Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bungie Reaffirms Its Commitment to the Destiny Series in a Post-Activision World - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageBungie Reaffirms Its Commitment to the Destiny Series in a Post-Activision World - MMORPG.com

In the first "This Week at Bungie" newsletter since the breakup with Activision, Franchise Director Luke Smith reaffirms the company's commitment to the Destiny series going forward. "We created the universe and we hold its future entirely in our hands. The vast majority of the team is hard at work envisioning future experiences, enemies, and ways to play the Guardian you've been building since 2014. We're going to keep doing that." he writes.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I like the storylines this game has which is why I play it. Once the new story is played by all my characters I'm usually done as I'm not into all the hoops one has to jump through to get the latest weapons or max level.

Pros: Good stories, fun fast paced combat.
    Cons: Tedious grinding to reach current max level and acquire the latest weapons and gear.
    infomatz

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• SupaMutantSupaMutant Member UncommonPosts: 136

I like the storylines this game has which is why I play it. Once the new story is played by all my characters I'm usually done as I'm not into all the hoops one has to jump through to get the latest weapons or max level.

Cons: Tedious grinding to reach current max level and acquire the latest weapons and gear.

Yeah! Once you do get max level and acquire the latest weapons and gear, they'll announce DESTINY 3 WOOOHOOO!!!. No, no you do not carry anything over. All reset all fresh start.

I still remember someone asking this question: "Why aren't they making a World of Warcraft 2?"
    Pher0ciousMr.Gutsy
    5|_|©|< /\/\¥ |)!©|< /\/\!|<3|3
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

Yeah! Once you do get max level and acquire the latest weapons and gear, they'll announce DESTINY 3 WOOOHOOO!!!. No, no you do not carry anything over. All reset all fresh start.

I still remember someone asking this question: "Why aren't they making a World of Warcraft 2?"

I agree with both statements above. Destiny 2 was a good game while it lasted but became really shallow once you got through all the story. For me and the 2 others that played the game, it was basically get on once a week and play a couple of hours and then say good night. Boring. Unfortunate considering all that could be there. And, like The Division or the Battlefield or COD games, I am not into waiting for the next "installment" in what is basically the same old routine.
    Even MMO's have fallen into the same routine and do not know of any fresh ideas. Just rinse and repeat boring stuff.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• hammercrush1984hammercrush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Clem, Grakata!
    unfilteredJWrojoArcueid
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited January 2019

<snip>

?

First D1 to D4 were part of the deal between Bungee and Activision - so a D3 was always planned. The split between the two companies means that going forward Bungee will no longer be supporting D2. So this announcement is - essentially - Bungee announcing that D3 is going to be made.

The unknown is whether the differences between D1 and D2 were instigated by Bungee - or were they introduced at the behest of AB - presumably to (try and) generate more money. 
    Beezerbeez
  • trojan805trojan805 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    sadly I think its a little to late, once Anthem hits... Destiny 2 will fade away, Bungie will have to get Destiny 3 out before people forget it, because Anthem is looking pretty cool right now... but I mean unless they add loot boxes which will cause a sh$t storm for EA again
  • trojan805trojan805 Member UncommonPosts: 2

Torval said:

gervaise1 said:

<snip>

?

First D1 to D4 were part of the deal between Bungee and Activision - so a D3 was always planned. The split between the two companies means that going forward Bungee will no longer be supporting D2. So this announcement is - essentially - Bungee announcing that D3 is going to be made.

The unknown is whether the differences between D1 and D2 were instigated by Bungee - or were they introduced at the behest of AB - presumably to (try and) generate more money. 

Doesn't really matter to me. They made a decision to get in bed with Microsoft and then ActiBlizz when both publishers were at their worst just so they could get AAA money and marketing. That says something about them. Even if AB pushed them to make separate games, they were complicit if not enthusiastic. If the character of their development changes from publisher to publisher that is also telling. They don't get a pass from me. We'll see what they come up with but I don't actually care if they close shop or move on at this point. I seriously doubt they have what it takes to make a really good game at this point.

when they were with Microsoft they made Halo which is in the games hall of fame, and capitalized with halo 2 and halo 3, I personally didn't like the rest... but the microsoft, bungie marriage was great for awhile
    [Deleted User]
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Hopefully Bungie have learned a few lessons from Destiny 2 and dont repeat them when they make Destiny 3, because now they have nobody else to blame if things go pear shaped. :/
    Scot
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    trojan805 said:
    sadly I think its a little to late, once Anthem hits... Destiny 2 will fade away, Bungie will have to get Destiny 3 out before people forget it, because Anthem is looking pretty cool right now... but I mean unless they add loot boxes which will cause a sh$t storm for EA again
    I don't think they have anything to worry about with Anthem, unless there is some kind of miracle i don't think the game is going to do all that well, current examples of gameplay have been underwhelming to say the least. I most certainly would not want Bungie to be 'influenced' by Anthem, they need to really concentrate on the good things that were in Destiny 1 & 2 and learn from the mistakes they made in both those games too, moreso for Destiny 2, if they can do that, then just maybe Destiny 3 will be a great game. ;)
    rojoArcueid[Deleted User]
  • neonblastneonblast Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Well, now Bungie has no excuse if it fail. Before ppl said " Activision is interfering with game development in order to squeeze more money ".
    But now, when the whole thing is in Bungie's hands, there is no excuse for failing. Considering the whole feedback they have from consoles and PC players.

As for D3, I'm not a fan of sequels. Starting over and over again, from scratch.... My WoW chars are 11 years old, and despite the fact I don't play the game as much as I did, it's always awesome to see so much history and memories beeing still there despite that a decade past since I played the game, for the first time.

The only time I liked a sequel(s), was with Mass Effect series, and that was only because I was able to play the ME1 chars in ME2 and after that, in ME3. For me at least, continuity is very important because I want the things I build to last as long as possible, instead of being erased for some odd reasons.
  • AnchorixAnchorix Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Well, now Bungie has no excuse if it fail. Before ppl said " Activision is interfering with game development in order to squeeze more money ".
    But now, when the whole thing is in Bungie's hands, there is no excuse for failing. Considering the whole feedback they have from consoles and PC players.

As for D3, I'm not a fan of sequels. Starting over and over again, from scratch.... My WoW chars are 11 years old, and despite the fact I don't play the game as much as I did, it's always awesome to see so much history and memories beeing still there despite that a decade past since I played the game, for the first time.

The only time I liked a sequel(s), was with Mass Effect series, and that was only because I was able to play the ME1 chars in ME2 and after that, in ME3. For me at least, continuity is very important because I want the things I build to last as long as possible, instead of being erased for some odd reasons.
    I was hooked when I thought it was a 10 year journey over three games with character continuity, like the poster above I like the attachment to characters I've worked hard on.

I do still play as I like the lore and universe, but it could of been so much more..

Lurking in the shadows of MMORPG.com since 2004

Played M59, EQ, DAOC, Ultima....etc etc.. the list is almost endless