Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2018 State of Elyria Retrospective

Comments

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    New statement by Caspien... they didn't cut SpatialOS, they merely chose a different technology stack.   LOL!

When you cannot make progress, redefine the history of what you said so that it looks like no promises were made.  An adult-in-the-room is desperately needed there.

craftseeker

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,927
    edited January 2019
    Mendel said:
    New statement by Caspien... they didn't cut SpatialOS, they merely chose a different technology stack.   LOL!

When you cannot make progress, redefine the history of what you said so that it looks like no promises were made.  An adult-in-the-room is desperately needed there.

I've been saying that, literally... for years.   It's why I do things like actually POST the prior year's State of Elyria.  To show what was stated in his own words, and contrast it with what was actually produced.

The Ivory Tower never questions.  Just nods at the latest "new" statements and then usually follows it up with the obligatory "Thanks for working so hard!"

WellspringGdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    I'm a CU backer.

CSE were wildly off in their estimated timelines at release.

Some people give them shit (trolling) for missing deadlines, other people (me including) are just a mix of critical-but-hopeful about them making a game that's good - even if the good game is late.

Question: why are people so much more critical of CoE than of CU for being late, considering the financial scope of each project seems similar?

Note: I don't know a ton about CoE.
    One other observation in addition to the points mentioned above: CoE's crowdfunding model is based on selling in game power - they have taken a page out of the Star Citizen playbook and sell backers virtual goods/in game power.

Its probably even worse in this "game" (its really just a scam to dupe people into giving them money as far as I can tell), considering they sell I think it is/was $10,000 packages to buy kingdoms? Something insane like that.

Its quite strange really. I have even recently seen some youtubers salivating over this "game", apparently thinking its going to be the best thing since sliced bread, but when you take a closer look there is nothing there except sales of virtual items that don't even exist yet.

GdemamiNildentweedledumb99
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    YashaX said:
    I'm a CU backer.

Some people give them shit (trolling) for missing deadlines, other people (me including) are just a mix of critical-but-hopeful about them making a game that's good - even if the good game is late.

Question: why are people so much more critical of CoE than of CU for being late, considering the financial scope of each project seems similar?

One other observation in addition to the points mentioned above: CoE's crowdfunding model is based on selling in game power - they have taken a page out of the Star Citizen playbook and sell backers virtual goods/in game power.

Its probably even worse in this "game" (its really just a scam to dupe people into giving them money as far as I can tell), considering they sell I think it is/was $10,000 packages to buy kingdoms? Something insane like that.

Its quite strange really. I have even recently seen some youtubers salivating over this "game", apparently thinking its going to be the best thing since sliced bread, but when you take a closer look there is nothing there except sales of virtual items that don't even exist yet.

Only a measily 10.000? Star Citizen laughs at that with its 27.000 dollar Legatus Pack.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    YashaXNilden
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    lahnmir said:
    YashaX said:
    I'm a CU backer.

Only a measily 10.000? Star Citizen laughs at that with its 27.000 dollar Legatus Pack.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Yeah maybe that's the problem, they obviously need to charge more for that stuff to get to an alpha stage at least.
    lahnmirKyleranNildentweedledumb99
    YashaX said:
    lahnmir said:
    YashaX said:
    I'm a CU backer.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Yeah maybe that's the problem, they obviously need to charge more for that stuff to get to an alpha stage at least.
    Give it time.  They recently sold their first “Legendary” items in the store. I believe they were $1500 each and they sold out in seconds.  I also believe they said these were the cheapest but I’m not sure if that referred to cheapest Legendary Location (these were Inns) or cheapest Legendaries over all.
    tweedledumb99

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this. But saying "no features have been cut" but then adding in "oh but some have been changed". It's pretty much the same thing to me. I don't have discord anymore so can't check this up for myself, did he go into anymore detail about which features were changed around? Cause really without him explaining what features were changed. That whole comment is utterly pointless. Unless assuming someone was asking him if something has been cut. 

I would also wonder why changing them around so early. Surely SBS couldn't tell much of anything playing pre-elyria themselves. I thought most changes would really happen in alpha. Not basically on the drawing board before anyone can even really test them.

Also can't help but compare this to blizzard. Over the years saying "we cut this from the game cause it wasn't fun anymore". While have zero idea what their playerbase even finds fun.
    Gdemami
    edited January 2019
    Torrsk said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this. But saying "no features have been cut" but then adding in "oh but some have been changed". It's pretty much the same thing to me. I don't have discord anymore so can't check this up for myself, did he go into anymore detail about which features were changed around? Cause really without him explaining what features were changed. That whole comment is utterly pointless. Unless assuming someone was asking him if something has been cut. 

Look... his very first statement is that they didn't cut SpatialOS, they just are using something else...

Do you really need to go any further to realize how useless his communication is?  But nobody in that Discord would even dare point out that the Emperor Has No Clothes. They just nod along as those that statement makes total sense.   

Of course SpatialOS wasn't cut!!  They are just using something else instead!  Those damn Harbingers always trying to spin negativity...

Post edited by Slapshot1188 on
    KylerancraftseekerGdemamitweedledumb99

• jahlonjahlon Member UncommonPosts: 388

We didn't cut SpatialOS....

...but we cut SpatialOS....

cause we aren't using SpatialOS.

Slapshot1188Kylerancraftseekertweedledumb99
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    jahlon said:

Looking too closely at SBS/CoE's statements will give you a headache.  Logic, truly, makes them seem clueless, to paraphrase my signature quote.

YashaXKylerantweedledumb99

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• jahlonjahlon Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Mendel said:
    jahlon said:

Looking too closely at SBS/CoE's statements will give you a headache.  Logic, truly, makes them seem clueless, to paraphrase my signature quote.

I stopped following CoE because Caspian is one of those people who thinks he is the smartest guy in the room, but the truth is he has surrounded himself with yes men who tell him every idea he has is solid gold.

Clearly if you follow the development of CoE, they didn't really have a clue.  
    Slapshot1188Mendel[Deleted User]KylerancraftseekerLokeroNildenGdemamiDakerutweedledumb99and 1 other.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372
    jahlon said:
    Mendel said:
    jahlon said:

I stopped following CoE because Caspian is one of those people who thinks he is the smartest guy in the room, but the truth is he has surrounded himself with yes men who tell him every idea he has is solid gold.

From Day 1.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

But they DID have Gantt Charts!
    tweedledumb99

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Kyleran said:
    jahlon said:
    Mendel said:
    jahlon said:

From Day 1.
    Way back at the beginning of this I pointed out that Caspian 's only previous project was some genealogy software. In that example he promised big, delivered nothing, and eventually folded his tent and went back to being someone else's employee. 

So why does it surprise anyone that on this project he promised big and has delivered nothing? Particularly, with no previous game development experience. He is obviously totally out of his depth.
    Kylerantweedledumb99
    Kyleran said:
    jahlon said:
    Mendel said:
    jahlon said:

From Day 1.
    Way back at the beginning of this I pointed out that Caspian 's only previous project was some genealogy software. In that example he promised big, delivered nothing, and eventually folded his tent and went back to being someone else's employee. 

So why does it surprise anyone that on this project he promised big and has delivered nothing? Particularly, with no previous game development experience. He is obviously totally out of his depth.
    Thanks for sharing info on Caspian's background,  I  was sorta thinking it was more along the lines of carnival sideshow pitchman or perhaps even a snake charmer.

;)
    craftseeker

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    edited January 2019
    But they DID have Gantt Charts!
    Allegedly... I don't think anyone ever got to see them. They probably "didn't cut" those too. 
    Slapshot1188craftseekerMadFrenchie
    --------------------------------------------
  • TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Look... his very first statement is that they didn't cut SpatialOS, they just are using something else...

Do you really need to go any further to realize how useless his communication is?  But nobody in that Discord would even dare point out that the Emperor Has No Clothes. They just nod along as those that statement makes total sense.   

Of course SpatialOS wasn't cut!!  They are just using something else instead!  Those damn Harbingers always trying to spin negativity...

Don't really need to. I have been one of a few, that for years have been complaining how utterly crap their communication is. Was a good day when Caspian finally replied to me saying something like "Our communication is fine. It doesn't need to be improved upon".

All the while I'm waiting for their state of elyria post. Who knows, maybe it was only released on discord like 99% of the other things. Not that I really follow the game much anymore. Got over nothing coming out but more lame events. Though it does give me a laugh whenever they release anything and seeing people comment how awesome it is. When they really shown nothing. I sometimes wonder how people have so much money to throw at the game, when they seem so brain dead.
    craftseekerGdemami
    Torrsk said:

All the while I'm waiting for their state of elyria post. Who knows, maybe it was only released on discord like 99% of the other things. N
    I think he's been scared off of making an official State of Elyria post.  His latest blurb was that he would put out a 0.5 update blog since that was the state of the game.

Torrsk said:

All the while I'm waiting for their state of elyria post. Who knows, maybe it was only released on discord like 99% of the other things. N
    I think he's been scared off of making an official State of Elyria post.  His latest blurb was that he would put out a 0.5 update blog since that was the state of the game.
    You may recall he really did the same last summer with what was a .4 update blog.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    jahlon said:

I stopped following CoE because Caspian is one of those people who thinks he is the smartest guy in the room, but the truth is he has surrounded himself with yes men who tell him every idea he has is a solid gold.
    ....sounds like Slapshot very much.
    YashaXKyleran[Deleted User]
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Gdemami said:
    jahlon said:

I stopped following CoE because Caspian is one of those people who thinks he is the smartest guy in the room, but the truth is he has surrounded himself with yes men who tell him every idea he has is a solid gold.
    Which ideas exactly did Slapshot have that made us fork over money for projects which were then cut?
    Oh pardon me, I mean they were not cut of course we just stopped using them.
    YashaXKylerancraftseeker[Deleted User]tweedledumb99
    Harbinger of Fools
    edited January 2019
    Dakeru said:
    Gdemami said:
    jahlon said:

Which ideas exactly did Slapshot have that made us fork over money for projects which were then cut?
    Speaking of which.  For the February sale I am going to sell some Legendary Harbinger robes.  Actual robes which were worn while posting. Each will come with Lore around it based on a specific post.

March is even better.  That will feature Robes and associated documentation detailing FUTURE posts.  I will walk you through epic posts which are unlike any others you have seen and for a small 5 figure fee YOU can read about them before they exist!

Save up.  

Speaking of which...  the 0.5 update should be out shortly and will probably have an associated sale.  Doesn’t look like we get a State Of Elyria this Jan for the first time in years.   Wonder why?

WellspringMadFrenchieKylerantweedledumb99[Deleted User]

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Actual robes which were worn while posting.
    Not sure if serious :expressionless:
    You do sometimes seem to take your prophesying seriously... :worried:

...I wonder if there's also a complementary hat you also don before accessing the forums?
    Kylerancraftseeker
    Harbingering is serious business.
    craftseekerDakeru

Dakeru said:
    Gdemami said:
    jahlon said:

Speaking of which.  For the February sale I am going to sell some Legendary Harbinger robes.  Actual robes which were worn while posting. Each will come with Lore around it based on a specific post.

March is even better.  That will feature Robes and associated documentation detailing FUTURE posts.  I will walk you through epic posts which are unlike any others you have seen and for a small 5 figure fee YOU can read about them before they exist!

Save up.  

Speaking of which...  the 0.5 update should be out shortly and will probably have an associated sale.  Doesn’t look like we get a State Of Elyria this Jan for the first time in years.   Wonder why?

You"ll know the robes are authentic as many will be covered in cat hair. 

;)
    craftseeker