Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

From Cautiously Optimistic to Cautious - MMORPG.com

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I'd be happy if the ranger had a bow.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305

Aeander said:

My opinion is that it is a great game that far exceeded my cautiously optimistic expectations, but that demo was a fucking nightmare and never should have gone live.

I didn't experience any lag, rubber banding, or performance issues (on a regular PS4), but did encounter the infinite load error roughly 75-80% of the time and once fell through the floor during the three titans fight at the last part of Matthias' mission. (Interestingly enough, the world beneath the floor is all water).

I think you couldnt be more wrong. Its not a great game. Its got great visuals and solid combat mechanics as far as the game goes? didnt seem to be much there at all, and if the content is slim it will be utterly awful and the visuals and combat wont keep you entertained for long. Basically felt like a slightly better looking but even worse overall game than destiny....
    [Deleted User]
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    mmrv said:

Aeander said:

My opinion is that it is a great game that far exceeded my cautiously optimistic expectations, but that demo was a fucking nightmare and never should have gone live.

I didn't experience any lag, rubber banding, or performance issues (on a regular PS4), but did encounter the infinite load error roughly 75-80% of the time and once fell through the floor during the three titans fight at the last part of Matthias' mission. (Interestingly enough, the world beneath the floor is all water).

I think you couldnt be more wrong. Its not a great game. Its got great visuals and solid combat mechanics as far as the game goes? didnt seem to be much there at all, and if the content is slim it will be utterly awful and the visuals and combat wont keep you entertained for long. Basically felt like a slightly better looking but even worse overall game than destiny....
    This is at least going to better than Destiny. That's a low, low bar, as far as I'm concerned. 
  • mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305
    Aeander said:
    mmrv said:

Aeander said:

This is at least going to better than Destiny. That's a low, low bar, as far as I'm concerned. 
    lolwut? As someone who played both destiny and destiny 2 and the anthem demo there wasn't a single thing I could identify to substantiate what you said. It has higher quality graphics sure but its also very pedestrian geography rocky hills jungle okay seen it all before destiny 2 atleast had outstanding high sci fi  settings. Destiny 2 had incredible gameplay combat as well felt crisp and amazing to run around shooting things actually has a far better feel that what anthem showed in the demo.

So exactly what did you seen in anthem demo that made it a better  game than destiny 2 because there wasnt a single thing i could see that was better regarding actual gameplay.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited January 2019
    My priority questions are:

• How big is the actual game map, and is it empty or filled with content and lore to discover?
    • What is Biowares content schedule for Anthem and does it involve more varied map coverage?
    • Does Bioware plan on releasing more Javelins to acquire?
    • Do they plan on doing anything about the horrendous SCAR enemy NPC routines?
    Post edited by FlyByKnight on
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    mmrv said:
    Aeander said:
    mmrv said:

Aeander said:

lolwut? As someone who played both destiny and destiny 2 and the anthem demo there wasn't a single thing I could identify to substantiate what you said. It has higher quality graphics sure but its also very pedestrian geography rocky hills jungle okay seen it all before destiny 2 atleast had outstanding high sci fi  settings. Destiny 2 had incredible gameplay combat as well felt crisp and amazing to run around shooting things actually has a far better feel that what anthem showed in the demo.

So exactly what did you seen in anthem demo that made it a better  game than destiny 2 because there wasnt a single thing i could see that was better regarding actual gameplay.
    This is going to come down to personal preference because the two games are pretty distinct.

I prefer the 3rd person perspective of Anthem to the 1st person perspective of Destiny. It makes a huge difference for me, and it basically gives Anthem, the Division, and Warframe an automatic leg up on Destiny for me. Destiny would have to be significantly better than these to overcome that, and I just don't think that it is.

I prefer the increased emphasis on flight, dashing, and mobility.

I prefer the increased emphasis on and lower cooldowns of abilities, with combos to make them feel even more gratifying to use than Destiny's abilities. It's a little like Counterstrike vs. Overwatch here, as Destiny (the Counterstrike) is all about gunplay whereas Anthem (the Overwatch) seems to place a larger emphasis on abilities (though we do need to see what the high end loot feels like and performs like to adequately gauge this). 

I prefer the more distinct, varied Javelins to Destiny's classes (which are basically just different stats, grenades, melee, jumps, and ultimate for a relatively similar experience). In fact, I would say that the ultimates in Destiny are really the only real game-changers for the classes, because they are the only abilities that can't be reduced to "just another grenade or melee." Compare that to say, the Storm in Anthem, which plays completely differently from the other Javelins with its emphasis on floating above the battlefield and raining down large nuke combos. 

I prefer the more open free roaming map(s) with custom difficulty settings of Anthem to Destiny's easy, boring, semi-linear patrol maps. (Whether this was improved on for Destiny 2, I cannot say - because who in their right mind buys a sequel to a game that they didn't like all that much? I sure wouldn't.) 
    MadFrenchie
  • EMoneyEMoney Member UncommonPosts: 52

SBFord said:

bartoni33 said:

"Anthem is basically like playing Mass Effect Andromeda".

Uh that is not in any way a positive thing. At all. Flying around or not.

The more I read and see about this game the more I am glad I'm getting it for free.

Andromeda's gameplay was fantastic. I'm a huge critic of Andromeda, but combat isn't a feature I can find fault with.

While shooting stuff was pretty fun, Mass Effect always worked best as a cover shooter. That, and I felt the gun variety was really weak. In a sci-fi game especially, leaving the player with rifle, pistol, shotgun is pretty lame. Some interesting, unique, and over the top variety would be nice. Otherwise, it was a fine shooting gallery, though I never got my heart rate up playing ME:A like some of the more tactical fights in previous ME entries would, controlling the other characters and using powers to tip the balance of an encounter.
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,495
    It really wasn't ready for a demo. Maybe in another month or two. And that's just talking about the connection issues and bugs.
    The actual playing was... meh. I really wasn't drawn back to play more. I forced myself to go back and try the second mission out and it bugged out but I was actually bored before that happened. Maybe with friends but right now I can't bring myself to encourage anyone to buy who wasn't already set on it.
    [Deleted User]
  • Panserbjorne39Panserbjorne39 Member UncommonPosts: 142
    I will give it a second chance if it ends up being more then a loot shooter with flying and gorgeous visual fx. I hate pointless gear grind. I need some good old Bioware story and characters.
  • JimWraithJimWraith Member UncommonPosts: 127
    For something that was released as a "Demo," it played and was buggy like a late Alpha, early Beta. Though it does seem like some things were fixed and tweaked in the demo during the VIP weekend. I'll give it a second look during the open Demo weekend and make my final judgements then.

Hopefully BioWare learned something from this, like DON'T USE A CLUDGY BETA BUILD FOR THE DEMO. Hopefully they get their shit together for round 2.
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Aeander said:

bartoni33 said:

SBFord said:

bartoni33 said:

"Anthem is basically like playing Mass Effect Andromeda".

Uh that is not in any way a positive thing. At all. Flying around or not.

The more I read and see about this game the more I am glad I'm getting it for free.

Andromeda's gameplay was fantastic. I'm a huge critic of Andromeda, but combat isn't a feature I can find fault with.

Yeah it's true that the gameplay was good. But I still would be very careful comparing the two when trying to put a positive spin on a EA/Bioware game.

I was sooooooooooooooooooooooo let down by ME:A that I have a hard time thinking positive about any aspect of its existence.

As much as I was let down by ME:A, I still liked it much better than DA:I. I hated my time with that one. 

Couldn't agree more. DA:I had some pretty cool characters, but gameplay, IMO, was terrible. ME:A was the opposite.

Worth noting: I didn't play either of them until at least 6 months after launch. So ME:A had fixed alot of their animations at that point.

DA:I mounts: WTF? It's like walking slightly faster, except you get completely blocked by stuff like tree roots, delaying me from pew pewing at the latest generic skybeam in the area. How the game got so much praise while others were ignored or blown to bits boggles my mind.
    [Deleted User]
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

SBFord said:

Let's stay on track, folks. The thread is about Anthem!

Is it a good sign that people are so uninterested in Anthem that they want to bring up 3 year old games, instead?

Asking for a friend...
    Aeander[Deleted User]Quizzical
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I'd give the game a 2/10,why so low?
    Well a 4/10 means barely playable but needs some more content and only playable if i can buy it for 5-10 bucks.
    This game does not deliver well on content or the adventure or the game world design.It's online support is lol crap and imo ONLY there so they can figure out some cash shop ideas.So you can play co op,ok yeah,not a lot going on there,uses a simple hub with many repeated models,yeah LAZY effort.

The world reminds me of Skyforge,a bunch of cheap parcels of land with some trees and rocks,very underwhelming delivery of eye candy/adventure/world design.

To me this looks like 1 year of work,very similar to cheap console games.Worth ...value,well to each their own assessment but to me,NOT worth buying or playing .So then i break it down even further,if this was 100% for free,would i play it,absolutely not,so yeah 2/10 is generous and if not for their large marketing of the game would go unnoticed if a small Indie team operation.
    Aeander

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Classic WoW. I was really looking for that. But now, I expect that Blizz is going to be looking to milk this as their next Cash Cow. I don't expect this to be just a simple "side-line" legacy offering to take us back to the game we used to play. I can't imagine they aren't sitting in meetings asking "How can we max-monetize this nostalgia?"
    Read more at https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/478945/from-cautiously-optimistic-to-cautious-mmorpg-com/p3#CZpMPSHuCLteDxw4.99

You can 150% count on it,Blizzard is all abotu money for the last 4 years or so.Amazon is the same scummy type business,all they wanted is a simple game design where they could sell a good marketing video,5 minutes gameplay,use their huge bankroll to coerce websites and streamers into endorsing their game.

You know who couldn't be bought?Angry Joe,the facial expressions said it all,heck HE said it all.He looked EXTREMELY bored and then delivered the statement and his bros agreed with him..."you know this game is starting to feel like one of those games we just play but don't want to play".So then he says "but i'm a reviewer so i HAVE to play this".

I shared his anguish BEFORE i saw any actual gameplay because nothing in the marketing said this game was doing anything unique/special or exciting.
    Aeander

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411
    edited January 2019
    First off I'd like to say that I game with last years version of the Alienware 17 R5. (The I-7 8750 along with the GTX 1080.) I use XFinity Wifi here in Washington D.C. as my IP.

Played 6 hours both Friday and Saturday and finished 4 hours Sunday maxed out at Level 15 after having unlocked the Colossus. Played fine except for some rubber-banding Friday night. Strongholds were great. (After I figured out you had to log completely out of the game then log back in and rejoin to get past the infinite loading screen.)Had a blast getting ROFL-stomped by the bosses. I'm a full-time ESO player so the controls were easy to use. A little adjustment for flight. (I use a Logitech G700s.)The only bad thing I can say is it was a pain with no communication. No chat. and Ingame voice was disabled, making it impossible to coordinate your movements with squadmates. Once they get the problems fixed and if they can keep the endgame entertaining, they'll have a winner.

For some reason, everyone keeps treating this like it was a launch when they said before it even began it wasn't going to be a final build. Just a vertical slice from early mid-game. Most of the login problems were EA's website, not Biowares.

Can't know what the server loads going to be until you flip the switch. You can guess and scribble mathematical formula to get a good idea, but you just can't KNOW until you flip that switch. They ran it for a few hours, then shut it down to add more player slots and bandwidth. Rubber-band problems (For me.) were gone after the first 6 to 8 hours.

Don't buy into all the click-baiting that's going on. It wasn't nearly as bad as people are making out. Most of the worst posts were from Friday and most people never bother to come back and say 'Oh hey! They fixed the stuff I complained about!' leaving just the original negative posts to pile up.
  • TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 430
    I'm still very pessimistic about the monetization. No loot boxes... fantastic. But as users have suggested, the test price of 25 coins will show where the most demand was, while the picture of 'sample' prices of 20,000 coins for a skin was a test of the upper limits on pricing.
    They can test how much backlash they receive while having deniability since it wasn't an 'official' screen cap of pricing.

Octagon7711
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    "I don’t have a whole lot to say about the game’s story at this point."

Neither does the game by the sound of it. :)

But I won't be playing Anthem for story, lets wait for the reviews and if the package is good enough I will be there.
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    I had more fun than I thought I would have. Issues aside, I spent a good 10-15 hours ingame.

I'm a believer.
    Wizardry said:
    I'd give the game a 2/10,why so low?
    Well a 4/10 means barely playable but needs some more content and only playable if i can buy it for 5-10 bucks.
    This game does not deliver well on content or the adventure or the game world design.It's online support is lol crap and imo ONLY there so they can figure out some cash shop ideas.So you can play co op,ok yeah,not a lot going on there,uses a simple hub with many repeated models,yeah LAZY effort.

The world reminds me of Skyforge,a bunch of cheap parcels of land with some trees and rocks,very underwhelming delivery of eye candy/adventure/world design.

To me this looks like 1 year of work,very similar to cheap console games.Worth ...value,well to each their own assessment but to me,NOT worth buying or playing .So then i break it down even further,if this was 100% for free,would i play it,absolutely not,so yeah 2/10 is generous and if not for their large marketing of the game would go unnoticed if a small Indie team operation.
    "Lazy," "cheap," "2/10."

Looks like another copy paste Wizardry review.
    TacticalZombeh
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    They seem to be under a ton of pressure to get this thing out as soon as possible.  Perhaps they want to beat the other shooters that are due out soon.  I'd rather they delay the launch and have a decent game, then put something out there that has a lot of problems, making the wait and see crowd write it off.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• RedMachine72RedMachine72 Member UncommonPosts: 154
    "The controls felt sluggish, like the game was trying to emulate a joystick even while I was using a mouse and keyboard. My heart sank and I felt much of my excitement deflate like a balloon."

Welcome to today's game market. Everything that is on multiple platforms is made for console and ported to PC (poorly most of the time). I wish that it was the other way around or at least developed side by side, console and PC, but it is the bottom line only that comes into play when a new game is created and side by side development will not happen.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,360
    I think Anthem is just Warframe
  • jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    edited January 2019

jonp200 said:

I had fun in the demo; experienced connectivity issues, rubber-banding, long load times between missions; all of which I am sure will be worked out. The gameplay interface works and flying was fun.

What will differentiate Anthem vs. the other "shooters" is the story arc and whether Bioware can deliver on that as they typically do. I didn't see enough of that in the demo to have a sense if that will be the case.

Also in the back of my mind is whether EA will muck up this release with "loot boxes" or paywalls in any other name. They aren't there at release but I'm sure they will test the waters at some point.

Don't be so sure those issues will be worked out by launch.  See FO76 for details.

You do make a good point. If more of us adopted a "wait and see" it would force a raising of the bar for developers to push something out decent at launch.

I've been playing F76 too. While it was a travesty at launch, it is much improved but still needs quite a bit of patching. I feel if it had released in the state it is in now, we all would have been a little more forgiving. Remains to be seen if Bethesda can make this evolve into something worthy of the dedicated fan base. To your point, it is the last Bethesda game I will ever pre-order. They'll get more dollars from me in the future if the reviews are decent.
    TacticalZombehMadFrenchie

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    "The controls felt sluggish, like the game was trying to emulate a joystick even while I was using a mouse and keyboard. My heart sank and I felt much of my excitement deflate like a balloon."

Welcome to today's game market. Everything that is on multiple platforms is made for console and ported to PC (poorly most of the time). I wish that it was the other way around or at least developed side by side, console and PC, but it is the bottom line only that comes into play when a new game is created and side by side development will not happen.

The Division wasn't. And Ubi is putting out videos like this for Div2:

This is the sort of approach I would've liked to have seen for Anthem on PC.
    [Deleted User]Octagon7711[Deleted User]MadFrenchieRobsolf
  • BlueThunderBearBlueThunderBear Member RarePosts: 228
    How do you screw up a game with powerarmor and jetpacks?