Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Caspien tantrum about news coverage

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    edited January 2019
    Kyleran said:
    Stay on target folks. Don't let this thread turn into a discussion of GDemanis strange beliefs.  He stated them.  We all disagree.  Great.

Back to Caspien's reaction! 

Does anyone think this ends up with an olive branch softball email based "interview" without any chance for follow-up questions?  I'd hate to see that.  I would LOVE to see a live interview.

I don't feel Caspian really has anything to gain by speaking out or responding further to issues concerning the delays, in fact going dark on the subject is probably the better move.  (For him, not the backers)

You don't see Brad, Mark, or Chris directly responding to missed promises anymore, so why should Jeremy either? (Again, for him, not the backers)

All four games are now in the "deliver" or shut up phase IMO as I don't  care how busy they are, just show me the final results.  YMMV.

I think he would like to "go dark" about the delays.  I think he continually tries to ignore what was said in the past which is why each State of Elyria is almost like GroundHog Day, ignoring what was said previously and just dangling new carrots.

Unfortunately for him, each time he tries to start his spiel over there are a few folks that stand up and play back his prior statements.

Sorry, but when selling your product you literally use the words: "Soulbound Studios promises to" and then follow it with "Publish and update our schedule on the CoE website"...  you are obligated to actually do that.  You can try to weasel out of other statements by claiming they were estimates blah blah blah, but there is no weaseling out of something you clearly and literally PROMISED and is 100% within your power to do.  Maybe you can't control hitting the schedule but you absolutely can control publishing and updating it.

And no, putting it behind the NDA paywall forums in order to hide from criticism does not count.

And if your response to a relatively mild article that describes the author's disappointment with the lack of updates and progress is to cut off the website and say you are going to funnel your exclusive news to PCGAMER (who as far as I can tell has run 1 CoE article in total since inception) then that should tell any prospective backer all they need to know.

PS:  I don't really follow Pantheon. I tried backing them in the failed Kickstarter but was not about to give them the minimum of (I think) $100 they wanted on their website.  As for Mark...  backers have been able to get into his game and see for themselves.  They can also get their money back.  And yes, he gets beaten up for being late as those earlier facts mitigate the delay factor but do not excuse it.   And Chris...  I have no friggin idea.  200 mil and counting.  It's the one-off "World of Warcraft" of Kickstarted MMOs that everyone will try to copy but never equal. 
    Gdemamitweedledumb99YashaX

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Kyleran said:
    Stay on target folks. Don't let this thread turn into a discussion of GDemanis strange beliefs.  He stated them.  We all disagree.  Great.

Does anyone think this ends up with an olive branch softball email based "interview" without any chance for follow-up questions?  I'd hate to see that.  I would LOVE to see a live interview.

I don't feel Caspian really has anything to gain by speaking out or responding further to issues concerning the delays, in fact going dark on the subject is probably the better move.  (For him, not the backers)

You don't see Brad, Mark, or Chris directly responding to missed promises anymore, so why should Jeremy either? (Again, for him, not the backers)

All four games are now in the "deliver" or shut up phase IMO as I don't  care how busy they are, just show me the final results.  YMMV.

Hey, now! Don't be lumping Pantheon in the same category as CoE. :wink:

Brad never made any arrogant promises about releasing his game in 1.5 years. After the KS failed, AFAIK it's always been it'll be ready when it's done. And that just barely scratches the surface on how different these two projects have been managed.
    Gdemamitweedledumb99Kumapon
    --------------------------------------------
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    The thing that I see is you have a niche genre in mmos, niche in age and death, niche in pvp. You are filtering down a population more and more. He is now cutting a shrinking player base more and more. Its not a bad development move, this is a bad business move. Hopefully he reconsiders his move, like capt lol said, he doesn't owe us anything but we also don't owe him anything. If customers and potential customers are fading you need to do something to increase, he is literally killing his company as time goes on. 
    Gdemamicraftseeker
  • tweedledumb99tweedledumb99 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    The thing that I see is you have a niche genre in mmos, niche in age and death, niche in pvp. You are filtering down a population more and more. He is now cutting a shrinking player base more and more. Its not a bad development move, this is a bad business move. Hopefully he reconsiders his move, like capt lol said, he doesn't owe us anything but we also don't owe him anything. If customers and potential customers are fading you need to do something to increase, he is literally killing his company as time goes on. 
    Ive Iaid  this before for CU and it applies here too.

As long as they can put out something fun that sells well in their niche before they run out of money, they'll be fine.

Has anyone seen their IT or alpha builds and run around in them?
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Whoa, okay.
    And that after the many positive articles this site has posted about his game in the past.
    Even the "negative" ones haven't been THAT bad.
    [Deleted User]YashaXDakeru

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Whoa, okay.
    And that after the many positive articles this site has posted about his game in the past.
    Even the "negative" ones haven't been THAT bad.
    Yeah but..
    You don't question the Master.
    The Master does not like it.
    Slapshot1188WellspringMadFrenchiecraftseekerAzaron_Nightblade
    Harbinger of Fools
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Kyleran said:

Brad never made any arrogant promises about releasing his game in 1.5 years. After the KS failed, AFAIK it's always been it'll be ready when it's done. And that just barely scratches the surface on how different these two projects have been managed.
    Pfft, of all the people to defend, you pick Brad... the guy who took the money for himself and let his employees go unpaid.

I'm no Caspian fan, but so far, he's only taken money that people handed him, rather than screwing others over to get it.

But you choose that one to defend *gag*. Brad is the only one on that list who has a historic knack for screwing over his teams/projects.
    craftseeker
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Lokero said:
    Kyleran said:

Pfft, of all the people to defend, you pick Brad... the guy who took the money for himself and let his employees go unpaid.

I'm no Caspian fan, but so far, he's only taken money that people handed him, rather than screwing others over to get it.

But you choose that one to defend *gag*. Brad is the only one on that list who has a historic knack for screwing over his teams/projects.
    Hey! He can at least get something working!!! lol
    craftseeker
    edited January 2019
    48 hours from now we should have the much anticipated 0.5 update!
    Lets see if he has taken any of this to heart and actually delivers what he promised: An updated schedule.

Not just a : Here is the general order of things we are going to work on...

But an actual schedule with estimated dates and all.  That's what a schedule is.  And heck, you may miss those new dates (I know shocking idea) but be up front and publish a monthly update.  

Giving updates only behind an NDA pay wall has proven to be detrimental as well as breaking that promise from Kickstarter.   Let's get back on track.
    LackingMMOMendelGdemami

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    How can something that is "indirectly" requested also be "clear."  Things that make you go "hmmmmmmmm." 
    Mendel

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited January 2019
    Also, did Caspian choose his forum icon or did he lose a bet?
    Slapshot1188MadFrenchieKyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Amathe said:
    How can something that is "indirectly" requested also be "clear."  Things that make you go "hmmmmmmmm." 
    Obfuscation++.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Lets see if he has taken any of this to heart and actually delivers what he promised: An updated schedule.

But an actual schedule with estimated dates and all.  That's what a schedule is.  And heck, you may miss those new dates (I know shocking idea) but be up front and publish a monthly update.  

Giving updates only behind an NDA pay wall has proven to be detrimental as well as breaking that promise from Kickstarter.   Let's get back on track.
    This is a chance, perhaps his last chance, to make amends with the community.  First, there were only the outliers that questioned his vision.  That seems to have spread to the outer recesses of the Ivory Tower.  Caspien needs some major public relations work.

If SBS is going to make a game, make a game.  Act like professionals and stop with these rather childish games of accusation.  Assigning blame never helps anything proceed.  If necessary, blame me and move on.  It is time to show what you've got and how much further there is to go.

Gdemami

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Mendel said:

This is a chance, perhaps his last chance, to make amends with the community.  First, there were only the outliers that questioned his vision.  That seems to have spread to the outer recesses of the Ivory Tower.  Caspien needs some major public relations work.

If SBS is going to make a game, make a game.  Act like professionals and stop with these rather childish games of accusation.  Assigning blame never helps anything proceed.  If necessary, blame me and move on.  It is time to show what you've got and how much further there is to go.
    Really, all Caspian needs to do is stop speaking and hand the PR over to someone else.  I would assume they must have someone who's remotely capable of public communications.

He has no adult people skills of his own, and that reason alone is what has turned some of against the project.

I mean, it's too late for me to start believing in their team, but for those people wanting to believe, I doubt they want to see the king wearing the jester's outfit and making a fool of himself.
    Gdemami
  • TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    I can only assume this comes off discord? I really don't expect anything to change. Well not as long as their loyal backers keep spam upvoting anything he says. 
    Well, sadly it looks like Caspien will NOT be including an actual schedule with dates.  Of course, it's hidden in the pay access NDA forum but since this part was linked on the main forum I can share it.

So great.  Despite his PROMISE to provide updated schedules, It looks like we still get useless crap with no dates.

Oh well.  We should see for real tomorrow.
    Gdemami

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Well, sadly it looks like Caspien will NOT be including an actual schedule with dates.  Of course, it's hidden in the pay access NDA forum but since this part was linked on the main forum I can share it.

So great.  Despite his PROMISE to provide updated schedules, It looks like we still get useless crap with no dates.

I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you :joy:

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 371

It would probably just look like this anyways.
    Feature 1:  Soon™(Unless we ax it)
    Feature 2:  Soon™(Unless we ax it)
    Feature 3:  Soon™(Actually we already axed this one.)
    Feature 4:  Q2 2020(I've just been informed by my lawyers that was supposed to be Soon™, and then my developers informed me that we axed this one too.)
    Game's full release:  Soon™(Probably)
    Slapshot1188KyleranScotAzaron_Nightblade
    No 0.5 update today...

Not his fault.  Just toss the team under the bus.

Not much good nor very WOW...

GdemamicraftseekerKumaponKyleranDakeruYashaXKlikaeGaladourn[Deleted User]

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    How interesting what you linked has been removed there Slapshot. Meaning from the CoE forums, it's almost as if someone broke NDA. Seems the public isn't worthy enough to get anything. Even a hint of a timeline. 

I don't really care about this 0.5.0 blog. I just wanna see this state of elyria blog. Unless they are both the same thing.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    No 0.5 update today...

Lol.  Damn, I mean I guess maybe his team is aware expressly through internal discussion he meant nothing by it, but Jesus Christ that comes off as straight douchebag.

If my Director pulled that shit all sly with our business partners or parent company, I can confidently say me and the rest of my team would be pretty sour about the tone.
    Kumapontweedledumb99GdemamiDakeruUngoodMendelOctagon7711Galadourn

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    No 0.5 update today...

Lol.  Damn, I mean I guess maybe his team is aware expressly through internal discussion he meant nothing by it, but Jesus Christ that comes off as straight douchebag.

If my Director pulled that shit all sly with our business partners or parent company, I can confidently say me and the rest of my team would be pretty sour about the tone.
    The part that amuses me a great deal is that he is probably telling the truth about his team being late.

But.. seriously.. HE is one to criticize people about missed dates  B)
    GdemamiMadFrenchieGaladourn
    Harbinger of Fools
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    No 0.5 update today...

He's ready to write a glowing progress report, but can't write it because they haven't made the progress he wants to write about?
    GdemamiAnOldFartSlapshot1188MadFrenchieGaladournPhaserlight

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    edited January 2019

Gdemami
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    The thing about SCRUM methodology is that you need a very good Project Manager for it too work, one with an excellent plan and absolute commitment to preserve the plan. BUT this is Caspian, who has no experience and seems to discard the plan and formulate a new one more often than he changes his socks.
    CoE is using Scrum...?