Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VR would get WAY more pledge people (money), if...

LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294
they would change their policies of telling the world what their alpha/beta plans are. If I knew, the alpha would start in lets say june, I would definitly buy a big 250-500dolllar pledge, right now. But now I know nothing. Weather this game will go into alpha in 4 years or in summer this year, making a bigger investment like 250-500 dollars not rational for me. People need to know what is going on to get trust! Think about that VR :-)

NorseGodmcd6993

Comments

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    They could do a lot of things if their goal was to raise money now, but it seems they're comfortable with their current funding. Unlike most crowdfunded games, they don't have a cash shop and aren't doing sales events every other week.

They appear to actually be working on building their game and will reap the profits of their hard work at launch. Not trying to cash in now based on empty promises. 

All that being said, this should make you want to pledge!
    MendelGdemamidcutbi001KilsinKayo83mmolou
    --------------------------------------------
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Am I the only one who read this is "Virtual Reality would get way more pledge people..."?

laxieKyleranPhaserlightSandmanjwInteritusmmoloudragonlee66DakeruLackingMMOAethaeryn

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited January 2019
    Am I the only one who read this is "Virtual Reality would get way more pledge people..."?

Exactly what I first thought reading the title.  The communication hazards of using commonly understood initialisms outside of previously established definitions.

You know, like AoC, ATM, EA and of course, MMO.

Cheers

:D
    PhaserlightPanther2103

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited January 2019
    Lonzo said:
    they would change their policies of telling the world what their alpha/beta plans are. If I knew, the alpha would start in lets say june, I would definitly buy a big 250-500dolllar pledge, right now. But now I know nothing. Weather this game will go into alpha in 4 years or in summer this year, making a bigger investment like 250-500 dollars not rational for me. People need to know what is going on to get trust! Think about that VR :-)
    Quit being cheap, as I understand $1K gets you test access today, go big or go home. ;)
    kitaradWellspringOctagon7711dcutbi001SovrathAdamantinemcd6993

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    "Pledge people." I keep hearing Neidermeyer in Animal House spitting out "Is that a Pledge Pin?"

Maybe VR should sell pledge pins? Some type of physical (not in game) thing that says you supported Pantheon. 
    Kylerankitarad[Deleted User]Slapshot1188Dakeru

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Amathe said:
    "Pledge people." I keep hearing Neidermeyer in Animal House spitting out "Is that a Pledge Pin?"

Maybe VR should sell pledge pins? Some type of physical (not in game) thing that says you supported Pantheon. 
    They could have different tiers, from basic silver for say $50 bucks up to jewel encrusted ones for those in the $1K category.

I think we've found a winner here folks.

;)
    Mendel

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Kyleran said:
    Amathe said:

They could have different tiers, from basic silver for say $50 bucks up to jewel encrusted ones for those in the $1K category.

I think we've found a winner here folks.

;)
    Don't stop there.  Think Tutankhamun's tomb-level jewelry.  Exaggeration is at its best when over exaggerated.

Kyleran

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

They could do a lot of things if their goal was to raise money now, but it seems they're comfortable with their current funding. Unlike most crowdfunded games, they don't have a cash shop and aren't doing sales events every other week.

They appear to actually be working on building their game and will reap the profits of their hard work at launch. Not trying to cash in now based on empty promises. 

VR/Pantheon has one or more private investors; their financial state is stable and well-funded.  A crowdfunded campaign, given their fiscal health, would seem as scammy and underhanded as competitive CF projects.

I may not think much of the Pantheon product and its long term appeal, but I can appreciate how VR is going about funding/building their idea.  A game built the right way!  (They can use that for promotional purposes if they like).  Leave the cesspool to those that dwell there.

GdemamiKyleran

• dcutbi001dcutbi001 Member UncommonPosts: 49
    edited January 2019
    Mid 2018 they intended on having Alpha 1 hit in Q1 2019, but scrapped that plan as they were not where they wanted to be for that release. I think it's reasonably safe to say you will see Alpha 1 this year, but in my opinion it'll be more of a question of when this year. In my gut I'm feeling Q3 or Q4, but that's just a dude on the internet guessing. 
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Kyleran said:

Maybe a Brad McQuaid bobblehead? The possibilities are endless. 
    Kyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Kyleran said:
    Lonzo said:
    Quit being cheap, as I understand $1K gets you test access today, go big or go home. ;)
    I feel obliged to correct my previous statement, pre-alpha testing is currently suspended, however you can sign up on their website and they'll let you know when it reopens.

Mendel said:

VR/Pantheon has one or more private investors; their financial state is stable and well-funded.  A crowdfunded campaign, given their fiscal health, would seem as scammy and underhanded as competitive CF projects.

I may not think much of the Pantheon product and its long term appeal, but I can appreciate how VR is going about funding/building their idea.  A game built the right way!  (They can use that for promotional purposes if they like).  Leave the cesspool to those that dwell there.

Would it surprise you to know they have a fully fleshed out pledge web site with about 15 or more tiers players can buy in or upgrade to?

In their November pledge drive (yep, they keep running them), they took a revolutionary approach,  they asked backers for funding of new hires and offered nothing in terms of a reward, outside of a "special" nameplate they can display in game.

Even better, it will be designed by the artists which are hired from the funds, my guess it might say something like "My Meal Ticket" or other slogan of sincere appreciation.

No, I'm not making this stuff, I'm no where nearly that "creative. "

I wonder how this "news" escaped the staff here at MMORPG.com?

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/9582/a-special-november-pledge-drive/view/page/1
    [Deleted User]Mendelmcd6993

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Kyleran said:

Exactly what I first thought reading the title.  The communication hazards of using commonly understood initialisms outside of previously established definitions.

Cheers

Are you saying those are established or not? The list itself confuses me because only one seems like a solid yes lol.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    I think they should keep it from the public as long as possible.  Let them work, if they start letting people play too early the rummers will start and you know how that goes.

Let them work !
    edited January 2019
    Kyleran said:

Cheers

Are you saying those are established or not? The list itself confuses me because only one seems like a solid yes lol.
    Definitely all are established and quite clear, but you join many in your lack of clarity.

No worries though, as I'm here to "help."

"Nurse, lube up the electrodes"

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

Cheers

Definitely all are established and quite clear, but you join many in your lack of clarity.

AoC has always been Age of Conan
    ATM Automatic teller machine, at the moment, (something else?)
    EA - Electronic Arts, Early Access
    MMO - massively multiplayer online - the only solid one.
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

Cheers

AoC has always been Age of Conan
    ATM Automatic teller machine, at the moment, (something else?)
    EA - Electronic Arts, Early Access
    MMO - massively multiplayer online - the only solid one.
    My mistake,  we appear to be in almost total agreement.  Is there a blood moon up or something?

;)

Kyleran said:
    Mendel said:

Would it surprise you to know they have a fully fleshed out pledge web site with about 15 or more tiers players can buy in or upgrade to?

In their November pledge drive (yep, they keep running them), they took a revolutionary approach,  they asked backers for funding of new hires and offered nothing in terms of a reward, outside of a "special" nameplate they can display in game.

Even better, it will be designed by the artists which are hired from the funds, my guess it might say something like "My Meal Ticket" or other slogan of sincere appreciation.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/9582/a-special-november-pledge-drive/view/page/1
    They keep their indulgences of slimy business tactics well hidden, it seems.   That's the first I've seen this on MMORPG.com.  Thanks for the correction, @Kyleran.

I'm gonna guess that the 'special' name will be in the form of "Benefactor_0093217".

----------
    But seriously, if they have secure funding as they seem to keep boasting about, why do they need to stoop to more fundraising?  Maybe their funding isn't as bountiful and secure as they have tried to lead us to believe?  How many Angel Investors does it take to fuel this MMORPG development thing?

Gdemami

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Lonzo said:
    I'd drop some money on this. However, Star Citizen may have ruined that.

I hope crowdfunding doesn't disappear if Star Citizen does. That would be bad for other indy studios that actually make games.
    mcd6993
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
    Mendel said:
    Kyleran said:
    Mendel said:

They keep their indulgences of slimy business tactics well hidden, it seems.   That's the first I've seen this on MMORPG.com.  Thanks for the correction, @Kyleran.

I'm gonna guess that the 'special' name will be in the form of "Benefactor_0093217".

----------
    But seriously, if they have secure funding as they seem to keep boasting about, why do they need to stoop to more fundraising?  Maybe their funding isn't as bountiful and secure as they have tried to lead us to believe?  How many Angel Investors does it take to fuel this MMORPG development thing?

Same thing MJ said he would use the extra investor funding he got last year, to hire more developers to "speed" up delivery.

Can't imagine what the original timelines were....2024 I guess.
    Phaserlight

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Im happy they arent asking for money and am happy to wait as well.  
  • Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    edited January 2019
    I think I "pledged" in before summer 2016 ... $100 to $150 package, lowest tier that included alpha back then. Still waiting despite alpha being well underway for a while now. They cant even honor 2+ year old alpha pledges (yet?) so I wouldnt recommend anyone bother with the more recent ones. Even if they did say "its coming in June" doesnt necessarily mean itll include you.
    Kyleran
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Kayo83 said:
    I think I "pledged" in before summer 2016 ... $100 to $150 package, lowest tier that included alpha back then. Still waiting despite alpha being well underway for a while now. They cant even honor 2+ year old alpha pledges (yet?) so I wouldnt recommend anyone bother with the more recent ones. Even if they did say "its coming in June" doesnt necessarily mean itll include you.
    "Pre-Alpha" is underway, not Alpha. There's a difference...

Pre-Alpha is the name they chose for their "very early access to the game as a tester", which was included as far back as the original KS with the Paragon package.

You'll get your alpha access at the same time as everyone else -- when they actually move into the Alpha phase.
    Kayo83
    --------------------------------------------
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    People may not like their fund raising, but they seem to have been pretty honest about things so far.  If they were selling gear to provide funding, I wouldn't be as interested in the game, since it isn't supposed to be p2w/p2a.

I am hoping with more funding they can speed up the timeline maybe by 6 months or a year, but only when its ready.

They had a real small team for a long time, and it probably still is very small, compared to a lot of other companies.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Mendel said:
    Kyleran said:
    Mendel said:

----------
    Having a private investor doesn't mean that the investor is willing to foot the entire bill...

I know it seems like when people hear a studio say that they have an investor there's some image of infinite financial backing.
    Without some kind of financial report, there's no telling how much that investor is actually covering.

It could be as simple as that person offered to pay the rent on the building, but isn't covering staff salaries, etc.  There's simply no telling unless they give more detailed information... I doubt many studios would.

You could hand them $100K and be an investor, but that certainly isn't going to get them to launch.