Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Is it Wise to Trust Glint? - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageGuild Wars 2: Is it Wise to Trust Glint? - MMORPG.com

This week’s Guild wars 2 column is all about speculation regarding the most recent story episode All or Nothing. This is your warning massive spoilers follow.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    edited January 2019
    1 ) Why do people think the Ascension mentioned is anything else but GW1 Ascension which finished by the character being teleported in Glint's lair?

2 ) If Glint couldn't see past the day she died, how could she have seen stuff past her own death? She died before GW2 story even started. Saying that, Glint is not the only prophet in the setting...

3 ) Should you trust Glint? Yes, but no. The latest episode told us from where she and Aurene got their prophetic abilities: Kalkratorik. He knows, but Glint didn't bother telling us until the last minute and most players don't seems to have catched on. Not even when NPCs started to say he was there too soon at the end of the episode...
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited January 2019
    I think it's worth noting that Glint is a vindictive character. Her iconic Flameseeker Prophecies were nothing more than a self-fulfilling means to the complete extinction of the Mursaat, a race which betrayed her own servants/masters - the Forgotten. It was genocide by proxy, with the GW1 heroes as the tools. And a lot of innocent humans met a fate worse than death to achieve that end.

Glint is very much allied with (or willing to make use of) the allied races, but if Anet remember who she is and is writing her in character, there is always an ulterior motive there. Whether it's simply vengeance on the dragon that enslaved and killed her, or something greater, Glint wants something and is willing to make any sacrifice to obtain that (including her own children).
    Post edited by Aeander on
    ThupliparpinMYTHGuy
  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079
    I think Aurene absorbed Palawa Joko's ability to resurrect himself when she ate him. She'll come back to life eventually thanks to that.
    ArleeThuplitirwen
    edited January 2019
    I'm not sure which direction they intend on taking it.

There has to be some lasting consequence of this chapter. If Aurene comes back to life unscathed and unaffected, this incredible chapter was nothing more than a cheap emotional gut-punch. 

There has to be a cost. Maybe she stays dead. Maybe we tragically reforge her body into a new, more powerful Dragonsblood Spear. Maybe she comes back, wounded and incapable of directly helping us fight the dragon. Maybe she's only capable of replacing a single elder dragon or cannot even completely do so with some (but not catastrophic) damage to the world when Kralkatorrik dies. Maybe, like Glint, she can't directly provide any help at all and can only provide guidance from the Mists, perhaps pointing us in the direction of a new egg or allied dragon like Kuunavang over in Cantha.

There are so many ways this story could go right now.
    BeezerbeezThupli
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Glint is a mastermind.  Using the other races to destroy all her competition so she can become the new supreme.  Working with the other races she will know their next moves before they do.  Well played Glint, well played indeed...

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited January 2019
    Glint is a mastermind.  Using the other races to destroy all her competition so she can become the new supreme.  Working with the other races she will know their next moves before they do.  Well played Glint, well played indeed...
    It actually wouldn't surprise me at all. It's totally in character for her after the way she engineered the genocide of the treacherous Mursaat.

Also "nice job breaking it, hero" is blatantly Anet's favorite trope. They're practically addicted to using it, to the degree that it's actually more surprising when our actions don't directly result in some evil gaining power, damage being done to the world, or some other form of us fucking things up worse than they'd be if we did nothing. It would be so fitting if Glint's Legacy ends up being our ultimate mistake.
    Post edited by Aeander on
  • Lumiere123Lumiere123 Member UncommonPosts: 62
    edited January 2019
    Hmm at the moment I have not chance to play new DLC, but... there still some words from the last which resonate in my mind:

"Do not let them or yourself forget what you are" (Narrated by Vlast)

in last DLC this meaning was not explained and I believe in new DLC there will be such a explanation.
    Because when I try some find meaning behind it, still this come to my mind:
    - she is a Dragon

I cannot find some deep meaning, but something is still hidden for me behind those words.

Glint or Vlast is something hiding for us in those words, but what ??
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    I think in general glint is benevolent towards humanity and wanting the world to survive. She did die for the cause, after all.

I think there was a deeper, smarter play that just happened with Aurenes sacrifice. The game is to outsmart Kralk, and glint is up to the task, imo. Aurene was a step in the puzzle.
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    I think the question on the minds of the previous players and current players looking at this is, is it wise to trust Arenanet. What exactly has Arenanet done for the players to improve their game?
    ThupliparpinArlee
    I think the question on the minds of the previous players and current players looking at this is, is it wise to trust Arenanet. What exactly has Arenanet done for the players to improve their game?
    You mean other than 'salvage all,' 'deposit all,' autoloot, fashion wardrobe, rune & sigil salvaging, improved underwater combat, countless other quality of life improvements, hundreds of dollars worth of free content, and the best implementation of mounts ever to be seen in a MMO?
    Octagon7711tirwenThupliparpinArleekalcaMardukk
  • asmalsaadiasmalsaadi Member UncommonPosts: 3
    And don’t forget she has Balthazar power.
    Octagon7711
  • parpinparpin Member UncommonPosts: 220
    i think they should let a Aurene remain dead, and commander(player) had their first taste of defeat, now they can introduce another solution not involving glint, let just say glint and her children failed but this failure will open new doors, and it will lead to a better solution, that would be awesome if they go with defeat story and now finding new way rather than "oh wait it is not defeat aurene is back somehow" that would be BS, also in all mmos i have played the players are always victorious and this is first time i have seen player mess up badly and get his/her ass kicked, it is very unique story telling in mmos in my opinion (even in most single player games), they must keep the defeat and go for another way.
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081

azarhal said:

... most players don't seems to have catched on.

The past tense of "catch" it "caught."
  • ArleeArlee Member UncommonPosts: 154

And don’t forget she has Balthazar power.

Yes I was thinking about that as well, but I'm not sure how that factors in. Granted I'm sure we don't have any idea of Balthazar's full power abilities... though... thinking about it Balth could step in and out of the Mists at will and both Aurene and Kralkatorrik got some of his power so maybe that's why both of them can do that now?