Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronicles of Elyria: Wherefore Art Thou? - MMORPG.com

Comments

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    It was apparant from the beginning that they were wildly optimistic with both what would be possible techanically and gameplay wise, and also time scheduling. Maybe a combination of overconfidence and lack of industry experience.

It was/is refreshing to see someone trying to push this sad genre forward with "new" ideas (well ideas no one has dared exploring yet) , and as such CoE is all the way up there. Whether feature creep added to the problem I don't know, but it just doesn't sound realistic for such a small team to revolutionize so many concepts in one go.. EqNext tried it and broke, and they were supposedly a team of experienced developers with a lot of money backing (maybe?).

Then there is the money issue. Afaik they were always upfront about the crowdfunding was to get the project started (correct me if you know otherwise), and that it would need outside investors to "finish" the project. They haven't been able to secure that investment, probably because of many factors such as attitude, unrealistic goals, and investors generally not investing much in mmos anymore, especially high risk ones.
    My guess is this has lead them into survival mode and slipping into p2w in order to keep their dream going and the studio alive. Indie developers are tough people willing to go far for their dream, they are entrepeneurs and it is not their nature to give up easily; not to mention imagine giving so much, live on a budget and work your ass off for years and then throw it all away? Not many can shrug that off and just walk away, so instead they stubbernly dig the hole deeper and deeper and corrupting the dream on the way.
    Is there still a chance? Maybe, but it seem clear to me that the corruption of the idea is in process, and it is not certain whether the developers can stop it.
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Dakeru said:
    My take on kickstarter is this:

Why gamble on something that may come to fruition when you can just wait for the stuff that actually comes to fruition. The benefit of KS a game is not worth the gamble in my opinion. 
    If the game can only come to fruition with Kickstarter? After all this is the real benefit of Kickstarter... not the rewards. 
    There has never been a MMO on kickstarter that acually released.
    There are also some in development that would never have got as far as they have without it and likely many that would have been completed if they had the backing. 

He he said it’s not worth the gamble, but since you’re not exactly gambling a lot of money on most cases and you have the opportunity to get the game you’ve always wanted I’d  argue it is worth it. 
    GdemamiYashaX
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    There are also some in development that would never have got as far as they have without it and likely many that would have been completed if they had the backing. 

The first part means you agree with me - no ks mmo has ever seen a release.
    The second part is pure speculation from your side.

'If they have had more money they could have....'
    That's not very convincing.
    GdemamiYashaX
    Harbinger of Fools
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Iselin said:
    Scot said:
    I am not sure we should have articles about indie games from those who back them. Is it possible to detach yourself from the money you have put in? Either hoping for success in the early days or despairing you will ever see a game as the years go by.

Also I think it might be good for the health of those who write gaming articles not to be put in this position, life has enough drama without buying into it. :)
    What next? No reviews of released games from those who have actually bought and played the game?
    Nope, I think my point is quite reasonable and perhaps that's why instead of addressing it you choose a facetious extrapolation from a sound principle.
    Ozmodan
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    edited January 2019
    got this and Saga of Lucimia mixed up

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    lahnmir said:
    Iselin said:
    Scot said:
    I am not sure we should have articles about indie games from those who back them. Is it possible to detach yourself from the money you have put in? Either hoping for success in the early days or despairing you will ever see a game as the years go by.

Also I think it might be good for the health of those who write gaming articles not to be put in this position, life has enough drama without buying into it. :)
    What next? No reviews of released games from those who have actually bought and played the game?
    I am for no forums at all. Everyone here has registered on the website to be able to post here. I am not sure people that display these kinds of interest can form an objective opinion at all.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Dear Lahnmir, I beg to differ!
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Wherefore art thou Romeo meant that Romeo was vaporware.
    lahnmirGaladournCryomatrix

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    kjempff said:

Then there is the money issue. Afaik they were always upfront about the crowdfunding was to get the project started (correct me if you know otherwise), and that it would need outside investors to "finish" the project. 
    For the record they never mentioned this on their Kickstarter main page.As a matter of fact they had stretch goals like adding Mounted Combat etc...

Also related:
    Massively OP: The sticking points seem to be the Kickstarter FAQ line that states, “The funding goal is the amount of money that a creator needs to complete their project” and the fact that COE’s Kickstarter verbiage itself doesn’t appear to mention that the $900K sought wasn’t the full amount (it’s buried in the 8000+ comments)

He also said $1.2M gets a core game and Alpha 1 yet here we sit within over $5M raised and not there yet.

He also said “it’s our intention that all of it be covered by investors, or at least, not players.“ Which obviously didn’t happen.

He also said that closing refunds at the same time they announced this was and I quote “ I want to say it was a complete coincidence that we announced our refund policy going forward in the same update where we evidently made people aware we’re still looking for money from investors, etc.”

https://massivelyop.com/2016/09/28/interview-chronicles-of-elyrias-jeromy-walsh-on-post-kickstarter-funding/

So yeah... I kind of disagree that they were even close to upfront.

[Deleted User]GdemamiKylerantweedledumb99

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Scot said:

I think they ought to all be put in this position, like to write about a Upcoming MMO, you should need to have invested into it, that way you have a real astute feeling for it.

Would it be impossible to be objective?

Not really, it would be like judging a Beauty pageant where you had sex with all the contestants.. while it may be personally invested into all of them... it's still an even judge when comparing them.

Just a counter thought to your point.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Also, I don't get the grip with being a "Serf" in a game, as that is the main set up every Guild, in every game, ever made.

You have Guild Leaders (Kings and Queens), Officers (Nobels) and Members (peasants/serfs).

Every single game you will ever play has this set up.... every single one, Thousands upon Thousands of Guild Leaders/Officers spend real money and life hours to build up their guild, and millions upon millions of players join these guilds to be serfs and peasants in them.

Why the faux outrage at CoE for having this system?
    CryomatrixOzmodan
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited January 2019
    I think there is a middle ground to be struck. Having a fanboy write the review often leads to disproportinately glowing praise. (Though I will say that this effect is overstated, as some of the harshest and most accurate criticisms often come from dedicated fans). 

However, if you get people who don't like or don't know about a game/series to talk about or review an upcoming release, you get a downright embarassing situation in which those involved have no idea what they're talking about.

Just look at IGN's cringeworthy video discussion on the upcoming Fire Emblem 3 Houses. Only one person at the table was a Fire Emblem fan with any knowledge of the series, and the result was a straight up nonsensical collection of blunders and factual inaccuracies that gave a public black eye to an incredible looking game. (For fuck's sake, one of them said that they had played the mobile game on 3DS.)
    Ungood
  • InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236
    Dakeru said:

Why gamble on something that may come to fruition when you can just wait for the stuff that actually comes to fruition. The benefit of KS a game is not worth the gamble in my opinion. 
    If the game can only come to fruition with Kickstarter? After all this is the real benefit of Kickstarter... not the rewards. 
    What about SOTA or Elite Dangerous?
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Interitus said:
    Dakeru said:

What about SOTA or Elite Dangerous?
    Sota...
    Harbinger of Fools
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited January 2019

No, the rewards are why the gamers throw the cash all willy nilly, let's not fool ourselves.

If devs didn't have to do or offer anything to entice them to fund the project, they wouldn't.
    IselinSlapshot1188Gdemami[Deleted User]

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited January 2019

No, the rewards are why the gamers throw the cash all willy nilly, let's not fool ourselves.

If devs didn't have to do or offer anything to entice them to fund the project, they wouldn't.
    Indeed. A lot of the lower tier rewards for KS games (many of the single player variety that have actually released) are actually good deals where you actually get the game cheaper. It's actually pretty standard and where the bulk of the "donations" happen.
    MadFrenchieGdemami[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ManWithNoTanManWithNoTan Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I never was very interested in this game concept. Pay money for another life? Haven't done that since I was at the nickle-arcade as a kid.
    MadFrenchiePhaserlightOzmodan
  • simon155simon155 Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Personally I've watched the development of many MMOs including titles such as Star Citizen. The latter sadly was rushed and despite massive funding, on my last encounter, dismally failed to meet expectations. One day it may well get there, but it is a classic example of what happens when you rush something without attention to detail.

When it comes to Chronicles of Elyria, it's far from being the same picture. I can safely say of all the dev projects I've followed of this type, they are leagues ahead. The degree of transparency is very high. We get routine updates, and often game content. This has spanned everything from screenies, videos, media, design, new assets and even (if you've been to the games con events) playable demos that have been very well polished. They routinely engage with the community allowing us to take part in events which shape the state of the world, from the level of plague influence to certain biomes, technological developments and more. The community is already having an effect on the world of Elyria as the game shapes out, even resulting in community picked world maps (massive as they are). They regularly talk with the community and if you ask anyone in the discords etc they will confirm the last description they would use would be "shouting down" users.

Inevitably with any development there are hurdles. Thankfully, unlike some companies who would respond with rushing out something that failed dismally to meet our expectations (as so many have), the Soulbound team have overcome and excelled, dodging many issues that may come to plague other development companies. Their design is both refreshing and exciting, something that will most assuredly shake up the games market.

It is quite accurate to say they have had events intended to raise cash. However, as a crowd funding game, I believe that is true for ALL such companies. that's how they fund the development. Like ALL other such projects, they don't offer refunds, nor could I expect them to. Quite rightly, funding is committed to development, and that's exactly where they invest it. What they are showing consistently is superb progress and what is fast shaping up to be an amazing game.

There are with all such things the occasional shout of "pay to win". Well, for anyone who doesn't like "whales", I have some FANTASTIC news for you, and your'e going to love this. Unlike some titles, where those goods (and there is just a limited pool to date) offer permanent rewards, in Elyria it does not. In Elyria, it can ALL be lost. That's right. You can club together with your mates, target a RL whale and steal it all. Sure it'll make you criminals, and there is a justice system, but it'll make the world a more exciting place, both for the criminals and those who like to hunt criminals down. Call it a battle of wits or a challenge to build a robber baron's empire. Players do expire - indeed some look at Elyria and plot to overthrow or steal. Others like me plan to build a craft or community.

The depth and style of Elyria is unlike any other to date, and as you play, you'll quite literally be able to see your character age throughout that time, until he or she eventually passes on, and your soul moves to its next host. Perhaps an heir you left your will to. Perhaps a new life entirely. That choice is yours.

Ultimately, I can feel the frustration of the writer in his closing remarks - he's simply desperate to play it. That much is understandable - we all are, but we recognise that this level of quality does take time, but it is getting there and we're all anticipating it.

Catch anyone in the community or drop Oracle a note in game mail if you've any questions, but by all means for now just follow the game and watch.
    kjempffSlapshot1188LokeroWellspringInteritusGdemamiOzmodan
  • simon155simon155 Member UncommonPosts: 53
    I should also add for those commenting on the permadeath and aging as being a poor design, I believe the ENTIRE community who have been funding it have been well aware of that fact from the outset, and we all like it. It's different. It's cool. Anyone who has backed it then moaned about it quite frankly is too stupid to be listened to and can't be seen a a credible source if they can't be bothered to read.
    Gdemami
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    One day (hopefully), Soulbound will produce an actual game !

Until then, we'll have to make do with their "transparent communication", which describes in great detail what they intend to do....

Don't be alarmed by the radical shifts in development strategy. We are assured by people who claim to have "NDA access" that everything is progressing !

Sure, Soulbound Studios has laid off a few team members already, but that doesn't mean they can't deliver at all... They just need to keep selling digital assets at a steady pace to keep the remaining team members afloat !

Hope dies last...
    MendelCryomatrix
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Iselin said:
    Scot said:

Well we certainly get our share of opinions from posters who have never played some of these games, (including yours truly) so why not the reviewers.

;)
    [Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    kjempff said:

Then there is the money issue. Afaik they were always upfront about the crowdfunding was to get the project started (correct me if you know otherwise), and that it would need outside investors to "finish" the project. 
    For the record they never mentioned this on their Kickstarter main page.As a matter of fact they had stretch goals like adding Mounted Combat etc...

Also related:
    Massively OP: The sticking points seem to be the Kickstarter FAQ line that states, “The funding goal is the amount of money that a creator needs to complete their project” and the fact that COE’s Kickstarter verbiage itself doesn’t appear to mention that the $900K sought wasn’t the full amount (it’s buried in the 8000+ comments)

He also said $1.2M gets a core game and Alpha 1 yet here we sit within over $5M raised and not there yet.

He also said “it’s our intention that all of it be covered by investors, or at least, not players.“ Which obviously didn’t happen.

He also said that closing refunds at the same time they announced this was and I quote “ I want to say it was a complete coincidence that we announced our refund policy going forward in the same update where we evidently made people aware we’re still looking for money from investors, etc.”

https://massivelyop.com/2016/09/28/interview-chronicles-of-elyrias-jeromy-walsh-on-post-kickstarter-funding/

Thanks. I haven't been following that closely, so you are probably correct.
    Though, "completing" a project does not necessarily mean the final product, it could mean a vertical slice which is a game dev term defining a working game showing of a core concept - Again I have not followed CoE closely, so I don't know the wording used in the ks or if that core game has been delivered to backers or is close to.

On a side note, I find the whole refund thing and backers entitlement on a crowdfunded game to be a misunderstanding. If you crowdfunded something you did not buy anything, you either donated or invested and at that point the money is no longer yours. The receiver is only required to spend that money as advertised and to the best of their ability, but there is no guarantee of success implied not for the entire project neither for completion of stretch goals. It is an investment, not a purchase.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    kjempff said:
    kjempff said:

Also related:

Though, "completing" a project does not necessarily mean the final product, it could mean a vertical slice which is a game dev term defining a working game showing of a core concept - Again I have not followed CoE closely, so I don't know the wording used in the ks or if that core game has been delivered to backers or is close to.

On a side note, I find the whole refund thing and backers entitlement on a crowdfunded game to be a misunderstanding. If you crowdfunded something you did not buy anything, you either donated or invested and at that point the money is no longer yours. The receiver is only required to spend that money as advertised and to the best of their ability, but there is no guarantee of success implied not for the entire project neither for completion of stretch goals. It is an investment, not a purchase.

It's not an investment, either.
    MendelIselin

Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:
    Scot said:

Well we certainly get our share of opinions from posters who have never played some of these games, (including yours truly) so why not the reviewers.

;)
    Commonly referred to as "talking out your ass." :)

It's quite the thing these days. Why, you can even get elected to the highest offices doing just that.
    YashaX
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

kjempff said:
    kjempff said:

Also related:

It's not an investment, either.
    But it should be. Crowdfunding where backers get a piece of the action, a % share, would make a lot of sense as shared risk with possible rewards. 

What we have instead is panhandling elevated to an art form... no scratch that, it has much more in common with fringe religions than art :)
    MendelKyleranMadFrenchie

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    kjempff said:
    kjempff said:

Also related:

It is money that was given based on information provided by the company.  In this instance, a HUGE amount of what the customer was told has proven to be incorrect.  Some examples: The timeline, the technology (SpatialOS), the future funding (coming from investors/publishers), The Prologue, ElyriaMud, VoxElyria... etc... etc...

So it's a 2 way street.  Just because you raise money via crowdfunding does not IMHO absolve you of basic decency and if you do not do what YOU said you would do it's quite hypocritical to expect the customer to do what they said and not get their money back.

KyleranWellspring

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018