Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard

13»

Comments

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    lahnmir said:
    I tried this unofficial server a couple of times, it shows the amount of logged in people. It never exceeded 5. I love VG, I subbed to the official game. But that number, 5, tells me everything I need to know.

Goodbye VG, it was great while it lasted.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Seriously,5 that is sad. Surely more people would check it out. I mean more than 5 people always say they would play it when asked on these forums.
    Chamber of Chains
  • pkpkpkpkpkpk Member UncommonPosts: 265
    lahnmir said:
    I tried this unofficial server a couple of times, it shows the amount of logged in people. It never exceeded 5. I love VG, I subbed to the official game. But that number, 5, tells me everything I need to know.

Goodbye VG, it was great while it lasted.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Most are probably playing Project 1999. Since both games are about grouping, it makes sense.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    There was ever only 1 main guild in the whole of VG and the playerbase of the entire server was pretty much that guild.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• HowryHowry Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Its not even close to being finished. Its just for testing so there wont be many people playing at this point.
  • Morgenes83Morgenes83 Member UncommonPosts: 286
    I loved the game when there was no fast travelling and you were Kos to npcs of enemy races. At release I couldnt play it because of the lag. Joined again and had the best pve time in my history. We levelled to max lvl and then there was nothing more to do. Afaik there was no raid at that time. So whole guild left.

I rejoined later and started raiding (ancient porthouse?) but after some time it felt too underpopulated at the times I was playing and no New content was at the horizon, so sadly after lvling lots of alts I left.

Thats what also stops me from testing the Emulator. That bad feeling, being all alone most of the time.

If I could find ~3-4 people playing regulary at GMT evenings I would start now.

Are there any European based guilds playing right now or is it US timezone only you met people?

1997 Meridian 59 'til 2019 ESO 

Waiting for Camelot Unchained & Pantheon

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    Has there been any progress made??

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Has there been any progress made??
    There's posts in the testing thread on their forums as of today, so there's progress being made.  Seems to be slow, with the team focusing on one "chunk" (zone?) at a time with regards to building and debugging the quests.

I've heard so much about Vanguard that I'd love to give it a try if they get it even to an early "beta" build of some sort.  Never got the chance to try it when it released.

• ShelvinarrShelvinarr Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Vanguard was so ahead of it's time, look at games released after like Archeage that use some of the same features, it just breaks my heart that in the gaming industry the pioneers of innovation are met with heavy handed criticism. Albeit, Vanguard saw it's share of problems that lead to it's eventual downfall
  • dcruse2dcruse2 Member UncommonPosts: 3
    January 2019     https://vgoemulator.net/index.php?p=projman     everything level 1 through 20 done . they are working on the mid range content and crafting now. You can log on create an character and play completely through the nooby isle. they have the starter crafting quests done and the starter diplomacy ready also. awesome progress has been made over the last year and it seems to be coming together more and more faster.  Just an update to let everyone know.

vonryan123
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Well, Vanguard mostly failed because it had to release early, and there have been a couple poor decisions made about it, such as the absurdly high requirements in respect to hardware when it released.

Yes it always was quite buggy. Not so buggy that I would have fallen though the world all the time, or anything like that. But there was always some more oddities left than should have been, really. Stuff like graphic bugs.

Raiding in Vanguard however was pure awesome, a real challenge.

All classes had unique abilities that made them desireable for raiding. For example you wanted each of the four healer classes because each of them had unique abilities to push the hitpoints of the tank(s). Or you wanted a Ranger in order to kick stances. A monk could kick stances, too, but it wasnt as good an ability. You wanted Monk for their superior Fake Death though, so you could pull adds, and you could survive wipes. Necromancer had the uber HP buff. Only enchanter could do some of the more advanced enchants. Bard was basically required for every group because of their group buffs. Of course the different tanks had their advantages, too, so for dragons one would want a Paladin because of their fear immunity. And so on and so forth.

Not only have all classes been required, but also the strategies you had to use often have been quite complex, and needed to be correctly timed etc.

Of course once you had equipped up, lower tier raiding became kind of trivial, at least if you still remembered the required strategies. It still was fun though to raid with newbies. A bit sad though because they totally missed how hard it was the first time around.

I also loved the many classes. They each have been so unique in gameplay. Certain aspects that are really important on one class would be completely irrelevant on another. For example some classes had separate counters they had to concentrate on.

So say a Blood Mage would have a blood counter with the current mob. Using regular attacks would raise this counter, while other abilities used up points from this counter. Would the mob die the counter would be reset, so it was important to use the abilities that use up the counter before the mob dies. It was also important to stay on the same mob because if you changed target the counter was reset, too.

It was very different on Monk and Disciple (Disciple being the Monk healer). They had a Yin(?) counter that would go up from certain attacks. You could also raise that counter over time with certain stances, so unlike a Blood Mage the counter would usually be at maximum at the beginning of a battle. Anyway other abilities would use up that counter, and you tried to have it maxed before any battle at any point in time. The Disciple would be able to heal with this counter, which allowed them massive single target heals without any mana useage.

On a Paladin or Cleric on the other hand the only way to increase the counter was to wait. For Clerics it was just their turn undead ability that was on the counter. Paladin had some more uses, but of course those have been very special abilities one would want to reserve for emergencies.

All in all Vanguard was a great game and I miss it a lot. It doesnt look to me as if Pantheon will be really a replacement. Now a smaller game world and no longer a seamless world etc I can live with, but the class system looks a lot simplified and EQ-fied, and to me thats a huge step backwards. Many of my favorite classes are gone, too. No Blood Mage, no Disciple, no Dread Knight, no Necromancer - thats literally all the fun classes, really. I also dont like at all that High Elf and Wood Elf are now one race and share the class list - thus no longer can an Elf be a Cleric or Paladin.

Gorwe
  • SylvinstarSylvinstar Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Best classes, best dungeons, best world, best crafting, best idea with zone wide player-made buffs via diplomacy.  If this was launched in a more playable state tomorrow I'd be a paying sub.
    SovrathAdamantine
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Best classes, best dungeons, best world, best crafting, best idea with zone wide player-made buffs via diplomacy.  If this was launched in a more playable state tomorrow I'd be a paying sub.

The thing is, before it was closed it was in a playable state.

I actually subscribed. Not the Sony multipass or whatever it was called. Just to Vanguard. I wanted to make sure that they knew this was the game I was subscribing to.

Of course they could have just looked at logins but I felt one directed sub to one game was a better way to vote with my wallet.
    Panther2103Adamantine
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SylvinstarSylvinstar Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Sovrath said:

The thing is, before it was closed it was in a playable state.

I actually subscribed. Not the Sony multipass or whatever it was called. Just to Vanguard. I wanted to make sure that they knew this was the game I was subscribing to.

Of course they could have just looked at logins but I felt one directed sub to one game was a better way to vote with my wallet.
    I was subbed pretty much to the end, but I can't remember if it was through Sony or what.  I'd say it was in a playable state as well, but there's no denying it needed fixing and another generation of hardware to catch up to it.

If they hadn't axed the game, I'd have remained subbed.  Exploring with my Druid was amazing.  The hand-crafted dungeons were amazing.  I still haven't found an MMO - or any game for that matter - that has matched the dungeons in VG.  Housing looked amazing and crafting felt like you were really accomplishing something.
    SovrathPanther2103
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    There has been TONS of progress since I had last posted in this thread by the way... enough to keep me busy enjoying nostalgic content and several different dungeons along with people to play with... enjoying things being almost what it was when it was released when it comes to levels 1-20.. maybe level 35 for some classes.

VERY COOL THAT I WAS ABLE TO ENJOY THIS GAME AGAIN!

Sure wish that the crafting quests would be added though... I loved doing those on six different crafters or what not... making them explore the world doing all of the crafter quests was very fun.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    I never subbed anything but Vanguard. Had no interest in EQ, EQ2, or any other game from them.
    delete5230
  • SyanisSyanis Member UncommonPosts: 140
    VG's own target audience didn't support the game in it's prime, why would any dev waste their time emulating it?
    VG was being built great. Problem is they lost their publisher and picked up a new publisher known for sucking the blood out of games. The new publisher (SoE) forced their timetable up and pressured them to take on a number of SoE devs to get the game rushed to launch. VG launched months before it should have with no endgame anywhere close and many of the systems still very buggy. SoE utterly destroyed VG so hard one has to wonder if it was on purpose due to other plans they had at the time as well.