Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online Team Shares Message About the Love of the Franchise for a Father & Son

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageStar Trek Online Team Shares Moving Message About the Love of the Franchise for a Father & Son - MMORPG.com

The Star Trek Online team has shared a post from an individual named Nick Gasper who wrote about his father's and his love of the Star Trek franchise. The "rant" (according to the writer) begins with how much his dad loved Star Trek and raised his son to believe the same. "Sit down, this is important," Nick's dad would say. By sharing those moments through the years of their lives together, they created a bond that has lasted even after the passing of Nick's dad several years ago.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I love this! There's always something "important" to discover between people who love one another.
    [Deleted User]ScotAgent_JosephKlikaeAmatheOctagon7711Keller

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• CIB3CIB3 Member UncommonPosts: 121
    wtf I just read?!
    Kootur
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    Very cool story. I too began watching Star Trek because my parent's loved it. I met the love of my life by playing some music from one of the episodes. She noticed me because we both loved Star Trek the Next Generation.
    SBFordAgent_JosephKlikaeDeathboOctagon7711
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    That was some really lovely bonding brought about by Star Trek.
    SBFordAgent_JosephKlikaeOctagon7711

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Beautiful.

*snif *snif
    SBFordAgent_JosephKlikaeOctagon7711

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    Clearly his dad realised, if I show my son any other Sci-fi on TV he will end up thinking the world is going to end up a disastrous place; but if I show him ST, the one show where the future is not doomed he will realise there is always hope. :)
  • RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674

Scot said:

Clearly his dad realised, if I show my son any other Sci-fi on TV he will end up thinking the world is going to end up a disastrous place; but if I show him ST, the one show where the future is not doomed he will realise there is always hope. :)

I could see someone actually thinking that. The one thing that Star Trek never did (except movies) is always be at battle. They had plenty of "oops, did I just hit that button?" talking about a button that is labeled immediate disaster for at least one person if not more. Some of the ones without fighting were the silliest but also the ones that I generally laughed the most at.
    Octagon7711
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I loved this. Thanks a lot for sharing it.
    SBFordOctagon7711

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    That's a great life lesson. There's hope...
    SBFord

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I loved Star Trek as a kid.I had it good,there was a whole slew of shows i loved and would race home from school to watch them.

A couple problems though,games are NOT the original idea,they are copy cat ideas to cash in on someone else's hard work to make the IP's popular.The second problem is i cannot think of a single popular IP where the game was done well.SWTOR would be the closest and that is a rather generic simple design.
    When Star Trek game came out,i was full of anticipation,couldn't wait to see what they did with the game...all down hill from the first minute onward.Not only did i logout after one hour i felt extremely pissed they would put that lack of effort into such a popular franchise and the license owner let them away with it.
    Other than that,sure seems like a new marketing ploy with so many devs telling us how their games are seemingly making life great for everyone.How about NO ,your games are doing nothing for real life situations,this is yet again trying to cash in on someone else only in these recent postings,trying to cash in like charities,on people's hard times.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WenchesnmeadWenchesnmead Member UncommonPosts: 35
    This is just a terrific story from start to finish. Thanks for sharing it!

Whats funny is over the weekend i started watching TNG again from start to finish. Although the original series is where I fell in love with star trek. Setting an alarm in my room to watch at 2am every night on syndication.

I look forward to doing exactly as this dad did with my kids as well.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    Robbgobb said:

Scot said:

I could see someone actually thinking that. The one thing that Star Trek never did (except movies) is always be at battle. They had plenty of "oops, did I just hit that button?" talking about a button that is labeled immediate disaster for at least one person if not more. Some of the ones without fighting were the silliest but also the ones that I generally laughed the most at.
    They had battles in the TV series, but they tended to be more about exploration, diplomacy and what it would mean for humans to become space faring.
  • foppoteefoppotee Member UncommonPosts: 505
    Really great story.  Just shows how positive inspiration can still be found in the world.
    Scot