Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crowfall Devs Detail 'The Road to Alpha' in New Blog - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageCrowfall Devs Detail 'The Road to Alpha' in New Blog - MMORPG.com

In a new blog post on the Crowfall site, Creative Director J. Todd Coleman details the "Road to Alpha", numerically v6.0. Currently, the pre-alpha version 5.8 is live on servers and Coleman writes that it has been "VERY well-received" and has resulted in "both increased player concurrency and a noticeable uptick in new players".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• kryntokkryntok Member UncommonPosts: 77
    I remember Hiveleader playing this game about 2 years ago. I thought oh maybe it will release within a year.....now I see they are on the road to alpha....yeah
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    Its permanent alpha state is starting to resemble Star Citizen scam.
    alloin

Thank you for your time!

• boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    Ive got some friends playing this fairly actively. They are making progress and now have persistent seasons, siege wars happening, guilds, alliances, ect. 

But I too just had my jaw drop when i realized they are still in pre alpha. I am waiting for beta before i try the game out. 
    Gdemami
  • bamwallabamwalla Member UncommonPosts: 221
    Loooong and winding rooooooad
  • boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    Torval said:
    The road to alpha? I got the impression this game was leaving alpha and heading into beta and early access by the way some recent backers and articles talked about it. Seriously? The road to alpha? /smh
    That is the impression I was getting as well, that beta was looming. 
    [Deleted User]
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    As someone who has been playing this over the last two years, progress is huge. And CF Alpha does not resemble other Alpha games, before the last update it already felt like more of a Beta test and I haven’t yet tried the latest patch. This is no Atlas, CU or CS Alpha, or Legends of Aria, Project Genom, the Repopulation etc. etc.

It is also MUCH smoother, more intuitive and more fun then something like SotA. Out of all crowdfunded MMORPGs this one is leading the pack, by a longshot. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    UngoodOzmodan[Deleted User]tweedledumb99KyleranRelampagoetlar
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,986
    Torval said:
    The road to alpha? I got the impression this game was leaving alpha and heading into beta and early access by the way some recent backers and articles talked about it. Seriously? The road to alpha? /smh
    You haven't kept up with the times.  All the cool projects today are in PRE-ALPHA!

Also, thinking that Early Access has some bearing on whether something is pre-alpha, alpha, beta or gold is really old school thinking.  Today we have evolved and are willing to buy concepts and ideas as Early Access because of FOMO.

Soon we will have PRE-Early Access games.  In this stage, we purchase games BEFORE they are announced.   We just know that developer XYZ will eventually make a game so we get in early on that concept before they even think of it.

What a deal!

[Deleted User][Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

TimEisen said:
    I wonder why developers don't put accurate dates on their Kickstarter launch advertisements.
    They can only be as accurate as their Gantt Charts!

[Deleted User][Deleted User]

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    boris20 said:
    Torval said:
    They use the terms differently. The game's been in a state where most MMO devs would have called it alpha for a couple of years already, and now it's nearing a state where many devs would soon call it beta.

In reality it's more finished than any other crowdfunded game in development at the moment.
    lahnmir[Deleted User]QuizzicalKyleranWaan

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    #1 You can't as the developer say your game has been very well received,that is something only the players can say.

#2 I have forever not figured out what this game is doing or whom it is selling to.It is like we have characters and we can do damage,ummm yeah and?Oh and we have this castle idea we hope we can build a bigger cash shop based off it.

IMO you can't sell game like this,i personally wouldn't do it,i would have no confidence in selling it.

"accurate dates ?"You can't put an accurate date on a development cycle,you have no idea of what is to come from bugs to ideas that simply don't work or you might discover new ways to do them better.What SHOULD be released from ANY game is the development stages,what EXACTLY the game is going to deliver otherwise my assumption will always be the team is just "winging it"similar to Star Citizen.
    [Deleted User]Ozmodantweedledumb99Octagon7711TacticalZombehWaan

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    The major difference between COE and this game is that they have funding.  From what I have read the backers are happy with the progress.  Something that is absent in COE.

Arkade99[Deleted User]KyleranTacticalZombeh
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    lahnmir said:
    As someone who has been playing this over the last two years, progress is huge. And CF Alpha does not resemble other Alpha games, before the last update it already felt like more of a Beta test and I haven’t yet tried the latest patch. This is no Atlas, CU or CS Alpha, or Legends of Aria, Project Genom, the Repopulation etc. etc.

It is also MUCH smoother, more intuitive and more fun then something like SotA. Out of all crowdfunded MMORPGs this one is leading the pack, by a longshot. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    This is true.. I have played "Released" games that were not as good as Crowfall's Pre-Alpha.

Outside Polish and maybe fleshing out their systems, this game is built.

But, for as much as I like this game, I am going to be blunt, the balance is off the charts horrible, if they don't find a way to work that out before their official launch, this game is looking to be a flash in the pan kind of game. It will get a burst of people to come in, play for a bit, realize that the balance ifs horra-bad, and move on to something else, in short order.

You cannot have a PvP focused game with poor balance and expect it to survive.
    KyleranOctagon7711
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Ozmodan said:
    The major difference between COE and this game is that they have funding.  From what I have read the backers are happy with the progress.  Something that is absent in COE.

It's not just a difference in funding. COE has wasted a lot or resources on abandoned ventures with SpatialOS and ElyriaMUD.
    KyleranOzmodan

• Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    Ungood said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    This is true.. I have played "Released" games that were not as good as Crowfall's Pre-Alpha.

But, for as much as I like this game, I am going to be blunt, the balance is off the charts horrible, if they don't find a way to work that out before their official launch, this game is looking to be a flash in the pan kind of game. It will get a burst of people to come in, play for a bit, realize that the balance ifs horra-bad, and move on to something else, in short order.

The balance is bad, but I'm confident that it will be addressed, and I say that as someone who plays a class that's on the wrong side of that balance :)
    tweedledumb99
    Arkade99 said:
    Ungood said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

The balance is bad, but I'm confident that it will be addressed, and I say that as someone who plays a class that's on the wrong side of that balance :)
    So.. basically you are not playing a Hamster, Confessor or Assassin.. got it.. 
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Wizardry said:
    #1 You can't as the developer say your game has been very well received,that is something only the players can say.

Allow me then you put your worries to rest.

Yes you can. Here is how it works, If your players have expressed to you that they liked your game so far, than, you as a the developer can say it was well received.

Wizardry said:
    #2 I have forever not figured out what this game is doing or whom it is selling to.It is like we have characters and we can do damage,ummm yeah and?Oh and we have this castle idea we hope we can build a bigger cash shop based off it.

It's Realms vs Realms warfare. That is their demographic and target market, if that is not what you want to play, than this is not the game for you. 

The fact that you are struggling with that concept, pretty much means this was not designed for someone like you, just not going to be the kind of game you will enjoy.

Nothing wrong with that, different strokes for different folks, I hope you find a game that is more your liking.
    tweedledumb99Kyleran

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    I agree with others who have said that this game is in the best shape of all the crowdfunded games but some of those same people say the game is mostly done, so why all the delay? The game currently works better than other games I tried in closed beta and can't wait to finally play when it comes out if it ever does. I miss the good old days when games had release dates.
    [Deleted User]Octagon7711
    BruceYee said:
    I agree with others who have said that this game is in the best shape of all the crowdfunded games but some of those same people say the game is mostly done, so why all the delay? The game currently works better than other games I tried in closed beta and can't wait to finally play when it comes out if it ever does. I miss the good old days when games had release dates.
    Because it's not mostly done.  They just recently started making the actual GAME.  Prior to this it was the engine and the mechanics.  

I have hopes for the game, but no... it's not ready for release yet.  Not even very close.  But the backend work is mostly done so we should see rapid progress now.

GdemamiKyleranTacticalZombehtweedledumb99

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Wizardry said:
    Actually, I believe that they have just demonstrated that they can say it.  Whether they should or not is a different matter entirely.

Really, though, their claim is much narrower:  version 5.8 is much more popular than previous versions.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    3dom said:
    Its permanent alpha state is starting to resemble Star Citizen scam.
    18 more months...

Its always about 18 more months until launch. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Vrika said:
    boris20 said:
    Torval said:
    They use the terms differently. The game's been in a state where most MMO devs would have called it alpha for a couple of years already, and now it's nearing a state where many devs would soon call it beta.
    This.

Don't get too caught up in the nomenclature.  If another developer would call the game in its current state a "beta", that wouldn't make it any further along or more polished than it is now.

If anything, I think that the modesty in describing the state of the game is a whole lot better than calling a game in the same state a beta and trying to get people to pay money now while giving the impression that launch is imminent.
    Waan
    Ungood said:
    Arkade99 said:
    Ungood said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

So.. basically you are not playing a Hamster, Confessor or Assassin.. got it.. 
    Don't get too caught up in the play balance of a pre-alpha game.  Unless you're stupid about how you code a game, it's easy to tweak numbers up or down later to fix play balance.

There's no sense in putting too much work into that early on while major mechanics are completely missing from the game.  Even if you put in all of the effort to get play balance perfect now, adding new features later will completely break it and you'll have to do all that effort over again.  Once you've got all of the major mechanics that you want for launch in place and working, then it's time to focus on play balance.  But they're not there yet.

It's possible that the play balance will still be a disaster at launch.  But putting too much focus on it this early would be a waste of effort that would either delay the launch or mean cutting more important things out.
    TacticalZombehUngoodtweedledumb99
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Quizzical said:
    Vrika said:
    boris20 said:
    Torval said:
    This.

Don't get too caught up in the nomenclature.  If another developer would call the game in its current state a "beta", that wouldn't make it any further along or more polished than it is now.

If anything, I think that the modesty in describing the state of the game is a whole lot better than calling a game in the same state a beta and trying to get people to pay money now while giving the impression that launch is imminent.
    OK, let's forget nomenclature, and focus on what state of completion the game is towards its MMP, minimally marketable product.

From this excerpt it would appear they really don't have this well defined and are basically just continuing development until a lack of funding forces them into release.

"As with every MMO, at some point you have to “call it”; you decide on the specific list of features that you want to have finished (and polished) at launch and what will need to come later. Inevitably, there will be more things that you want than you can possibly fit on the schedule… which means that we will have to make some hard choices on what comes now and what comes later."
    GdemamiOzmodan

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

BruceYee said:

Because it's not mostly done.  They just recently started making the actual GAME.  Prior to this it was the engine and the mechanics.  

I have hopes for the game, but no... it's not ready for release yet.  Not even very close.  But the backend work is mostly done so we should see rapid progress now.

So when people are saying the game plays better than a lot of games that have launched or are in beta they really mean the combat plays better. As most of the game hasn't been done yet which explains why it's so good yet not ready to launch or in beta.
    Kyleran

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey