Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Valve says its "unfair" that metro exodus is epic store exclusive

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited January 2019
    Celcius said:

What I take issue with is that people are yelling about exclusives sooo much! There is SO MUCH MORE to complain about with the Epic store. As I said in a prior post in this thread, there is a pretty huge list of complaints that are far far more of an issue then exclusives! They don't have a phone authenticator, for one, like wtf @ that one? 
    Well, that's exactly the problem. I like to use Steam, I think it offers a better experience. I have nothing against Epic, couldn't care less about them. But I want to use Steam because it's a better storefront than Epic's Store, at this point in time. It's where I've build up my collection, my achievements and my contacts. I think the workshop is great. Big picture mode is something I use quite a lot, some of the software on there is extremely useful like Controller Companion that I use to be able to play with a gamepad in any game I want. Even simple things like that way the games are tagged so it's easier to search or the discovery queue.

Just like.. someone might go to a certain supermarket because they think the service is better or they think the products are laid out better across the store.. or whatever.

Epic's tactics are trying to make me use their sub-par launcher. Like, actually force me to use it.. no choice in the matter. It's the exclusives that are doing that, they are the root of the problem.
    zaberfangxCelcius
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited January 2019
    I would happily go back to physical copies, but half of the ones I can buy on Amazon require me to DL it from Steam anyway. I can’t help but feel consumers lost out on this with all the digital downloading and preorder exclusive BS.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    edited January 2019
    A couple things to keep in mind:
    • As it is right now, the only region that gets the game cheaper at launch is US. Everyone else is getting it at either the regular price or way more expensive, since Epic does not adjust for regional price differences.
    • The developers of Metro opted to skip the Steam gamer reviews (that only buyers can contribute). That is alarming news for the quality of the game, especially considering that Epic's return policy is only similar to Steam's on paper.
    • It's interesting that the combination of gated content combined with Denuvo or similar software may spark a resurgence of pirated software, that subsided considerably due to the convenience and discounts Steam, GoG etc offered.
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited January 2019
    Palebane said:
    I would happily go back to physical copies, but half of the ones I can buy on Amazon require me to DL it from Steam anyway. I can’t help but feel consumers lost out on this with all the digital downloading and preorder exclusive BS.
    I think that ship is sailing out fast. Even console going off that way slowly. I know there companies still offer a physical copies that mostly never full game and does not work unless if it's online on a lot of games so far.

Palebane
    Palebane said:
    I think that ship is sailing out fast. Even console going off that way slowly. I know there companies still offer a physical copies that mostly never full game and does not work unless if it's online on a lot of games so far.

God, yeh, in the UK we haven't had physical copies of PC games in video game stores for about 12 years. None.
    PhryPalebane
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,870
    Celcius said:

What I take issue with is that people are yelling about exclusives sooo much! There is SO MUCH MORE to complain about with the Epic store. As I said in a prior post in this thread, there is a pretty huge list of complaints that are far far more of an issue then exclusives! They don't have a phone authenticator, for one, like wtf @ that one? 
    Well, that's exactly the problem. I like to use Steam, I think it offers a better experience. I have nothing against Epic, couldn't care less about them. But I want to use Steam because it's a better storefront than Epic's Store, at this point in time. It's where I've build up my collection, my achievements and my contacts. I think the workshop is great. Big picture mode is something I use quite a lot, some of the software on there is extremely useful like Controller Companion that I use to be able to play with a gamepad in any game I want. Even simple things like that way the games are tagged so it's easier to search or the discovery queue.

Just like.. someone might go to a certain supermarket because they think the service is better or they think the products are laid out better across the store.. or whatever.

Epic's tactics are trying to make me use their sub-par launcher. Like, actually force me to use it.. no choice in the matter. It's the exclusives that are doing that, they are the root of the problem.
    That is a fair argument and I agree with most of what you said. I just think that, with exclusives; there is honestly no point in attacking or defending them. We are all in the wrong on this. We can't change hearts and minds here. 

On one hand, we have the publishers who are shopping around to different platforms. On the other, we have the platform holders. On  yet one other, we have us. The really, cold hard truth -- is that we don't matter in this equation. 

The publishers are just looking for the best bang for their buck, if that means selling their game on a weaker launcher / storefront / diggly doo in favor of a great exclusive deal, they will do it. For the platform holders, including Steam; they will do anything to get us to stay with them. For all of them, exclusives have been a big part of that. (Even Steam) Exclusives are in a strange position because people won't jump on a new platform without them; but if a consumer is unwilling to either use the other platform or buy the other console it can have a huge impact on the sales of said console / platform.

The problem on PC (or lack thereof, depending on your perspective) is that there is no barrier for entry. This ultimately means the risk for the publisher and developer is very low. Most of these titles are going to be on console as well, which they view as just another sale ultimately. They don't care where it sells so much, especially on PC. So naturally, they will take the best deals thrown at them.

I mean as a personal opinion, I don't care about exclusives as I have no issue using multiple platforms. So I will just have to agree to disagree there, but I am just saying that it doesn't matter how loud we scream. The fact is that when the big exclusive comes out on the Epic Launcher (All it takes is 1) loads of people will flock to the platform willingly or unwillingly. With Epic, the advantage they have, is that this already happened with Fortnite. 
    I've been reading that Metro Exodus is one of the best selling games on Steam right now. That's equally funny and sad. Funny because of the amount of people that made the game best selling to avoid Epic's store and sad because of all those pre-orders.
    Palebane
    edited January 2019
    Celcius said:
    Celcius said:

That is a fair argument and I agree with most of what you said. I just think that, with exclusives; there is honestly no point in attacking or defending them. We are all in the wrong on this. We can't change hearts and minds here. 

On one hand, we have the publishers who are shopping around to different platforms. On the other, we have the platform holders. On  yet one other, we have us. The really, cold hard truth -- is that we don't matter in this equation. 

The publishers are just looking for the best bang for their buck, if that means selling their game on a weaker launcher / storefront / diggly doo in favor of a great exclusive deal, they will do it. For the platform holders, including Steam; they will do anything to get us to stay with them. For all of them, exclusives have been a big part of that. (Even Steam) Exclusives are in a strange position because people won't jump on a new platform without them; but if a consumer is unwilling to either use the other platform or buy the other console it can have a huge impact on the sales of said console / platform.

The problem on PC (or lack thereof, depending on your perspective) is that there is no barrier for entry. This ultimately means the risk for the publisher and developer is very low. Most of these titles are going to be on console as well, which they view as just another sale ultimately. They don't care where it sells so much, especially on PC. So naturally, they will take the best deals thrown at them.

I mean as a personal opinion, I don't care about exclusives as I have no issue using multiple platforms. So I will just have to agree to disagree there, but I am just saying that it doesn't matter how loud we scream. The fact is that when the big exclusive comes out on the Epic Launcher (All it takes is 1) loads of people will flock to the platform willingly or unwillingly. With Epic, the advantage they have, is that this already happened with Fortnite. 
    This is the thing causing the problem.

Unlike physical retail stores, digital stores don't buy the stock.

In physical retail, the manufacturers sell the goods to the retail store, they are done. They got what they asked for. Then, the store sells it to the customers; none of the manufacturer's business.

In gaming, the store sells it to the customer before they even have it and gives the developers/producers their 'cut'. Steam or Epic Store, never even own that game license.

That's why it's fucked up. They are like a drop shipping service. The publishers shouldn't be "shopping around", the storefronts should be buying from the publishers.
    Celcius
    Xasapis said:
    I've been reading that Metro Exodus is one of the best selling games on Steam right now. That's equally funny and sad. Funny because of the amount of people that made the game best selling to avoid Epic's store and sad because of all those pre-orders.
    Took them a bit to close out the pre orders. They made sure to offer $50 on the epic store so people can drop the pre orders on steam and go buy it on the epic store.
    Xasapis said:
    Took them a bit to close out the pre orders. They made sure to offer $50 on the epic store so people can drop the pre orders on steam and go buy it on the epic store.
    That was only true for the US market. For everyone else the price was same as the Steam store or worse, since Epic does not yet adjust for region price differences. Again I'm reading that the game was sold for 20$ on steam and is 50$ on Epic due to that.
    Phry
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Man, what a let down.
    [Deleted User]

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Xasapis said:
    Xasapis said:
    That was only true for the US market. For everyone else the price was same as the Steam store or worse, since Epic does not yet adjust for region price differences. Again I'm reading that the game was sold for 20$ on steam and is 50$ on Epic due to that.
    I think the price for the UK version was £50 still, which is closer to $70, no real incentive to buy at that price honestly. :/

edited January 2019

Hmm... I wonder why they can afford getting a smaller share compared to steam? 
    [Deleted User]Palebane

Bloodaxes said:

Hmm... I wonder why they can afford getting a smaller share compared to steam? 
    Your list does not include the support (and development) of non MS Windows gaming, like Linux. Also VR.
    Bloodaxes[Deleted User]Palebane
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    They've ensured that I will be pirating the game instead. Sorry, but that's the truth of it. I simply don't want to build up another library of games somewhere else and that's my choice to make. I'm not waiting a year when I don't have to. My games collection is complicated enough as it is. If it was on Steam I would have bought it in two days when I get paid.
    So you are going to steal it?

Gotcha good thing you are sticking to your principals there.  Steam or steal!
    I've always been open about doing what I think is the best option for myself. I pump way more money into the industry than the average gamer so, trust me, you aren't going to make me feel bad about it.

If I want to make sure games keep featuring on Steam, I need to vote with my wallet, right?

I'm not saying it should only be on Steam.. but I want it on Steam as well.
    This is one of the most pretentious things I've read on this site in a long time. Good job I guess?
    alkarionlog
  • BobVaBobVa Member UncommonPosts: 125
    SBFord said:
    What's interesting is that the price is $10 less for preordering on Epic, especially with the 88/12 split. It's $50 on Epic, $60 on Steam. 

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/metro-exodus/home

https://store.steampowered.com/app/412020/Metro_Exodus/

Those who said the lower split wouldn't result in consumer-friendly pricing are wrong, at least in this case. It'll be interesting to see if it continues with other games.

I know where I'll be buying if the reviews show it's worthwhile. ;)
    Hm! From Europe here, and I see the 60 and 85 euro tag prices on Epic Store for Metro Exodus, and as far as I know, if something costs 50$ in US, then in EU it will be 50E .

So, I don't see this .. beneficial thing you are talking about, unless it costed 70E on Steam before , and now is 60E. 

...for EU at least.
  • VandarixVandarix Member UncommonPosts: 177
    Not a fan of Exclusive games, I will use the launcher I want to use and that launcher is steam... I wont be buying Metro until it comes to steam and is on sale. Screw epic and their launcher.
    KlikaePalebaneMrMelGibson
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    The decision to have Metro Exodus exclusive on Epic store and that it costs more in Europe than elsewhere removed the game from my whish list.
    I heard Feb 2020 it won't be exclusive anymore. Quite sure the price will have dropped till then also. Will recheck then. If I still remember it then that is. ;)
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Seems like a foolish move, especially considering:

Will Metro Exodus ever return to Steam?
    Yes - Metro Exodus will return to Steam and on other store fronts after 14th February 2020.

It's been on Steam for pre-order for quite some time now, but they're going to suddenly remove it (only for a year), and then bring it back to Steam after the year... Meanwhile, there are literally thousands of comments on the game's Steam discussion page from people who are pissed off.
    Klikae[Deleted User]
    The icing on the cake (For me at least), is that there won't even be a way to buy it from their own site. You HAVE to get it from epic or wait a whole year....
    [Deleted User]

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited January 2019
    Celcius said:
    Ridelynn said:
    Remember when every MMO had it's own patcher/launcher? How is this case of "too many storefronts" a whole lot different than that?
    I'm not buying this kind of opinion.

It's like.. we all do our weekly food shopping, right? If we had to get bread from one store, fruit from a different store, milk from another, canned goods and cereal from another, frozen food from a different one, meat from another, soda from another, wine from another, etc. etc.

That analogy makes no sense. Its more like, we have one grocery store (PC) and people claim that one aisle (Steam) is better then another aisle (Epic Store) for one reason or another. 

That argument works for consoles though! 
    Digital platforms on PC that sell games are different shops, literally. The analogy is fine.

We aren't buying games from 'PC' are we..?
    Until Wal-Mart, Kroger, trader Joe's, and Food Lion share the same building so going from one to another costs, like, no time at all..  it's a poor analogy.
    Quizzical

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited January 2019
    Forgrimm said:
    Seems like a foolish move, especially considering:

Will Metro Exodus ever return to Steam?
    Yes - Metro Exodus will return to Steam and on other store fronts after 14th February 2020.

It's been on Steam for pre-order for quite some time now, but they're going to suddenly remove it (only for a year), and then bring it back to Steam after the year... Meanwhile, there are literally thousands of comments on the game's Steam discussion page from people who are pissed off.
    And Gabe Newell is giggling himself to sleep about it in the gold-framed water bed full of baby seal tears he bought from the cash he made doing damn near nothing but taking a cut from others' games for the past decade while providing fuck all support to games that aren't in the top earners on the platform.

bartoni33alkarionlogMrMelGibson

• BananableBananable Member UncommonPosts: 194
    edited January 2019
    "Valve says its "unfair" that metro exodus is epic store exclusive"

This is so hilarious. Lil kids now pissed off  - wishing DS fails, thumb down old metro games on steam. And everyone forgot that preorders are bad in the first place...

Its so weird how people could be so ignorant. So console scamclusives are good, but this isnt?
    Not to mention what did they expect from DS? Their latest games were:
    Sacred 3,
    Homefront 2 (overpriced+denuvo),
    Agents of mayhem (overpriced+denuvo),
    KCD (overpriced, no optimization at all, bugfest and whole "game" is a joke that has no story or logic...like devs by emselves - their "game" is better than RDR, RDR2 and even Elder scrolls VI xD , plus dlc...;
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker - overpriced, bugfest, no optimization, also has season pass...) 

I personally started to "love" this publisher when they shut down DE:epidemic.
    From wiki: all owners of the game received a large DISCOUNT in the online in game item store prior to the shutdown.

So to see this now is incredibly funny.

LETS THE AIR TRADE BEGINS!!! Whos airs gonna be cheapest?
  • halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535
    You guys don't seem to understand. Steam is a plague on the indie and even triple A market - they demand 30% of all sales from developers product.

That's INSANE!

The game distribution platform genre needs this shake-up for Valve to do absolutely anything to keep in competition with Epic, but they aren't doing much. At all. For all I care, and as a person who has thousands in Steam economy currently, I HOPE that Valve crashes and burns for what they did not only to their storefront with the mass amount of garbage, but also to the developers by charging them so much money to host it.

I don't understand why people keep saying "lol no steam no buy" when it's only a detriment to YOU, as a customer, because eventually that 30% cost will trickle down to you as either microtransactions or DLC. 

Think about this a little before you open your mouth. Competition is good in any form. Don't tell me Origin tried because they were doomed from the start, being hosted by EA. Epic is the only one currently that can do it.

alkarionlog