Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo III Season 16 Kicks Off with New 'Ring of Grandeur' Bonus - MMORPG.com

Comments

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    Iselin said:
    Aeander said:
    Iselin said:
    Some of you guys are so far up the "games as a service" ass that you expect to be fed new xpacs on a regular basis or you get downright bitchy about it.

Diablo 1 : 1 xpac
    Diabllo 2: 1 xpac
    Diablo 3: let's call it 1.5

Not everything is an MMO you know.

I wouldn't say that. It's more that the series has received little of significance in over 4 years.

Anyway, "games as a service" isn't a bad thing. It is a tool in the toolbox, which can be done well or poorly, and Path of Exile is demonstrating that it can be done exceptionally well in this particular genre. It's only natural to want more of it.
    Speaking of doing it poorly... don't you find it ironic that the same people bitching about Diablo 3 not having more xpacs are excited that a new version of WOW that dates back to the time before the first xpac is going to be released this year?

Apparently xpacs are not necessarily a good thing :)
    That's your observation, but I don't see statistics backing it. 

I for one have no interest in WoW, classic or otherwise.
    [Deleted User]psychosiz1
  • psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Most people seem to forget you can track the new characters made in a season on d3 to get somewhat of an idea how many people are playing.  At the beginning of a season, these numbers probably mean more since the site caps at 100k.  There must be more people playing than people recognize since number gets to 100k quickly.  I will say I think people play and quit playing fairly quickly due to the monotony,  but one of the gaming groups I belong to has a very large group of players who seem to go back for new season.
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    edited January 2019
    DMKano said:
    Aeander said:
    Iselin said:
    Speaking of doing it poorly... don't you find it ironic that the same people bitching about Diablo 3 not having more xpacs are excited that a new version of WOW that dates back to the time before the first xpac is going to be released this year?

I am in the same boat - zero interest in WoW classic.
    It's also sort of a false argument any ways.

I'm inclined to believe the reason someone might be interested in WoW classic is due to the game mechanics and play, not the amount of content available to play with.

Taking WoW classic and maintaining the classic gameplay style, skills, and gear curve, and progressively re-adding later content to fit with the classic system would then be the ultimate goal.

Or in short. The expansions are desired, but not at the cost of the core elements of the game they enjoyed playing. IE, add to the game, not change it into something else. "Expand" on content, not replace it.

Point here being, there is not really a direct correlation between wanting the classic server/user experience and wanting no expansion content, as those are not necessarily even the same lines of thought.
    [Deleted User]iamspamicus
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    edited January 2019
    So many people defending Blizzard for not bringing any new content... I'm baffled.
    Btw when I say new content I don't even mean expansions, but at least make each season new and exciting like PoE does with each League.

Btw as things are now Diablo 2 have A LOOOOOOOT more content than D3 and the pathofdiabo and median XL have even more... If you want to play Diablo play those, but I know that those that are defending Blizz and D3 aren't actually Diablo fans, but prefer the graphics and that's about it. Otherwise if they were fans they would just play D2 and say things as they are, which is the game is in maintenance mode pretty much.
    iamspamicusmarcio519Life2v
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

Limnic said:

DMKano said:

Aeander said:

Iselin said:

I am in the same boat - zero interest in WoW classic.

It's also sort of a false argument any ways.

I'm inclined to believe the reason someone might be interested in WoW classic is due to the game mechanics and play, not the amount of content available to play with.

Taking WoW classic and maintaining the classic gameplay style, skills, and gear curve, and progressively re-adding later content to fit with the classic system would then be the ultimate goal.

Or in short. The expansions are desired, but not at the cost of the core elements of the game they enjoyed playing. IE, add to the game, not change it into something else. "Expand" on content, not replace it.

Point here being, there is not really a direct correlation between wanting the classic server/user experience and wanting no expansion content, as those are not necessarily even the same lines of thought.

It's a bit of a moot point now anyway, since all Blizzard Management has left now and ActiVision taken the full reins over Blizzard.

So a this point of time, you have to seriously start thinking if WoW Classic is even going to be happening anymore.
    Xingbairong
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    DMKano said:

So you're saying 5 years of absolutely no content, no expansion, no sequel is okay? coming from the 3rd most sold PC game of all time?

Yes. It's a game. There isn't a responsibility at all to support a game indefinitely. The amount of stupid is deafening.

I think you are confusing players wishing that Blizzard did more in the last 5 years for D3 - with "responsibility to support a game indefinitely".

The amount of failing to grasp this simple difference is quite sad :(

Here's an example from a competing game - Path of Exile

Path of Exile - released in 2013

Expansions for Path of Exile so far:

Path of Exile has had several expansions since it was officially released. Below is a list of all expansions in order of release date.

So it's unreasonable for players to desire 1 more single expansion from 2014-2019 for D3?

Yeah about that.....

A bit of a flawed comparison. PoE keeps making money through the cash shop so it keeps getting developed. Blizzard got into problems when their RM AH fell through and so did a steady stream of income. D3, ironically enough, has too few ways for people to spend money on it, but Blizzard has ongoing costs with keeping the servers up, adding stuff (new zones and monsters have actually been added over the years, for free).

Now,Blizzard should have taken a tiny bit of risk and have invested some money into the project but it really isn’t the same situation as GGG is in with PoE, and that has nothing to do with the actual quality of their titles.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    DMKano said:
    JeroKane said:

So a this point of time, you have to seriously start thinking if WoW Classic is even going to be happening anymore.

It probably shouldn't - as it would be a very short lived game in terms of masses playing for 2 weeks before dumping it.

Was honestly surprised they ever went with it.
    The fact that there are ALOT of people playing on Classic private servers for years now ..

Classic will do fine and sustain several servers for Blizz with strong pop.. They have this data

XingbairongBlueThunderBear
    DMKano said:
    Scorchien said:
    The fact that there are ALOT of people playing on Classic private servers for years now ..

Classic will do fine and sustain several servers for Blizz with strong pop.. They have this data

The question is - is this enough for Activision/Blizzard?

Do they want to bother with several servers worht of Classic for the amount of work requried?

Blizzard is a lot more interested in projects that will bring in 100s of millions in sales - not a tiny bit of cash.

Right now a good bit of of focus is on PR , public image and customer realtions ... Something they take very seriously and are working towards...

Several things on the burners to remedy recent PR snafus
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    Scorchien said:
    DMKano said:
    JeroKane said:

It probably shouldn't - as it would be a very short lived game in terms of masses playing for 2 weeks before dumping it.

There is a huge difference between pirating content on a private server and paying a premium subscription for it. Only a fraction of that private server population will make the transition and pay long term. 
    Aeander said:
    Scorchien said:
    DMKano said:
    JeroKane said:

There is a huge difference between pirating content on a private server and paying a premium subscription for it. Only a fraction of that private server population will make the transition and pay long term. 
    They have there data , and some very nice erhmmm things in store for this , i have full confidence in what they have planned across several IPs ..
    edited January 2019
    DMKano said:
    A really solid Diablo 4 game would bring me back in a hearbeat - but it would have to be damn good a worthy successor that goes back to depth of gameplay of Diablo 2

We know that D4 is in the works - but we don't know how good it will be - I hope it's awesome. The worry is so much of original Blizzard North staff is long gone.

There is still alot of talent in Blizz as you are aware , agreed they need to hit this one out of the park ... Which they are aware of as well ..
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited January 2019
    Why is this game online only still? So when they do decide to shut the servers down were all screwed?

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

Scorchien said:

Aeander said:

Scorchien said:

DMKano said:

JeroKane said:

They have there data , and some very nice erhmmm things in store for this , i have full confidence in what they have planned across several IPs ..

What data? Private servers are not reliable data.

You know why people play on the Private servers? You are incredibly naïve if you think it's for the "classic" experience.

The "real" reason is that these players are cheapskates that don't want to pay the monthly sub to play on the real WoW servers.

These people will not switch to Classic Servers when Blizzard released them.

1. They will not change their mind and suddenly start paying a sub.
    2. They are already heavily invested with their characters on their current Private servers.

Most people who will try out Classic (again...if it's ever gonna happen now. I don't think so anymore), are current WoW players on the live servers who will try it out.

Some will stick, but most will flock back to the Live servers after a short period, when the new and shiny has worn off.
  • davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    edited January 2019

hikaru77 said:

And that's why path of exile have 60k concurrent players.

around 100k if you count steam + launcher
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Torval said:
    Limnic said:

The same could be said for Diablo 3. People are playing it for the game play and mechanics and not the xpacs. Some people play high quality game regardless of the xpacs and other people are willing to play anything as long as they get xpacs. I'd rather replay a good ARPG like this one than what I consider a mediocre whale driven clone for almost free. It's all subjective. There is no rational sense you can make of it.
    In Scarlet Blade it would have been sperm whale driven. Just a thought, nvm me...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Torval said:
    Limnic said:

The same could be said for Diablo 3. People are playing it for the game play and mechanics and not the xpacs. Some people play high quality game regardless of the xpacs and other people are willing to play anything as long as they get xpacs. I'd rather replay a good ARPG like this one than what I consider a mediocre whale driven clone for almost free. It's all subjective. There is no rational sense you can make of it.
    Exactly. Back in the old days of computer gaming before it became a mainstream big business, games got bug fixes but the original game was the game... forever. Occasionally big hits would get an xpac but that was not the norm. 

The whole expansion thing and its cousins "DLC" and "season passes" are a relatively new thing and I remain unconvinced that they are in any way a requirement.

In a way I'm quite glad that D3 is still relatively the same game since it's a game I pick up and put down often with several months' intervals between. If it was constantly xpacing and DLCing I probably wouldn't bother. I go back to it because it's the same good ole D3.

At any rate I find it weird that people are using quantity of xpacs or DLC as a measure of excellence. That's an alien mindset to me. 
    [Deleted User]ConstantineMerus
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Torval said:
    Limnic said:

That's kind of a miss on the point of my post, largely so because you also pulled my comment out of context. Ther expansion content can and still is desireable to the likes of the gameplay party, but as I said in my original comment that you removed, it's not at the cost of said gameplay.

Yes, there are some people that are happy to consume the same content until the end of days. That is as finite a group as any other, and in general, I would think even they would welcome more of the content they enjoy still. The only factor is not drastically altering the core mechanics while delivering that, just expanding on it.

And expansions really aren't particularly new Iselin. You've got expansions dating back to the original Diablo and way older titles. The delivery method has allowed them to become more frequent and smaller, but the notion of additional content packages for a title is very far from new. 
    Limnic said:

And expansions really aren't particularly new Iselin. You've got expansions dating back to the original Diablo and way older titles. The delivery method has allowed them to become more frequent and smaller, but the notion of additional content packages for a title is very far from new. 
    Yes as I already said above, the original Diablo had 1 expansion as did D2 but my point is that to some of you D3 doing the same + a half is no longer good enough and shows abandonment apparently.

Methinks some of you have just gotten way too used to the never ending milking of games by way of a steady stream of DLCs to the point that when a game doesn't do it you find fault in that.
    ConstantineMerus
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Iselin said:
    Limnic said:

Yes as I already said above, the original Diablo had 1 expansion as did D2 but my point is that to some of you D3 doing the same + a half is no longer good enough and shows abandonment apparently.

Methinks some of you have just gotten way too used to the never ending milking of games by way of a steady stream of DLCs to the point that when a game doesn't do it you find fault in that.
    Also with sequels. Even a trilogy is not enough for IPs anymore. 
    Iselin
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    Torval said:
    Limnic said:
    Torval said:
    Limnic said:

That's kind of a miss on the point of my post, largely so because you also pulled my comment out of context. Ther expansion content can and still is desireable to the likes of the gameplay party, but as I said in my original comment that you removed, it's not at the cost of said gameplay.

Yes, there are some people that are happy to consume the same content until the end of days. That is as finite a group as any other, and in general, I would think even they would welcome more of the content they enjoy still. The only factor is not drastically altering the core mechanics while delivering that, just expanding on it.

I didn't remove the context or change the message. It's still there and doesn't change your core point or the issue. The same can be said about both games: people are playing for the game play and mechanics and not for an xpac release cycle.

Expacs are a new thing. I remember when Tales of the Sword Coast was released. It was a big deal. It was a big deal when Diablo released xpacs too. Back then it was considered transformative to a game. It was also something that happened once, maybe twice in a very rare case. Most of the time new games were made instead, not expansions to existing games. Gold Box SSI D&D games all were standalone but allowed character transfer. Most of the Sierra/Dynamix point and clickers were standalone serial games as well, not xpacs.

It's only been post Millennium that we've seen more and more games to xpacs and dlc and even then mostly in the last 8 years or so. MMO gamers are used to xpacs as a norm, but that isn't true for most other genres until recently. That shift has changed how games are designed and delivered and I don't think it's always for the best. In fact I'd say that mmo style xpac cycle has been to the detriment of games quality overall.
       And ironically whats funny is that if you look thru the MMO history many expansions were quite harmful to gameplay and community ..

Now we all love new content ..  Buit be careful what you wish for sometimes you just might get it as the saying goes ..
    [Deleted User]Iselin
    Scorchien said:
    Torval said:
    Limnic said:
    Torval said:
    Limnic said:

I didn't remove the context or change the message. It's still there and doesn't change your core point or the issue. The same can be said about both games: people are playing for the game play and mechanics and not for an xpac release cycle.

Expacs are a new thing. I remember when Tales of the Sword Coast was released. It was a big deal. It was a big deal when Diablo released xpacs too. Back then it was considered transformative to a game. It was also something that happened once, maybe twice in a very rare case. Most of the time new games were made instead, not expansions to existing games. Gold Box SSI D&D games all were standalone but allowed character transfer. Most of the Sierra/Dynamix point and clickers were standalone serial games as well, not xpacs.

It's only been post Millennium that we've seen more and more games to xpacs and dlc and even then mostly in the last 8 years or so. MMO gamers are used to xpacs as a norm, but that isn't true for most other genres until recently. That shift has changed how games are designed and delivered and I don't think it's always for the best. In fact I'd say that mmo style xpac cycle has been to the detriment of games quality overall.
       And ironically whats funny is that if you look thru the MMO history many expansions were quite harmful to gameplay and community ..

Now we all love new content ..  Buit be careful what you wish for sometimes you just might get it as the saying goes ..
    That was exactly my point that apparently some couldn't quite get above in reference to WOW Classic which in the estimation of many (and not me actually - I thought it peaked with Lich King) was the best WOW.

DAoC, SWG... the list goes on. There have probably been just as many MMOs that were made worse by xpacs as those that were actually improved.
    Scorchien[Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    I wish they had kept the real money AH. :(
    Iselin
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
    Iselin said:
    Limnic said:

The point there can be made in how the games are managed is different. Diablo 3, as compared to the older titles, has a live element to it. Notably so since it's on Blizz servers and treated like a live service, just without the same amenities of a live service.

I personally find fault in making people subject to your whims post-launch of a title, without giving us returning value for that loss of control over a product we purchased.

In contrast, I can go back to Diablo 1 and 2 and play those in their original, patched, or expansion states. Hell, I can even mod them.

Diablo 3, I can't. I am beholden only to the state of the game that Blizzard provides me. The onus is then on Blizzard to offer the same variety and content that I would have otherwise had access to had they not removed control of that product from me.
    I wish they had kept the real money AH. :(
    Fuck no. Good riddance. The legendary drop rate while they had the AH was ridiculously low.

[Deleted User]psychosiz1

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Limnic said:

Also with sequels. Even a trilogy is not enough for IPs anymore. 
    Books are the worst offenders. Around my house we refer to The Wheel of Time as a 14 book "trilogy" :)
    ConstantineMerus[Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED