Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronicles of Elyria: Wherefore Art Thou? - MMORPG.com

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Amathe said:

I knew this game was headed off the rails when they said there would be permadeath. 

Wut? Did you read up how this would work? No? Okay....
    Awesome, when everything else being brought up is indefensible you zero in on one totally inane comment to reply to.

:D
    tweedledumb99ChildoftheShadowsYashaX

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LethallinLethallin Member CommonPosts: 1
    I hope this game comes out permadeath sounds like a real challenge that I'm looking forward to instead of all the whiners complaining about perma death I look forward to killing people and knowing they might be actually dead and the thought of perma dying myself is gonna be intense If this game does come out I'm gonna play the hell outta it
    Aeander[Deleted User]UngoodChildoftheShadowsYashaXSpottyGekko
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Lethallin said:
    I hope this game comes out permadeath sounds like a real challenge that I'm looking forward to instead of all the whiners complaining about perma death I look forward to killing people and knowing they might be actually dead and the thought of perma dying myself is gonna be intense If this game does come out I'm gonna play the hell outta it
    Let me be the first to welcome you to the forums, we're glad you are here.
    ChildoftheShadows

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    I backed the Repopulation before the Engine drama and have the same feeling of regret. It was the first “Early Access” game I purchased and will definitely be the last.
    ChildoftheShadows
  • mercstermercster Member UncommonPosts: 70
    To sum up:

Idea came up 2-3 years ago, dev dude thinks he has the system for the PERFECT MMORPG! Includes a lot of whales buying kingdoms, and they all say "But it's cool 'cuz some people will want to be peasants, they'll be doing fun stuff while us poor schlubs are running a kingdom!" I've never heard quite so much delusion, so early on in a project.

Year(s) go buy of book-length theory-crafting posts from dev.

Were gonna use SpatialOS, it was the backbone of everything; now not. Can only imagine the amount of thought and experience is going into these decisions.

First version of game: web-based tactical kingdom simulator! Oh, and a text based MUD on the side to "test stuff."

Months go by, more tl;dr masturbatory theory-crafting from game development savant.

New idea: first version will be voxel-based! Minecraft with our huge complex pay-to-dominate backend!

Mostly silence for half a year with occasional outbursts of "things are complicated..."

I never bought in, not for a dime. I was part of another sinking ship (SotA, I'm not immune) but heard about some people telling me this was going to be the best thing since sliced bread. I read the concept and developer diaries, and could tell from the general tone of the dev and community that this would never, ever be a successful MMORPG.

Sorry to anyone who "donated"! EDIT: Donated for multiple hundreds/thousands of dollars on whale packages, mind you
    Lokero[Deleted User]GdemamiChildoftheShadowsmmolouYashaXManWithNoTantweedledumb99
  • SabracSabrac Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Wow... Didn't knew CoE was in such bad state, i'm not a backer, i heard the buzz around this mmo a long time ago, ageing system, permanent death, real in game seasons, fully community driven, low fantasy, big focus in immersion and many other things.

It really caught my attention because of their unique approach to the mmo genre, this game was basically a RPer dream.

But i kinda observed from the distance and since their lack of updates to the general public made me thought they decided to just update their backers only but this is far worse that i would imagine.

Too bad, another kickstarter mmo that seems going to fail.
    GdemamiChildoftheShadows
  • befuddledbefuddled Member UncommonPosts: 1
    I didn't support this, but I have other Kickstarter gaming projects. For single-player games, it's been a positive experience. One MMO, and.....well, won't fool me twice. They need to get the backing of a stable publisher with sufficient resources, or they need to find another line of work.
    ChildoftheShadows
  • KaeolinnKaeolinn Member UncommonPosts: 3
    I had backed the kickstarter but withdrew before it completed. I liked the idea, but it just didn't seem doable. After talking with people a few months ago, I made the decision to back the game. Initially, I was still apprehensive as we haven't seen anything from a game that promised to be in alpha and beta in the last year. I invested enough to gain access to NDA materials and while I will not reveal anything, They are moving forward. It still concerns me that we still haven't seen any in game footage. Other games who announced at a similar time have been streaming their prealpha for the last year (Pantheon). I do believe in the game. I think they will release something. It's expected to be entirely different than other MMO's. I remain hopeful that it will be something to play for years to come.

GdemamiRidrithChildoftheShadowsSpottyGekkotweedledumb99
  • CembryeCembrye Member UncommonPosts: 65
    I supported on KS and still think it was worthwhile, given the different approach being taken. Like the author, I'm not ready to lay this in the casket just yet. However I agree with the comments above about the warning signs of feature creep. I am not a tech person, but I have managed large projects on deadlines and the key to pulling them off is to set reasonable, achievable goals and stick to a solid plan. As I watched development, while I understood the reasoning behind the MUD and other aspects, it made me wonder why every moment wasn't being spent on the core of the game. It was like discussing the drapes on the castle when the foundation hadn't even been finished. Anyway, I still have hopes, but it is unfortunately a feature of humans that trying anything new involves risk. I think the owner had/has good intentions, he just may have gotten sucked into something that turned into a cat's-cradle of challenges he is unable to solve. Count me /sad if this is the case.
    ChildoftheShadows
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    mercster said:
    To sum up:

Idea came up 2-3 years ago, dev dude thinks he has the system for the PERFECT MMORPG! Includes a lot of whales buying kingdoms, and they all say "But it's cool 'cuz some people will want to be peasants, they'll be doing fun stuff while us poor schlubs are running a kingdom!" I've never heard quite so much delusion, so early on in a project.

Were gonna use SpatialOS, it was the backbone of everything; now not. Can only imagine the amount of thought and experience is going into these decisions.

First version of game: web-based tactical kingdom simulator! Oh, and a text based MUD on the side to "test stuff."

Months go by, more tl;dr masturbatory theory-crafting from game development savant.

New idea: first version will be voxel-based! Minecraft with our huge complex pay-to-dominate backend!

Mostly silence for half a year with occasional outbursts of "things are complicated..."

I never bought in, not for a dime. I was part of another sinking ship (SotA, I'm not immune) but heard about some people telling me this was going to be the best thing since sliced bread. I read the concept and developer diaries, and could tell from the general tone of the dev and community that this would never, ever be a successful MMORPG.

Sorry to anyone who "donated"! EDIT: Donated for multiple hundreds/thousands of dollars on whale packages, mind you
    I like you.  Please post more often.
    GdemamiChildoftheShadowsYashaXManWithNoTanKyleran

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    edited January 2019
    mercster said:
    To sum up:

Good hell.. I that that was your Post.. not someone you quote...

and you didn't even give them an Awesome or an Agree.. how skinflint
    ChildoftheShadows
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Ungood said:
    mercster said:
    To sum up:

Good hell.. I that that was your Post.. not someone you quote.
    I agree. He shows promise.
    ChildoftheShadows

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Lethallin said:
    Permadeath is not a challenge it is an annoyance and the longer you live, the more it will hurt.  The amount of keyboards broken and holes in the wall from mice thrown against the wall would be awesome youtube material but lets not kid ourselves to think it is a fun mechanic because you will die, lose all your stuff, and you will be pissed and likely quit.
    Beyond that, in the wisdom of Caspien...they have tied this pain point to the monetization.  So now you have died, lost your character and they want you to spend $30 or something to start over.

LOL

That is not going to end well. Except of course for these early backers/IvoryTower who already have a dozen sparks of life from all the money they spent.  But the average player who was a peasant is going to think long and hard before spending more money to be someone else’s serf.

ChildoftheShadowsSpottyGekkoKyleran

TimEisen said:
    I want to welcome all of the new and uncharacteristically positive folks that made an account to join in this conversation. Always nice to have some new people contributing.

@timeisen Wow... I don’t know whether to stand and applaud you or cry that they have driven all Hope from even you.

To me it always comes down to a few simple things. Say what you mean. Do what you say you will do in roughly the time you say you will do it.

It’s fine for a developer to talk the talk and push back on detractors. But then they better walk the walk and do what they said.

Simply pulling Caspiens own words and then comparing them to reality should be all anyone needs to know about this project. From the silly timelines, to SpatialOS being what would enable all their lofty promises, to ElyriaMUD, to VoxElyria... to the Prelude... on and on and on there has been a massive deficiency in delivering.

As I said in a recent thread comparing his Jan 2018 State of Elyria to what really was delivered last year, it’s easy to waste other people’s money.

I still think it would make an interesting column for you to take the statements from the various Kickstarter MMORPGs from a year ago and compare them to reality today.

The only thing Luke skywalker and I have in common is atubvirn hope. Him for his dad and me because thats all that’s there.

But now we have Grumpy (and dead) Luke...
    ChildoftheShadows

It made it to the Discord... with the inevitable defense mechanism that this site is paid by publishers and since CoE doesn’t pay up they get bad article.  Pretty funny to read.

On the plus side it produced a few new posters so maybe a few a will stick around.  That’s always a good thing.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]ChildoftheShadowsKyleran

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041

Amathe said:

I knew this game was headed off the rails when they said there would be permadeath. 

Wut? Did you read up how this would work? No? Okay....
    The only thing Permadead is this game....

(And yes, New Members That Are Strangely Positive, that was a joke. I would love to be proven wrong by a great game but I highly doubt it.)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    GdemamiChildoftheShadows[Deleted User]Kyleran
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    edited January 2019
    I am not sure we should have articles about indie games from those who back them. Is it possible to detach yourself from the money you have put in? Either hoping for success in the early days or despairing you will ever see a game as the years go by.

Also I think it might be good for the health of those who write gaming articles not to be put in this position, life has enough drama without buying into it. :)
    GdemamiMendeltweedledumb99
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Scot said:
    I am not sure we should have articles about indie games from those who back them. Is it possible to detach yourself from the money you have put in? Either hoping for success in the early days or despairing you will ever see a game as the years go by.

Also I think it might be good for the health of those who write gaming articles not to be put in this position, life has enough drama without buying into it. :)
    What next? No reviews of released games from those who have actually bought and played the game?
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]SpottyGekkoKylerantweedledumb99
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Iselin said:
    Scot said:

What next? No reviews of released games from those who have actually bought and played the game?
    I am for no forums at all. Everyone here has registered on the website to be able to post here. I am not sure people that display these kinds of interest can form an objective opinion at all.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    DakeruIselinOzmodanTacticalZombeh[Deleted User]ScotMendel[Deleted User]SpottyGekkotweedledumb99
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    lahnmir said:
    Iselin said:
    Scot said:

I am for no forums at all. Everyone here has registered on the website to be able to post here. I am not sure people that display these kinds of interest can form an objective opinion at all.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Can't decide whether to give you an awesome or a lol.
    Please accept my honest meant lolsome.
    lahnmirSpottyGekkotweedledumb99
    Harbinger of Fools
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Kaeolyn said:
    I had backed the kickstarter but withdrew before it completed. I liked the idea, but it just didn't seem doable. After talking with people a few months ago, I made the decision to back the game. Initially, I was still apprehensive as we haven't seen anything from a game that promised to be in alpha and beta in the last year. I invested enough to gain access to NDA materials and while I will not reveal anything, They are moving forward. It still concerns me that we still haven't seen any in game footage. Other games who announced at a similar time have been streaming their prealpha for the last year (Pantheon). I do believe in the game. I think they will release something. It's expected to be entirely different than other MMO's. I remain hopeful that it will be something to play for years to come.

I feel sorry for you, my condolences.
    Slapshot1188
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Lethallin said:
    Permadeath is not a challenge it is an annoyance and the longer you live, the more it will hurt.  The amount of keyboards broken and holes in the wall from mice thrown against the wall would be awesome youtube material but lets not kid ourselves to think it is a fun mechanic because you will die, lose all your stuff, and you will be pissed and likely quit.
    Beyond that, in the wisdom of Caspien...they have tied this pain point to the monetization.  So now you have died, lost your character and they want you to spend $30 or something to start over.

LOL

That is not going to end well. Except of course for these early backers/IvoryTower who already have a dozen sparks of life from all the money they spent.  But the average player who was a peasant is going to think long and hard before spending more money to be someone else’s serf.

"That is not going to end well"

Lol, I see Slap is at it again with the misleading narrative; how can something "end" if it never even starts?
    DakeruSlapshot1188Ozmodan
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    My take on kickstarter is this:

Why gamble on something that may come to fruition when you can just wait for the stuff that actually comes to fruition. The benefit of KS a game is not worth the gamble in my opinion. 
    IselinYashaXScot
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    edited January 2019

Why gamble on something that may come to fruition when you can just wait for the stuff that actually comes to fruition. The benefit of KS a game is not worth the gamble in my opinion. 
    If the game can only come to fruition with Kickstarter? After all this is the real benefit of Kickstarter... not the rewards. 
    Gdemamitweedledumb99
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

If the game can only come to fruition with Kickstarter? After all this is the real benefit of Kickstarter... not the rewards. 
    There has never been a MMO on kickstarter that acually released.
    Gdemami
    Harbinger of Fools