Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Second Ashes of Creation Apocalypse Open Beta to Start January 24th

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageSecond Ashes of Creation Apocalypse Open Beta to Start January 24th

Intrepid Studios has announced a second open beta event for Ashes of Creation Apocalypse, the company's take on the battle royale formula. The event will start on January 24th at 10:00 am Pacific / 1:00 pm Eastern and will wrap up on January 27th.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BlueThunderBearBlueThunderBear Member RarePosts: 228
    As much as Id like to see the AoC MMO I have to say that playing through the last beta weekend for the Battle Royale that I would rather spend this weekend getting an appendectomy without being anesthetized than to do another round of Apocalypse.
    Strizzy12PuReDusTLumiere123Slapshot1188CryomatrixKylerangastovski1GaladournacidbloodWaanand 5 others.
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    I wonder if the backers are happy that their money and development time that was promised for the MMO is being spent on a BR game? Any BR game not named Fortnite (and to a much lesser extent PUBG) is not going to make it, esp. now after the clear genre champ has long since been crowned. We all remember what happened when companies tried to copy LoL and DOTA2 when the MOBA craze was full on. Can anyone name me a MOBA developed after those two that was even remotely successful? Maybe HoTS. Maybe. But that's it, and even with the power and money of Blizzard behind it, HoTS struggled and is now pretty much in maintenance mode. Every other MOBA failed and turned into a quick cash grab, which is what we are seeing with BR's right now.
    GdemamiLumiere123GaladournScotSinsaiAlomarpetersnowzSolancerAzaron_Nightblade[Deleted User]

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• Gunnery53Gunnery53 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Ginaz said:
    Can anyone name me a MOBA developed after those two that was even remotely successful?
    Heroes of Newerth was quite a succes. 
  • Hashcow101Hashcow101 Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Stop releasing this BR crap and actually develop a game people asked for. Was excited for this game now just getting mad that nobody listens to their customers.
    xmentyGdemamiScotAlomar

"May Your Head Explode And Blood Swell From The Wound"
    - Hashcow

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Gunnery53 said:
    Ginaz said:
    Can anyone name me a MOBA developed after those two that was even remotely successful?
    Heroes of Newerth wasn't developed after DotA2.

Anyway, Smite released after LoL and DotA2 and is very successful.
    Sinsai
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    edited January 2019
    Wish they would delete the BR crap from existence. It's a Bane to Gaming and nothing more than Cash Grabs.
    GdemamiScotSinsai

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    It'll be funny when 'testing' isn't just testing and ends up being the actual game in the end.
    PhaserlightSinsai
  • jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237
    so glad i din't trow my money at this !
    Alomar
  • Lumiere123Lumiere123 Member UncommonPosts: 62
    edited January 2019
    Always love to watch how gaming company kills herself :-)))
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

Albatroes said:

It'll be funny when 'testing' isn't just testing and ends up being the actual game in the end.

They already announced that the Battle Royale will be a stand-alone product...
    Alomar

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Gunnery53 said:
    Ginaz said:
    Never heard of it.
    PhryetlarPhaserlightSinsaiTacticalZombehAzaron_Nightblade

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Aeander said:
    Gunnery53 said:
    Ginaz said:
    Heroes of Newerth wasn't developed after DotA2.

Anyway, Smite released after LoL and DotA2 and is very successful.
    Smite I know.  

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Wait, second beta event? How did the first one go, I've read almost nothing about it.

Oh yeah, that's right, probably all on streamers and Discord....

Communication is almost dead.....

:D
    PhrySinsaiSolancer

Albatroes said:

They already announced that the Battle Royale will be a stand-alone product...
    With planned "expansions" such as castle seiging, can't forget them right?

This game is being managed by an evil genius, wonder if he lives on a small island in the Pacific? 

PhryPhaserlightSinsai

• GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    What was your average wait time to get into a game. i was in queue for about 4min and was like nah im good.

That might sound impatient of me but for BR games my expectation is for the games to start quick.
    Gdemami
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited January 2019
    Kyleran said:
    Gunnery53 said:
    Ginaz said:
    Never heard of it.
    Heroes of Newerth was basically originally intended to be what DotA2 is now. Icefrog, the then and (I think?) current lead designer on DotA/DotA2, partnered with S2 Games to essentially recreate DotA with non-Blizzard-owned assets on a standalone engine where it could be monetized and not be limited by issues with the Warcraft 3 engine. This was of course back when DotA was a custom game in Warcraft 3. 

This is why Heroes of Newerth characters, maps, and items were clones of DotA characters, maps, and items. Well, conflict occurred between Icefrog and S2 Games, ending in Icefrog partnering with Valve to bring his game to life with DotA2 and S2 Games being issued a legal order/threat to de-clone their characters retroactively and going forward. Changes have been made to make old heroes into semi-clones and newer characters have often been interesting, original designs.

Compared to DotA2, from my experience, HoN is incredibly aggressive. Ganks and burst damage reign supreme. It's also less graphically impressive and has, in my experience, more severe unit pathing issues in its engine. At least that was the case several years ago. I don't see that being any different now, as the announcement of DotA2 turned the game from a modest success (a very distant 2nd place to League of Legends at the time with about 30-40k concurrent users based on their publicly displayed ingame user count when I played) to a very minor player in the moba genre overnight. S2 Games then attempted to make the most casual MOBA ever, Strife, which basically fell flat on its face right out the gate because it was shit.
    Post edited by Aeander on
    Kyleran
  • MirslpMirslp Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Both me and my gf had high hopes for this MMO. But as with all things these days the sheer greed catches up with all the good intentions. They sold people an MMO but the first thing they deliver is BR game with a cashshop. Sorry Steven i dont care how much this hurts but this move is bs.
    GdemamietlarScotAlomar
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    I don't think the MMO development timeline has been affected yet by this BR version. Alpha was planned, iirc, for Q1 2019 so they are typically still on track for that.
    GdemamiWaanSinsaiAlomar
  • hyllyhhyllyh Member UncommonPosts: 477
    wait n see for the mmo
    but what i see in this BR... no way to do a second round in this week end
  • J_JonesJ_Jones Member UncommonPosts: 27
    I don't want compare Br and Siege modes with AOC MMO, still have hopes for full game.
  • summerstringssummerstrings Member UncommonPosts: 76
    It seems there are significant doubts around both Ashes of Creation and Chronicles of Elyria these days . It's a pity because these were two of the games that I was interested in  . Now there are only Pantheon and Camelot Unchained , I just hope they manage to release successfully and offer the kind of gameplay I am looking for .  

I suppose it's not completely over for Ashes of Creation yet but I suspect it will end up just being a Battle Royale game and nothing like what was originally promised . 
    edited January 2019
    Galadourn said:
    I don't think the MMO development timeline has been affected yet by this BR version. Alpha was planned, iirc, for Q1 2019 so they are typically still on track for that.
    The release date will more likely be in 2020 as they actually have been quietly incurring delays and moving dates which I believe has to push the final release out from the end of 2019.

Originally Alpha 1 was supposed to begin before Dec 2018.(1)

Now one source is reporting it starting in Q2 2019. (2)

Alpha 0 (MMORPG) phase was introduced, then delayed by unscheduled early combat & volume testing in 2018.   At PAXWest the new battle ground "testing" modes were discussed (not a BR yet) and MassivelyOP mentions Alpha1 "Phase 2" starting in Spring 2019. (3)

In early Oct Steven announces the testing tool will have a BR mode which "may not make it into official AoC (sic) release." (4) 

Which was accurate perhaps as by early Nov it was turned into a stand alone, F2P BR, Alpha Phase 1 renamed Apocalypse to avoid player "confusion" with the main MMO (5)

In early Dec all pretense of the BR being a testing tool with an  official press announcement on the Dec 18th "launch" calling it "a new competitive and cooperative multiplayer game linked directly to the world of Ashes of Creation." (6)

The first "launch" had some "issues" and was quickly taken down without any official announcement with a 2nd "launch" date of Jan 11th set.  Reddit apparently was the place most first heard of it . (7a) (7b)

While there are plans to add castle sieges and equipment to the BR game it was observed in a recent "demo" trailer no avatars were present, mostly various views the siege engines themselves. (8)

(1) https://ashesofcreation.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115008899748-When-is-alpha-beta-release-

(2) https://mmopulse.com/tag/intrepid-studios

(3) https://massivelyop.com/2018/09/03/pax-west-2018-ashes-of-creation-maps-out-its-alpha-testing-for-the-next-year/

(4) https://www.theaocdungeon.com/threads/twitch-livestream-recap-9-27-18.266/

(5) https://massivelyop.com/2018/11/01/ashes-of-creation-announces-apocalypse-its-free-to-play-battle-royale-test-mode/

(6) http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/332437/Ashes_of_Creation_Apocalypse_Launches_December_18_nbsp.php

(7a) https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/comments/a9sunk/ashes_of_creation_apocalypse_already_being_taken/

(7b) https://www.hrkgame.com/newsroom/ashes-of-creation-apocalypse-servers-down-until-january/

(8) https://www.mmorpg.com/mobile/news.cfm/read/51152/ismb/1/ashes-of-creation-apocalypse-ashes-of-creation-team-previews-castle-sieges-and-announces-new-classes-coming-soon.html
    GdemamiScotSlapshot1188WellspringMadFrenchieAlomarAzaron_Nightblade

• KirtisKirtis Member UncommonPosts: 39
    edited January 2019
    It is a "don't you guys have phones?" (c) attitude from developer :-) E.I. "we don't care what you want and what you expect from us - here is what we decided to give you... take it, eat it and shut up " :-)
    Phaserlight
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    edited January 2019
    Kyleran said:
    Galadourn said:
    The release date will more likely be in 2020 as they actually have been quietly incurring delays and moving dates which I believe has to push the final release out from the end of 2019.

Originally Alpha 1 was supposed to begin before Dec 2018.(1)

Now one source is reporting it starting in Q2 2019. (2)

Alpha 0 (MMORPG) phase was introduced, then delayed by unscheduled early combat & volume testing in 2018.   At PAXWest the new battle ground "testing" modes were discussed (not a BR yet) and MassivelyOP mentions Alpha1 "Phase 2" starting in Spring 2019. (3)

In early Oct Steven announces the testing tool will have a BR mode which "may not make it into official AoC (sic) release." (4) 

Which was accurate perhaps as by early Nov it was turned into a stand alone, F2P BR, Alpha Phase 1 renamed Apocalypse to avoid player "confusion" with the main MMO (5)

In early Dec all pretense of the BR being a testing tool with an  official press announcement on the Dec 18th "launch" calling it "a new competitive and cooperative multiplayer game linked directly to the world of Ashes of Creation." (6)

The first "launch" had some "issues" and was quickly taken down without any official announcement with a 2nd "launch" date of Jan 11th set.  Reddit apparently was the place most first heard of it . (7a) (7b)

While there are plans to add castle sieges and equipment to the BR game it was observed in a recent "demo" trailer no avatars were present, mostly various views the siege engines themselves. (8)

(1) https://ashesofcreation.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115008899748-When-is-alpha-beta-release-

(2) https://mmopulse.com/tag/intrepid-studios

(3) https://massivelyop.com/2018/09/03/pax-west-2018-ashes-of-creation-maps-out-its-alpha-testing-for-the-next-year/

(4) https://www.theaocdungeon.com/threads/twitch-livestream-recap-9-27-18.266/

(5) https://massivelyop.com/2018/11/01/ashes-of-creation-announces-apocalypse-its-free-to-play-battle-royale-test-mode/

(6) http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/332437/Ashes_of_Creation_Apocalypse_Launches_December_18_nbsp.php

(7a) https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/comments/a9sunk/ashes_of_creation_apocalypse_already_being_taken/

(7b) https://www.hrkgame.com/newsroom/ashes-of-creation-apocalypse-servers-down-until-january/

(8) https://www.mmorpg.com/mobile/news.cfm/read/51152/ismb/1/ashes-of-creation-apocalypse-ashes-of-creation-team-previews-castle-sieges-and-announces-new-classes-coming-soon.html
    THIS is how you post.
    WellspringPhaserlightGdemamiTacticalZombeh

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• WizbuizWizbuiz Member UncommonPosts: 215
    To hell with battle royale in a high fantasy setting.. Either u make the real mmorpg or see ur selv fall from high ups.