Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Apparently the game chokes on 1920x1080 on mid-range GPUs

QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
edited January 2019 in Anthem
https://gamingbolt.com/anthem-wont-run-at-1080p-60-fps-on-ps4-pro-xbox-one-x-bioware

The Xbox One X version apparently can't do 60 frames per second at 1920x1080.  That's a game console, but the nearest comparable to its GPU is perhaps a Radeon RX 580.  Console versions are supposedly better optimized, too, since you can optimize for the exact hardware.  If mid-range GPUs like a Radeon RX 580 or GeForce GTX 1060 can't handle the game, then I don't see a big market for a PC version.
MadFrenchie

Comments

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    4k at 30fps which is pretty normal for the one x. 

Sounds like someone just read the headline and nothing else.
    [Deleted User]
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    SlyLoK said:

If they give you a choice of 30 frames per second at 3840x2160 or 60 frames per second at 1920x1080, fine.  But to not even offer the latter?

If you're interested in the PC version, you'd better hope that it's optimized a whole lot better than the console one.
    [Deleted User]AlmostLancelot
  • XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Quizzical said:
    SlyLoK said:

If they give you a choice of 30 frames per second at 3840x2160 or 60 frames per second at 1920x1080, fine.  But to not even offer the latter?

If you're interested in the PC version, you'd better hope that it's optimized a whole lot better than the console one.
    What you fail to understand is that frame rate target is far more tied to the CPU than the GPU for consoles. While the GPUs on consoles are midrange, the CPUs are super cheap laptop APUs. That's why so many open world games are fixed to 30fps.

Mikeha

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Not being able to hit 60fps at 1080p for a game that's not an MMO is kinda WTF territory.  Did Frostbite 4 break or something?
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    XAleX360 said:
    Quizzical said:
    SlyLoK said:

What you fail to understand is that frame rate target is far more tied to the CPU than the GPU for consoles. While the GPUs on consoles are midrange, the CPUs are super cheap laptop APUs. That's why so many open world games are fixed to 30fps.
    Very few CPU dies are designed around desktops anymore.  They're nearly all primarily either laptop or server chips.  Thuban (Phenom II X6) was the last pure desktop die, though you could make a strong case that the 6- and 8-core dies of Coffee Lake and its refresh are primarily for desktops and only secondarily for laptops or servers.

As to your point, yes, the CPU cores are very weak, but that's why there are eight of them.  If that's not enough cumulative CPU power, then dual cores or weaker quad cores (Bulldozer and its derivatives) are going to choke, and they're still not going to have a great market for the PC version.  If they've managed to create a single-threaded bottleneck where there shouldn't be one (Vulkan and DirectX 12 eliminate the rendering thread problem, and I'd assume that the Xbox One X has something analogous), then they've botched the game engine, which is also going to cause all sorts of problems.
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    Happen to know what engine they were building Anthem on as a baseline?
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited January 2019
    I guess I'm passing on this game now. I don't care about 4K unless the hardware is powerful enough to run it at 60FPS.

My 3-4 year old 1080p TV is still like new and i am not buying a PS4 Pro/Xbox One X to play games at 30FPS. My day one PS4 does that already. Not upgrading my PC anytime soon either so that version is out of the question for me for a bunch of upcoming games.

It's unbelievable how in 2019 they still prefer to try and sell eye candy over gameplay and performance.
    Gdemami

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    they're probably banking on filthy casuals such as myself who doesn't even notice the difference and aren't even entirely sure what you guys are talking about :pensive:

SovrathKyleranRidelynnReaperUk

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    and here I was thinking the 30 fps on a console was the norm
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    1060 will run it fine at 1080p
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Crysis couldn’t run well on then-current hardware. Same with Quake.

Sometimes a game is good enough it will drive hardware.

EQ2 couldn’t run well either. Sometimes the game isn’t good enough to drive hardware.
  • comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Frankly I doubt many will care. If it's runs at 30fps 4k that's fine for 95% of the gaming population .
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    comerb said:
    Frankly I doubt many will care. If it's runs at 30fps 4k that's fine for 95% of the gaming population .
    95% eh? Of people at 4k running 60hz-120hz  who have other games that run much better at 1080p. Interesting... and by interesting I mean WTF?
    comerbGdemami
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944
    edited January 2019
    You are making the common mistake of thinking you are representative of the average gamer. 95% of gamers don't give two shits if a game is running at 60fps or 30fps as long as it's framerate is stable and the graphics are nice .
    Gdemami
    edited February 2019
    Game settings could definitely be set up high enough to choke my 980 @4k, but once I got into the settings, even at the lowest settings the game looked very good, and I was able to find settings that were somewhere inbetween that ran well at 4k on my hardware.

The biggest strikes against this game on PC is ... first off it's a Console port, and it commits all the typical console port UI sins.

Second.. loading screens. OMG the loading, even on an SSD, is horrible.
    Octagon7711
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    My full 6gb 1060 handles it just fine. 
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    I guess I'm passing on this game now. I don't care about 4K unless the hardware is powerful enough to run it at 60FPS.

My 3-4 year old 1080p TV is still like new and i am not buying a PS4 Pro/Xbox One X to play games at 30FPS. My day one PS4 does that already. Not upgrading my PC anytime soon either so that version is out of the question for me for a bunch of upcoming games.

It's unbelievable how in 2019 they still prefer to try and sell eye candy over gameplay and performance.
    If you can try the demo that will give you a pretty good first hand idea of how it runs on your system.
  • ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    edited February 2019
    I'm playing on a new & clean rig with i5 8400 &  GTX 1070 16GB Ram
    and i get around 45-60ish fps with all Ultra maxed at 1920x1080p

ANTHEM looks spectacular!
    Post edited by Zzad on
    MrMelGibson
    edited February 2019
    I tried this out on a PS4 Pro today - graphics probably looked just a bit better than what I was able to tweak out on my PC. Game played smoothly throughout, I never noticed any significant slowdowns, even in some pretty action-intense areas. No idea what resolution or framerate it was running at (on OLED 4K 55"), but it looked good to my pedestrian eyes.

HDR was a bit washed out looking though.

Loading screens did take longer, but game startup and getting into the game was much faster.

Also, interesting to note: the same mission dialog was broken on both, bugs with mission pickup items and stuck missions existed on both, and the loot on the PS4 tended to be higher quality...
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Hell I couldn't even get the sound to stay on, but guess that was just me.  Would cut off after a few mins.  Did it multiple times and didn't' come back unless I closed out the game and opened it again. 

Didn't notice many problems with framerate myself though, but I am running it on a high end rig.  The gameplay itself was just ok, nothing special in reality.  Should be a decent time filler for some, just not me. 

Been reading a lot about performance issues and this one is going to be funny as hell to watch explode for all the people with mid range systems complaining at launch. 

It requires both a good/newer CPU and GPU not one or the other to run at optimally.