Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(MMORPG.com discussion of "WTF" button to user posts)

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
I posted it here:

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/478728/remove-replace-the-wtf-button-it-only-incentives-harrassment-and-trolls#latest

Not gonna copy/paste, but I noticed the thread didn't pop up on recent dicussions and it is a pretty big thing to talk about on MMORPG. I myself have (as I said in that thread) made abuse of it so won't lie about that. Actually seeing that the person kept doing it over and over and others too have done it over a period of a year of my posts whether they deserved it or not, figured it was a thing to do...but I've also been a victim of continued "WTF" by certain user going by "MMO" (won't say full name) no matter what I posted. Can see who it is anyway just by seeing who "WTF" my posts. But I've also seen a massive amount of posts get "WTF" for no reason at all, except for the person to troll the person.

But really to sum it up...on a serious gaming platform/site, it fits 0% with a professional site. All it does is entice trolls to harrass users they happen to not like. 

Now I myself don't care who wtf my post or who LOL or agree or anything else. It literally matters to me ...well okay...5% so a tiny bit when its used to spam all my posts with WTF even the serious ones that I put work into making...but seeing I was warned about it, I felt I should bring it up because on a professional site it shouldn't exist or be renamed to something else or a thumbs down or something. Not a troll-like "WTF" for others to harass others by.

As for why in the pub...well it kinda fits....it'll be seen on recent discussion AND its about MMORPG.com lol

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

IkedaUngoodsayuuWalkinGlennBlaze_RockerPemminGdemamipinealFlyByKnightBananableand 25 others.

Comments

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Why you wasted 2 separate forum posts... the REASON those don't typically pop up is because it was under site suggestions.  But then, you revealed exactly what it's trying to achieve.  Attention.  That's it.
    #nosoapbox4u
    Ungoodbartoni33PemminRueTheWhirlmmolouMrMelGibsongervaise1NephethSailorMom
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Now I myself don't care who wtf my post or who LOL or agree or anything else. It literally matters to me ...well okay...5% so a tiny bit when its used to spam all my posts with WTF even the serious ones that I put work into making...but seeing I was warned about it, I felt I should bring it up because on a professional site it shouldn't exist or be renamed to something else or a thumbs down or something. Not a troll-like "WTF" for others to harass others by.

As for why in the pub...well it kinda fits....it'll be seen on recent discussion AND its about MMORPG.com lol
    Well, Im sure "some" people use lol as a derogatory bit but I think some people use it as what it was intended ... that they found it genuinely funny.

WTF can also just be taken as "eh?!?"

I wouldn't take it personally.
    UngoodnatpickHatefullPemminIkedaRueTheWhirlMrMelGibsongervaise1Panther2103
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    ban winky emote
    UngoodPemminIkedaRueTheWhirlgervaise1Panther2103
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    edited January 2019
    Well just for the hell of it, I WTF'ed everyone that responded... because.. Love.

well not the OP.. I gave them an Awesome because.. WTF.

Not like it matters... I am gonna be me.
    ThupliAlBQuirkyKyleranHatefullPemminSovrathIkedaRueTheWhirlmmolougervaise1and 2 others.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• ananitananit Member RarePosts: 293
    i think this button has been specifically designed to be used on every posts made by wizardry because quite frankly, it's the only legitimate reaction one can have after reading his antics :smiley:
    CryomatrixHatefullPemminUngoodIkedammolouSBFordMrMelGibsongervaise1YashaXand 2 others.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    When the site migrated here i lobbied for a STFU (button)  I see it would have a use here :)
    CryomatrixPemminUngoodIkedaRueTheWhirlmmolou[Deleted User]MrMelGibsongervaise1Nepheth
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    WTF is this thread for again?
    KyleranPemminUngoodIkedaRueTheWhirlcraftseekermmolouMrMelGibson[Deleted User]
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    As you might imagine I fully support retaining the WTF button for......reasons.

;)
    AlBQuirkyPemminUngoodIkedaRueTheWhirlcraftseekermmolouMrMelGibsongervaise1[Deleted User]and 2 others.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    I would simply like a disagree button.  

I feel like I have to either show hate to someone, or be happy.  There is no mild/moderate disagree in the reactions.

Oh well, usually I just say nothing.
    AlBQuirkysunandshadowPemminUngoodIkedaRueTheWhirlcraftseeker
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Kyleran said:
    As you might imagine I fully support retaining the WTF button for......reasons.

;)
    You're such a TROLL! :lol:
    KyleranPemminUngoodIkedacraftseekermmolouMrMelGibson

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited January 2019
    Why not just admit to yourself that you are an attention hog.  Whether that attention is good or bad.  You waited only about 30 minutes between that thread and this thread.  Since you had no responses within 30 minutes you came to this forum to complain that no one was paying enough attention to you over in that forum.

And even more ironic both threads are about people paying you too much of the type of attention you don't want.  Now you've got more of the type of attention you say you don't want.
    LokeroKyleranPemminUngoodIkedacraftseekermmolouMrMelGibson[Deleted User]
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    I use the WTF button exclusively as a "shit post" button and will continue doing so until we get other options besides positive ones. 

I use it a lot.
    bartoni33HatefullPemminUngoodIkedaThupliDakeru

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    ananit said:
    i think this button has been specifically designed to be used on every posts made by wizardry because quite frankly, it's the only legitimate reaction one can have after reading his antics :smiley:
    I am 100% convinced that this is the EXACT reason the WTF button was implemented.
    PemminUngoodIkedaThupliMrMelGibson

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 451
    What we need is a "Triggered" button.

PemminUngoodIkedaNorseGod
  • Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370

I'm glad someone brought this up.

To me the WTF, "button" I guess it's called, can have at least two different meanings. One is for genuine surprise/shock that could be neither negative or positive and the other could definitely be negative, as if for insulting the poster without actually having to post anything at all as to why the user would even click on it.

If my opinion counted for anything then I would say that the button should be removed and replaced with one or more other buttons. Replacing the WTF with a WOW to indicate surprise/shock would suffice for me. Anything more should be left up to the community in my opinion.

UngoodPemminIkedaThupli

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    ALL THE WTFs were given in this thread
    UngoodIkedammolou
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Ok guys.. Stop please.. I am running out of WTF's to give.. 

LOL.. no I'm not.. keep em coming! 

WTF's for EVERYONE! 
    PemminIkedaRenoakuRexKushmanKyleranmmolouMrMelGibson
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

I don't give a wtf.
    IkedaGruntyUngood
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    WTF I feel dumber now having spent 2 mins to read thru this thread.
    UngoodBlaze_RockerMrMelGibson
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    I don't see how a wtf button with an emoji is harassment ?

Though this is the only site I actually really read as far as games go, and zero censorship, which is great as some game companies out there like "PWI / Never Winter" and "Sandbox Interactive" do nothing but censor their forums from the public out-cry, and complaints rather than fixing what needs fixing with things like bans, deletion of posts, and stuck up attitudes towards player base.

But a perfect example of why MMO's have been on the decline for years except for up-coming games like "Ashes" maybe Legends OF Aria with a truly free economy, and Breach though I don't feel Breach will be a very big game.

This aside sometimes an emoji is pretty amazing, a wtf doesn't seem to be like Reddit where thumbs down actually matter anyways due to API, and Bot plugins that ban people for having negative karma across other sub-reddits, though making a new Reddit account is pretty easy anyways.
    Ungood
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Sees post.
    Sees who posted it.
    [WTF]

Work here is done.
    KyleranCryomatrixmmolouWaanMrMelGibsonUngood
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • BananableBananable Member UncommonPosts: 194
    edited January 2019
    "it fits 0% with a professional site."

Yes! I agree, it shouldnt be on Professional site, but its Here...

hint, hint, hint.  :P

But seriously you dont like "WTF", but you like "lol"?  Do you know what it even means? Laugh out loud, isnt it? 

I use "LOLZ" as a joke. 
    When i play mmo and read forums i see people use it alot. But they dont actually laugh that much, they may smile or giggle or chuckle or simply "ha ha", "heh", but its too long to type, mostly people like something simple. 

And with "WTF?!" i think its same, but it means surprise reaction, like - "What?" but more cooler, which is why kids like it. If you watch funny (game) videos on YT, you can see nomatter what language people speaking on they all say "WTF?!"

sunday monday tuesday WTF saturday  :P

Ungood
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    WTF should I be offended about today? 

*hint: the answer lies within the question. 
    anemoMrMelGibsonUngood
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • mmoloummolou Member UncommonPosts: 256
    edited January 2019
    .but I've also been a victim of continued "WTF" by certain user going by "MMO" (won't say full name) no matter what I posted.
    You mean me.

To start with, I used the WTF button on a post or two of your's, because I was like, wtf are you even trying to say?.
    You obviously took umbrage at that, and you went to my profile, and went back through every one of my posts, and hit the WTF button.

So yea, now I see you post anything, I hit WTF, because for you, it is appropriate.
    craftseekerMrMelGibsonYashaXCryomatrixKyleranUngoodFlyByKnight
    It is a funny world we live in.
    We had Empires run by Emperors, we had Kingdoms run by Kings, now we have Countries...
    edited January 2019
    I think this is really going to start something.

Is there an infraction for excessive WTFing?
    Ungood
This discussion has been closed.