Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ok so it's not worth the fee...

ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077
So 87% of people responding so far to my other poll say it's not currently worth a fee.  In my opinion the only way they could make this worth the *current* fee is if they added more features.

1) A world to explore.  This is a must.  A LOT of people like exploring and finding places to adventure.
2) A story arc... rather than a bunch of disjointed dungeon quests
3) Basic crafting

If those 3 items were added to the current game I would probably pay the current monthly fee.

How about you?  If not, what would you want added to make it worth the fee to you? 

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
Sig image Pending
Still in: A couple Betas

Comments

• CoHsucksCoHsucks Member Posts: 197
    You can throw a can of paint on an outhouse, but its still an outhouse.

Besides, Turbine would just implement these features in a half-assed, unfinished, totally bugged way. They have gotten so much wrong with this travesty, I find it hard to believe they are capable of doing anything right.

They will never get another cent out of me.

• majochmajoch Member Posts: 599
    Basic crafting and the ability to solo a bit when I am not in a social kind of mood , which is usually the first hour or so when I get home from work.
  • zipitzipit Member Posts: 487
    The only fantasy game worth playing, imo, will be Vanguard. I'm just wow'ing abit in the mean time
  • Jd1680aJd1680a Member Posts: 398

Originally posted by Elnator
    So 87% of people responding so far to my other poll say it's not currently worth a fee.  In my opinion the only way they could make this worth the *current* fee is if they added more features.

posting a poll on these forums doesnt tell you a whole lot about what you want.  generally everyone who comes here is anti DDO, so they will more likely vote no.  if you were to post the same poll on ddo's offiical forum, it would probably lean toward the yes votes.

Have played: CoH, DDO EQ2, FFXI, L2, HZ, SoR, and WW2 online

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

A world to explore is abit vague to me. A world designed in the same fashion that I have seen Turbine design the single city for this realm would be about as boring as watching paint dry.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by Jd1680a

posting a poll on these forums doesnt tell you a whole lot about what you want.  generally everyone who comes here is anti DDO, so they will more likely vote no.  if you were to post the same poll on ddo's offiical forum, it would probably lean toward the yes votes.

Do you have another forum?  A Military forum?  Then Name the Target.  I grow tired of these games, Fanboy.... Name the forum. :)

Ok sorry for the "Grand Moff Tarkin" alliteration but:
    Everyone I talk to, not just on these forums but also here at work and on my guild's website as well.  Here at work we have a very large number of folks who play MMORPG's.  Everyone I have talked to has said that DDO is not worth a monthly fee.  In fact this poll has BETTER results than when we talk about it here at work and on the guild forums for my guild (over 100 members).  Every single MMO player here at work and everyone in my guild as well who has tried DDO has flat out stated that it is not worth ANY monthly fee, much less $15 a month.

Sorry but DDO's forums don't qualify as an unbiased source of information because only people actively subscribed to the game can post there.  Duh.  Nobody who's played it and decided to leave can post there.

Sig image Pending

• Matin61Matin61 Member Posts: 63

I'm actually with Elnator on this one.  I voted no on this thread also, but not because the product is made by Turbine.  Turbine actually built my first love of an MMORPG called Ascheron's Call.  I think the old saws that you never forget your first love and will forgive almost anything your first love did to you.

My real problem with Turbine and DDO would be the feeling that they totally missed the mark.  Throwing in a full world, a story arc, and basic crafting might bring DDO up to the point of being a good MMORPG, but I think they would have still missed the boat.

Turbine had every advantage in the world when they got the property called Dungeons and Dragons.  All they had to do was build a great system of graphics and game play that would implement some of the greatest content in the world.  Given what I would have thought was a somewhat simplier task than most, they just failed to get to the finish line with a great product.

I'm afraid at this point, that Turbine lacks the vision and has a basically flawed game that won't be fixed.  The fact that 40% of the people on this board would be willing to give them another chance, just goes to show how much good will Turbine had going into this project.

Captain John Matin
    Royal Red

• Jd1680aJd1680a Member Posts: 398

Sorry but DDO's forums don't qualify as an unbiased source of information because only people actively subscribed to the game can post there.  Duh.  Nobody who's played it and decided to leave can post there.

thats my point.  most of the people who post here are people who have played and left ddo in discuss.  since they cant post on ddo's official forum, they will post here.  guess who are these people are posting, sure not the ones who are favoring it.  so your own poll is actually biased to an extent because people here are leaned against ddo.

Have played: CoH, DDO EQ2, FFXI, L2, HZ, SoR, and WW2 online

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Sorry but DDO's forums don't qualify as an unbiased source of information because only people actively subscribed to the game can post there.  Duh.  Nobody who's played it and decided to leave can post there.thats my point.  most of the people who post here are people who have played and left ddo in discuss.  since they cant post on ddo's official forum, they will post here.  guess who are these people are posting, sure not the ones who are favoring it.  so your own poll is actually biased to an extent because people here are leaned against ddo.

Anyone CAN post here if they feel inclined enough. That makes it as far as you will ever get out of a poll.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

thats my point.  most of the people who post here are people who have played and left ddo in discuss.  since they cant post on ddo's official forum, they will post here.  guess who are these people are posting, sure not the ones who are favoring it.  so your own poll is actually biased to an extent because people here are leaned against ddo.

Sorry, you are wrong.  There ARE people who play the game here.  It IS possible for people who play the game to post here.  Several do.  This site is far more 'unbiased' than the DDO official forums.  Because there the people who LEFT the game can't voice an opinion on the game.  All you get there is the opinion of people who are already sinking their money into it.  And, ipso facto, people PAYING for something every month aren't all that likely to state "yeah it's not worth my money" unless they're just silly.

Sorry there is absolutely NO POINT in posting this poll on the DDO forums... I couldn't even if I wanted to... because I won't pay for the game.  I won't even buy the damn box.  It's NOT worth my money.  I know this because I played in the beta, in the stress tests and in the 7 day free trial last week.  The game was so blah that I didn't even use all 7 days.

Sig image Pending

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Yep if you add crafting,exploration,bit of soloing.

I mean lets face it most of us will not pay for a mmorpg that is all instanced with nada to do then to stand and wait for a group .

Its like watching paint dry.

• VamperoVampero Member UncommonPosts: 38

Originally posted by hercules

Yep if you add crafting,exploration,bit of soloing.
    I mean lets face it most of us will not pay for a mmorpg that is all instanced with nada to do then to stand and wait for a group .
    Its like watching paint dry.

I agree...I tested the beta and the game is so boring... It is for Non hardcore MMOers.....Very plan and easy no fun it should be free like Guild Wars....

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Maybe a crazy Idea but..

how about they let players make dungeons? Its obvious Turbine can't provide people with new dungeons all the time, because players run trough them faster then they can make then. how about giving people the ability to make their own adventures?

Originally posted by Gameloading
    Maybe a crazy Idea but..

how about they let players make dungeons? Its obvious Turbine can't provide people with new dungeons all the time, because players run trough them faster then they can make then. how about giving people the ability to make their own adventures?

That would certainly help... but I don't think more dungeons alone is enough to make this game worth paying $15 a month to play.  It is just too limited right now.  All more dungeons do is add more things to 'grind'.  The game needs something besides the grind for players to do.  It needs to feel like an immersive WORLD... not just a dungeon emulator.

Sig image Pending

• snugglesnuggle Member Posts: 3
    I think the lack of solo content does make this game a struggle to play. But it is good fun when you are able to arrange to get people online at the same time and have a pre arranged group but when you have to do a pick up group it is so hit and miss that you just loose interest in the game. 

ArchLord - Lvl 30

http://www.mrktat.com

• FinalFanFinalFan Member Posts: 12

Well I started the 7 day trial today played for a few hours and my opinion of the game is not bad.

However to make it more interesting to me they would have to add normal hunting areas like u find in most mmorpgs and make the regen in the taverns a tad faster. However I think that they chose for the quest only thing because of the traditional D&D and therefore stayed loyal to their fans. Besides that I think the game is awsome, the gameplay and skills are amazing and the RP is great.

I still voted no though, because since Im not a traditinal D&D fan I couldnt stand doing quests all the time.

Finally I think the developers did a good job with this game and it's definatly worth it if you like games like the traditional D&D and I hope future normal mmorpgs take some higher standards in gameplay like DDO has.

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

I feel sorry for anyone who played pnp d&d and had a similar experience to this game. My DM was amazing. He wrote massive epic story arcs and the game was much more than just quest here quest there.. We covered the map in a journey spanning 3 years. We developed our characters through painstaking experiences. DDO is so lacking in anything resembling D&D outside of its name.

Originally posted by Copeland

I feel sorry for anyone who played pnp d&d and had a similar experience to this game. My DM was amazing. He wrote massive epic story arcs and the game was much more than just quest here quest there.. We covered the map in a journey spanning 3 years. We developed our characters through painstaking experiences. DDO is so lacking in anything resembling D&D outside of its name.

/agree

We didn't ever have a 3 year long campaign (basically cuz I was a military brat and was lucky to live in one place for more than a year) but I had numerous DM's over my time playing AD&D and have even DM'd a few campaigns of my own..... DDO is so blah compared to PnP D&D that it's not even funny.

Sig image Pending

• random11random11 Member UncommonPosts: 765

Maybe a crazy Idea but..

LOL, finally someone else is on the same opinion.  I created threads about letting us do that for a while now in the DDO forums (eu), ever since I realised that there is a serious lack of content. I also posted this on the mmorpg forums, might have been my first post here :P

sry, just had to mention it, reminds me of my initiation on the mmorpg board :D
  • AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

LOL.

You are very biaised.  You are on a RPG site asking if an ACTION game is worth a monthly fee?  Duh...let's me guess the answer!  *grin evilly*

If I go on a site run by Greenpeace (*hug friendly folks btw*) and ask if a wood company deserve gov funding to start a new project, anyone wonder what the answer would be?  Some Lumbering company will claim they are 'green', just like DDO claim to be a RPG. 

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• CaptainRPGCaptainRPG Member Posts: 794

Originally posted by random11

Maybe a crazy Idea but..

LOL, finally someone else is on the same opinion.  I created threads about letting us do that for a while now in the DDO forums (eu), ever since I realised that there is a serious lack of content. I also posted this on the mmorpg forums, might have been my first post here :P

sry, just had to mention it, reminds me of my initiation on the mmorpg board :D

I'm also on that same boat of player content.