Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Court documents reveal Facebook targeting children for whale spending.

anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

So essentially Facebook bosses refused to implement multiple recomendations by both their own portal developers, and their game developer clients.   In order to keep the faucets open to over spending by kids.

With internal communications revealing that upper bosses did math to figure out it was more profitable to have absurdly large chargeback rates.   Along with purposefully having a buggy billing system (in article mostly about missing receipts), and purposefully terrible customer support so that using Facebook's own channels were impossible to use.

Along with all levels of Facebook knowing of this, AND further encouraging their 3rd party game developers to make it easy for kids to spend.

Also has a really cute Facebook Internal name known as "Friendly Fraud".

So I'm sure quite a few here are going to be amused seeing both Social Media AND Free to Play  getting bashed about.   I know I am.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

ScotGdemamiPhryRenoakuOctagon7711Scotty787KlikaeUngood

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Always fascinating to see how different news outlets report events, lol

Sometimes the spin is so intense that you're left wondering if they're even reporting on the same event !

For instance, in the BBC's version of this story, FaceBook launched an internal investigation when the maker of Angry Birds complained about a high level of chargebacks.
    They identified the source of the problem: Unauthorised in-app purchases by minors !
    Facebook's programmers then offered a few suggestions to management, which would have significantly reduced the chance of those purchases occurring...

HOWEVER, Facebook's management declined to act, because "it would negatively affect revenue" !

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-46998055

In our wonderful modern world, you can even select your own version of the "truth", lol
    anemoScotk61977PhryTillerOctagon7711Palebane
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    The idea that businesses are unable to ethically regulate themselves when potential profit is involved shouldn't be surprising to anyone.

What should be is the amazing number of people who think allowing businesses to shirk ethics so freely is the best status quo.
    MendelAsm0deuscraftseekerGdemamiOctagon7711aummoidTsiyaPalebane

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    You're right it is interesting.   Though the article I offered seems to have dug deeper into the released documents than BBC.
    Gdemami

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Scummy. But not unexpected.
    Thankfully Facebook is not getting a dime from me :D
    GdemamiTsiya

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

anemo said:
    You're right it is interesting.   Though the article I offered seems to have dug deeper into the released documents than BBC.
    After reading both articles in full, I'm left with the following thought:

"Most of the ordinary employees at <Company X*> are good and responsible people, but management has sold it's soul and only cares about KPI's, performance bonuses and stock options"

*For <Company X>, substitute the name of any Fortune 500 business...
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    The idea that businesses are unable to ethically regulate themselves when potential profit is involved shouldn't be surprising to anyone.

What should be is the amazing number of people who think allowing businesses to shirk ethics so freely is the best status quo.
    It's not terribly surprising that Facebook would do this.  Facebook is notorious for mistreating everyone they do business with.

But it would be shocking for most other businesses.  Most businesses shy away from business practices that will lead to an unusually high chargeback rate.  Indeed, it wouldn't be an unusually high chargeback rate if everyone did it.

Most prominent businesses also have a reputation to protect.  Not all; Facebook is hardly the only business in the world that just wants to make money today and doesn't particularly care about their reputation.  But you know that that's what you're getting if you do business with them.

And that's why I'm not really that sympathetic to the people who had to go through the fuss of doing a chargeback.  They knew that they were dealing with Facebook.  What did they think was going to happen?  At some point, declining to deal with particular companies that you know are scum has to be at least part of the solution.

You didn't quite call for more government regulation to address situations like this.  But when such regulations happen, sometimes the effect is to tack on a bunch of compliance costs for the honest businesses.  In the worst cases, the offenders that the regulations are nominally designed to constrain find loopholes or just ignore them.

From a regulatory perspective, the first thing to do is to check if this is a violation of regulations that are already on the books.  If so, then you might be able to hammer Facebook over it without needing to create more.  If not, then the question becomes whether you can narrowly target something to stop Facebook doing this without penalizing the many businesses that aren't pushing credit card fraud.
    MendelPhaserlightGdemami
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I wonder how many businesses actually value ethics as highly as they value profits.  When does consumer protection have to stand aside to allow a business' bottom line to grab the front seats?  The parallels to Selma are alarming.

The world has changed.  I want off.

GdemamiTsiya

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:
    I wonder how many businesses actually value ethics as highly as they value profits.  When does consumer protection have to stand aside to allow a business' bottom line to grab the front seats?  The parallels to Selma are alarming.

The world hasn't really changed much at all, lol

It's just that modern media has given the "common man" a slightly clearer glimpse of what the people at the top get up to.
    SBFordcmacqGrunt350KylerancraftseekerGdemamiOctagon7711KlikaePalebane
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Facebook execs don't want their own kids using Facebook. That's pretty telling.
    KyleranPhryOctagon7711Klikae
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Mendel said:

Quite a few do.  Even after you filter out the ones that simply want to look like they value ethics.  It's called corporate social responsibility.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• cochscochs Member UncommonPosts: 92
    My first company was an online payment processor back when there were only a handful of them.  

Banks are fully aware that companies like Facebook who essentially process on behalf of many companies, can hide super high chargeback rates that come from specific companies.  And they allow much higher overall chargeback rates because the volume is so high.

The merchant side of card processing has always been a bit shady.  One of my clients that I dumped because me and my partners just thought the guy was shady and we didn't even know about his background (google ken taves), later went on to commit what was at the time the largest credit card fraud in history.   The banks were giving him their databases of known good customers, supposedly as a 'white list' to filter against.  Which this guy then took and just charged the entire list and stashed the money off shore. 

Another time I heard from people that know about a company that got to a 45% chargeback rate before being shut down by the bank. 

They way credit cards work the banks that process transactions simply don't care about the consumer.  And the laws that are in place don't help, these guys get away with completely unethical practices every day.
    PhryGdemamiTsiya
    edited January 2019
    Quizzical said:

It's not terribly surprising that Facebook would do this.  Facebook is notorious for mistreating everyone they do business with.

But it would be shocking for most other businesses.  Most businesses shy away from business practices that will lead to an unusually high chargeback rate.  Indeed, it wouldn't be an unusually high chargeback rate if everyone did it.

Most prominent businesses also have a reputation to protect.  Not all; Facebook is hardly the only business in the world that just wants to make money today and doesn't particularly care about their reputation.  But you know that that's what you're getting if you do business with them.

And that's why I'm not really that sympathetic to the people who had to go through the fuss of doing a chargeback.  They knew that they were dealing with Facebook.  What did they think was going to happen?  At some point, declining to deal with particular companies that you know are scum has to be at least part of the solution.

You didn't quite call for more government regulation to address situations like this.  But when such regulations happen, sometimes the effect is to tack on a bunch of compliance costs for the honest businesses.  In the worst cases, the offenders that the regulations are nominally designed to constrain find loopholes or just ignore them.

From a regulatory perspective, the first thing to do is to check if this is a violation of regulations that are already on the books.  If so, then you might be able to hammer Facebook over it without needing to create more.  If not, then the question becomes whether you can narrowly target something to stop Facebook doing this without penalizing the many businesses that aren't pushing credit card fraud.
    The fact that it isn't terribly surprising is a symptom of the corporate-owned society we live in in the first place, and its one that should be alarming.  Just based on my personal experiences, businesses seemingly reach a point where their growth turns them into behemoths that cannot be allowed to fail anymore.  As soon as that happens, society is very literally maintaining a situation in which businesses will quite literally skirt or ignore the rule of law when it doesn't suit them without much in the way of fearing anything.  What's the worst that could happen?  You fire a few management-level employees, release a statement implying those folks were the root cause (and not the nature or power of the corporation itself), then go about doing business as usual in a new but (many times) equally ethically dubious way.

That was the point of my post.  This resigned acceptance is a sign of just how conditioned we are to the idea that big business will do what it wants, how it wants, most of the time, and the consumer is pretty powerless to affect that.  In countries where they're allowed to lobby politicians, you will never find a consumer group able to coordinate and lobby at the same level.  That's due to the very inequitable nature of the two parties' positions and member composition.  Very, very, very few governmental bodies are willing to address that inequity to the degree it truly exists.
    QuizzicalPhaserlight

edited January 2019
    Mendel said:

Quite a few do.  Even after you filter out the ones that simply want to look like they value ethics.  It's called corporate social responsibility.
    I would argue that quite a few believe they do, while ignoring, rationalizing, or downplaying negative effects of their actions.

Everyone wants to believe they're good people, even if their actions result in harm to others.  The bomb-jacket-wearing martyr doesn't believe himself to be a mere mass murderer; he believes himself to be serving a greater good.

The insurance company doesn't believe itself responsible for jeopardizing patient care due to overly obstinate process, instead pointing to other factors that are marginally related or outside of their control as being the real reason the patient's care is truly jeopardized, and using that to justify not improving or changing the process.
    Gdemami

Mendel said:

It isn't always an either/or choice between profits and ethics.  A lot of companies make good money by providing goods or services that work properly and at a competitive price.  If they can make you happy with what they've provided, then you're likely to buy again from them in the future and/or recommend that others do so.

A lot of companies try to make money off of repeat business or positive, legitimate word of mouth like that.  A company that tries very hard to consistently provide the goods, services, or payments that they've promised to their customers, employees, suppliers, and investors is being ethical.  There's a lot of money to be made in a lot of industries if you can do that efficiently enough.

And there are also some companies that have figured out that you can make a lot of money for a while by mistreating everyone you do business with.  In some cases, it's because they cater to customers who don't care if they're mistreated; that's definitely Facebook's model.  If you don't like that, then don't do business with companies like that.  If you can help for it to be profitable for companies to provide good products at good prices, then that's what the world will have more of.

To move to PC gaming, it seems like most of the time that a big developer or publisher does something outrageous, Electronic Arts is the culprit.  If a similar scandal in which a major MMO publisher was making a bunch of arguably fraudulent charges on people's credit cards, it wouldn't be that surprising if EA were the culprit.  It would be shocking if Blizzard, Square-Enix, or a lot of other major companies were.  A lot of other vendors have a reputation to defend.

What you can and should do about it is to do business with companies that behave as they ought to and not with those that don't.  I don't mean that every purchasing decision should be driven primarily by ethics.  I do mean to avoid the handful severe, repeat offenders.  Don't blame an entire industry for the misdeeds of one company in it.
    Scot
    Mendel said:

By usage, "corporate social responsibility" is sometimes used to mean advocating politically correct ideas or donating money to politically correct causes.  To the extent that that is even related to ethics, it's actually bad ethics, as it's squandering resources that you're supposed to be handling on behalf of investors by putting them instead in the service of a political agenda.

Corporate ethics should be about treating properly everyone that the corporation does business with, including delivering what you've proposed.  This includes but is not necessarily limited to:
    1)  provide customers with good products at good prices
    2)  provide employees with good wages and a good working environment
    3)  provide suppliers with your payments in a timely manner
    4)  provide investors with a good return on their money

As soon as you inject other, unrelated things into the banner of "ethics", it starts to crowd out the central things.
    ScotPhryPhaserlight
    The fact that it isn't terribly surprising is a symptom of the corporate-owned society we live in in the first place, and its one that should be alarming.  Just based on my personal experiences, businesses seemingly reach a point where their growth turns them into behemoths that cannot be allowed to fail anymore.  As soon as that happens, society is very literally maintaining a situation in which businesses will quite literally skirt or ignore the rule of law when it doesn't suit them without much in the way of fearing anything.  What's the worst that could happen?  You fire a few management-level employees, release a statement implying those folks were the root cause (and not the nature or power of the corporation itself), then go about doing business as usual in a new but (many times) equally ethically dubious way.

That was the point of my post.  This resigned acceptance is a sign of just how conditioned we are to the idea that big business will do what it wants, how it wants, most of the time, and the consumer is pretty powerless to affect that.  In countries where they're allowed to lobby politicians, you will never find a consumer group able to coordinate and lobby at the same level.  That's due to the very inequitable nature of the two parties' positions and member composition.  Very, very, very few governmental bodies are willing to address that inequity to the degree it truly exists.
    It sounds like I misunderstood your point earlier.  Thanks for clarifying it.

Absolutely, companies being regarded as "too big to fail" is a huge problem.  When a company figures out how to survive by maintaining a good reputation with politicians but not customers, we've got a huge problem.  The underlying problem is when politicians or bureaucrats decide which companies are successful and insulate them from market pressures.

But it's not a universal problem, and there have been plenty of enormous companies that did fail.
    MadFrenchie
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Businesses found out long ago that it is cheaper and more profitable for them to cheat and take advantage of people and pay a fine at some point than it is for them to play by the rules. Not only that but very very rarely does anyone go to jail over it. So it continues.
    Gdemami
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    When I was working on my MBA, one of the first classes I took was a business ethics course.  For one of our first papers we were asked to write what our version of an ethical business would look like.

Somewhere in my conclusion I wrote "When the investors, shareholders and, most importantly the customers, find out about any decision you make, will they think it's unethical?  Notice that I didn't' say "if".  You have to act as if every phone is bugged.  Every computer is hacked and every meeting is recorded.  If you act in that manner, and always ask yourself "What happens when", then you will never find your name rightfully being slandered in front of the world."

The problem with some of these tech and social media companies, is that they are run by people who were catapulted into sudden and swift success before they had a chance to learn any of this.  They're so young and so hungry to hang onto success that they don't stop to ask "What happens when..." often enough.

"What happens when our users find out that we knowingly allowed their kids to make purchases without blocking them, informing their parents immediately or taking any kind of active precautions?"  That simple question, if asked, should have put a lump Zuckertards throat as soon as he asked it, but he didn't.  Either that or he's a sociopath... and the Jury's still out on that.
    PhaserlightGdemamiTsiya
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
      Sorry man , the parents involved are just as culpable , you should know exactly where and when your CC is being used , there lack of financial responsibility led to this .. Not Facebook or the Kids
    KyleranScotPhryGdemami
    H0urg1ass said:
    The problem with some of these tech and social media companies, is that they are run by people who were catapulted into sudden and swift success before they had a chance to learn any of this.  They're so young and so hungry to hang onto success that they don't stop to ask "What happens when..." often enough.
    I disagree.  Rarely is it a problem that people do what is wrong because they cannot tell that it is wrong.  Usually the problem is that people know right and wrong and choose to do what is wrong anyway.
    Kyleran
    Scorchien said:
      Sorry man , the parents involved are just as culpable , you should know exactly where and when your CC is being used , there lack of financial responsibility led to this .. Not Facebook or the Kids
    If you think that you're putting your credit card into the system for a single $10 charge, and don't realize that it is still in the system and getting charged a bunch of times when neither the parents nor the children realize it, that's not a problem of negligent parents.

When I buy something online, there's generally a final confirmation that makes it abundantly clear that this will cost you exactly this much money to buy such and such.  Are you sure you want to proceed?  That's commonly the case even for microtransactions in games where you're spending the in-game currency that you've already paid real money for.  Sometimes it's even true of spending in-game currency that is acquired by playing the game, not by paying real-life money.

The news reports say that Facebook didn't do that, but had a system that allowed charging a credit card when people didn't realize that they were being charged.  I'm not sure that fraud is the right word, but it's certainly the sort of thing that a reputable company wouldn't do, at least apart from a brief bug that they fix as quickly as they possibly can.
    GdemamiTsiya
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Forgrimm said:
    After reading this article I think it's time I delete my Facebook account.
    ScotForgrimm

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited January 2019
    Kyleran said:
    Forgrimm said:
    After reading this article I think it's time I delete my Facebook account.
    I'm thinking of doing the same.  Not because of this article..  But because I'm becoming more and more convinced that social media is not the boon to societal interconnectedness so many assumed it would be when it exploded.
    PhryForgrimmGdemami

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Scorchien said:
    As noted in the article, often parents thought they were making one time purchases for their children and didnt realize (and likely did little to make it clear) their CC numbers were being "remembered."

If a person isn't really saavy with how MMO subs work they might not understand what they got into.

A friend of mine who is not a computer illiterate ran into such an issue until she caught on to this sort of practice. Fortunately she didn't lose much before stopping it.

The mobile game industry is rife with this sort of thing and the practice is predatory at best, criminal at worst.

They didn't self name it as "friendly fraud" for no reason.

Gdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited January 2019
    Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:
    As noted in the article, often parents thought they were making one time purchases for their children and didnt realize (and likely did little to make it clear) their CC numbers were being "remembered."

If a person isn't really saavy with how MMO subs work they might not understand what they got into.

A friend of mine who is not a computer illiterate ran into such an issue until she caught on to this sort of practice. Fortunately she didn't lose much before stopping it.

The mobile game industry is rife with this sort of thing and the practice is predatory at best, criminal at worst.

They didn't self name it as "friendly fraud" for no reason.

i read it .. and sorry .. you need to check those things .. Its common sense ..

If you enter your CC info ANYWHERE , you need to follow up and make sure its not accesible ..

And il add if it went on for more than 1 month and you were not checking the charges on your Bill.. well Forrest ....  you know the rest ... 

no sympathy ...

One bit of advice i can offer i keep 1 CC with a very low limit .. its 250$ .. its for all game subs etc .. .. that way even if something gets past you .. the damage is not bad ..
    PhryGdemamiPhaserlight