Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone find MMORPG pointless?

When I play the typical MMORPG I always try to justify the repetition of the whole thing. Without a real simulation, the world building and just tangible effect on the game it just seems pointless.  I want to like some of these games.

Like why am I playing a game I know has generally boring gameplay just to max out a character.  After that what?  If I am there or not the game world doesn't care.  Nothing I do has a lasting effect.  

I mean you can get accomplishments but they're mostly empty me orientated to me.  We play in a whole other world with thousands to do the same thing we do in single player games.  Raiding to me is one of the worst places to encourage interaction.  As a part of the whole but not the majority. 
CryomatrixdeniterUngoodBananableScotAlBQuirkydelete5230TyranusPrimeAmaranthar[Deleted User]and 1 other.

Comments

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    edited January 2019
    Simple.  Don't play MMORPG's they are clearly not for you.  I prefer a multiplayer experience over single-player games in almost all cases.  There are only a small handful of single-player games that have held my attention for any length of time over the last 20 years.

EDIT:  Oh and all computer games regardless are a complete and utter pointless waste of time.   Its just a dopey hobby like all other time wasting dopey hobbies.
    [Deleted User]craftseekerSBFord
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I agree with OP, which is why i am likely to not play theme park mmos and only go for sandbox usually.
    TokkenAmaranthar
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    goboygo said:
    Simple.  Don't play MMORPG's they are clearly not for you.  I prefer a multiplayer experience over single-player games in almost all cases.  There are only a small handful of single-player games that have held my attention for any length of time over the last 20 years.

EDIT:  Oh and all computer games regardless are a complete and utter pointless waste of time.   Its just a dopey hobby like all other time wasting dopey hobbies.
    I still have the itch.  I just have nothing to scratch it on long term.  Most current MMORPG certainly aren't made for me for sure. Just enough to play minute. 

But when I say pointless I am not talking about the hobby.  I am talking about the feeling playing the game brings.  Just the lack of satisfaction or enjoyment in playing nor completion of the game. Evidence by speeding up leveling and lack of participation in end seems to point to me not being alone.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I only play the parts I like.  If I can't do that then I just skip that game.  So some MMOs I may level every class because I really enjoy the process for the most part.  Others, I may never make it to max because that part of the gameplay doesn't interest me but I'll still return from time to time to play the areas or zones I enjoy.
    SovrathSBFordAlBQuirkytweedledumb99

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    I only play the parts I like.  If I can't do that then I just skip that game.  So some MMOs I may level every class because I really enjoy the process for the most part.  Others, I may never make it to max because that part of the gameplay doesn't interest me but I'll still return from time to time to play the areas or zones I enjoy.
    Same here. If skipping something like a quest chain impedes progress then I will most likely stop. I do like combat and killing mobs so grinding is relaxing and doesn’t bother me.
    MrMelGibsonSBFordAlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Sovrath said:
    Same here. If skipping something like a quest chain impedes progress then I will most likely stop. I do like combat and killing mobs so grinding is relaxing and doesn’t bother me.
    Grinding mobs is relaxing, but there needs to be a palpable sense of danger, which is why i play hardcore mode on path of exile. It is a whole new level.

Give me an MMO theme park where your char is dead if you die once, ill be all over that.

Sovrath, you should try hardcore path of exile, it is fun. Only reason, i still play the game. 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    "Typical MMORPG"

Play an atypical one as long as it has a persistent universe.
    AlBQuirky

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    I've been an addicted mmorpg player all my life.  But I just can't get back to mmorpg.  It is too time consuming.  I don't want to grind any more.

I'm now playing ARPG as mmorpg replacement.  But I find the social aspect in ARPG really lacking.  Currently waiting for camelot unchained.  Want to do mindless RvR.
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    I have the same feeling, have had many years now.

I'd compare modern MMORPGs to orienteering sports where experience levels were like control points in orienteering. In the past you used to navigate in a jungle and dense forests with lots of hills and streams blocking your way making it tough to decide the best route to the next point. Nowadays there are roads and paths everywhere and you never have to go offroad anymore. Sometimes you even get a ride on a transportation of some kind and by paying some money you're teleported directly to the next control point.

Now let me ask, which one is more fun and interesting activity?
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    I got an infraction from the moderator of this site before... The OP clearly don't like wow or any game like wow or any themepark mmorpg.  I dont' know why I got the infraction.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    When I play the typical MMORPG I always try to justify the repetition of the whole thing. Without a real simulation, the world building and just tangible effect on the game it just seems pointless.  I want to like some of these games.

Like why am I playing a game I know has generally boring gameplay just to max out a character.  After that what?  If I am there or not the game world doesn't care.  Nothing I do has a lasting effect.  

I mean you can get accomplishments but they're mostly empty me orientated to me.  We play in a whole other world with thousands to do the same thing we do in single player games.  Raiding to me is one of the worst places to encourage interaction.  As a part of the whole but not the majority. 
    Well depends on the MMO.

But to be fair, all forms or "Play" are pointless, which is why I am such a vocal advocate against these demands by some player groups to always turn games into work or somehow manufacture them into jobs.

For example, when I played GW2, I really got into the fashion aspect of the game, and for a while they kept to their founding principal of "Fun First", then, for reasons I don't care to hear and will never respect, they went on some "hardcore" kick, made HoT, Raids and Up-ticked the difficulty of game.. and thus turned what was once a relaxing and fun game into work, and I quit.

But, see, if you play a game and it is not fun for you.. then you're not playing, you're working.

Just a thought to ponder.
    MrMelGibson
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Of course MMOs are pointless. All games are just a pointless way of wasting our time.

Imho it's a self-delusion to pretend that it'd have a point or that you'd be doing it for some deeper reason than to have fun and pass time.
    [Deleted User]SBFord

• BananableBananable Member UncommonPosts: 194
    edited January 2019
    "Anyone find MMORPG pointless?"

The more i play ESO the more i see how broken it is.

99.9% You play solo (even story!), then they tell you "heres group content" without providing group (because high lvl player can do it solo). Feels like singleplayer more and more. Then these "guilds" where everyone do their own and dont talk or constant blabbering about RL. (Some girl dont want to have kids, because she watched movie alien - thats her words, but her husband wants...here you go, i shared this IMPORTANT information with you, enjoy!)

Lore. Some people talking about it...while they all do all kind of crazy stuff all the time. (Nameless city guards are INVULNERABLE...but its me - silly nobody have to save the day, fight: bosses, gods, and help everyone.)

Trading. Thats.... Ive never seen trading system $#%& like this. Only maybe in Path of Exile, and Rift. First you need to join guild, then you need to pay FEE, to be able to trade. So you have to live in game, dont play and have fun, but become Devs slave. (Look at me i have 1m gold, who cares i WASTED 1000hrs, right?) Even GW2 f2p version is better, than this. Oh, ye, and if you wanna BUY something...thats even more confusing.

People. Most of the time they are so entitled...if you ask for help replies are gonna be either:
    mock, argue, ask to pay or to stfu. (I cant even simply talk with somebody without all that stuff). But, when they ask for help - dont even bother to say simple "ty" after you helped em. Even their time is presious, your time, help, items - not. The higher their lvl the worse.
    New players more friendly, but same time -  they do it wrong  and know that, but dont listen, when you try to suggest something. (I know i suck...WTF? You telling me i suck?! No, its you suck.)

Content and lvling. Every time i start new char - im excited to explore. But i dont have skills and gear. So i try to get max lvl fast as i can. But then i got bored, cause theres no progression anymore. Theres nothing that worth to play. All that CP lvling is boring and pointless...its just illusion so people wouldnt leave, cause lvl 50 is the end and theres nothing to do. And get max lvl is super easy - just daily dngs and dolmens, you dont even need to explore or quest.

At first i liked mmos because it was something new, that was enough to have fun (i played alone, but joined people when there was opportunity.) Then i found (normal? kind?) people that called me friend (usually its just 1-3 max), and we played together, till they left that game. I tried to join guilds to find new people, but guild system doesnt work, nobody cares about each other. Some even get pissed if newbie ask "stupid" questions. (It wasnt even me with my silliness)

So...

MMOS are just time killer....no matter if you play 1-3 hrs or 10+/day, thats it. Till it exist, then look for another.  *sigh*

AlBQuirkydelete5230UngoodMendel
    Vrika said:
    Of course MMOs are pointless. All games are just a pointless way of wasting our time.

Imho it's a self-delusion to pretend that it'd have a point or that you'd be doing it for some deeper reason than to have fun and pass time.
    Again, that's kind of stating the obvious.  But we are talking as the voice of gamers who game.  At least I hope we are here on a gaming forum.  
    Well depends on the MMO.
    But to be fair, all forms or "Play" are pointless, which is why I am such a vocal advocate against these demands by some player groups to always turn games into work or somehow manufacture them into jobs.
    For example, when I played GW2, I really got into the fashion aspect of the game, and for a while they kept to their founding principal of "Fun First", then, for reasons I don't care to hear and will never respect, they went on some "hardcore" kick, made HoT, Raids and Up-ticked the difficulty of game.. and thus turned what was once a relaxing and fun game into work, and I quit.
    But, see, if you play a game and it is not fun for you.. then you're not playing, you're working.
    Just a thought to ponder.

Yeah I think there is a divide of players who want work and those who want to enjoy a game as a world.  When I play single player games there is kind of clear goal. I play and the story generally has to be good or the gameplay makes up for it.

Online games drop landmine and other hindrance to stop everyone from reaching there goal.  The story is often just an obstacle and gameplay is degraded to compensate for online play.  It is unnatural thus almost work like grinds.   They want on going spending.  

AAAMEOW said:
    I got an infraction from the moderator of this site before... The OP clearly don't like wow or any game like wow or any themepark mmorpg.  I dont' know why I got the infraction.
    The genre would be a lot better if there was one WoW.  I liked playing WoW actually.  It was the clones that I disliked.  WoW was a great innovation for genre for content generation.  Problem is all the genre did was content generation and not focus on player interdependency or the world.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Post WoW I would say they are pretty worthless....The industry followed WoW's lead of making the games easy and trying to entertain us......Gone are the days wehre levels mattered and working with others to beat monsters. WHen they decided we should be able to solo almost everything, it pretty much changed it forever.
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    most games suck thats just the way it is get use to it buddy maximum profit for minimum effort.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Raquis said:
    most games suck thats just the way it is get use to it buddy maximum profit for minimum effort.
    No.  We can do better than this.  There are plenty of shining indie gems created for the sake of existence; consider these before succumbing to the above.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    MMORPG's used to be as much about the community as the gameplay. This aspect of the MMO is all but gone. 
    UngoodAlBQuirkySteelhelm
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • MargaretavilleMargaretaville Member UncommonPosts: 72

...Like why am I playing a game I know has generally boring gameplay just to max out a character.  After that what?  If I am there or not the game world doesn't care.  Nothing I do has a lasting effect..... 
    You are playing a game to consume your leisure time, not to max out your character. If you don't like the "race to endgame", don't do it, find something else within the game that you like. If there is nothing within the game that you like to do, it's time to move on.

Game worlds don't care, and will never care in the way you want them to. They are exactly that, game worlds. A computer simulation has no feelings, no emotions. When presented with a situation they will always respond in the manner they are programmed to respond. 

Developers talk about AI, but no game in existence, no matter what genre, has true AI. MMORPG combat is nothing more than math, the developer loads a mob up with hit and damage points, and the player outfits their character to overcome those numbers. Raid bosses just have higher numbers. Which is why "pay to win" exists, players can whip out the credit card, rather than gear grind, to overcome the numbers. It's just a continuous loop of "whack-a-mole" while seeking a bigger stick. It's really an irrelevant argument whether you "invest" time or money.

Regardless of the type of computer game, it's all a mirage, the developer wants you to step through the looking glass, fall down the rabbit hole, drink the potion, follow the White Rabbit to the Tea Party, where you will soon discover that the Mad Hatter and the March Hare are trying to stuff the Dormouse (you!) into the Teapot (the game world). Which is why fanbois and whales defending any game, whether MMO, Strategy, or Shooter, are hilarious.

My all time favorites are when the Dormouse pays for "early access" (aka early released, unpolished product) or agrees to throw money at crowdfunding based on promises in the dark (usually realizing after the fact that no, it was not good for them too). 

You just have to ask yourself whether it's worth your time and money?

After all, it's just another form of an entertainment rat hole to dump your money down.

(Back in the 1920s a reporter asked a US sailor on the Yangtze River what they spent their pay on. The sailor replied, "I spend some on liquor, some on women, and the rest I waste".)

Phaserlight
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    I don't think you ever truly understood what the point of an MMORPG was.

It was a place for you and your friends to gather and entertain yourselves.  The game itself was just a playground.  Whilst it has a host of things designed to spark your imagination, ultimately it was only as entertaining as you made it become.  

I liken it to going to a pub.  You can find alcohol anywhere.  You can drink it alone or with friends.  It's more fun with friends than alone.  The place may have dart boards, pool tables, music or sports tv.  All these things can also be had elsewhere.  Nothing in the place says you must shoot darts, or play pool, or whatever.  Those choices are all left up to you.  You do what entertains you.

It's like a child at a playground.  Lots of things to play on, but ultimately it requires you to want to do something in order to actually do it.  I don't see drill instructors running children through the jungle gym, do you?  What makes a child want to play?  I'll give you a hint... it's called their imagination.

At some point you gave up on your imagination and left it up to the drill instructor to guide you.  You no longer saw killing 3 rats as fun because you saw it as a chore.  The whole game became a list of things that you must do instead of what you wanted to do.  At that point, they ceased to be MMORPGs.  

MMORPGS were never about getting to max level.  They were just a playground for you to entertain yourself in and make friends.  They aren't what you want them to be because you are the one who makes them the way they are.  No one ever said you had to have the highest DPS... you did.  No one ever said you even had to hit max level... you did.   No one ever said you even had to do quests... you did.  It was all just a playground and you demanded some drill instructor to come in and march you about the place because using your own imagination was just too difficult a task.  So they aren't fun because you make them that way.  They aren't social because you make them that way.  They're toxic because you make them that way.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.  Games aren't fun, people make games fun.  You assumed guns kill because they are guns and games are fun because they are games. 

Reality check my friend... they are only what you make of them.  I suggest you go back to some old MUDs... game worlds that required you to imagine what they were in order for you to see them.  You've been so spoiled by visuals and sound that now you expect them to be your imagination, not the other way around.

UngoodSovrath
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    OP should play Darkfall.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    I loved playing mmorpg, I genuinely enjoyed doing group dungeons and raids, I even did late night dungeons and raid runs without ever caring about rewards. It wasn't about wasting time, it was about doing something fun.

Problem now is that to reach that point I would have to invest lots of time doing things I dislike doing. It wasn't all sunshine and rainbows doing it the first time but back then it was all new, now its mindless stuff to reach a point where I might enjoy my time in the game.

I ended up getting a new gaming hobby while I wait for something that get me back to online gaming.
    Palebane
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
    Shaigh said:
    I loved playing mmorpg, I genuinely enjoyed doing group dungeons and raids, I even did late night dungeons and raid runs without ever caring about rewards. It wasn't about wasting time, it was about doing something fun.

Problem now is that to reach that point I would have to invest lots of time doing things I dislike doing. It wasn't all sunshine and rainbows doing it the first time but back then it was all new, now its mindless stuff to reach a point where I might enjoy my time in the game.

I ended up getting a new gaming hobby while I wait for something that get me back to online gaming.
    I really feel that for sure.  

I always questioned if developers couldn't see a general dislike for the grinds or saw but weren't allowed to do anything different.  Maybe the saw and didn't know anything different and rooted in specific gaming principles.  

Ungood