Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fast Travel - Class spells only?

shenfreyshenfrey Member UncommonPosts: 114
I want Fast Travel to be like classic WoW, conventional travel such as boats, trains and automated flying animals, and then less conventional, portals only which are rare and maybe generated by some classes? 

I dunno, but I really found this to be a massive deal socially in WoW and ever since we could just fly anywhere it killed any sense of community. 

Is Pantehon going Pantheon going for this approach apprach? 

Comments

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    edited December 2018
    Typically an mmo starts out with limited travel to make the world seem huge, and then with added expacs the world becomes too big for that and they relax the restrictions.  Then people moan because "We had to walk uphill both ways in the snow", not remembering the world was much smaller then.
    KyleranScotOctagon7711tweedledumb99Eronakis
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    svann said:
     "We had to walk uphill both ways in the snow", not remembering the world was much smaller then.
    I'm pretty sure you cannot walk uphill both ways, snow or no snow.
    Octagon7711kitarad

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• bng28bng28 Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Amathe said:
    svann said:
     "We had to walk uphill both ways in the snow", not remembering the world was much smaller then.
    I'm pretty sure you cannot walk uphill both ways, snow or no snow

I'm pretty sure if your house and your destination were both on separate mountains, you would have to go uphill both ways. so...
    KyleranSovrath
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Traditional travel is usually fun when you first start a game but after the one thousandth time tends to get tedious, especially if you have a lot of alts.  SWG started off with players having to run everywhere on foot as there were no speeders, only a few planetary and local transport ships, and it was fun but great when speeders and instant transports came to the game much later.  I'm fine with a slow progression of transports.
    Amathe

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Traditional travel is usually fun when you first start a game but after the one thousandth time tends to get tedious, especially if you have a lot of alts.  SWG started off with players having to run everywhere on foot as there were no speeders, only a few planetary and local transport ships, and it was fun but great when speeders and instant transports came to the game much later.  I'm fine with a slow progression of transports.
    if the traveling have a meaning its good thing, don't matter if you have alts or not, serious a MMO shouldn't be made thinking on you having a alt, you should have only one char and play with him, because anything should be done with him for the adventure you can get, I still belive UO had this right, to fast travel to anywhere you had to have a mage to write a rune when he is on that spot, and then use a spell to travel there, and a high level one at that, but also we could see how would be the lvl of magic on such world and see how it would mean to use it.

but having the tradition mean of traveling is all nice and good, hell I would even consider since theya re mentioning caravans, have a player and a npc caravan, with could work like a quest in with you could get ambushed/ attacked by players or npcs, with could also make a good use for profit based on tranporting goods.

but I doubt anyone would go that far
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    FFXI had white mages making cash just porting people, it was cool and created a community ran economy.  Then there was the airships that ran on an actual schedule, cool but what did you do?  Sit and wait. In the end convenience is king.  You just want to get where you are going not take forever to get to your destination.   
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    shenfrey said:
    I dunno, but I really found this to be a massive deal socially in WoW and ever since we could just fly anywhere it killed any sense of community.
    THAT was the only thing that bothered you in WoW that killed the community ?!?!?

And we had a community just fine without a single class fast travel spell in Vanguard, thank you very much.
  • elminseselminses Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Amathe said:
    svann said:
    I'm pretty sure you cannot walk uphill both ways, snow or no snow.
    Actually you can, my bus picked me up on top of the hill in the morning, I lived in the middle of the hill, and it dropped me off on the bottom of the hill in the afternoon....uphill both ways..
    WellspringAmathesvannTamanous