digital converter, and other components they were unimpressed. They also said they can't see people ever wanting to view their photos on a television set.

1. He later presented a new model to them in 1989. This model was supposedly on par with today's DSLR cameras. "Used memory cards, compressed the images, etc."

2. They resisted it, and told him that they could sell the camera, but then they would cannibalize their own film sales.

3. They owned every step of the photo making process at the time. So why would they compete with themselves and hurt their own profits?

4. Well, they never caught on to digital, tried too late. They made billions off of the patent, but it ran out in 2007. And they later filed for bankruptcy in 2012.

4. Think Activision-Blizzard, and how they scrapped Titan and have not tried to release a new major MMO. I have often seen the sentiment of, "why would they create something to compete with themselves when WoW is still number one in the market?"

5. What major innovations has the AAA gaming industry developed in recent times? Outside of some outliers, there hasn't been much. This is a partial result of defensive development, the de-valuing of true R&D, and the vain attempts of perpetuating today.

Both issues together: While trying to maximize shareholder value, companies are constricted and fear to take big risks. They need to meet market speculations and justify investor dollars, they must deliver a sizeable return after all. This in effect trickles down to development. One, this leads to defensive development. It leads to incremental development. Companies can't afford risk, they must try and perpetuate today. So they spin the same games over and over, they develop in overly formulaic and rigid structures that are seemingly safe, they follow trends and waves rather than try to make their own.

The trickle down effect: These two issues create a value stream that flows downwards from the shareholder, to the executives, and eventually to the consumer. Because of this, we are seen as "users". We exist to be exploited.

• In the philosophy of shareholder value maximization we play the role of 2nd fiddle.

• Development is no longer done within the scope of creating wonderful experiences and delivering fulfillment.

• Instead since we exist to be harvested, we see Marketing meets Psychology driven systems that are aimed to exploit behaviors. "Blizzard's patent on a matchmaking system that pushes microtransation behavior comes to mind."

• Developers don't look at value delivery, they look at log ins, retention rates, and ways to funnel purchases or microtransactions.

• That is why it is becoming more and more apparent that we are getting handed systems with the fucking wires showing rather than actual games to be immersed in. "I'm looking at you BFA and Lost Ark."

• We can't really blame a lot of the developers and their design philosophies. Those of the old guard transitioned into the new business wave. "Blizzard melding into Activision." And the new wave of developers were molded in this environment. This is just seen as , "how business is run, and this is just how good systems are designed."

In conclusion: The gaming industry is rotten at it's core. It has the value exchange relationship backwards. It looks first to shareholders and the speculative market, and then to the actual value delivered to the customer last. Trickling down from this is the mindset of Incrementalism over Innovation. The industry is wrapped up in defensive thinking and spends it's dollars trying to perpetuate today over developing the risky tomorrow. In order to see real values driven game development restored, we must first see a foundational shift in business structure. I plan to propose solutions in my video The Future of the MMORPG.

jimmywolfAlverantAmathekjempffborghive49jordiincraasUngoodwingoodGdemamiXasapisand 8 others.
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited January 2019
    Greed and laziness. Good read. I agree. If you do come up with a solution, I know many world economies that would benefit tremendously. 
    IzkimarAlverantAzaron_NightbladeGdemami

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

Thank you! Yep, backwards value stream at the top has corrupted everything else. 
    borghive49Gdemami
  • jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    very good read and i share your point of view, just lack the proper grammar and insight to express it on the same level. the biggest issue and what i hate most about that mentality is they couldn't care less,  they still profit even as the market for it falls apart...
    IzkimarGdemamiPalebane

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    You're right OP, but we, the players, are letting them do this. I believe the OP left out an important party; the consumers.

Someone is throwing money at them.
    Someone taught them that F2P with a cashshop is making more profit than a subscription.
    Someone taught them you can make a lot of money by simply selling a game in pre-alpha including an "exclusive" ingame item.

KyleranVermillion_RaventhalwingoodBooLadedadaAlBQuirkyPalebanetweedledumb99Marcus-acidbloodTuor7
  • bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    No matter how many times I see it said, I just can't get behind the idea that modern gaming--AAA or otherwise--doesn't provide a good value. The average price of games and gaming hardware is nearly identical to what it was 30 years ago, and I can't even begin to guess the average amount of time played per game then (less) compared to now (more). Seriously, what other entertainment industry can say it hasn't pushed increased costs on the consumer in the last 3 decades? 

The only real difference now is that we can't rent them and demos are no longer commonplace, although all major platforms refund you within a couple hours/weeks of purchase, so that's still not really a strike against the consumer.

For my mind, there has never been a better time to be a gamer. There are so many options that you can easily find whatever experience you're looking for, and with the amount of media coverage the industry gets, if you blindly buy a game and get burned, I can't help feeling that's on you. Not to mention the countless free-to-play games on every platform that you can sink dozens of hours into without ever spending a dime.

Taste is subjective...there will always be people who like one thing and not another, and other people who like the inverse. But I don't agree that value is the issue when it comes to games like Red Dead Redemption 2, Assassin's Creed, God of War, Civilization 6, or even Battle for Azeroth. At least not when compared to the value of gaming in the past. This is an industry that was built on forcing more and more quarters out of you, so I certainly don't see how now is any different. 
    borghive49Gdemami
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    So the TLDR summary is...

Consumers are stupid with their money and people running the show well understand how to take advantage of them.

Did I get it right?

Remember, you can't fix stupid.

:D
    borghive49NorseGodiixviiiixUngoodmmolouAlBQuirkyGobstopper3DMarcus-Rhygarth

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    edited January 2019
    Kyleran said:
    So the TLDR summary is...

Consumers are stupid with their money and people running the show well understand how to take advantage of them.
    Not really how I would summarize what OP is saying, this is not about consumers but about companies cannibalizing themselves to produce short term returns to shareholders rather than create real long term value for the company (and therefore shareholders).

Sure video game consumers are easily fooled short term, but on a larger scale the lack of value will simply move those costumers to areas where they do get value. Why this is not happening at a faster pace, is that modern video games are designed around addiction inducing game designs (instant gratification, retention rewards, etc); so essentially the consumer think they get more value than they really are. However, I don't believe this can continue on such a scale in the long run, even if consumers are somewhat stupid and addicted.
    MendelPalebane
    jimmywolf said:
    very good read and i share your point of view, just lack the proper grammar and insight to express it on the same level. the biggest issue and what i hate most about that mentality is they couldn't care less,  they still profit even as the market for it falls apart...
    thank you!

Keller said:
    You're right OP, but we, the players, are letting them do this. I believe the OP left out an important party; the consumers.

Someone is throwing money at them.
    Someone taught them that F2P with a cashshop is making more profit than a subscription.
    Someone taught them you can make a lot of money by simply selling a game in pre-alpha including an "exclusive" ingame item.

I feel like my response will be similar to both of your comments. 

1.) Consumer confidence is quite low. We have seen a noticeable drop in AAA stock values. If we aren't at the end of the road yet, we are heading there soon. These companies will have to adapt and transform their structure, or they will be left behind. 

2.) to your point @Keller It doesn't matter what we show them in the grand scheme of things. The issue at the root is value is placed in shareholder maximization first. As long as that is the first principle, the value distributed to the customer will play 2nd fiddle. 

Within that framework, yes consumers do drive their behavior but only in the way of value extraction. So yes if consumers didn't support this behavior they would be slightly better. But since their focal point is still the shareholder, the root issue would still remain. 

3.) Consumer behavior in today's market is pretty complex. It can't just be blamed on the market being full of idiots. The current market hasn't evolved, it has been conditioned. 

• We are in a new wave ERA that has inventions that has completely altered the way humans interact with the world. With this has come many wonderful things.
    • But with all wonderful innovations, there is also waves and turbulence that ripples out. These secondary issues have to be fixed as we evolve with technology. 
    • Currently, since most things run off of the Principal-Agent problem sort of philosophy. Shareholder maximization is the most important thing. 
    • Tech startups seek to drive their valuations through the roof to attract major capital and get major payoffs. 
    • Because of this foundation tech is designed to succeed not just in the problems that it solves, but in extracting value from it's "users."
    • Thus we have moved into an era of Marketing meets Psychology. Every app that we use, every feature we employ is designed with the understanding of the human brain's survival mechanisms. They then try to appeal to these primal mechanisms to hook you, and to give your brain what it likes to keep it coming back for more. 
    • Currently tech and games for that matter are designed to give big dopamine releases. Your brain would give big hits of dopamine in the wild for finding a Low Opportunity Cost and High Caloric food source. It would do this to reward that behavior and drive the creation of neural pathways that leads to this source for survival. "That's at least a super botched version of how it might work." 
    • Every app you interact with is designed to take control of these mechanisms, to please them, to repeatedly do this, so that you form neurological pathways around using their tech. 
    • The first order consequence of this is certain platforms that utilize this well will thrive. The same with games. 
    • The second and third order consequences are that it is altering that actual psychology of people in the long term. People now have shorter attention spans, and it is harder for a lot of people to engage in systems that have long term payouts. In other words, activities that result in a slow trickle of dopamine, and might have a payout after a couple hours, days, weeks, etc., are less favorable. Everyone wants their quick hit now. 

KyleranGdemamiAlBQuirkyPalebaneacidbloodTuor7
    bonzoso21 said:
    No matter how many times I see it said, I just can't get behind the idea that modern gaming--AAA or otherwise--doesn't provide a good value. The average price of games and gaming hardware is nearly identical to what it was 30 years ago, and I can't even begin to guess the average amount of time played per game then (less) compared to now (more). Seriously, what other entertainment industry can say it hasn't pushed increased costs on the consumer in the last 3 decades? 

The only real difference now is that we can't rent them and demos are no longer commonplace, although all major platforms refund you within a couple hours/weeks of purchase, so that's still not really a strike against the consumer.

For my mind, there has never been a better time to be a gamer. There are so many options that you can easily find whatever experience you're looking for, and with the amount of media coverage the industry gets, if you blindly buy a game and get burned, I can't help feeling that's on you. Not to mention the countless free-to-play games on every platform that you can sink dozens of hours into without ever spending a dime.

Taste is subjective...there will always be people who like one thing and not another, and other people who like the inverse. But I don't agree that value is the issue when it comes to games like Red Dead Redemption 2, Assassin's Creed, God of War, Civilization 6, or even Battle for Azeroth. At least not when compared to the value of gaming in the past. This is an industry that was built on forcing more and more quarters out of you, so I certainly don't see how now is any different. 
    That's a small handful of examples in a market that is constantly putting out titles that is aimed at exploiting the gaming audience. Look at recent examples of EA, ActiBlizz, Bethesda, etc. Yes I recognize there are outliers even within the AAA industry, but the problem lies at first principles with business structure. 

Battle for Azeroth is objectively bad. It is a shell of a game, and offers a very shallow gameplay experience. It is a terribly designed skinner box. The new Arathi, Warfronts, Island expeditions. Etc. etc. 
    GdemamiTuor7
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    You're certainly correct that there is more to future profitability than just today's profits.  Having skilled employees who are happy to work for you and loyal customers who will buy again make a big difference.

But stock prices are fundamentally a bet on future profits, not past profits.  If you knew that company A made $1 billion this quarter, but that it will be their last profitable quarter ever, their stock isn't going to be worth much.  If you knew that company B lost $1 billion this quarter, but will make at least $1 billion in profit every quarter for the next 10 years, their stock should be worth a lot.

Stock prices are imperfect because people make decisions with imperfect information.  But they're the best metric that we have for this.  If you can figure out which companies are undervalued and which are overvalued ahead of time, rather than only in retrospect, then you could make a ton of money as a stock trader.

As for AAA games that are bad, it's typically not because companies are trying to make bad games.  It's simply hard to consistently crank out games that are much better than the competition.  But you could become very rich if you can consistently do so.

The health of the game industry doesn't just rely on one particular company.  If one company falters and another makes a great game, then that gives players something good to play.
    KyleranGdemamiAlBQuirkyMendel
    edited January 2019
    Quizzical said:

But stock prices are fundamentally a bet on future profits, not past profits.  If you knew that company A made $1 billion this quarter, but that it will be their last profitable quarter ever, their stock isn't going to be worth much.  If you knew that company B lost $1 billion this quarter, but will make at least $1 billion in profit every quarter for the next 10 years, their stock should be worth a lot.

Stock prices are imperfect because people make decisions with imperfect information.  But they're the best metric that we have for this.  If you can figure out which companies are undervalued and which are overvalued ahead of time, rather than only in retrospect, then you could make a ton of money as a stock trader.
    I agree, and I guess I need to clarify. My point isn't that shareholders and stock market valuations are a bad thing. I really doubt that is the point the likes of Peter F. Drucker or Jack Welch would make either. 

My point is that the shareholder executive relationship has evolved in the past 50 years, and not necessarily for the better. That is what I tried to illustrate with the philosophy built out of the Principal-Agent problem. 

An organization is a system that creates value for a demographic. They are built out of solving problems or scratching itches. It is through this value exchange that they can afford to pay their bills, and then take home a meaningful amount of wealth. Shareholders can benefit on a well run system by investing capital that helps improve the system, all in the hopes of seeing a good return over time. 

Investment is one of the many inputs into the system, and Shareholder return's are a result. But this result comes after demonstrating proper value to a market. The sentiment is that this is an issue of a result becoming the main goal, and that it is throwing off the whole dynamic. 
    GdemamiTuor7
  • borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    edited January 2019
    Izkimar said:
    bonzoso21 said:

That's a small handful of examples in a market that is constantly putting out titles that is aimed at exploiting the gaming audience. Look at recent examples of EA, ActiBlizz, Bethesda, etc. Yes I recognize there are outliers even within the AAA industry, but the problem lies at first principles with business structure. 

Battle for Azeroth is objectively bad. It is a shell of a game, and offers a very shallow gameplay experience. It is a terribly designed skinner box. The new Arathi, Warfronts, Island expeditions. Etc. etc. 
    BFA has modern game design written all over it. I see so many WoW fans just struggling with what happened to their game, slinging blame at casuals, elitists, hardcore, developers, they are in complete denial that their game has been taken over by corporate overlords.  I think OP you made this video because you yourself are also sad with the current state of WoW. :pensive: I feel your pain man, there hasn't been a decent MMO with those old design concepts in a long time. 

I hope Pantheon ends up being decent!
    IzkimarGdemamiTuor7
    BFA has modern game design written all over it. I see so many WoW fans just struggling with what happened to their game, slinging blame at casuals, elitists, hardcore, developers, they are in complete denial that their game has been taken over by corporate overlords.  I think OP you made this video because you yourself are also sad with the current state of WoW. :pensive: I feel your pain man, there hasn't been a decent MMO with those old design concepts in a long time. 

I hope Pantheon ends up being decent!
    Yep, most the things we bitch about are merely symptomatic. 
    borghive49GdemamiTuor7
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Heres the scoop....I'll keep it short and to the point. 

After large companies seen Blizzards profit from World of Warcraft, like every other surprising profit product they decided to hop on board.  Problem was, they couldn't hold the share holders hostage by making them wait for a full scale game.  So little tricks were invented to cut production time. 

-Easy and fast leveling, this reduces the size of the game to 30 days worth of content.
    -Theme Park, sure telling a story cost money but on a positive side (for them) liner content.
    -Cash Shops, self explanatory.
    -Marketing and sales, tell the people this is what "everyone wants", how can anyone dispute it.
    -Balance classes and targets.  No need if the game is easy.

People will buy anything, business proved that long time ago as long as its advertised.  On a positive note (for them), video games have little consumer protection, buyer beware. 

mmorpg's have run their coarse.  People are FINALLY catching on to this shady business practice, and developers know it, now we have Koran games, because the West will no longer touch this market.  

mmorpg's are not mmorpg's anymore, their games-online.  This site is still popular simply because the mmorpg players moved on and been replaced with the On-line player.  Some of us like both, some of us like to stick it out and argue, but for the most part the mmorpg player moved on.

Their, I covered it all in 15 minuets.

Idk if this was meant to be a jab at my verbose post? Either way I agree with much of your post.
    Izkimar said:

Idk if this was meant to be a jab at my verbose post? Either way I agree with much of your post.
    No not a jab, Honestly you hit the mark.... The jab is, I've been telling these people for years. 
    borghive49
    No not a jab, Honestly you hit the mark.... The jab is, I've been telling these people for years. 
    Hahah yeah I gotcha. I was like before I make a smart ass comment, let me see if I'm misinterpreting this or not :p
  • bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Izkimar said:
    bonzoso21 said:

"Objectively" ... queue the Princess Bride "You keep using that word" meme. It's so strange that everyone is so certain that their point of view is a true snapshot of the majority. My handful of examples is a varied collection of recent AAA franchises, but even if I'd used the franchises that soak up all the internet tears like Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Fallout76, I still wouldn't agree that their problems lie in lack of value.

Hell, even in the MMO genre you have several games like ESO or Guild Wars 2 with a $20 box price, an optional subscription fee, and how much content? Shout from the rooftops that the type of content in many popular games has no value to you and nobody could argue, but as a pure ratio of price to content, the amount of gameplay to be had from a standard $60USD price point has never been higher.
    aummoidGdemamiKyleran
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    edited January 2019
    well , now  we have reason why they sucked , so how to make them not suck ?
    KylerankjempffAlBQuirky
  • borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    bonzoso21 said:
    Izkimar said:
    bonzoso21 said:

"Objectively" ... queue the Princess Bride "You keep using that word" meme. It's so strange that everyone is so certain that their point of view is a true snapshot of the majority. My handful of examples is a varied collection of recent AAA franchises, but even if I'd used the franchises that soak up all the internet tears like Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Fallout76, I still wouldn't agree that their problems lie in lack of value.

Hell, even in the MMO genre you have several games like ESO or Guild Wars 2 with a $20 box price, an optional subscription fee, and how much content? Shout from the rooftops that the type of content in many popular games has no value to you and nobody could argue, but as a pure ratio of price to content, the amount of gameplay to be had from a standard $60USD price point has never been higher.
    A lot of people love McDonalds too! 
    colera1333
    I'll be contradicting myself by saying this, BUT I deal in honesty and realism. 

Most Triple A games I've played in the past few years, I feel I got my $60 value.  In some I can wait for the deprecation price ... But most are worth the full retail box price. 

Even the Games-on-line's are worth $60 if thats your entertainment style, but I like mmorpg's and it's been years since we had one.  There above their budget and refuse to make them.  Instead
    of admitting this refusal, they use marketing to say this is what everyone likes.  Now real mmorpg players are out in the cold.

Cash shops are like gambling for cheesy companies trying to extort money, hoping they can catch the unsuspecting or addictive player.  They study and do their homework knowing they are many...... I rely on principle, their cheesy so I turn my back on them.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    One of the reasons that I really detest gaming companies going public is because the vast majority of the investors do not understand the product, and they don't understand the product consumer.

If you're a company that specializes in tooth care, then your product and your customer are easy to understand.  They want to keep their teeth, clean, shiny and healthy and they want the product they buy to guarantee that it will.  Not only that, but they will continue to buy your product month after month.  Both brushes and paste will fly off the shelves day after day.

Gaming is completely different beast.  Both the product and consumer are difficult to manage.  Building a game that players want to play is both time consuming and expensive.  The ROI isn't always guaranteed.  Your players may have loved the first two games in your series, but for a myriad of reasons, they hate the third game and maybe you dumped more resources into the third one than the first two combined and it's a dud.

This is why you see the big studios almost completely unwilling to take risks.  They shit out another Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty like clockwork without fail.  Almost zero innovation, just the same game in a different location with a different skin.

But then putting out a yearly installment just isn't good enough anymore for the investors.  Sure, you're making money year after year, but you're not making more money.  Profits have to rise every single quarter of every single year for investors to make money, so that yearly AC release isn't good enough.  Get out there and find another way to make more money.

So what do they do?  They hold back parts of the game and sell it to you piecemeal.  The come up with ridiculous bullshit digital items and hold them back in "collectors" or "platinum" editions.  They put loot boxes in your game with randomized garbage so that you'll spend and spend until you have the things you want.

With investors behind gaming, the hobby is only going to get worse and worse and worse.  Ways to monetize gaming are going crop up that you never though of before and you'll be begging to have DLC back because the new crap will be so ridiculous.  A few years ago, I joked that one day in Call of Duty, you'll run out of ammo and a window will pop up asking you if you want to buy more ammo for your character for that life.  In one night of good play, you could ring up another $20 worth of transactions in the heat of the moment.  I'm not so sure it's a joke anymore.

The best gaming studios don't go public.  They don't anchor themselves to investors.  They create a set of principles and anchor themselves to the principles instead.

Even the much vaunted and highly praised CD Projekt Red will one day be cursed to hell in these very forums when their investors come back and say "What the fuck do you mean in your tweet when you said you wouldn't monetize a single player RPG?  You had better monetize it or I'll put my money in another company!"

Investors are, hands down, the worst thing to happen to gaming... and I'm a capitalist at heart.  It's just that the people expecting a return don't understand why the business works in the first place and they see us as living breathing atm machines that they can punch a pin number into every day and make another withdrawal.

At least the toothpaste company doesn't sell the cap separate from the toothpaste at the counter and make you buy it back so it doesn't squirt all over your car on the way home.
    IzkimarGdemamikjempffPhaserlightAlBQuirkycolera1333Tuor7
    iixviiiix said:
    well , now  we have reason why they sucked , so how to make them not suck ?
    that's coming next. I am not really the type to overly complain, I am more of a solution focused kind of a person. But the point of this was to identify the root of the issues and provide context for going forward. 
    iixviiiixGdemamidelete5230AlBQuirky
    H0urg1ass said:
    One of the reasons that I really detest gaming companies going public is because the vast majority of the investors do not understand the product, and they don't understand the product consumer.

If you're a company that specializes in tooth care, then your product and your customer are easy to understand.  They want to keep their teeth, clean, shiny and healthy and they want the product they buy to guarantee that it will.  Not only that, but they will continue to buy your product month after month.  Both brushes and paste will fly off the shelves day after day.

Gaming is completely different beast.  Both the product and consumer are difficult to manage.  Building a game that players want to play is both time consuming and expensive.  The ROI isn't always guaranteed.  Your players may have loved the first two games in your series, but for a myriad of reasons, they hate the third game and maybe you dumped more resources into the third one than the first two combined and it's a dud.

This is why you see the big studios almost completely unwilling to take risks.  They shit out another Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty like clockwork without fail.  Almost zero innovation, just the same game in a different location with a different skin.

But then putting out a yearly installment just isn't good enough anymore for the investors.  Sure, you're making money year after year, but you're not making more money.  Profits have to rise every single quarter of every single year for investors to make money, so that yearly AC release isn't good enough.  Get out there and find another way to make more money.

So what do they do?  They hold back parts of the game and sell it to you piecemeal.  The come up with ridiculous bullshit digital items and hold them back in "collectors" or "platinum" editions.  They put loot boxes in your game with randomized garbage so that you'll spend and spend until you have the things you want.

With investors behind gaming, the hobby is only going to get worse and worse and worse.  Ways to monetize gaming are going crop up that you never though of before and you'll be begging to have DLC back because the new crap will be so ridiculous.  A few years ago, I joked that one day in Call of Duty, you'll run out of ammo and a window will pop up asking you if you want to buy more ammo for your character for that life.  In one night of good play, you could ring up another $20 worth of transactions in the heat of the moment.  I'm not so sure it's a joke anymore.

The best gaming studios don't go public.  They don't anchor themselves to investors.  They create a set of principles and anchor themselves to the principles instead.

Even the much vaunted and highly praised CD Projekt Red will one day be cursed to hell in these very forums when their investors come back and say "What the fuck do you mean in your tweet when you said you wouldn't monetize a single player RPG?  You had better monetize it or I'll put my money in another company!"

Investors are, hands down, the worst thing to happen to gaming... and I'm a capitalist at heart.  It's just that the people expecting a return don't understand why the business works in the first place and they see us as living breathing atm machines that they can punch a pin number into every day and make another withdrawal.

At least the toothpaste company doesn't sell the cap separate from the toothpaste at the counter and make you buy it back so it doesn't squirt all over your car on the way home.
    I don't think the problem can just be pinned on "investors". It is the investor executive relationship, it is the philosophy that the Investors are the Principal agent, and the executive's role is to get them high returns. Thus, they get more compensation on stock options than on delvering real market value. This wasn't always the predominant way the Corporation was run, even those like Jack Welch thing shareholder value maximization is a stupid philosophy. 

I don't think it can run on forever though. Consumers will eventually become resistant to it. It may seem like it can go on forever, but the evolution of modern game monetization is a blip on the radar of time for the lifespans of corporations and monopolies. 

"A few years ago, I joked that one day in Call of Duty, you'll run out of ammo and a window will pop up asking you if you want to buy more ammo" 

They put a reticle in the COD cash shop recently hahaha. 

Anyways, consumers will eventually have had enough, and just have much less interest in purchasing. Looking at the steep drop in the market it might seem like we are starting to hit that point. If not now, the day will come. 

We must get back to the original role of the corporation/organization. When real market value was the most important metric, and shareholder returns were a result. Returns are important, but they are not the main focus. Whenever they become the main focus it hurts the whole system. 
    Gdemami