Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can you see the difference?

RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 6,613
I love when game developers advertise their games with "real in-game footage" for their game trailers...

Only for it to end up looking completely different...

NildenXodicMaurgrimOctagon7711

Comments

• ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,315
    this is why i returned the game... False advertising
    RhoklawMaurgrim
    I changed my profile picture, sorry

Proud supporter of Ship of Heroes, Fractured, Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen, and Saga of Lucimia 

Currently playing: Ghost Recon: Breakpoint, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, and Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 6,613
    Arterius said:
    Well, for future reference, this video helped me realize I will NEVER purchase an online game with open world voice chat. Listening to someone blast their awful music taste is something I just can't deal with.

I can deal with graphic glitches and latency, but not that.
    Octagon7711wanderica

• RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 6,613
    Best comment so far in that video...

ArteriusMisterZebubNildenrojoArcueidPhry

• ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,315
    Rhoklaw said:
    Arterius said:
    Well, for future reference, this video helped me realize I will NEVER purchase an online game with open world voice chat. Listening to someone blast their awful music taste is something I just can't deal with.

I can deal with graphic glitches and latency, but not that.
    Haha Fallout 76 taught me that one
    Rhoklaw
    I changed my profile picture, sorry

Proud supporter of Ship of Heroes, Fractured, Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen, and Saga of Lucimia 

Currently playing: Ghost Recon: Breakpoint, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, and Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• MisterZebubMisterZebub Member LegendaryPosts: 3,584
    Rhoklaw said:
    I love when game developers advertise their games with "real in-game footage" for their game trailers...

Only for it to end up looking completely different...

Between this and them making a totally separate server for the Twitch streamers, I think the people that bought the game may have a point about false advertising.
    RhoklawArteriusURMAKERKyleranThaharOctagon7711

"You have kept me at your beck and call for fifteen years. I shall never again do what you demand of me. By every rule of single combat, from this moment your life belongs to me. Is that not correct? Then I shall simply declare you dead. In all of your dealings with me, you'll do me the courtesy to conduct yourself as a dead man. I have submitted to your notions of honor long enough. You will now submit to mine."

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 2,415
    That dragon looks amazing! Why do they keep cutting to that other really terrible game in the video though?
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 558
    I thought people knew their "game experience" would be different from advertisement trailers once they got into their early teens at the latest.
    You guys, lol
    KyleranLouchar
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 7,130
    edited December 2018
    That is more trolling than anything else tbh.

The gameplay showcased is overall there, the visuals are also at par if you can handle them. Nitpicking the game at its worst doesn't change that.

As Atlas has a very ark-like start with the resource collection/base build and initial gear crafting, only once advanced enough is when you'll see those bits of the game in action, most of the trailer is late-game stuff, including bosses.

Because aside of this, I've seen a lot of whiny people parroting stuff that is just wtf to me, like the people having a go "IT'S NOT MMO THEY LIED!!!!".... Guild Wars 2 is accepted as one MMO (that has the usual 150 player cap per map) but have the biggest go on Atlas for having the same cap per server area. --'

I think Atlas will end up as a mainstream MMO once the game surfaces over the release dramas.
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
    natpickboris20Louchar
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 16,649
    Well this was to be expected,we have seen this marketing for years now with movies,show the best parts all rolled into a video then the movie is bland.
    it is sad marketing to also use big name streamers to attract sales even those streamers couldn't care less about the game.I am ok using named streamers IF they actually want to play and liek the game of which i doubt more than 1% do.

Example Summit1g already playing a different game after what 2-3 days of Atlas?Cohh also moved on to playing other games as are others.Forsen still there but he won't be much longer,i can tell he is already getting bored.Burkeblack/Timmic still there,i think they actually like Pirate games which is likely why they are still there.
    Pvp as also expected is just dumb,like seeing a band of 10-20 attacking a few random players is meaningless,what is the purpose....to get their stuff..pfft i'll pass.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• malikhigh1978malikhigh1978 Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Here's my thing. I don't understand with all the mmo's out there, and rather good pvp, why does pvp always gotta suck ass in these survival games? I love the survival games, but why can't we have a hotbar, with some cool abilities? Yeah, have items you craft, and can use in battle as well, but lets make it interesting. Also, something Atlas did which has really got me down, is I wanted a refund, but because I was trying for hours on end to get in, steam refused my refund because it was more than 2 hours "played" time. It is what it is, but it really sucks. I'll give the game a further shot, since I really have no choice, other than take my lumps, but I sure hope they learn from this, and improve the game. Also, the vitamin system blows, it should be zero negatives, and instead, provide buffs if you have an abundance of whichever one. Don't fuck with fluidity of gameplay. If you launch, make sure the situation is stable. If you are boasting 40k player servers, don't put UBER low player caps on starting zones, and GREATLY restrict respawning of resources. Again, it stifles gameplay, and the fun aspect.
    YashaX
  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,739
    edited December 2018
    MaxBacon said:
    That is more trolling than anything else tbh.

The gameplay showcased is overall there, the visuals are also at par if you can handle them. Nitpicking the game at its worst doesn't change that.

As Atlas has a very ark-like start with the resource collection/base build and initial gear crafting, only once advanced enough is when you'll see those bits of the game in action, most of the trailer is late-game stuff, including bosses.

Because aside of this, I've seen a lot of whiny people parroting stuff that is just wtf to me, like the people having a go "IT'S NOT MMO THEY LIED!!!!".... Guild Wars 2 is accepted as one MMO (that has the usual 150 player cap per map) but have the biggest go on Atlas for having the same cap per server area. --'

I think Atlas will end up as a mainstream MMO once the game surfaces over the release dramas.

You are making an assumption that they will fix performance issues in PvP with two dozen players let alone 150 in one area fighting.

I bet you they dont and performance in PvP remains a complete shitshow for as long as this game exists.

Remember that this is ARK under the hood and performance in ARK is still ass today. 

Outside unfinished content, the PvP performance is the biggest issue in Atlas.

AethaerynYashaXTrolldefender99d_20Kyleranpoorbaby
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 992
    edited December 2018
    I played ARK so i knew what tot expect, feel people over hyped themselves in the desperation of finding a new game, even though they knew the type of games the company make. 

Like most ARK trailers they show off the best parts, well most trailers tbh, which tends to be endgame content or things you can't do for a good few plays . Also the keyword "survival", that should have said it all, it's like people who dislike this kind of gameplay played it expecting something else.

Were people honestly expecting to see everything in the trailer in the first few hours of playing or not have the slow ass grind and boring health management system, knowing that these people made ARK? Unless none of what was shown does not exist in the game?

Imho people threw money at a early access title from the devs that made ARK, not saying it's a good game or people should be quite, just people put themselves in this situation with high expectations, knowing it's a survival game made by the people who made ARK /shurg
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,043
    I honestly didn't realize it was an ARK offshoot at first.  I didn't mind that but when I thought about long term. . this team being able to pull it off?  I just don't know.  

The movement, animations, server issues etc. are not likely an easy fix.  I think it could work but definitely one to wait and see on.

I do think they mislead people with the very late reveal and quick release.  They also released during Christmas when people are in a frenzy and excited.  I held off for a few days.  

That the claim on the early access page.   People always argue both sides of "its EA" but the when out of their way to make it sound like it was ready to go.   I suppose they did say "around"  and Day One is capitalized.  makes me think they, again, where being deceptive.

Can you actually use a grappling hook like in that video to board like that ?

What is the current state of the Early Access version?

“Everything in the features section will be there around Early Access Launch and the game will be an unparalleled massively multiplayer experience from Day One.”

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

edited January 16
    Short answer,it is 99% all there.
    Game is in a much better state 2 weeks after launch when it was atrocious.

Game went from often non playable,now crashes are maybe once a day.
    If you can handle some small setbacks,the game will keep you busy and entertained if you want to fight stuff or build and sail ships,go treasure hunting,taming pets and mounts,harvesting,hunting,fishing,swimming is scary knowing large hammerhead sharks exist along with the ever present manta Ray's.

Giant Fire Elementals,the ever scary/nasty Gorgon"Medussa",Cyclops,scorpions,lions and tigers and bears oh my lol.You can build stuff,giant homes or stables small ships to large galleon, lots of stuff to do.

Was this developer pulling a scummy move on release,most certainly but in the end i am happy with my purchase and feel the game has some value.This after being mostly disappointed in my last 10+ game purchases.
    Rest assured,it's all there and fun and risky and scary and tedious and challenging etc etc.
    KyleranConstantineMerusblueturtle13kitarad

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Let me put it this way,how often do you feel immersed jumping off a giant cliff into the ocean to flee a pack of wolves or lions or Fire Elemental?Almost never,most of the time we are hanging out in instances killing trash looking for boss loot.
    I  have jumped off cliffs into the ground,ocean,bounced off walls lol to save my life.Nothing funnier than seeing a lion over jump and go sailing over your head into the water.Jump onto high rocks to escape a scorpion or angry Rhino.

MMORPG's are NOT delivering on any immersion,they have become so generic it is pathetic,all the designs the same.You want to feel afraid ,be challenged,no hand holding no p2w,well this is one of the few games that can do it even if half assed other mmorpgs are not doing it at all.
    KyleranConstantineMerusblueturtle13

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,420
    I never played ARK but if you actually read what they promised it was going to be the most amazing MMORPG today.   As soon as I realized that I knew this was another scam.  People on this site at this point must be alert to these type of promises.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 34,580
    Wizardry said:
    but in the end i am happy with my purchase and feel the game has some value.
    Anyone else absolutely amazed at seeing this statement in one of Wizardry's posts about a game which doesn't involve Final Fantasy?

Color me impressed and any game which pull this off must have some redeeming qualities. 

Not even any complaints about bad PVP design or ganking.

Weird.

;)
    ConstantineMerusblueturtle13kitaradPhry

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 2,692
    Kyleran said:
    Wizardry said:
    Anyone else absolutely amazed at seeing this statement in one of Wizardry's posts about a game which doesn't involve Final Fantasy?

Color me impressed and any game which pull this off must have some redeeming qualities. 

Weird.

;)
    I rechecked his username 17 times whilst reading his post.
    Kyleranblueturtle13kitaradPhry
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    • Song of the Week: Blackfield by Blackfield from Blackfield (2005)
    • Currently Playing: Devil May Cry 1
    • Favorite Drink: Bruichladdich Black Art 5th 1992
    • Gaming Timeline: Arcade, Commodore 64, Amiga 500, SEGA, IBM, PS, PC, PS2, More PCs, PS3, Giant PC, PS4, No More PCs, PS4 Pro.
    Kyleran said:
    Wizardry said:

Weird.

;)
    I know, right, kept scrolling back up to double check myself.

Where is the real Wiz and who is this imposter?

ConstantineMerusPhry

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 2,692
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Wizardry said:

Weird.

;)
    I know, right, kept scrolling back up to double check myself.

Where is the real Wiz and who is this imposter?

I believe we have just witnessed the arrival of the first Horseman of the Apocalypse.
    blueturtle13KyleranPhry
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    • Song of the Week: Blackfield by Blackfield from Blackfield (2005)
    • Currently Playing: Devil May Cry 1
    • Favorite Drink: Bruichladdich Black Art 5th 1992
    • Gaming Timeline: Arcade, Commodore 64, Amiga 500, SEGA, IBM, PS, PC, PS2, More PCs, PS3, Giant PC, PS4, No More PCs, PS4 Pro.
  • HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    I like it ..... a lot.

Haven't been gaming much over the last few years due to business & work.  Thought I'd poke my head in here one evening out of the blue and came across a write up on "Atlas".  Interesting write up ..... I checked into other forums around the interwebs and had a flash back.  Tons of posts that could, word for word, be in the Darkfall forums at release many years ago.  Postponed release dates, really shoddy performance on release, not good enough for "Early Access/Alpha/Beta", rubber banding everywhere, broken "features", hackers and exploits, political server drama, chinese zergs, naked fighting, over powered MOBS, under powered weapons, too much of a grind, dev video not reflective of game play .... etc, etc.

Needless to say, Darkfall was some of the funnest solo PvP I have ever played.  I know ..... I'm a glutton for punishment.  Started Atlas on PVE server to get the mechanics down pat and will soon move on to a PVP server where life will be tough.  They have added some mechanics that make solo a viable option (Lawless areas where you can build anywhere without a land claim and taxes from a land owner if you build on their land ... with permission of course).  PVE is tough, PVP will be brutal tough.  Can't wait .... 

Make no mistake, Atlas is a "Work in Progress."  I really do like what I'm seeing thus far and looking forward to the future of the game.  

edited January 23
    Kyleran said:
    Wizardry said:

Weird.

;)
    I am playing on a private server "Middle Earth 50x" like many others,imo the official servers are not well setup.

Would i still play it if no private servers hmm idk,i was going to run my own server otherwise but i feel there are some real hardcore areas in the game that almost everyone avoids.The pvp has nearly vanished because the Asians seem to have perhaps left after proving they could take over as i waltzed right into their huge fleet of ships and seemed nobody was around or all sleeping.

I did btw get killed for no reason ,i guess some people just don't like anyone near their territory.Knowing what i know about the game now i could avoid that stuff rather easily,the lions ,snakes,crocodiles and wolves and Gorgons and Fire Elementals are 100x more dangerous than the players.

FUNNY stuff?A giant dinosaur like bird swooped in and picked me up into the air lol.A very smart and tricky person can go far in this game,i am still learning every single day.
    Kyleran

Wizardry said:
    Kyleran said:
    Wizardry said:

Weird.

;)
    I am playing on a private server "Middle Earth 50x" like many others,imo the official servers are not well setup.

Would i still play it if no private servers hmm idk,i was going to run my own server otherwise but i feel there are some real hardcore areas in the game that almost everyone avoids.The pvp has nearly vanished because the Asians seem to have perhaps left after proving they could take over as i waltzed right into their huge fleet of ships and seemed nobody was around or all sleeping.

I did btw get killed for no reason ,i guess some people just don't like anyone near their territory.Knowing what i know about the game now i could avoid that stuff rather easily,the lions ,snakes,crocodiles and wolves and Gorgons and Fire Elementals are 100x more dangerous than the players.

FUNNY stuff?A giant dinosaur like bird swooped in and picked me up into the air lol.A very smart and tricky person can go far in this game,i am still learning every single day.
    It's great you found a game you enjoy Wiz, I know finding such can be few and far between as it's a challenge I face,  at least when it comes to finding a new MMO to play.

• kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 5,276
    I too am glad for @Wizardry for finding something even remotely palatable considering his considerable difficulty in finding anything even passingly entertaining as FFXI.