Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Big Day Arrives! The Blue Mage Now Available in Final Fantasy XIV - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe Big Day Arrives! The Blue Mage Now Available in Final Fantasy XIV - MMORPG.com

The Final Fantasy XIV community has been pining for the Blue Mage for a long while and today's a big day with the job now available. Those with a level 50 Disciple of War or Magic class / job and who have completed The Ultimate Weapon main scenario are eligible to get started.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    "Those with a level 50 Disciple of War or Magic class / job and who have completed The Ultimate Weapon main scenario are eligible to get started."

rofl.....FFXIV, always putting some kind of prerequisite on fun.
    Kajidourdenanemo
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

Viper482 said:

"Those with a level 50 Disciple of War or Magic class / job and who have completed The Ultimate Weapon main scenario are eligible to get started."

It's also not usable in most content.
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851

Viper482 said:

It's because the storyline wouldn't fit otherwise, this MMO is heavy heavy into the lore and storyline.
    ScottJeslisKajidourdenAalamr
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • AlmostLancelotAlmostLancelot Member UncommonPosts: 135
    edited January 2019
    Viper482 said:

The requirements are from very old content that almost any player who has more than a month or two into the game will have completed. 

They can barely even be called a requirement tbh, as the chance of the average player not meeting these requirements is slim to none.

Viper482 said:

The requirements are from very old content that almost any player who has more than a month or two into the game will have completed. 

They can barely even be called a requirement tbh, as the chance of the average player not meeting these requirements is slim to none.

His point is a new player would be gated. Which I'd admit would suck if I was looking forward to playing the blue mage as my only entry to play the game.
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • AlmostLancelotAlmostLancelot Member UncommonPosts: 135
    edited January 2019
    exile01 said:
    [mod edit]
    Spoken like someone who has clearly never played the game.

Walking simulator?

I guess mounts (both ground and flying), plus fast travel are irrelevant? You only walk until you get a mount, which occurs early into the game and is the same for pretty much every modern themepark mmorpg that exists.

Combat has great animations and effects, it's actually really good. What you dislike is the speed of it because of the long GCD, but that is mitigated by numerous jobs as they level and become much more fluid. Lookup the Byakko encounter and try to tell me that looks like "trash tier".

The story is amazing, which you would know if you had played to any significant degree. It's a war story about a conflict between nations, with twists and turns everywhere. The writing may be sub-par at times, but I personally think localization has an effect on that more than anything. XIV is widely regarded as having one of the best stories of any Final Fantasy game in the series.

Your characterization of the game is simply inaccurate and is intentionally misleading.
    Post edited by Vaross on
    Rnjypsy
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    I will be the greatest con man in Eorzea!

• joeri123joeri123 Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Yes the game is very harsh on new players. The first month of playing will be painfully slow. Everything is unlocked through quests and the story is not that interesting untill later into ARR and expacs. If you can stick through, a great game awaits.
    [Deleted User]
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    From what guild members say a full bluemage party can do a dungeon. They got tanl skills and heals skills.

For example:

No.30: Mighty Guard

Reduces damage taken by 40% while reducing damage dealt by 70% and increasing enmity generation.

Effect ends upon reuse.

• Panserbjorne39Panserbjorne39 Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Now you can be bored to tears in a blue costume. Yay?
    [Deleted User]

Dragnelus said:

I will be the greatest con man in Eorzea!

Haha, maybe it's just me but I liked the whole snake-oil salesman story they went with.
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Dragnelus said:

From what guild members say a full bluemage party can do a dungeon. They got tanl skills and heals skills.

For example:

No.30: Mighty Guard

Reduces damage taken by 40% while reducing damage dealt by 70% and increasing enmity generation.

Effect ends upon reuse.

40% damage reduction for a cloth class isn't that good when compared to an actual tank. If anything BLU can be used for farming ARR achievements by abusing doom.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Took me 12 hours to get to 50. My chocobo capped at 20 with all the extra xp it got. And you can do undersized blue mage parties to get the dungeon skills easily. Later on when it dies down you might need some guildies to help out with that though.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.