Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online Racials will be Retooled for Update 21 - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageElder Scrolls Online Racials will be Retooled for Update 21 - MMORPG.com

The Elder Scrolls Online forum has been updated with a new post from the Combat Team to lay out the details about a forthcoming retooling of the game's racials. The changes will go into effect with Update 21 and will be on the game's PTS for testing purposes starting next week. The changes are needed, according to the post, because there are "a lack of effective options in picking your race/class combination" and because "many of the racial bonuses do not have universal applicability".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Rain_DeathravenRain_Deathraven Member UncommonPosts: 87
    If the game had non retardhish combat animation ....Oh god
    ViterzgirWarlyx
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    make equal and less fun/interesting.
    Scot
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Doesn't seem like a good move to fleece your core customers for more money.
    RexKushmanDeadrites87IselinSetzer
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639

Aelious said:

Are you suggesting that they are charging for racial bonuses? Because this thread is about changes to racial bonuses not anything to do with the store.

God dam we need a shit post button.
    SinsaiNordicApacheKajidourdenTacticalZombehFreelancerNDfoxgirl

• Deadrites87Deadrites87 Member UncommonPosts: 94
    They need to reconsider the 1 race change per account and grant 1 per so many lvl 50 chars. If these changes stand the way that they are many people will not be happy having to pay for multiple race changes.
    AlomarAeliousArskaaa
  • SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405
    edited January 2019

Arskaaa said:

Curious on what you just read from that dev post?

They prety much just changed most of the % based passives to flat values and actually buffed a few(I.E Khajiit 8% crit chance now includes spells ,Redguard Adrenaline Rush now applies to all direct damage instead of just melee attacks and Orc 20% health recovery was changed to a flat 380 proc return for both health/stam based off of damage you do with weapon abilities).

Now I can see whining because of some changes like the DE one where they changed the 3% max magicka from Resist flames to a flat 600 health bonus BUT increased the flames resistance AND made them immune to burning status effects and they took away the % based bonus for spell dmg(7% fire, 2% shock/frost) and made it a flat value for all weapon/spell damage.

What they are doing in making races more attractive to other play styles for example a Khajiit spell caster.

And I do agree with concerns about only 1 race change token given out for players with 8+ max level toons like myself (although I won't be using any).

Octagon7711MrMelGibsonIselinFreelancerND
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Sinsai said:

Arskaaa said:

Curious on what you just read from that dev post?

They prety much just changed most of the % based passives to flat values and actually buffed a few(I.E Khajiit 8% crit chance now includes spells ,Redguard Adrenaline Rush now applies to all direct damage instead of just melee attacks and Orc 20% health recovery was changed to a flat 380 proc return for both health/stam based off of damage you do with weapon abilities).

Now I can see whining because of some changes like the DE one where they changed the 3% max magicka from Resist flames to a flat 600 health bonus BUT increased the flames resistance AND made them immune to burning status effects and they took away the % based bonus for spell dmg(7% fire, 2% shock/frost) and made it a flat value for all weapon/spell damage.

What they are doing in making races more attractive to other play styles for example a Khajiit spell caster.

"the equalization of "overall power that each race provides"

When you read something like that it can only raise concerns that equalisations will occur. Your breakdown does not seem to overly show that but it has to be a concern. There is no way to truly equalise them, so making them less relevant is the path that MMO's often take. Indeed in most MMO's they have ben removed all together.
    blamo2000
  • SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405
    edited January 2019

Aelious said:

Are you suggesting that they are charging for racial bonuses? Because this thread is about changes to racial bonuses not anything to do with the store.

No I'm pretty sure he was referring to the fact that with these changes a lot of people are going to want to change races AND they are giving out 1 token to be used when tons of people have 8+ max toons, like myself(although like I said I won't be using any of them).

I like the above idea of the tokens being given out based off of how many level 50's you have.

[Deleted User]Aelious
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

Sinsai said:

Aelious said:

No I'm pretty sure he was referring to the fact that with these changes a lot of people are going to want to change races AND they are giving out 1 token to be used when tons of people have 8+ max toons, like myself(although like I said I won't be using any of them).

I like the above idea of the tokens being given out based off of how many level 50's you have.

Besides, weren't they essentially doing that already in regards to pvp (charging for racials) when they implemented that thing where you could have any race/nation combination.
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited January 2019
    They shouldn’t charge for stuff like this, imo. I dont think they should charge for server transfers, name, race, faction, or whatever changes in other games either. It’s overtly greedy to charge for quality of life changes instead of just making a great game that more people can enjoy on their own terms. It is extremely short-sighted and will likely work against them in the future.
    MrMelGibson

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited January 2019
    Maybe they will give tokens away as free monthly bonuses, it should be one per character, not per account.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I have about two characters of every class. That means one character gets a free change and at least a few more will have to have their tokens bought. I hear they are on sale now. Will the sale last after the changes have been made so I can better access which races need changes and which may not, or am I just suppose to buy a lot of them now and save them for future use?

Found out earlier I have to buy Summerset if I want decent bow damage. Luckily I'm good with the setups I have now. Not the most optimal but I do have a lot of fun with them and survival isn't a problem.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• kryntokkryntok Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Im finally realizing reading these comments on this website is so pointless. Bunch of crybabies you all are. My 2 credits
    AlomarDisantiaMrMelGibson
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I'd rather the races were all equal with none of this stuff.

Should be able to choose your Race, which is your appearance... and then choose your background, which determines your character creation skills (if they insist on including them in all games).

It is BORING that every melee stam character should be Khajiit or be punished with a weaker build. The result is... 95% of them are all Khajiit. Those that aren't should be.

Race and background (skills) separation should be the standard for all games.
    Deadrites87Octagon7711AlomarhallucigenocideWarlyx
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    kryntok said:
    Im finally realizing reading these comments on this website is so pointless. Bunch of crybabies you all are. My 2 credits
    Right? We should all just bend over for whatever shit they shovel. You a CEO?

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I'd rather the races were all equal with none of this stuff.

Should be able to choose your Race, which is your appearance... and then choose your background, which determines your character creation skills (if they insist on including them in all games).

It is BORING that every melee stam character should be Khajiit or be punished with a weaker build. The result is... 95% of them are all Khajiit. Those that aren't should be.

Race and background (skills) separation should be the standard for all games.
    Yes, and everyone knows what happens when you come up with a popular cookie-cutter build, it gets nerfed, hard.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    ESO is uber alt friendly. Any player who is that "worried" about racial bonuses will roll a new character of the race they want and level to "50".

For anyone who doesn't play such characters will have the same CP rating as the players main. For a "serious end game player" this could be many hundreds of CP points. Think: speed + steroids + other performance enhancing stuff. find an anchor in a mob heavy zone and they could be 50 very quickly indeed.

mmolouAlomar
  • kryntokkryntok Member UncommonPosts: 77

Palebane said:

kryntok said:

No you shouldn't, but have you realized how many games are on the market?? Complaining about percentage nerfs and stat tweaks is so lame, just so lame
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Almost every single character I have is either an Altmer or Redguard and they're going to be staying relatively the same. I'm good.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    kryntok said:

Palebane said:

kryntok said:

No you shouldn't, but have you realized how many games are on the market?? Complaining about percentage nerfs and stat tweaks is so lame, just so lame
    If I gave you a $100, then took it back from you and gave you $50, you'd complain too.  You just aren't whining cause it doesn't concern you, that doesn't give you the right to call everyone who it does concern cry babies.  In fact that's a very immature thing to do. 
    AlomarDisantiaMrMelGibsonTacticalZombeh
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • BlueThunderBearBlueThunderBear Member RarePosts: 228

Hashbrick said:

kryntok said:

Palebane said:

kryntok said:

If I gave you a $100, then took it back from you and gave you $50, you'd complain too.  You just aren't whining cause it doesn't concern you, that doesn't give you the right to call everyone who it does concern cry babies.  In fact that's a very immature thing to do. 

This is the best example of a false equivalency ever. A minor stat nerf in a video game is in no way comparable to literally robbing you.
    MrMelGibson
    edited January 2019
    kryntok said:

Palebane said:

kryntok said:

Well considering how race can effect the viability of a particular class in this game I could see how it is important to some people. It would be like if you bought a Tesla Model X and paid for the enhanced auto pilot, but then they came in and updated it and removed the exact functionality that convinced you to add it in the first place. You essentially wasted time and money on something that is worthless to you now.

For me none of this will mater, but understand not everyone plays a game or expects the exact same thing out of game as you. Respect that.
    MrMelGibsonPalebane
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    edited January 2019

Aelious said:

The reason and validity of what I posted has already been covered by others but I wanted to add I'm also starting to play ESO again. I'm also low level so these changes don't effect me in the slightest like they would veteran players but I'm sympathetic to their concerns.

Plus, you missed an "n" in there ;)
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    gervaise1 said:
    ESO is uber alt friendly. Any player who is that "worried" about racial bonuses will roll a new character of the race they want and level to "50".

For anyone who doesn't play such characters will have the same CP rating as the players main. For a "serious end game player" this could be many hundreds of CP points. Think: speed + steroids + other performance enhancing stuff. find an anchor in a mob heavy zone and they could be 50 very quickly indeed.

That's only true up to a point since there are several things that take quite a while to grind: mage's guild ultimate, undaunted mettle and, depending on how you feel about PvP, Warhorn, Vigor and Caltrops can also be a pain.

It's not as easy as "make an alt of the new best race for your build and you're good to go." 
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Aelious said:

Aelious said:

The reason and validity of what I posted has already been covered by others but I wanted to add I'm also starting to play ESO again. I'm also low level so these changes don't effect me in the slightest like they would veteran players but I'm sympathetic to their concerns.

Plus, you missed an "n" in there ;)

Aelious
    SWG Bloodfin vet