Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anthem Hands On Preview & Interview with Mark Darrah - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320

Arterius said:

Honestly its because video games are costing more money to produce I think. Companies are too scared to charge $120 for a game so instead they charge $60 with a cash shop. I don't mind if the cash shop isn't intrusive. Now they make so much money off of cash shops why would they ever charge more.

I don't think games are getting that much more to make when adjusting for inflation. In fact in some ways they cost less due to things like Unity. If they cost more it's because the publishers want it to cost more. They want the fad features that are ultimately unnecessary or only add bloat. Then they try to guilt people into using the cash shops and if that doesn't work they will punish players who don't use the cash shops.

Yes, a game has to make money. It's called "a $60 price tag". It's called "paid expansions". If they have to use gambling mechanics and psychological tricks on you then it's unethical for them to do it.
    Gorwealkarionlog
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Alverant said:

Arterius said:

Honestly its because video games are costing more money to produce I think. Companies are too scared to charge $120 for a game so instead they charge $60 with a cash shop. I don't mind if the cash shop isn't intrusive. Now they make so much money off of cash shops why would they ever charge more.

I don't think games are getting that much more to make when adjusting for inflation. In fact in some ways they cost less due to things like Unity. If they cost more it's because the publishers want it to cost more. They want the fad features that are ultimately unnecessary or only add bloat. Then they try to guilt people into using the cash shops and if that doesn't work they will punish players who don't use the cash shops.

Yes, a game has to make money. It's called "a $60 price tag". It's called "paid expansions". If they have to use gambling mechanics and psychological tricks on you then it's unethical for them to do it.
    Not to call you out on that but unless you have actually managed budgets for software companies/video game companies I don't really think you can make that statement.

Yes, there are more tools for the developers but not every developer is running to unity. Maybe small developers trying to save some money. Attracting good talent is another thing as well.

Not only that but trying to make something that has a hint of "having something new" is also going to cost them.

And most players ARE looking for the bells and whistles. you see it on this site all the time. Some indy company posts footage (in beta or alpha no less) and the "it looks lik 1998" brigade will start marching in.

Look at Camelot Unchained. It seems they have raised 17 million for it with Mark Jacobs putting in some of his own money.

Dark Age of Camlet cost wayyyy less to make even with inflation. part of this could be that they had to figure out a way to make their engine/get a lot of people on screen without too much lag, and it could be that it took them a while given what a small team could do.

Still, that is a large jump for "somewhat" similar games. Not the same mind you but definitely going for the three faction pvp game.

[Deleted User]alkarionlogMrMelGibson
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    Initially, when announced, I was excited for this game. However, after seeing much of the game play recently, that excitement has waned. Probably because it seems to be a little bit like Destiny in some say and probably because I am burnt out on this type of game. I am sure there are going to be a lot of people playing and a lot really enjoying it. I just won't be right away.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    Most overhyped game of the year...
    [Deleted User]Dick1232Gorwealkarionlog
  • samooryesordsamooryesord Member UncommonPosts: 98
    I had a lot of fun with the demo but, It's really pissing me off that a lot of youtubers are bashing the demo and acting like its the final product and misleading their viewers into believing the game is garbage based on a demo of an alpha version of the game.
    alkarionlog
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Warlyx said:
    I would say the complete and total opposite. One of the most underhyped games of the year with tons of (justified) cynnicism going in, despite all shown indications that this may actually be a great game for its genre.

An actual overhyped game, IMO, is Death Stranding. For all its hype, all gameplay shown thus far has made it look like a walking simulator with light horror elements. Does that mean that the game won't be better than this? No. It just means that the selected advertising, whether accurate of the final product or not, is remarkably poor. 
    KajidourdenDick1232TheDarkrayneTacticalZombehalkarionlogMrMelGibson
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    So far the game is incredible.  They have some polish work to do on UI/controls and apparently framerates on consoles (didn't have this issue on pc), plus connection issues of them DDoS'ing themselves with their disconnect fix (lol), but yeah...this game is going to be great.
    alkarionlogMrMelGibson
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,512
    I tried it- at a friends house. I must admit I was wrong about this game! *Takes a piece of humble pie*
    MrMelGibson

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• Jester135Jester135 Member UncommonPosts: 21
    TBH Game's been running smooth, after they fixed the issues shortly after the demo release. Haven't had graphical issues. I'm sure there are a lot of things not available in the demo, but so far it seems like everything that's available are working as intended. My matches have gone well, never experienced the issues I saw in the boards, about objectives not spawning or despawning. Would be nice if they let you sprint in town though, argh >:|
    MrMelGibson
  • Dick1232Dick1232 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Warlyx said:
    LOL, or one of the best games of the year. Your comp can t run it? That's what I thought
    alkarionlog
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Torval said:
    It's alright. Better than the haters say, definitely not as good as the fanboys claim either. It's not boring, just unremarkable. If we buy it then we'll probably wait for a sale.
    Basically. I think the main argument is how sad it is that; 

"Meh, I'll get it when it's on sale"

is associated with an AAA game put out by Electronic Arts and Bioware. That's still a tough thing to digest for me, so I can only imagine what it's like for the more rabid fan base.

You're right though. Not the end of the world, definitely not the beginning of a new one either.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455
    I have NOT heard good thing:

Poor AI

Bulletsponge enemies

Kinda lame story (although I am thinking alot of that is missing)

Connectivity issues

And a ton of other buggy things.

I wanted this to be good SO BAD, and I am still gonna download the open demo next week before I decide for myself and my son whether to preorder or not.....but I gotta be real. This is EA and Bioware, and lately they have had a BAD track record. I am hoping this is the game they turn it around on. Otherwise, me and the kiddo will have to wait for Division 2.
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Is the concurrent player cap gonna be increased in the future, or is it 16 max and that's it?
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    edited January 2019

Poor AI

Bulletsponge enemies

Connectivity issues

I wanted this to be good SO BAD, and I am still gonna download the open demo next week before I decide for myself and my son whether to preorder or not.....but I gotta be real. This is EA and Bioware, and lately they have had a BAD track record. I am hoping this is the game they turn it around on. Otherwise, me and the kiddo will have to wait for Division 2.
    I have never played a BW game and think this is a great game engine.

THey make good RPG's.

Once games became a lot more technical, their games either became small instances with corridors, or large games with some kind of issue with their game that it feels clunky.

The strange thing is how this is a consistent problem with BW considering they are part of EA, since EA should only use the RPG elements of BW and use some other studio to make the actual game.

But in the end, 'story' can only be so great before its just another RPG.

Things that make any great game have good story is the 1. the IP, and 2. the atmosphere. Sci fi underworld etc

and having an actual good script, well, only a few games do that, and even BW is not all great scripts, line for line.

BW is over rated, and its unfortunate for EA that as a gaming company are giving a lot of resources and only getting so much in return.

ANd an example of EA helping BW is by giving them the frost bite engine to make the game. Thats a good engine.

Before BW did not have access to such a good engine.

THe only bad thing EA has done is the micro transaction, other than that, they do make good games and seem to give a lot of liberty to their developers and allow them to waste their money.

An example of a good game with the frost bite engine is SW batte front. That game looks amazing and runs smoothly as well. And its multi platofrm as well. I think some BW devs went into SW BF II, and I was concerned when i heard that even tho it was towards the end of BW BF II development.

Bw is an old company as well, so they ,I really believe, lack the technical expertise and dont care for it as well, to make a smooth as butter game, but focus more on 'RPG'.
    [Deleted User]ookibakaalkarionlogMrMelGibson

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• SplitStream13SplitStream13 Member UncommonPosts: 250
    edited January 2019
    Dick1232 said:
    Warlyx said:
    LOL, or one of the best games of the year. Your comp can t run it? That's what I thought

I'm running a Ryzen 7 2700X and I saw some of the streamers running a RTX 2080 ( (Seagull for one) ) were struggling with this game, dipping below 60fps @ 1440p. There's clearly a lot of work to be done with this game and there's absolutely no reason to mock people. If this game turns into the new multiplayer Crisis it will flop. 

Most people complain about bulletsponge NPCs but that's just how the genre is, I don't know what people actually expected?!?!? Like what ... you wanted to flex your ultra awesome mechanical aim and 1-shot elite bosses? Get outta here bro. You can't hit a headshot if your life depended on it anyway. Other than that, there's whole list of good games that have bullet sponges. Warframe, Destiny 1 & 2, The Division 1 &2. Hell, even Monster Hunter World is like that tho it's fantasy  based and you don't shoot your guns. 

Don't blame a game because of its genre. It's a looter shooter, and it's closer to Diablo than it is to counter-strike. 

Connectivity issues? Name one MMOG that didn't have connectivity issues on day one. I'll wait. Even experienced MMORPG developers like Blizzard have login/connectivity issues after a decade in the business with 10 expansions behind their back. 
  • SplitStream13SplitStream13 Member UncommonPosts: 250
    edited January 2019
    ANd an example of EA helping BW is by giving them the frost bite engine to make the game. Thats a good engine.
    I honestly don't know how you can call some engine a good one when it's only developed for one type of game and does not support 3rd person camera animations (or at least didn't use to, i'll iterate further) nor decent facial expression animations. 

You say it's a gift, I say it's EA's "all on one engine" bullshit when it's only developed for their battlefield games. If Mass Effect Andromeda is any indication, this engine has some serious issues. They needed the Need for Speed guys too to bake in some physics for the MAKO in that game. 

The shortfalls of ME:A are solely into Frostbite and how much time they lost trying to make the darn shit work. They didn't have time to do anything else and as a result the story was lackluster. 

Great combat and visuals , but I'll refrain from calling it a good engine until they have more successful games under their belt that are not  first person shooters (basically reskins of Battlefield) 

At this point in time Unreal Engine is just the supreme kid. It has everything under its belt, indy titles, 3rd person shooters, carousels, first person shooters, MMORPGs, tower defenses, mobile games, you fucking name it. That shit is good. Frostbite, honestly, at this moment in time, I'm unsure, given that in Anthem it runs like ass on high-end hardware.
    SlyLoK
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

Galadourn said:

Is the concurrent player cap gonna be increased in the future, or is it 16 max and that's it?

I don't think they even know the answer at this point. Hopefully it will be more then just a room to stare at others Javelins.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Alverant said:

Arterius said:

I really think you're not taking into consideration the marketing costs. Most AAA games marketing campaign costs as much if not more than the game development. That isn't something they can neglect and hope to sell based off word of mouth. Especially with The Division 2 around the corner.
    Torval said:
    It's alright. Better than the haters say, definitely not as good as the fanboys claim either. It's not boring, just unremarkable. If we buy it then we'll probably wait for a sale.
    That's definitely a fair assessment. For me personally, I have been looking for a fun co-op that reminds me of the fun I had with Left 4 Dead 1 & 2. I just want something I can jump in and have some fun from time to time. If it turns out I get sick of it in a couple months. I'll still have Division 2 to fill the gap.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    You guys are ruining my buzz whilst I wait for 9 more hours...
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Poor AI

Bulletsponge enemies

Connectivity issues

I have never played a BW game and think this is a great game engine.

THey make good RPG's.

Once games became a lot more technical, their games either became small instances with corridors, or large games with some kind of issue with their game that it feels clunky.

The strange thing is how this is a consistent problem with BW considering they are part of EA, since EA should only use the RPG elements of BW and use some other studio to make the actual game.

But in the end, 'story' can only be so great before its just another RPG.

Things that make any great game have good story is the 1. the IP, and 2. the atmosphere. Sci fi underworld etc

and having an actual good script, well, only a few games do that, and even BW is not all great scripts, line for line.

BW is over rated, and its unfortunate for EA that as a gaming company are giving a lot of resources and only getting so much in return.

Before BW did not have access to such a good engine.

THe only bad thing EA has done is the micro transaction, other than that, they do make good games and seem to give a lot of liberty to their developers and allow them to waste their money.

An example of a good game with the frost bite engine is SW batte front. That game looks amazing and runs smoothly as well. And its multi platofrm as well. I think some BW devs went into SW BF II, and I was concerned when i heard that even tho it was towards the end of BW BF II development.

Bw is an old company as well, so they ,I really believe, lack the technical expertise and dont care for it as well, to make a smooth as butter game, but focus more on 'RPG'.
    So you've never played a BW game but you're also an expert on BW games? Where do you people come from lol?