Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA Rumored to Have Closed Vancouver Studio's Open World Star Wars Game - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageEA Rumored to Have Closed Vancouver Studio Open World Star Wars Game - MMORPG.com News

Three sources have reached out to Kotaku and are reporting that development on an open world Star Wars game has stopped. The unnamed game was announced at the same time as the now-cancelled Star Wars game at Visceral Studios. EA Vancouver was working on the game and had been since October 2017. After Visceral's Star Wars game was cancelled, it was thought that its assets transferred to Vancouver, though it is unclear if the two projects were merged.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    One has to wonder if we'll EVER get a great modern era Star Wars game? :<
    Octagon7711Sabrac[Deleted User]ValentinaValdheiminfomatzKooturceh430Gobstopper3Dboris20and 4 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• SupaMutantSupaMutant Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Good!
    Pher0ciousMr.Gutsy
    5|_|©|< /\/\¥ |)!©|< /\/\!|<3|3
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320

That being said it appears that companies are taking less chances with game that may or may not make it.  The last few offerings from EA have not exactly been barn burners

No, but they've been bridge burners.
    Tuor7AeanderSabracbartoni33mrputts[Deleted User]BeezerbeezephemeracrawfordinfomatzjgDuffayand 7 others.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    They are pivoting to give us what we want. In place of the 2 cancelled games we will have 2 new ones:

Star Wars Battle Arena
    Star Wars Immortal (mobile because we have phones)
    SBFord[Deleted User]pappacubeValentinaephemeracrawfordlaseritCazrielseshsesValdheimScotand 4 others.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Tuor7Tuor7 Member RarePosts: 982
    Personally, I'm done with Star Wars as a franchise. The last few mainline movies have... not been to my taste. I see no reason to believe that anything they make in the future will be any better (though Rogue One was pretty good). At this point, I think it's pretty futile to expect anything good to come along.
    [Deleted User]craftseekerKooturgastovski1NorseGodGobstopper3DTyranusPrimeAlomarchrisnyc48
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Tuor7 said:
    Personally, I'm done with Star Wars as a franchise. The last few mainline movies have... not been to my taste. I see no reason to believe that anything they make in the future will be any better (though Rogue One was pretty good). At this point, I think it's pretty futile to expect anything good to come along.
    I watched the movies for 1) Carrie Fisher; and 2) a couple hours' diversion. I don't geek out on the universe and they served their purposes. Nothing will ever be as good as the original trilogy so the rest are just John Williams music videos with great performances from Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill. Now that they're done, meh...I'm probably out too. :D
    [Deleted User]Scotty787ScotKooturMrMelGibsonchrisnyc48planaria

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423
    edited January 2019
    SBFord said:
    Probably not from EA. They got exclusive SW rights and so far all we've seen are two very disappointing Battle Front games and now two canceled projects. I've said it before and I'll say it again, EA bit off more than they could chew when they took on the exclusive SW license.

My hope is this will make Disney rethink that strategy and kick EA to the curb so some other studios can get a crack at the IP.

Disney really needs to light a fire under EA's butt or pull the plug on them. Because at this point all Disney appears to be content with is making royalties off the license fees instead of getting their product to the market. EA is simply not able get the Star Wars IP to market. And at this point all they are really doing is keeping another developer from getting their hands on the IP.
    Post edited by Bakgrind on
    [Deleted User]LeiHngWei
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    There was a rumor last year that Disney was putting out feelers to other publishers and had an out clause with EA.  Maybe that is what is happening?

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2018/02/rumour-ea-may-lose-star-wars-video-game-license/
    SBFord[Deleted User]Sabrac[Deleted User]laseritCazrielPottedPlant22infomatzMrMelGibsongastovski1and 3 others.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Another possibility: 

If the game wasn't going to launch until mid-2021 - so about 2.5 years after it was announced - that might - MIGHT - only give the game about 18 months to recoup its costs and go on to make a profit; even less if it took longer.

Might because its possible that EA and Disney may not reach a deal on renewing the IP which - as it stands - runs until c. end 2023.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    SBFord said:
    Probably not from EA. They got exclusive SW rights and so far all we've seen are two very disappointing Battle Front games and now two canceled projects. I've said it before and I'll say it again, EA bit off more than they could chew when they took on the exclusive SW license.

My hope is this will make Disney rethink that strategy and kick EA to the curb so some other studios can get a crack at the IP.
    Disney can make SW games if they want. The SW deal with EA isn't 100% exclusive.
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Lots of "sources" reaching out to Kotaku lately with "inside information". Every bit of it seems perfectly suited to get people riled up.

But I'm not suspicious.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited January 2019

DMKano said:

EA probably paid EEDAR to run it through its playtests and it scored so low that the most logical decision financially was to cut the losses and move on.

The game must have really sucked.

Why is nobody considering the possibility that it was just a bad project that had no future?

Because they aren't industry bandwagoneers who try to identify with people they have little in common with. Because EA has a track history of bad decisions. Because sucky games come out all the time.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    They will be moving the franchise to mobile...
    ephemeracrawfordTacticalZombeh
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Probably waiting until phone processors can handle it.
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

They will be moving the franchise to mobile...

Sad if true but there has yet to be any mobile game that I really want to play. Mobile is fine if you have no other choice but for me it is the LAST choice I would make.
    bartoni33Darkpigeon

Let's party like it is 1863!

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Star Wars is dead for me after Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Fk Rian Johnson.
    AeanderSlapshot1188KooturMrMelGibsongastovski1ConstantineMerusAlomar

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited January 2019
    Star Wars has lost any sense of gravity and life it had as Disney has turned Star Wars into a really bad parody of Spaceballs. 
    craftseeker
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    EA has closed more games than most companies ever created.
    craftseeker
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • SabracSabrac Member UncommonPosts: 138
    There was a rumor last year that Disney was putting out feelers to other publishers and had an out clause with EA.  Maybe that is what is happening?

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2018/02/rumour-ea-may-lose-star-wars-video-game-license/
    Interesting. I wonder who would they pick?, Ubisoft?, Sony?, Microsoft?, Square Enix?, CDPR? (one can dream :)).

But please...

MrMelGibsonDarkpigeon
  • ArgostArgost Member UncommonPosts: 30
    This discussion will likely give me nightmares of Disney outright buying Daybreak Games to create a successor to Star Wars Galaxies, but also resulting in Firiona Vie becoming a Disney Princess...
    craftseekerrkipTacticalZombeh
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    dang this is terrible news.....this was game was going to be something totally new.

First it takes 100 players in a star destroyer, flying over a planet. then the players start jumping out to diferent locations....then the map shrinks.......then..... well.....
    [Deleted User]Kyleran[Deleted User]ScotinfomatzMrMelGibsonPalebanechrisnyc48TacticalZombeh
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

SBFord said:

One has to wonder if we'll EVER get a great modern era Star Wars game? :<</div>

One has to wonder if we'll EVER get a great modern era Star Wars movie?
    mmolouNorseGodDrunkWolf
  • seshsesseshses Member UncommonPosts: 67

SBFord said:

One has to wonder if we'll EVER get a great modern era Star Wars game? :<</div>

One has to wonder if we'll EVER get a great modern era Star Wars movie?

My say is that there so much story we can still write for Star wars common just some of the novels they are great for the most part maybe EA are not the right peoples for it .
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    Wonder if Disney is pulling their IPs in-house.  I know many entertainment corps are starting to do that now.
  • parpinparpin Member UncommonPosts: 220
    somebody needs to rescue star wars ip from f..ing EA, we will never get a decent star wars game as long as EA is in charge, EA is one of the greediest and evil company, they treat star wars ip like trash, look what happened to battle front 2, look at swtor. only 2 major star wars games and both have low quality, and now cancellation for what ever reason, i hate EA.
    DarkpigeonPalebane