Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I hope this game appeals to casual players

13»

Comments

• tweedledumb99tweedledumb99 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Wizardry said:
    IMO this is just a guy like you or me trying to survive in this world.I believe he might have a passion for gaming/design but i also believe he KNOWS he cannot deliver a passionate game design but only one that he hopes fits the budget and can pay him and his team a decent wage to survive.
    The early DAOC banter was imo a poor choice to try and hype up THIS game.You build a game and hype it based on merit and NOT on some past laurels.

Unless some god from the heavens touches this game it will at least imo never be even a 5/10.It will be a world,yeah we seen a thousand of those before with trees and water and rocks and it will be pvp,yep seen that b4 a thousand times as well.

If people THINK they need yet another game like this with a different skin,then all the power to you...enjoy.
    How are so many of your comments like this? Add almost nothing lol?
    KyleranAlmostLancelotAxxar
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    danwest58 said:
    Thane said:
    sorry, but NO. just no.
    this game isn't meant for casual gamers.

and we are allll happy about it.

you want a casual game, there are enough out there.
    this one is for pvp players, and quite frankly, pvp IS NOT CASUAL.
    Lets rephrase this.  PVP is not for players who whine and cry that they are casual players but really dont want to put more effort into the game other than smashing 1 button the entire time for 15 minutes and crying that they suck.   PVP can be a casual schedule game which people enjoy when they have free time and are willing to put the effort into play their role in a team.  They might not be the greatest player however can play a very vital role that they master the skill at over time.   

Like being a good crafter in this game is going to require effort.  Thinking you are going to grab a bunch of Iron and make the best stuff in game in a week and be rich is a pipe dream.  Only those crafters willing to figure out really good combos with their mats making very good gear will be the best crafters.   Everyone else that wants to do it as a past time will suck ass.  
    valid point, made all casuals pve players here, wasn't my intention :)

if you are a casual pvp player, it can aply to you. ofc, my bad. you will surely enjoy it more when spending some time tho =) 

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 648
    I think you need to define what a "casual" gamer is. Are you talking about 10 minutes a day, like a Facebook gamer, or do you mean 1-2 hours a day, like an adult-gamer with a full time job?

If you can't tell, I'm the latter. I love the concept of MMORPGs and played them for over 20 years now (hard to believe UO was the far back). Am I going to let a game get in the way of my professional career/life? No. Does it mean that I don't want to play it though? No.

DAoC was a great PvP style game because it was RvR... essentially a Team Death Match, with built in teams where "zerg" guilds huge groups of friends online 24/7, didn't matter as much since you had half of the teams already built into the game mechanic. Since everyone had the safety net of their realm to fall back on, it didn't matter if you played for 8 hours, or 1 hour a day, you'd still gain some benefit from the realm overall.

I see a lot of people commenting about "skill" and "hardcore" in terms of PvP, but get a sense that those players either didn't play the original DAoC, or forgot what the game play was like, if they did. The core game was one that actually welcomed a more casual play style; you could re-roll characters dozens of times over and not suffer in the long-term. You could go for a week without playing and not feel like you were hopelessly behind since your success as a realm could help carry you along.

So, should a 15 minute/day gamer be rewarded with equal footing in the game world as everyone with more time? There are already plenty of games that cater to that out there, no need for them to play this one. But a gamer willing to put money down and spend 5-10 hours a week in the game world should still be able to have some enjoyment from playing.

I'm thinking, that was the OP's concern... because, quite frankly, I don't see the "very casual" gamers being ones who put money down on this game to begin with.
    Scot
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I think its a matter of how hard you are willing to work at it, if a casual player can only put in 2 or 3 hours a week, then fine, but if you can put in more time then its like anything you put effort into, i play a fair amount of CS:GO, i am not great at it, but i know that if i were able to put more time into playing it, that my gameplay would improve, in the past i have done that and it does work but i do enjoy playing the game even though my K/D ratio is not great, so while i have no problems with casuals, i consider myself to be one mostly, i think most should by now understand that the more time you put into a game, the stronger you become, whether its from levels, equipment or just personal experience, which is valuable in its own right, either way the effort is more often than not, rewarded.
    I don't have a problem with dedicated players being able to defeat casual players with ease, because they have worked hard for it, i do however have a problem with new or casual players demanding an equality of outcome without regard for inidividual effort. :/
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    What if a studio built a niche game that didn't require 15 million players for the game to survive?

tweedledumb99
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/