Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bethesda Squashes Rumors that Fallout 76 is Going Free to Play - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageBethesda Squashes Rumors that Fallout 76 is Going Free to Play - MMORPG.com

Bethesda has taken the rare step of debunking today's Fallout 76 rumor that it would be going free to play. The rumor stemmed from copies of the game reportedly being pulled from brick-and-mortar stores. This led some Redditors to opine that Fallout 76 would soon be going free to play. However, Bethesda, in response to a Twitter user demanding a refund if the rumors are true, simply said, "There is no truth to this rumor."

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    They also said that Fallout 76 would be the Fallout experience you've always known and loved just with friends added. They are liars, plain and simple. Nothing they say should be taken at face value, they have burned that privilege. I just hope they take some major steps to earn back some credibility before they try to launch any other projects, though I really can't think of anything they can do to win me back and Fallout is my favorite game IP, the original is what got me into pc gaming in the first place.
    HarikenIselin[Deleted User][Deleted User]CyberFrogmeonthissitetweedledumb99infomatzThaharAgent_Josephand 4 others.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I'm done with all these AAA game companies now. I don't have one of their games installed on my PC.
    [Deleted User]meonthissiteNeptusAlverantDiabhualFolmen
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    It's not going f2p, it's going to be abandoned because the company will start development of "Fallout 77" almost immediately after release - like it happened with The Division and Destiny after less than stellar releases.
    Folmen

Thank you for your time!

• VoidfarerVoidfarer Member UncommonPosts: 178

Hariken said:

I'm done with all these AAA game companies now. I don't have one of their games installed on my PC.

Hooray for CIG! 8)
  • Pher0ciousPher0cious Member RarePosts: 476
    Maybe they got caught in the transition, and this is them back-peddling.
    ('''\( ',.:.,' )/''')
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    It's going to go in the $5 steam game list says my unsourced random comment

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    Free wouldn't be good enough. They should pay us to play it.

Though I guess that isn't the worst insult I'd give a game last year. If Koei Tecmo paid me to give Dynasty Warriors 9 another chance, I still wouldn't. 
    [Deleted User]3domArskaaaAgent_Joseph
  • BusterSTLBusterSTL Member UncommonPosts: 1
    I want a refund. I feel ripped off. This game has literally been garbage from the start! I am completely done with Bethesda.
    NorseGodKyleran
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Thats their way of saying "Oh no we arent thru squeezing every dollar out of this that we can."
    TacticalZombeh
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    I'm pretty sure Bioware/EA once denied that too. Although they were more clever with their wording.
    If this one goes F2P in a month or two, then that's a pretty boldfaced lie right there.
    [Deleted User]

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Then again, unless they intend to do cash shop stuff, there is zero reason to give away a game for free.
    [Deleted User]Palebane

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    It should've been a red flag from the start when they said they wouldn't have it on steam.....neither will the Division 2 for that matter.....just saying....
    [Deleted User]ThaharPalebane
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    People actually play this game??
    Kyleraninfomatz

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Avanah said:
    Yes, and some of us even enjoy it.  It's a decent waste of time like most other games.  The biggest negative I have with the game are the random 'no response' and server disconnection events.
    [Deleted User]Kyleran[Deleted User]joemezcal
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    edited January 2019
    This has actually become a new strategy of mine, waiting for a buy to play game to go free to play so I can try it with no $$ commitment.
    [Deleted User]Asm0deusThahar
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Tiller said:
    This has actually become a new strategy of mine, waiting for a buy to play game to go free to play so I can try it with no $$ commitment.
    This has become more common than companies releasing free demos like back in the day.
    I guess these are the new demos.
    Thupli

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630
    Avanah said:
    Yes...

and you are trying way to hard to be edgy, that line is so passe. 
    Kyleranmmolouhikaru47
  • foxgirlfoxgirl Member RarePosts: 485
    I seem to remember the ESO devs claiming that their game wasn't going f2p either.
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865

DMKano said:

Albatroes said:

It should've been a red flag from the start when they said they wouldn't have it on steam.....neither will the Division 2 for that matter.....just saying....

Didn't want to deal with refunds and 30% cut to Steam - the downside is much lower number of copies sold though - Steam has a ton of users.

Those are pretty big reasons they didn't go to Steam, but there is another thing to consider (Also a consideration for The Division 2) My guess is that the loss of income from the share on steam is far worse in cases like these. Let's face it: Fallout 76 and The Division 2 both have far larger install bases on console then PC. So what few sales they have on Steam is probably better off that they get a bigger cut. You have to also remember that specifically with The Division 2, Epic and Ubisoft probably worked out an even better deal for them to put it on Epic Store.
    Either way, both games live and die by their console success; not PC success.

So onto the topic at hand..

I mean, it will go F2P eventually. It just isn't for a while still, probably end of the year is my guess. The game is still pretty new. At this point it would be a waste of money to transition to F2P (As there is a cost involved) as the stink of launch is still going. There are still controversies popping up. While minor, they need to wait for the press to move on for a while before the change.
    SpottyGekko
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    3dom said:
    It's not going f2p, it's going to be abandoned because the company will start development of "Fallout 77" almost immediately after release - like it happened with The Division and Destiny after less than stellar releases.
    A lot of companies would like their games to do as badly as Destiny and The Division.

The development plan for Destiny was laid out before D1 launched as well, in a contract between Bungee and Activision ..... 
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    This is the only Fallout game I actually enjoy playing. Tried playing Fallout 4 twice, just bored me to death.
    Sovrath[Deleted User]KyleranSiug[Deleted User]tweedledumb99alkarionlogAgent_Josephjoemezcal
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Celcius said:

<snip>

I mean, it will go F2P eventually. It just isn't for a while still, probably end of the year is my guess. The game is still pretty new. At this point it would be a waste of money to transition to F2P (As there is a cost involved) as the stink of launch is still going. There are still controversies popping up. While minor, they need to wait for the press to move on for a while before the change.
    Maybe but maybe not .... lots of Bethseda titles people are still waiting to go f2p. 
    Big discounts in their store - which helps to promote their store as well - perhaps.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited January 2019

DMKano said:

Are the copies being pulled though?

If so is it just non selling stock they are reducing on hand quantities or will they try a relaunch of some sort?

The big issue is what happens to unsold physical copies - the stores have a clause that states "after X days all product in stores will be bought back by Bethesda at full original retail price" 

So when a game is selling badly - companies must reduces the stock or they would lose their ass on those buy-back charges to retail outlets.

As far as Fallout 76 going F2P - not anytime soon, they are going to keep discounting the crap out of it to recoup the cost.

I personally prefer physical games, but i strongly believe that if a game cannot be played completely offline then it has no reason to be released physically.

Bethesda could have saved themselves the hassle you described above since it is unlikely they will profit from this game without a major rework or fix.

• meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    Even though the rumors are false they definitely owe loads to the community for putting out a shitty game!
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917

Hariken said:

Just uninstalled world of warcraft know what you mean!
    NorseGod