Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which do you prefer - Starter Cities or Newbie Areas?

2»

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012
    Starter cities that are new player friendly.

I don't like the idea of having areas where high level characters find no reason to visit.
    AlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I absolutely love how Blizzard does it.I login see a npc with a yellow marker over it's head,hmmm wonder what that is for,i go click it not because i care about ANYTHING lore or the npc or the game but just because it is like a leash drawing me in.

So then do i go investigate,umm no,do i wonder about the lore,immersion,nope,what do i do in this rpg then,oh yeah go do whatever that yellow marker told me to do.

Umm yeah BRILLIANT design and to prove it millions other also agree,,,roflmao.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    This depends.

Sometimes a "Starter City" can quickly overwhelm players, with too much to do and no place to really go.

To give an example of a good Starter Zone, would be in DDO, where you have a Newbe City, but they make it clear that once you complete the quest line in this starting city, it's time to move on to the "Real World" and that becomes your new home. 

They worked that well, but DDO was a Quest-Hub game,  the city was really nothing more then a place for you to move about and get into instance based quests. 

Now the flip side of this, we have, I'll use GW2, that puts you in a Starting Zone right next to your racial starting city. This also is story driven, so it moves you about and gives you things to do at the start, but, you of course can chose to ignore this and do whatever makes you happy. The rails are not fixed in that Theme-park.

On the Flip side of this, Riders of Icarus, had me locked on the rails in a newbie starer area, and it drove me nuts because I had to follow a straight line from point A to B to C, and I could not change or modify the experience, then it drops me in a starer city and just.. ends everything abruptly, leaving me going "WTF do I do not?"

In that case, it was not where I started, but the entire set up that was a disaster to the game for me.

So.. while both can work, IMHO, neither is really better, it's more contingent upon how they set it up, as opposed to what the set up is.

AlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• MasoodVoonMasoodVoon Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Best start is Ark, naked and afraid on a beach with fast dinosaurs running you down.
  • krgwynnekrgwynne Member UncommonPosts: 119
    noob areas or small starter city,s are good massive starter city like in final fantasy just make the beginning game a boring run around for to many hrs. but it also depend on the game, this is for true mmos not fake ones like all the team vs team and 99 percent of the survival games out there that are still being produced since they are so cheap to make,even though player have move on.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    It depends on how big the city is...Some of them get a little ridiculous and you spend ten minutes just trying to make it to the gate outside.
    As long as every race starts in their own racial area i don't mind if its a newbie area or their own city.

I dislike when everyone starts in the exact same area. Devs may have their own reason to do that, but it feels lazy and it reduces the alt replayability for me.
    While I'm in agreement, I don't really believe it's lazy so much as making sure, as the game ages, that players aren't too spread out.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    edited January 2019
    I prefer cities like they are in UO.  I don't think any city should be starter cities because no super dangerous creatures should be on the outskirts of a normal city.  

Not to mention I am for horizontal progression.  So I rather view creatures on difficulty levels than vertical levels.  
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    First to answer the question, Newbie Areas. Though as @t0nyd mentioned, I also like to just be released in the word or as rojoArcueid mentioned in your own racial area. 

If I could choose how I would like to start off, I love the idea of starting off in your own house. Think like ArcheAge, but you wouldn't have to buy the land or house, it would be yours just by joining the game.
    AlBQuirky
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    The biggest problem with Starter Cities and newbie areas, is that they quickly become irrelevant, though i think thats an issue that affects all games that have level based areas, not that i have anything against themepark games, its just that it means new players are often at a disadvantage if they are too few in number and there is any kind of group content. New players are far more likely to obtain help etc. if they are able to start in areas that contain more experienced players. :/
    InteritusVermillion_RaventhalAlBQuirky
  • InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236
    I like starter cities, as long as, like Phry mentioned, they can stay relevant.  I've seen a lot of starter areas that ended up being completely forgettable. I'm dropped in there and I'm sent away from the start region as fast as possible.  Few enemies, visually generic. Mind you this isn't for all of them, but a fair amount take this approach. And when you're first entering a game, your first few hours can help shape your opinion of the game. 
    AlBQuirky
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Phry said:
    The biggest problem with Starter Cities and newbie areas, is that they quickly become irrelevant, though i think thats an issue that affects all games that have level based areas, not that i have anything against themepark games, its just that it means new players are often at a disadvantage if they are too few in number and there is any kind of group content. New players are far more likely to obtain help etc. if they are able to start in areas that contain more experienced players. :/
    More a vertical progression problem.  But nothing wrong with newbie areas around large cities.  Unless this is Attack on Titan most areas should be clear of dangerous stuff.
  • EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248
    Nice thread and great topic. 

I think it can go either way. I like the idea of starting off in something small town or village that is in the same zone as a larger city. It creates wonder and something to look forward too. It can also lessen server tension and lag when a lot of newbies and older players are in the same area. 

I think one of the biggest problems with cities in MMORPG's is that certain cities become barren and underpopulated. 

I like what Lord of the Rings Online did. They had a small starter city and zone to work your way to a larger one. Bree is a popular place because that is where Humans, Dwarves and Elves converge. 

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Eronakis said:
    Nice thread and great topic. 

I think it can go either way. I like the idea of starting off in something small town or village that is in the same zone as a larger city. It creates wonder and something to look forward too. It can also lessen server tension and lag when a lot of newbies and older players are in the same area. 

I think one of the biggest problems with cities in MMORPG's is that certain cities become barren and underpopulated. 

I like what Lord of the Rings Online did. They had a small starter city and zone to work your way to a larger one. Bree is a popular place because that is where Humans, Dwarves and Elves converge. 

How could you leave out the Hobbits ?  :)
    craftseeker
  • EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248
    I would also like to mention that over the years I am becoming more and more against a vast array of race starting areas. Sure, it make sense but I feel like that having an area and a city where multiple races can start makes more sense. Thus, that creates an atmosphere of diversity in race and can start the community factor much earlier. Specifically, for group based PVE content games. 

I like the idea of 3 starting cities with 3 races per city/area. 
    Eronakis said:
    I would also like to mention that over the years I am becoming more and more against a vast array of race starting areas. Sure, it make sense but I feel like that having an area and a city where multiple races can start makes more sense. Thus, that creates an atmosphere of diversity in race and can start the community factor much earlier. Specifically, for group based PVE content games. 

I like the idea of 3 starting cities with 3 races per city/area. 
    Maybe that could be the solution. Allow for several new player cities/areas and have a population meter so that players can pick one that is more populated or less populated depending on their tastes.

Then leave it at that.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    I like newbie areas. However, one thing that is annoying is that once you leave, you cannot go back. I've always been about completing as many quests as possible. I had missed one on the newbie island via EQ2. It wouldn't allow me to go back to complete it. So I felt like I was always tainted with this missing quest.
    AllerleirauhLokeroQuizzicalcraftseeker
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Starter area are better suited to introduce you into the game world and lore, starter cities can feel overwhelming and you can easy get the feeling where the fuck is everything, ahh I'm at the right place but damn It's a level below me, where are the frikkin stairs.
    Iselin
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    Dauzqul said:
    I like newbie areas. However, one thing that is annoying is that once you leave, you cannot go back. I've always been about completing as many quests as possible. I had missed one on the newbie island via EQ2. It wouldn't allow me to go back to complete it. So I felt like I was always tainted with this missing quest.
    Totally agree with this, it's an OCD thing.lol  I'm tempted to create a new character when this happens.
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited January 2019
    Dauzqul said:
    Totally agree with this, it's an OCD thing.lol  I'm tempted to create a new character when this happens.
    There are still some MMO's in which I create a new character just so I can fully revisit the starter content.

A lot of this depends on game design.  I've gotten to some cities and been totally lost as what to do next.  Other cities have had NPCs run up to me and start quest lines, both minor and major. 

Then there are the games with big allows and pointers. :-/

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    And then there are instanced starting areas, where you find out after you leave the instance and can't go back in that there were achievements to be had that are now closed to you. Ugh.
    Sovrath

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    t0nyd said:
    Neither, I prefer to be released out into the world.
    *a quiet voiceover whispers*
    "Here we have T0nyd, getting set to be released into the world. Don't scare him, please and let's see what he does."

Sorry. The scenario popped into my head and I couldn't stop the old nature documentary from coming out :)
    UngoodSovrathAmathe

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    starter cities

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Dauzqul said:
    See this is not an issue with "Starting Areas" it is an issue with bad design. For example, you could over level the starting zone in EQ, to complete every quest there, if you wanted. 

Same with other games like GW2, and DDO, that is really what happens here, it is not that is was a "Starting Area" it was how it is set up that set the bar between suck and awesome.

Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.