Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire to Receive Turn-Based Combat in Thursday's Update - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imagePillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire to Receive Turn-Based Combat in Thursday's Update - MMORPG.com

Obsidian Entertainment has revealed that a new way to play Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire is coming on Thursday, January 24th with the next update. Once the patch is deployed, players starting a new PoE2 playthrough will be able to do so using a turn-based combat system. This allows players to choose between turn-based or real-time with pause modes, though the TBS mode will be considered "beta".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Nice, i love turn based RPGs. They didn't have to do this yet they did. Respect.
    PalebaneScottJeslisRoinSabracOctagon7711TokkenwingoodYashaXTacticalZombeh

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    its a way to make the game easier I guess, though after I killed that huge borrowbug with a lvl 6 party, taht certainly would make the whole fight a lot easier
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • ScottJeslisScottJeslis Member UncommonPosts: 355
    Yaaaa. Glad I hadn't started this yet LOL.
  • epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394
    Changes things for me, honestly. Pause is kind of annoying, honestly it feels like cheating to me. Having an actual turn based system is very cool - as much as I liked Baulder's Gate back in the day, it just doesn't suit the way I like to play in 2019.
    [Deleted User]
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Torval said:
    its a way to make the game easier I guess, though after I killed that huge borrowbug with a lvl 6 party, taht certainly would make the whole fight a lot easier
    Doesn't it have pause like PoE1 does? That's essentially the same thing, if not easier. With turn-based combat your choices are locked in. Using Real-Time with Pause lets you adjust for any situation. If you see a caster begin or melee move to close ranks, you can adjust. It's only challenging when real time systems only have time-slowing mechanisms without a pause function.

In my opinion this series should have been turn-based as a default from the beginning. It's good they added it.
    I would've disliked default turn-based combat, but completely agree it's awesome they added it.

Obsidian proves themselves dedicated to their fans once again.  They and Larian are pretty good examples of studios that still seem "in it" for the passion as much as the dough.
    SabracTacticalZombeh

• ElthiumElthium Member UncommonPosts: 88
    Hallelujah! I managed to play a third of my way through before uninstalling mainly due to their combat. I really enjoyed DOS2 turned based combat so it's time to reinstall and have another go at the game.

Thanks Devs!
    Ozmodan
  • SabracSabrac Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Amazing news, time for another playthrough!.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    pillas going divinity way ? :O cool , now add action rpg :P
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    awesome, can't wait!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• truewarlordtruewarlord Member UncommonPosts: 78
    I wish Pathfinder Kingmaker was turn based too, last day I was looking for mods (one can dream) for this purpose, I can't stand this pause and play style anymore. NWN 2 was the last I tried and it is not the same thing for me.

In turn-based style everyone act in his own turn, you can be very tactical and precise.

In real time everyone moves together, AI is terrible and most of the time you need to "fix" whatever they're doing.

I don't like it, turn-based sounds better for this kind of games to me. If I want action, I want to move my character in the very best possible way, not babysitting a bad AI and fixing wrong positions through pause and play every time.
    MightyUnclean
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    I wish Pathfinder Kingmaker was turn based too, last day I was looking for mods (one can dream) for this purpose, I can't stand this pause and play style anymore. NWN 2 was the last I tried and it is not the same thing for me.

In turn-based style everyone act in his own turn, you can be very tactical and precise.

In real time everyone moves together, AI is terrible and most of the time you need to "fix" whatever they're doing.

I don't like it, turn-based sounds better for this kind of games to me. If I want action, I want to move my character in the very best possible way, not babysitting a bad AI and fixing wrong positions through pause and play every time.
    I agree.  Every time I play a real-time RPG with pausing, I feel like I'm just constantly correcting my party's mistakes.  I find it very annoying and frustrating.  Hey, I want to be the one making the mistakes!  =)
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505

I agree.  Every time I play a real-time RPG with pausing, I feel like I'm just constantly correcting my party's mistakes.  I find it very annoying and frustrating.  Hey, I want to be the one making the mistakes!  =)
    The greatest thing about Pillars is that you can literally fine-tune your companions' combat responses.  It's a glorious thing watching your AI companions fulfill their roles effectively without having to select every single one and give orders every few seconds.

Being able to largely just play my created character as a part of the group is amazing for immersion (for me).

• bigcheeseukbigcheeseuk Member UncommonPosts: 133
    I very much enojoyed the turn based gameplay of Temple of Elemental Evil, I hope it's like that.