Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bad first impressions

Comments

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Viper482 said:
    DLC and expansions are two different things.
    I hope that you are being sarcastic, because that is just PR talk from Zenimax. They only made that distinction so they could prevent the DLC to be bought with crowns. There are a lot of subbed people sitting on a lot of crowns with nothing to buy with. This move made a sub have even less worth for ESO.

Any DLC is an expansion to a game. Look up what the word expansion means. It is literally just an addition to a game. There is no reason to make a distinction between DLC and expansion, unless Zenimax has a financial reason.

Imo it was showing the finger to subs for making that distinction and at the same time having no new content in crown store (longer then their promised half year) to buy with crowns.
    Viper482
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I buy mounts/pets at holiday sales from the WoW shop, if I'm being honest.  :s

So they get my money that way as well. I can honestly say that I do that only when I'm subbed to and playing WoW, so if I'm not subbed to WoW I never see or buy anything from the Shop if that makes a difference.

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Chapter = expansion everyone has to pay for.
    DLC = content subscribers get for free.

If you think about it, WoW doesn't EXACTLY the same thing... for subscribers. They have expansions, and then during the course of the expansion, they add more content, quests and landmass for free.

Nothing wrong here. If you pay $15/month, ESO plays just like WoW. It's a subscription game.
    Except that Morrowind is a chapter, not DLC, but subscribers get it for free and non-subscribers don't.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    It's not outright obvious.....but it ain't hard to figure it out either.  If someone is incapable of that....it's a personal problem.
    Viper482mmolou
  • GormogonGormogon Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Quizzical said:

Except that Morrowind is a chapter, not DLC, but subscribers get it for free and non-subscribers don't.

Morrowind is now DLC and is listed in the DLC section of the crown store. 

That change coincided with stripping out the Warden class to sell separately.  So subscribers can play in Morrowind at no additional cost, but the Warden class still has to be bought for those who didn't buy Morrowind when it was still being sold as a chapter.

Currently there are two chapters: Summerset and the upcoming Elsweyr.

Zeni's communication is subpar IMO, and it extends beyond the chapter/DLC issue.  There's been plenty of confusion over the Indrik mounts, for example.  I ended up going to one of the wikis and was able to make sense of it in five seconds, but that shouldn't be necessary.
    Octagon7711
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Gormogon said:
    Quizzical said:

Zeni's communication is subpar IMO, and it extends beyond the chapter/DLC issue.  There's been plenty of confusion over the Indrik mounts, for example.  I ended up going to one of the wikis and was able to make sense of it in five seconds, but that shouldn't be necessary.

I agree... 5 seconds is WAY long

Sz  :)
    [Deleted User]
  • GormogonGormogon Member UncommonPosts: 224
    SaunZ said:
    Gormogon said:
    Quizzical said:

Obviously just long enough to write a jerk-off response on a gaming forum, though.  G :)
    Gormogon said:
    Quizzical said:

That change coincided with stripping out the Warden class to sell separately.  So subscribers can play in Morrowind at no additional cost, but the Warden class still has to be bought for those who didn't buy Morrowind when it was still being sold as a chapter.

It still says that Morrowind is a "chapter" here:

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/updates

I can understand making occasional mistakes in how you describe something you're selling and then making changes to make it right when it's pointed out.  The problem is that the errors are far too widespread and don't get fixed to be explainable as accidental.  That's not the sort of thing that a reputable company would do.

The problem isn't that it takes five seconds to look something up.  It's that you can look it up in one place and it says one thing, but look it up in another and it says something else.  The only real way to know what you'll get for your money is to spend it and find out.
    edited January 2019
    Arterius said:
    Quizzical said:
    Gormogon said:
    Quizzical said:

It still says that Morrowind is a "chapter" here:

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/updates

I can understand making occasional mistakes in how you describe something you're selling and then making changes to make it right when it's pointed out.  The problem is that the errors are far too widespread and don't get fixed to be explainable as accidental.  That's not the sort of thing that a reputable company would do.

The problem isn't that it takes five seconds to look something up.  It's that you can look it up in one place and it says one thing, but look it up in another and it says something else.  The only real way to know what you'll get for your money is to spend it and find out.
    It's also listed in the crown store as a chapter as well. They just do what Blizzard does and give out the last chapter for free with a membership.
    I'd have no problem with that business model if their web site made it clear that that's what they're doing.  Blizzard doesn't seem to have any problem making it clear.  My complaint is about Zenimax's false advertising.

It's not the same business model as WoW, though.  With WoW, you can play most of the game with just a subscription, and can get a modest trial (up to level 20) completely free.  For ESO, you have to buy a box first.
    Gdemami
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Chapter = expansion everyone has to pay for.
    DLC = content subscribers get for free.

If you think about it, WoW does EXACTLY the same thing... for subscribers. They have expansions, and then during the course of the expansion, they add more content, quests and landmass for free.

Nothing wrong here. If you pay $15/month, ESO plays just like WoW. It's a subscription game.
    Whoa....rocket science is hard dude!
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    With ESO it's actually better to wait for a sale in which they lump a few DLC and expansions together for a nice discount if you don't sub.
    Not really.  At this point, you're pretty much better off subscribing.  The price of the Crowns to buy everything is probably north of $200US at this point (it was almost there last time I checked, and Dragon Bones or whatever had just released).  That's almost 1.5 years of a subscription.  By the time that 1.5 years is up, you'd have paid another $60-75 on DLC and expansions - most likely closer to $100+.  It's only as cheap as it is now because the first 4 DLC have been massively discounted :-P  Those of us who bought them earlier paid much more.

Zeni's business model is that they market the game as buy to play, but they release content on a cadence so fast that it basically becomes a subscription for everyone who keeps up on the content - whether they subscribe or not.

And not having access to DLCs and Expansions is very disruptive if you want to play this game in a guild environment, or often with friends, since many people WILL have access to it and you'll be left out of a lot of things without it...  People tend to prefer running newer content to older content (dungeons, raids, etc.), in general.  This is why old expansion content tends to die in MMORPGs - even if the level cap doesn't go up.
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Gormogon said:
    SaunZ said:
    Gormogon said:
    Quizzical said:

Obviously just long enough to write a jerk-off response on a gaming forum, though.  G :)

ooooooo burn

Sz  :smile:
  • EverSkellyEverSkelly Member UncommonPosts: 341
    I've decided to try ESO on a free to play time, they offered like a week for free.
    But after logging in two times i just could not force myself to play. It's somehow just wrong to me.
    I don't even know what. It's not interesting, like EQ or WoW. Just dull. No sense of power, or adventure : )  And this "no UI" thing that OP mentioned also killed it for me. I can't see my skills, have nowhere to put it. Really? a new player, no bar to to put new skills in? Good job.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I've decided to try ESO on a free to play time, they offered like a week for free.
    But after logging in two times i just could not force myself to play. It's somehow just wrong to me.
    I don't even know what. It's not interesting, like EQ or WoW. Just dull. No sense of power, or adventure : )  And this "no UI" thing that OP mentioned also killed it for me. I can't see my skills, have nowhere to put it. Really? a new player, no bar to to put new skills in? Good job.
    There is a skill bar.. you didn't even play the game did you?
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    edited April 2019
    I didn't like their targeting implementation. I'm an all one or the other player, this mixed breed aim to tab target stuff I don't like.

The controls weren't terrible but I would much prefer to have my character locked in my cameras direction unless I'm deliberately wanting to look around my character. Meaning S=backward and A/D= strafing. Felt again like trying to combine action based aimed targeting/control scheme with tab-target and controls.

Like most of the new games, something that drives me away is stepping on mobs with every move. I don't want to have a world so filled with things to kill and people to talk to that I can't move 10 steps without them being there. I like needing to explore to find things. I like not knowing where things are or if/when they'll spawn next.
  • EverSkellyEverSkelly Member UncommonPosts: 341
    SlyLoK said:

No, there is not. You have to find it in options and bring it up. You can call me lazy, but what do you call the people in charge of new player experience then? :)  Newcomers having to browse in options to find out how to enable skillbar.. so they could be allowed to start casting spells. They don't know if the skillbar even exists at all. Why, what's the reason?  Just make it visible, like all games do.
    i'm just whining. It's an ok game. Skillbar, obviously, isn't some huge problem here. All the small details is.
    IselinSlyLoK[Deleted User]mmolouOctagon7711Gdemami
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    SlyLoK said:

No, there is not. You have to find it in options and bring it up. You can call me lazy, but what do you call the people in charge of new player experience then? :)  Newcomers having to browse in options to find out how to enable skillbar.. so they could be allowed to start casting spells. They don't know if the skillbar even exists at all. Why, what's the reason?  Just make it visible, like all games do.
    i'm just whining. It's an ok game. Skillbar, obviously, isn't some huge problem here. All the small details is.
    The only thing options gives you is the ability to have it always showing. Without that option it pops up during combat. It also always shows regardless of option selected when you're in the skills tab so you can add skills to it or move them around.

Octagon7711
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited April 2019
    SlyLoK said:

if you don't know that the skillbar existed, you should have read those tutorial messages ^^
    you know, they are your friend, no food.

and ESO explains alot... all day long. unless you actually switch it off. but that only works in the options, and as you already said, you don't like em :)

PS: you can also enable name plates in the options, and all sorts of other funny stuff. might be worth to check em out some day

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Hated the movement controls. Hated the UI. Never got past that so I quit.
    Alders

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

I didn't like their targeting implementation. I'm an all one or the other player, this mixed breed aim to tab target stuff I don't like.

The controls weren't terrible but I would much prefer to have my character locked in my cameras direction unless I'm deliberately wanting to look around my character. Meaning S=backward and A/D= strafing. Felt again like trying to combine action based aimed targeting/control scheme with tab-target and controls.

Like most of the new games, something that drives me away is stepping on mobs with every move. I don't want to have a world so filled with things to kill and people to talk to that I can't move 10 steps without them being there. I like needing to explore to find things. I like not knowing where things are or if/when they'll spawn next.
    Wait... You aimed then targeted? Haha. Hahahahahaha. While you can tab target you can also free aim. So you can be all one or the other if your wanted.

ESO has plenty of areas to explore and certainly doesn't have mobs overflowing areas. 
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    SlyLoK said:

Wait... You aimed then targeted? Haha. Hahahahahaha. While you can tab target you can also free aim. So you can be all one or the other if your wanted.

ESO has plenty of areas to explore and certainly doesn't have mobs overflowing areas. 
    I was saying that it is not actual free aim it's a horrible mixed implementation. Mortal and darkfall are the only mmorpgs to have real free aim. Dur..
  • samiisamii Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Yesus fk, 20k posts and dont want to learn a new game. Isnt it to figure out things part of a new game? That is usually best part of a games. You go and you dont know anything, that s the game. I wish I could start over so many games. These cry post just go so low nowadays. Wall of text, but nothing creative. Maybe go out and play real life, buut oh sht, u need to figure it out..
    ChildoftheShadows
    SlyLoK said:

I was saying that it is not actual free aim it's a horrible mixed implementation. Mortal and darkfall are the only mmorpgs to have real free aim. Dur..
    It is free aim.

Unless you are really meaning twitch.. ie projectiles homing on aimed at / targeted enemies upon activation in ESO vs not in DF and Mortal ( funny you use two of the worst games ever created to use as a comparative example ).
  • DarkFooriDarkFoori Newbie CommonPosts: 3
    edited May 2019
    Scorchien said:
      Your wrong again

*You're

Seems like the poor ESO fanboy needs to spend more time learning english than play this garbage game.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I have to admit when I first started playing after a long break, made a brand new character, I thought it was broken also.  Then I remembered how it worked.  I know they want that clean screen first experience but perhaps the default should be always show and you can change that option if you wish.  But this is also the game that needs an add-on for an on-screen map.
    Quizzical

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey