Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Caspien tantrum about news coverage

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
Apparently, he is taking his ball home so we can't play...

Oh no...  he's taking his "exclusive access" to PCGamer. 

Which is pretty funny because as far as I can tell they have had a whopping 1 article on CoE and it was from 2016 and ironically is about how they were using SpatialOS...
https://www.pcgamer.com/search/?searchTerm=elyria

Maybe there are others but search shows nothing.  I guess he figures it's virgin territory and they don't know his background of incompetence and failures.

Too funny.  Especially the part where he apparently doesn't realize he is talking to Tim, the author that set him off :)

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

PhaserlightAsm0deus[Deleted User]SBFordDakeruShaighWellspringNorseGod[Deleted User]Kyleranand 14 others.

Comments

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    "indirectly requested not to have any exclusive access"
    Octagon7711SBFordDakerutweedledumb99Wellspring[Deleted User]MadFrenchieklash2defKyleranWaanand 9 others.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Aren't community relations supposed to smooth issues like that out?  Less favorable publicity won't really do anyone any good.  
    Asm0deusSBFordklash2defKylerancraftseekermikeb0817mcd6993

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    Haha was just waiting for this after the last article here on this game...lmao
    SBFordWellspringcraftseekerYashaX

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Exclusive access to what? The only thing they have published is a cash shop for items to a game that will never exist.
    SBFordWellspring[Deleted User]MadFrenchieKylerancraftseekerYashaXCaffynatedmcd6993MrMelGibsonand 5 others.
  • goldboyy45goldboyy45 Member UncommonPosts: 301
    I think there is a good chance CoE will put out a playable alpha at the end of this year, that is about it. The studios has no cash and has hardly anyone working on the title. If it ever comes out, it will be nothing like the vision. Great concept, zero execution. I see nothing positive about the project. Shame on Caspian for writing that and thank you to Original Poster for posting this screenshot. Get rid of Caspian and CoE may have a shot.
    SBFord[Deleted User]GdemamiKylerancraftseekerJamesGoblinNordicApache
    Exclusive access to what? The only thing they have published is a cash shop for items to a game that will never exist.
    Cash shop is an understatement, they have put out zero gameplay content the past year and stall with pointless community contests, every single week they come out with new in game items for 30-40$, the studios is broke and they are leading their community on.
    SBFordGdemamiKylerancraftseeker
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    "indirectly requested not to have any exclusive access"
    I'm not a native speaker and had to ponder over the meaning of this for a minute.
    Then I realized it just means...

He is very butthurt.
    Asm0deusSBFordPhaserlightWellspringSinsaiMadFrenchieTorrskcraftseekerSandmanjwmikeb0817and 5 others.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Isolating your loyal followers from the outside world. Convince them the outside world is evil except for those few handpicked by the leader. Kool-Aid, coming to a cash shop near you for free. Very unsettling.

Go
    Build
    Your
    Bloody
    Game

Stop wasting everybodies time and money. We want you to succeed, but be honest and tranparent. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    TorrskcraftseekerAnOldFartMendelYashaXmcd6993MrMelGibsonGobstopper3Dkjempff
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I'm not sure what an "indirect request" actually is. Oh well, it's Saturday so I'm not going to waste any time pondering the meaning.

Get out in that sunshine, folks...unless you're anywhere in the polar vortex, that is... D:
    Phaserlight[Deleted User]Asm0deuscraftseekernatpickScotMrMelGibsonJamesGoblin

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    It would be funny if it weren't for the fact that major publishers do the same thing. Keep writing positive stuff about  games and never give out poor reviews for publishers is how ign got exclusive access to anthem. Question things and give poor reviews is how you miss out on press events.
    SBFordOctagon7711MrMelGibsonStaalBurgher
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    edited January 2019
    SBFord said:
    I'm not sure what an "indirect request" actually is. Oh well, it's Saturday so I'm not going to waste any time pondering the meaning.

Get out in that sunshine, folks...unless you're anywhere in the polar vortex, that is... D:
    Pretty sure it's all the "unfair" coverage they get from here and Massively.   Facts be damned.  If you want to continue to bring up the small missteps(^1) or even allow forum posters to bring up such insignificance that you have indirectly requested to be unworthy of his exclusive access.

I mean, you actually allowed me to post this on your forums?  HERESY I SAY!  How dare anyone look at what the great Caspen said in the past!

^1) 2017 launch ETA, ElyriaMud, VoxElyria, Prelude, SpatialOS as the fabric the game was built on, inability to land a publisher despite saying the fans would not have to bear the burden of future funding, etc...
    [Deleted User]SBFordWellspringGdemamiAsm0deusKylerancraftseekerYashaX

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

SBFord said:

Pretty sure it's all the "unfair" coverage they get from here and Massively.   Facts be damned.  If you want to continue to bring up the small missteps(^1) or even allow forum posters to bring up such insignificance that you have indirectly requested to be unworthy of his exclusive access.

I mean, you actually allowed me to post this on your forums?  HERESY I SAY!  How dare anyone look at what the great Caspen said in the past!

^1) 2017 launch ETA, ElyriaMud, VoxElyria, Prelude, SpatialOS as the fabric the game was built on, inability to land a publisher despite saying the fans would not have to bear the burden of future funding, etc...
    I see no success at all for Soulbound studios with Caspian at the helm. They MAY and i say MAY only...release a VERY early pre-alpha at the end of 2019. I want some one to prove me wrong, i claim that they have absolutely nothing...all they are doing is stalling with community events no one cares about.
    SBFordGdemamiKyleran
    Torval said:
    The studios has no cash 
    Uh oh, I see a wrinkle in their PC Gamer article plan. :lol:
    no wrinkle, they will magically extend the nobility title for sale, they will add "exclusive" new items to the cash shop, spring currency sale, you name it...cuz thats what they are working on, cash shop items to make money over building anything mmo related.
    SBFord
    SBFord said:

I see no success at all for Soulbound studios with Caspian at the helm. They MAY and i say MAY only...release a VERY early pre-alpha at the end of 2019. I want some one to prove me wrong, i claim that they have absolutely nothing...all they are doing is stalling with community events no one cares about.
    Oh I think they will allow some of their most fervent backers into their "game" soon but it will be so far from complete it will be a joke.  They will move around, swing some weapons with some placeholder animations... and demonstrate "basic game loops". All stuff that any other small studio would have produced in the first year of development.  All the hard/revolutionary stuff will amazingly not be seen.   Despite this, his Ivory Tower will cheer about the incredible progress being made and throw more money at them.   They raised $5.6M so far, from about 20,000 accounts as the last I heard.  That's an average of almost $300 per.   I'm sure there is some more blood to squeeze out of those rocks.   Time to open the "Exposition Store" and let people buy some more items, resources, houses and transportation!!!!

Then again, I actually believed they would let people into VoxElyria last year around this time (expecting to see very basic functions dwarfed by the average minecraft server)...  So who knows.  

SBFordJamesGoblin

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    I remember a time when SOE did something similar over 'angry vets' on the SWG forum here. It forced MMORPG.com to start deleting threads, then when people started leaving the site over it they tried to make them happy by creating a separate forum for disgruntled players to post their grievances. All this in an effort to keep them out of the general forum. That "Veteran Refuge' forum blew up, leaving the general forum empty for sometime. Fast forward to today, the game no longer exists.

This isn't the same thing, but attacking game sites and their users is never a good idea.
    DakeruNorseGodGdemamitweedledumb99KyleranWaanbartoni33ConstantineMerusMendelGobstopper3Dand 1 other.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    edited January 2019
    If it wasn't for MMORPG.com and Massively's coverage, no one would've even known about his KS to begin with. 

Caspian has made his bed with his combined arrogance and failure to deliver on anything he says. 

When I first read Tims article, I hoped it might encourage him to fight harder to be better. Like when sports teams are called underdogs by the media going into a big game, the good ones use that as motivation to upset everyone's expectations and win. 

But apparently, it doesn't look like that's how Caspian is taking the criticism. :disappointed:
    SBFordGdemamiOctagon7711tweedledumb99KylerancraftseekerMendelYashaXMrMelGibsonRnjypsyand 1 other.
    --------------------------------------------
    edited January 2019
    SBFord said:

Oh man, this whole CoE ride has been some of the most absurd bullshit I've seen since that dickhead from Greed Monger's meltdown. I personally have nothing against CoE and wish them all the best, but just like many am very skeptical their promises can be kept or brought to fruition in a reasonable amount of time. One thing I think will not help the game idea to become reality is telling large internet communities that cover your type of game to go fuck themselves. That my friend is a seriously bad PR move. But whatever its his game and his choice to behave however he wishes. If CoE ever sees the light of day I'll give them a hearty cheer. If not I guess I'll just pour another bottle out for yet another dead "homie".

I would absolutely volunteer to interview him 1-1 and allow him to respond to the posts on here.  I’d even give him the questions in advance.  He just has to expect follow ups when he tries to deflect.  He should jump at the chance to prove his point.
    [Deleted User]Octagon7711

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    SBFord said:

I personally have nothing against CoE and wish them all the best. One thing I think will not help the game idea to become reality is telling large internet communities that cover your type of game to go fuck themselves. 
    I totally agree with these points. What's funny is that, until I read his rather snippy commentary about our site and community, I hadn't given CoE much thought other than news coverage recently about the server names and royalty thing. Other than that, Tim's column is the first one about CoE in a very, very long time.

Oh well, as I said, not going to worry overly much about it and hope that those who are behind this management style and the game itself get what they're hoping for in time.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]Octagon7711MadFrenchieMrMelGibson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    I recently had this discussion with @Erillion

This thread exposes an ongoing problem with gaming journalism.

In order to have access to studios, gaming journalist (Disclaimer: Not all of them) have to give glowing reviews or be sanctioned by the studio. And that's if  studios don't out-right pay for good reviews with their marketing budgets.

It should be the other way around. If a studio wants glowing reviews, then make a good game.

Studio Access = New Site Content = Site Traffic = Advertisements = $$$ = Motive

That's why gaming journalist reviews are not proof that a game is good. Is it good? Or did they say good things because the have to?
    Gdemami[Deleted User][Deleted User]TorrskMendelStrizzy12Rnjypsy
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
    TimEisen said:

SBFord said:

Oh man, this whole CoE ride has been some of the most absurd bullshit I've seen since that dickhead from Greed Monger's meltdown. I personally have nothing against CoE and wish them all the best, but just like many am very skeptical their promises can be kept or brought to fruition in a reasonable amount of time. One thing I think will not help the game idea to become reality is telling large internet communities that cover your type of game to go fuck themselves. That my friend is a seriously bad PR move. But whatever its his game and his choice to behave however he wishes. If CoE ever sees the light of day I'll give them a hearty cheer. If not I guess I'll just pour another bottle out for yet another dead "homie".

I would absolutely volunteer to interview him 1-1 and allow him to respond to the posts on here.  I’d even give him the questions in advance.  He just has to expect follow ups when he tries to deflect.  He should jump at the chance to prove his point.

The thing is...qna is done via email 90% of the time. In my experience when you ask fair/challenging questions you simply dont get a reply then you have to write a last minute column to fill the hole and despite that, despite a blatant dodge of your questions and unprofessionali you keep things fair and professional and continue to write honestly about their project...
    Oh no.  I volunteer to do it live so that he can embarrass me and point out all the untruths for everyone to see.  I'll take one for the team.

[Deleted User]WellspringMadFrenchieDakerutweedledumb99KyleranStrizzy12YashaXMrMelGibsonJamesGoblin

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    Well as much as people give SoTA crap for all its telethons and such. These guys make them look like saints. Atleast SoTA has something to show for all its work and is actually working with the money its making.  COE we haven't seen anything outside of some concept gameplay demos and a team thats blowing through money without any regards to how much they have in the bank.

GdemamiKyleranInteritusYashaXManWithNoTanJamesGoblin
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    SBFord said:

Oh well, as I said, not going to worry overly much about it and hope that those who are behind this management style and the game itself get what they're hoping for in time.
    Ha, well, I don't know if they will get what they are hoping for, but I suspect they will get back exactly what they are offering... lots of anger and resentment.

I've been saying this for a long time, but since it's the same old story, I'll say it again:

I would have more faith in this project if Caspian never spoke to the public, at all.  Every time he speaks, I get the image of a 5 year-old sitting in a daycare throwing blocks in a fit of rage.
    KyleranAnOldFartMendelMrMelGibson
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Tiller said:
    I remember a time when SOE did something similar over 'angry vets' on the SWG forum here. It forced MMORPG.com to start deleting threads, then when people started leaving the site over it they tried to make them happy by creating a separate forum for disgruntled players to post their grievances. All this in an effort to keep them out of the general forum. That "Veteran Refuge' forum blew up, leaving the general forum empty for sometime. Fast forward to today, the game no longer exists.

This isn't the same thing, but attacking game sites and their users is never a good idea.
    That's why Reddit and the Chans are doing so well.

I still like to come here too though. I just don't expect a serious discussion due to ROC and bias.

But hey, their site, their rules. Amiright?
    KyleranGdemami
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    They couldn't even make a MUD.
    SBFordSlapshot1188WellspringPhaserlightKylerancraftseekerStrizzy12YashaXSpottyGekko

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Nilden said:
    They couldn't even make a MUD.
    Hey thats unfair!

Of course they made the MUD.  Caspien even has the screenshots to prove it!

They just chose to UPGRADE it to minecraft-lite VoxElyria

Which sadly.. they canceled.   But no work was wasted!  The MUD and VOX actually were created to help save development time!  This is clearly demonstrated by their repeatedly demonstrated ability to miss ETAs by years...

SBFord[Deleted User]Lokero[Deleted User]KyleranPhaserlightStrizzy12YashaXJamesGoblin