Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Samsung 970 EVO Plus V-NAND SSD: Storage Evolved - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageSamsung 970 EVO Plus V-NAND SSD: Storage Evolved - MMORPG.com

As an industry leader in everything from phones to fridges, Samsung creates some truly remarkable products. So, when this master of memory modules approached us about reviewing the newest incarnation of their V-NAND SSDs, how could we say no?

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I don't know what this is, but I want one.
    Gyva02

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,499
    Informative article, thanks. However, it would benefit greatly from an editor prior to posting. (or at least a second set of eyes)
    CaptFabulous
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    edited January 2019
    Been wanting to pick one of these up for a while. I really want the 2TB version, but need it to come down in price a bit. Friend of mine said the 4TB versions should be out soon, so hopefully that will drop the price.
    Post edited by mcrippins on
  • Panserbjorne39Panserbjorne39 Member UncommonPosts: 142
    edited January 2019

mcrippins said:

Been wanting to pick one of these up for a while. I really want the 2GB version, but need it to come down in price a bit. Friend of mine said the 4GB versions should be out soon, so hopefully that will drop the price.

I think you mean TB? Anyway, I've got a Crucial 500 GB M.2 NVME PCI-E 3.0x4 for my boot drive and some other apps like MSI Afterburner. It's lightning fast. The Crucial is always less expensive then the Samsung. Mine was $80 USD.
    I really love that it requires no cables and plugs right into the Mobo. You need to make sure your Mobo has a high speed M.2 slot if the correct length on it before purchase. If you've already got a standard NAND SATA SSD there is really no point in wasting money to "upgrade" unless you do a lot of storage reading and writing intensive work. Better to just wait until your SSD actually is at the end of its life and needs replacing. WINiNFO64 can tell you that data.
    For us as gamers, unnecessary unless you're starting a new build from scratch like I just did, then you'd get one of these.
    [Deleted User]
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Thanks for the correction. (I'm tired). Yeah I've had a 500GB for a while, and with games being so large these days, I constantly find myself having to uninstall some games for others. I'd rather not have to worry about it as much. So a 2TB should do nicely for a while.
  • Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    edited January 2019
    I'm with Amathe I don't quite know what this is. Is it a Hard Drive or does it just speed up some elements of your machine?
  • DarkEvilHatredDarkEvilHatred Member UncommonPosts: 229

Gyva02 said:

I'm with Amathe I don't quite know what this is. Is it a Hard Drive or does it just speed up some elements of your machine?

It's a hard drive, kind of like a Solid State but even faster. Your motherboard needs to have an m.2 slot on it to use one or you would need a PCI-E adapter. Not sure if using an adapter would make it run slower or not though...

Bob's Onsite Computer Repair
    Cincinnati, OH
    Gyva02
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Amathe said:
    I don't know what this is, but I want one.
    If you don't already have an SSD, then yes, you need one.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Gyva02 said:
    An SSD is kind of like a hard drive, but based on NAND flash rather than spinning platters.  In order to read anything from a hard drive, you have to wait for the hard drive to physically spin to the right spot, which takes on the order of 10 ms.  In order to read from an SSD, you don't have to wait for any mechanical parts to move, but can start reading almost immediately, so you get your data in about 0.1 ms.

Waiting 10 ms on a hard drive might seem fast, but it's not fast if you need to load hundreds of small things at once.  Load hundreds of small things at once from an SSD and it's still very fast.  An SSD can often save seconds or even tens of seconds when booting your computer, loading a game, or even zoning within a game. Perhaps more importantly, it saves a fraction of a second here and there, making it seem like your computer does something when it ought to, rather than sometime later.

SSDs are also more durable than hard drives, as well as quieter and lower power.  The only downside is that they're more expensive in terms of $/GB, but now that you can get a 500 GB SSD for well under $100, why not?  The move from hard drives to SSDs is the single most important advance in desktop or laptop technology of the last decade.

The price tag is why hard drives aren't going away just yet; they still make fine backup devices, or storage for bulk data like if you have a bunch of videos.  But you don't want to run real programs off of a hard drive if you don't have to, as that's going to be slow.

Do you need the particular SSD in the review as opposed to some other SSD?  No.  The difference between even a relatively slow SATA SSD and the top of the line M.2 over PCI-E 3.0 x4 (or perhaps Optane, which is a different technology yet, but for most purposes, basically an SSD) isn't that important.  But the difference between that relatively slow SATA SSD and the fastest hard drive ever made is enormous.  If you're running everything off of hard drives, then your computer is slow, no matter what processor, video card, or memory you have.