Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is ANTHEM Any Good? - Anthem VIP Demo Impressions - TheHiveLeader - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited January 2019 in Videos Discussion

imageIs ANTHEM Any Good? - Anthem VIP Demo Impressions - TheHiveLeader - MMORPG.com

This weekend was the Anthem VIP Demo, allowing many players their first look at the game. Being a major fan of looter shooters, TheHiveLeader couldn't help but jump in and check out one of the most anticipated games of 2019. But was Anthem any good? Was it fun? How was flying? FIND OUT NOW!

Read the full story here

Comments

• 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    edited January 2019
    I'd buy it if it was Ubisoft game. But knowing BioWare/EA I'm sure it's just a prequel to endless blatant attempts to part me with my money. Like, for example, in case of SWTOR where this duo had asked me for $15 to unlock character's bank account during f2p transition - after I've paid ~$100 for the game and subscriptions.

And with $20 armor set price, $12 emotes, $4 decals - f2p transition possibility isn't that far fetched.
    Tuor7ShadowStyleBDr_BinksFacelessSaviorSiugMrMelGibson

Thank you for your time!

• GendarkGendark Member UncommonPosts: 100
    edited January 2019
    Good video.
    I had a lot of fun playing the game and I will play it for sure... the mouse+keyboard controls were really bad when flying but when you get used to it it gets a little better. They say that in  the realease the controls are tunned and better.

My only fear it's also content, 4 dungeons don't seem like a lot even with 3 master diffuculty modes, and the epic contracs at least what they showed are just 3 step missions.
    Lets hope that is enought for the first month until the realease of the shapper storms, somekind of end game content a la diablo rifts or horde mode in other ways.

Anyways the game is fun and i think it will be worth the money for what it have to offer ( 20-30h of bioware history, some open world craft, good character customitzation, javelin build diversity and 3 difficulties for loot farming).
    Vexiusx
  • VexiusxVexiusx Member UncommonPosts: 212

3dom said:

I'd buy it if it was Ubisoft game. But knowing BioWare/EA I'm sure it's just a prequel to endless blatant attempts to part me with my money. Like, for example, in case of SWTOR where this duo had asked me for $15 to unlock character's bank account during f2p transition - after I've paid ~$100 for the game and subscriptions.

And with $20 armor set price, $12 emotes, $4 decals - f2p transition possibility isn't that far fetched.

Another person who didn't do any research and is spreading false information thanks.

There are no lootboxes.
    All patches/dlc's will be free (unlike their competitor destiny2)
    You can buy cosmetics (no gamble dirctly buy what you want) they are LOOKS only.

If you just play the game you will earn currency as well to unlock those cosmetics.
    In short one of the best monetization models i have seen so far in a long time specially when you look at the cashgrab from Destiny2.

Buy the game for 30-40Euro (depending where you buy) and play for free for years.
    If you would only just play it for the singe player campaign that money would be wisely spend on it.
    FacelessSaviorMrMelGibsonxybedout
  • nepulasnepulas Member UncommonPosts: 218
    lol i actually read depression instead of impression... but sums it up way better imo anyways ;)

Retired : Daoc , Warhammer , WoW , Lotro , Tabula Rasa , Everquest 2 , Aion, Eve , AoC , SW:Tor ( failwars ), Planetside 2
    Waiting : Star Citizen
    Playing : Star Citizen
    FPS : Overwatch

Yt chan : https://www.youtube.com/user/raine187

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    edited January 2019

Vexiusx said:

3dom said:

Another person who didn't do any research and is spreading false information thanks.

There are no lootboxes.

You can buy cosmetics (no gamble dirctly buy what you want) they are LOOKS only.

If you just play the game you will earn currency as well to unlock those cosmetics.

In short one of the best monetization models i have seen so far in a long time specially when you look at the cashgrab from Destiny2.

Buy the game for 30-40Euro (depending where you buy) and play for free for years.

If you would only just play it for the singe player campaign that money would be wisely spend on it.

He isn't spreading false information, because he is just giving an example what another game did. He isn't stating that Anthem is taking the same mode, but merely suggesting that it might whilst pointing at why he thinks that. It's called opinion.
    ZenerenFacelessSavior
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    I agree with everything Hive said in the video. My only real worry is if there will be enough content.
    Octagon7711Xingbairong
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Hope the interceptor is fun, as I'm predominately a melee player.

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Running around and gunning...sounds so boooooooring.
    Whiskeydust
  • TheHiveLeaderTheHiveLeader Video MaestroMember RarePosts: 234
    Bloodaxes said:
    Hope the interceptor is fun, as I'm predominately a melee player.
    I played the Interceptor the most. It was quite fun. Just make sure you get in there, do your damage, and then get out. Flying in battle will be your friend.
    BloodaxesMrMelGibson
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Can you play marbalee focused Colossus or is it a ranged class?
  • TheHiveLeaderTheHiveLeader Video MaestroMember RarePosts: 234
    edited January 2019
    Xarko said:
    I didn't get enough time with the Colossus to be able to answer that question accurately. My best guess though... ranged. Unless the class is specifically melee focused (like the Interceptor) you're likely going to have to rely on your guns.
    XarkoOctagon7711
  • bobbymcswansonbobbymcswanson Member UncommonPosts: 204
    On normal mode "I can't say I found the demo to be all that easy" ...."I blew through what the demo had to offer in 3 hours"....? If you want a super long, easy mode grind fest.....I think you meant to install Warframe
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    It might turn into a half decent shooter looter, but really it all depends on monetisation, if they are going to be charging $20 for skins then i think there are going to be problems, at the moment i would say the game will live or die based on the cash shop. :/
    Octagon7711Xarko
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    edited January 2019

Gendark said:

Good video.
    I had a lot of fun playing the game and I will play it for sure... the mouse+keyboard controls were really bad when flying but when you get used to it it gets a little better. They say that in  the realease the controls are tunned and better.

My only fear it's also content, 4 dungeons don't seem like a lot even with 3 master diffuculty modes, and the epic contracs at least what they showed are just 3 step missions.
    Lets hope that is enought for the first month until the realease of the shapper storms, somekind of end game content a la diablo rifts or horde mode in other ways.

Anyways the game is fun and i think it will be worth the money for what it have to offer ( 20-30h of bioware history, some open world craft, good character customitzation, javelin build diversity and 3 difficulties for loot farming).

There's only 4 Strongholds at launch? Where did you find this info? That is a bit worrisome if that's the case. Also, remember you have the open world dungeons that you can run through and after looking at the map seems to be like 10+ of them. So turn the difficulty up before going into open world and hit up the open world dungeons. They have bosses an stuff as well and drop a lot of loot. I had fun going through them in the Demo
  • WaanWaan Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Nice video! I saw a reviewer mention the chicken legs on the javelins and now I can't unsee them anymore.

Not really a fan of the endless PvE grinding, but might get it anyway just for a couple of weeks of fun. With all the freely available customization options I hope the cash shop won't be too bad.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited January 2019
    Trust is earned and after Andromeda and a rough demo I've seen nothing that earns that trust. Why should I believe launch will be great when the only thing I have to go on is their word? They have a pretty strong history of saying what people want to hear and not living up to it. But for the record, I hope they prove me wrong. I'd love to say all the people who were telling me the game will be great were right and I was wrong. Oh, and I always enjoy those videos! :smiley:
    Phry

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Supposedly flying will be easier with the controller, well the difficulty has to be dumbed down for the console guys or they start complaining. :)
    XarkoOctagon7711moshraSamhael
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    ill get bored of this game in one week ill give it a pass, ill play it a bit when it goes free like Destiny in a few years.
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430

Xarko said:

I played the colossus a bit. There is a melee aoe slam attack and a shield you can whip out to block stuff.
    MrMelGibson
  • Mr.GutsyMr.Gutsy Member UncommonPosts: 87
    edited January 2019

3dom said:

Yeah Ubisoft. The company that spearheaded always online DRM for single player only games with no remorse. The company that under-delivered the division, rainbow six siege, and watchdog at launch now gets praise. How privileged! The company that launched for honor and ghost recon wildlands without dedicated servers is a great thing! Bioware launching with dedicated servers, bad thing! The company that milks assassin's creed with cold hands in the same manner as Activision milks call of duty. Bioware should be like Ubisoft! Not!

P.S. Microtransactions in for honor, wonderful! Microtransactions in anthem, terrible! Oh the hypocrisy!

P.P.S. Ubisoft is as despicable as EA. Probably more. Activision-Blizzard is the worst of them all. Bethesda is catching up.
    PhryPher0ciousmoshraMrMelGibson
  • blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259
    edited January 2019

Xarko said:

I played the colossus a bit. There is a melee aoe slam attack and a shield you can whip out to block stuff.
    This!
    Paired with a shotgun and mixed with some "hover/fly + ground slam AoE" (when you hit the "maelea" attack when in the air, you drop to the floor with big slam), and you can have an interesting close range build I would think. (I'm sure you can find some gadgets to complement this well also, like some freezing grenades or electrical arc, etc).

The shield / shield slam is also interesting, especially if you have the taunting skill available (based on your equipement).

That's one thing I think that was missing from the video (or I just got distracted when it was mentioned), it's that you can change your "skills" by changing gear. 

For example, with the colossus, I could have a skill that would taunt everything around me, or equip another piece of gear that would instead boost all party members shields (including mine) by 33% for some time. Same for most things that are on cool downs (rocket barrage, rail guns, flame throwers, etc.). 

It looks like there will be lots of possibilities, and great synergies with other party members.

MrMelGibson
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Skyforge maps, with ARPG like combat,CSGO in between,bunch of easy fodder,zzzzzzzzzzzz.

As far as copying the CSGO idea of buying gear in between battles is at least done in a city shop instead of some cheap screen just popping up.

Skyforge like maps..yeah ugly,cheap lazy effort.

ARPG combat,seems to be the era of gaming that so many games are going the easy spam fodder idea,i have no idea WHY,i prefer tactics and meaningful decisions,spamming firepower into easy targets is just not fun for me.

As for VALUE...time,i already said this be one week of gameplay tops.SO then repeat it over and over in harder modes,ok so they also copied Diablo,again NOT a good idea.

FUN???Well as mentioned and the reason idc about the game,>>>"we already have loads of games doing the pew pew fire at easy fodder idea,flying...exo suit doesn't make it any better.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Vexiusx said:

3dom said:

There are no lootboxes.

There were not any in SWTOR at the beginning either, then EA realized they could bleed an addicted community. EA is the devil
    FacelessSavior
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    As for the demo, I really was not impressed. Found the game lifeless and sterile. The ridiculous load times are intolerable. I am sure the fanbois are going to be raving over it as they always do for the first month, but I see the game as it stands to have a very short lifespan before those same fanbois start raging about the game and how awful it is and how anyone that plays it is a loser and what not. Remember Division 2 is about to drop as well and remember gamers are locusts, we consume the green pasture as quickly as we can then move on to the next green pasture. 
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Colossus is great as a melee focused class.

Using the Shield is awesome, block all kinds of stuff, can shield bash, can run and shield bash, so good.

Pair it with a shotgun and some close range abilities (like flack cannon) and man it was fun.
    Octagon7711MrMelGibson