Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What I Want from ESO’s Next Chapter

Comments

• Prime_DirectivePrime_Directive Member RarePosts: 1,574
    edited January 12
    I own the collectors edition of ESO

ESO Lacks and what I think needs to change :

Consistence in combat operation.
    -fix skill clipping
    -fix skill animation length to be normailzed for all classes

Game World
    -its such a linear world that people go straight 90% of the time
    -no deviation from the linear straight path zone to zone
    - almost ever zone is created as an entry point bottom or top left or right and the exit is bottom top left or right // its boring as fuck.

Characters and animation
    -im playing Ryl online all over with the hip twisters and how the sword swings, it is exacly like Ryl Online
    - Character models are dated and boring.
    - animations are probably some of the worst in the industry. Lineage 2 has more animation in the breast of its Dark Elf females then an entire ESO character.
    -horse animation ...LOL

Game Content
    -there is none. It is the same vertical climb as every other mmo before it with no deviation from that path way
    - the quest and stories have been played to death in many games squared.
    - Crafting ? Did it before in about 10 other games
    -leveling , exactly the same as every mmo preceding 
    -monsters ? the same
    -Instancing, its boring

again, BDO has done a fresh take on every single point I've listed and round down the eras that most games want to verticalize like grinding. BDO allows people to grind effortlessly killing mass amounts at one time. In ESO if you go kill 50 things it takers hours, in BDO it would take 2 minutes.

Having this troll episode that denies BDO MMORPGGOTY Might be fun for this website, but it missed a great opportunity to reward a company who is actually worth rewarding. MMORPG.COM, the real trolls of the industry. BAN yourselves. Every year your get it wrong, is another year of the same rehashed shit from redundant publishers listening to your words. As a warning : I'm not in a good mood. reply at your own risk.
    Post edited by Prime_Directive on
    YashaX
    There is a multiverse inside our minds which millions live.
    edited January 12
    Let me ask this one question : Did ESO have boating ?
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,397
    edited January 12

gervaise1 said:

same gameplay, same skills, same mechanics, same systems but just more quests. that's eso since launch, for 4-5 years.

Couldn't agree more!

I could point out that as well as content they have added:
    - a new region post-launch with group orientated quests (subsequently reworked);
    - small scale PvP with Imperial City;
    - a new skill sets and a different type of mission with The Thieves Guild;
    - another new skill set and another new type of mission with The Dark Brotherhood;
    - a total revamp of skills and gear with One Tamriel;
    - housing and items to craft for them; 
    - a new type of PvP and new class with Morrowind 
    - a new skill set and a new crafting profession with Summerset

But what's the point?

You come across as someone who made their mind up long ago that they didn't like the game - which is fine btw - but haven't kept up with the steady drumbeat of things that have been added and are now just posting rubbish.

But what if the game was the same? Are you suggesting that they should have mixed things up every year with radical upheavals? Heard what the next big thing in WoW is by the way? Goes by the name of vanilla.

So far ZoS have done a reasonable job of maintaining the core of what ESO has always been whilst adding stuff that fits. Almost as a given this means that people will at some point get bored but why should they try to re-invent the game every year? If you go to Disney World say you expect .... Disney World with updated / new rides here and there; you don't expect SeaWorld!

Zen can put new stuff in a new ESO game!

Yeah , you are right on some points and probably "5years of the same" is a bit over exaggerated, but last 2 years gameplay and all new stuff they add is really the same over and over again with minuscule improvements here and there to make long time players exciting and keep me playing. I got bored and left game for good. And still have no urge to return.
    The new announcement again sounds of ""the same"" - new unbalanced class, like Warden we had before, new bosses disguised as dragons and new zone with bunch of ESO style quests - sorry , been there, saw it and done it many times before. Lately all the good stuff is only in crown store - it's the main focus of the game for some time now.
    Don't disagree. I would expect the majority of players to get bored and leave. I am totally on the same page as you. And the new expansion - as you say - looks like "more of the same" plus some extras. And the cash shop - yeah.

The fundamental question though: is what they are doing a bad thing?

Unlike WoW ESO doesn't "blow everything up". Stuff has been added as long as it fits - so there is "more" to do - but the core remains the same. More akin to EQ1's approach say.

Which means people who like it as it is don't get upset. People who haven't tried it get to experience it - pretty much - as it always has been. But people like you - and me! - and bored others have to keep asking the question: have they added enough "stuff" since I last played to bring me back?

On balance I am fine with their approach. They can focus their creative new stuff energies on the mysterious, will it ever launch, ES6.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,530
    One of the big beefs I have with this game is the inordinate amount of dungeons.  You can spend hours in the cue waiting for a specific dungeon.  I just stopped doing them.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 2,865

Iselin said:

gervaise1 said:

same gameplay, same skills, same mechanics, same systems but just more quests. that's eso since launch, for 4-5 years. i ran all the zones and quests on one character and put down the game before morrowind, still no reason for me to come back. they don't even add dungeons or mounts with expansions but sell them seperately lol(while charging fullxpack price). terrible game model, terrible business model. they don't even bundle past year releases akin to gold edition of first year, like the daedric war arc etc. terrible downloader and patcher too. somehow all they get is praise and excitement.

?

Business Model:

The current collection is ESO: The Collection. Base game, Gold Edition, Morrowind and Summerset. No sub required. Not sure about your dungeon comment - maybe you are talking about the few dungeon only DLCs - if so its a bit odd yeah but "the expansions" do have "dungeons".

Now I can understand you saying you have no desire to come back. I have said many times that you will get bored before you run out of content. Leave, take a break, maybe return etc. But to do what you say you must have spent hundreds and hundreds of hours in ...... a terrible game? (I don't last an hour in games I don't like.)

They have been giving some mounts away as well but I don't keep track of those.

Except it not a PC game, they should not market for the PC players; the damn restriction on controls because of Xbox and PS4 controller cant handle too many assigned keys.

If there are control restrictions then blame ZoS for the limited implementation.

FFXIV lets you map 80+ buttons on a controller. 80+!!!! thanks to the use of modifiers. And the transition between controller UI and mouse/kb UI is impeccable.

Seriously, this was an issue 20 years ago, not today.

The argument about limited abilities being a sign of design for consoles is as old as the hills and also full of it considering how many PC-only RPGs and MMOs have opted for the same exact type of system as ESO.

It's fair enough to prefer the old fashioned multiple hotbar system over what ESO, GW2 and others chose to do, but it doesn't have a thing to do with consoles.

Regardless the point remains its still a bad design, espeically for a PC based MMO where we have more keys to leverage. GW2 sucks for the same reason. I personally attribute it to the action combat they try to bring It just doesnt work for an RPG. It works for a FPS that wants to have RPG lite mechanics. But if you want diversity in gameplay you definitely need to increase the options the number of skills I am able to use. Otherwise it will all get stale after awhile.

There are literally over a hundred different skills to choose from. You can't have access to them all at the same time is all.

For me I don't think I'll ever be going back to ESO due to the extreme unbalance, animation canceling being a pre-req for raiding, and the very underwhelming combat animations (which, because of animation canceling you look like you are having a seizure anyway)
    edited January 12

-fix skill clipping

Game World
    - almost ever zone is created as an entry point bottom or top left or right and the exit is bottom top left or right // its boring as fuck.

Characters and animation
    -im playing Ryl online all over with the hip twisters and how the sword swings, it is exacly like Ryl Online
    - animations are probably some of the worst in the industry. Lineage 2 has more animation in the breast of its Dark Elf females then an entire ESO character.
    -horse animation ...LOL

Game Content
    -there is none. It is the same vertical climb as every other mmo before it with no deviation from that path way
    -monsters ? the same
    -Instancing, its boring

again, BDO has done a fresh take on every single point I've listed and round down the eras that most games want to verticalize like grinding. BDO allows people to grind effortlessly killing mass amounts at one time. In ESO if you go kill 50 things it takers hours, in BDO it would take 2 minutes.

Having this troll episode that denies BDO MMORPGGOTY Might be fun for this website, but it missed a great opportunity to reward a company who is actually worth rewarding. MMORPG.COM, the real trolls of the industry. BAN yourselves. Every year your get it wrong, is another year of the same rehashed shit from redundant publishers listening to your words. As a warning : I'm not in a good mood. reply at your own risk.
    Ah yes, BDO.  Or in other words: "Kiting mindless AI while spamming AoE: The Game", such incredible content!  Oh wait, there isn't any.

Edit: Also I think it's cute that you think anyone cares what mood you're in today.  You don't scare anyone.
    Tiller
    edited January 13

-fix skill clipping

Game World

Characters and animation
    -horse animation ...LOL

Game Content
    -monsters ? the same
    -Instancing, its boring

Ah yes, BDO.  Or in other words: "Kiting mindless AI while spamming AoE: The Game", such incredible content!  Oh wait, there isn't any.

Edit: Also I think it's cute that you think anyone cares what mood you're in today.  You don't scare anyone.
    I remember when this website had really amazing and top noitch trolling, what ever happen to that ... #yawn Keep on keeping on, I'm feeling a lot better  now :) . Have fun in elderly old ideas online :)

• MasoodVoonMasoodVoon Member UncommonPosts: 50
    I come back for the immersion-stories. I could care less for some overhyped new systems. The thing I don't enjoy about the game is how certain class combos have dominated in PVP forever and that AoE damage is king in PVP.
  • KaliGoldKaliGold Member UncommonPosts: 36
    I have to give Zenimax credit, they know how to hype an expansion, in addition to providing loot drops for watching streamers on Twitch. The marketing is really good with this game.

The game itself is very deep in the lore/quest/role play with most of the min/maxing relegated to allocation of champion points. The crafting seems extensive at first blush, but is very limited.

Dungeons are great, but with only four members to the party, they seem more a chore than fun.

Most of the world is surrounded by water, but you cant do anything with it. Walk out a few feet and you die.

Mounts look different but all only have the same 3 basic stats.

I spent 1000 hours with the game early in 2018 and basically got bored because there was nothing worth working on to make my character better outside of champion points.
    gervaise1
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,397
    edited January 14
    KaliGold said:
    <snip> 

Dungeons are great, but with only four members to the party, they seem more a chore than fun.

<snip>.
    Do you know the game has trials? 

(As I said above I absolutely understand people getting bored. Especially after spending hundreds - or over 1000 hours in the game. Which can be had for the cost of the latest collection, no sub required.)
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
  • SelzyrSelzyr Member UncommonPosts: 60
    this comment section is....amusing.

ESO is cool, just wanted them to implement cloaks and make so the PC and NPC didn't look...derpy...and those animations are meh....

Other then that, 11/10 better then WoW atm.
    YashaX
    Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. And the more you know Insanity, is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. But I can tell you that only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,978
    Can someone explain the whole animation cancelling thing? I don't get it?
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 6,884
    BadSpock said:

BadSpockrojoArcueid
  • Dick1232Dick1232 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    An AH.
    gervaise1
    Scorchien said:
    BadSpock said:

Thanks, that's informative. I don't get how that "ruins" PvP for people though? 

If anything it just speeds things up and allows for a higher player skill cap, which is generally good for PvP?

If they forced animations to play out (slow things down) it would probably be even less popular as the combat would slow down considerably.
    Octagon7711
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 13,082
    BadSpock said:
    The simplest explanation is that ESO has active blocking and the game is designed around the tank not aggroing everything so everyone has to occasionally block/bash and that is a priority action that cancels whatever other action you were doing.

But in ESO the action that gets cancelled by the block (and a few other things but that gets more advanced) still damages or heals or whatever it does at full effect. The only exception about the full effect part are channeled abilities and there are only a handful of those.

So players "abuse" the defensive interrupt mechanics to cancel the animations of abilities with fake blocks or weapon swaps, and cancel the full animation of light attacks with abilities, etc., and squeeze a lot of extra DPS out of that if they are good at it.

This creates an animation canceling "elite" that matters in end game hard mode trials and can make a difference in 1v1 or small group PvP... klutzes need not apply :)

For anything else in the game it's no big deal at all whether you're good at it or not since the difficulty of content is not designed around cancelling. Neither are hard mode trials when it comes down to it but it's the difference between really fast trial runs (there are leader boards for that) and a normal speed one.
    BadSpockMasoodVoonYashaXgervaise1
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
    edited January 14
    BadSpock said:
    Scorchien said:
    BadSpock said:

If anything it just speeds things up and allows for a higher player skill cap, which is generally good for PvP?

If they forced animations to play out (slow things down) it would probably be even less popular as the combat would slow down considerably.
    Because it looks fucking retarded.  Completely destroys the whole point of even having animations, might as well just have damage applied based on how quickly you can spam buttons at that point.
    OzmodanMasoodVoonSovrathMendel
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 2,415
    BadSpock said:

Feels like the game could use some more open-world events like the Anchors. I've been a big fan of public quests / open world events since WAR, and whatever implementation - like events in Destiny or event chains in GW2 or whatever FFXIV calls them...

Such an MMO-specific feature, bring players together randomly in the open world to work together to accomplish a goal - all MMO games need more of this, IMO.
    I would love to see ESO implement something like the invasions in Rift; it would be particularly cool in Cyrodiil!!
    BadSpock
    BadSpock said:
    Scorchien said:
    BadSpock said:

Because it looks fucking retarded.  Completely destroys the whole point of even having animations, might as well just have damage applied based on how quickly you can spam buttons at that point.
    Eh. In my experience, it hasn't affected me one bit in normal solo gameplay, casual PvP, or casual PvE... but fully admit I haven't done any high-level battlegrounds or raids etc.

I can imagine it being a problem in 1vs1 and with bleeding-edge raid content trying to maximize DPS.

At this point though, it seems it has been in the game so long if they changed it there would be an uproar.

Still, seems like a silly "hill to die on", IMO. If that's the only thing keeping you from playing ESO?

It's a perfect casual MMO for me ATM. It's on console, loads and loads of content that can be done solo or with group finder, has a fairly rich "grind" for gear/post-level cap advancement (CP), looks great in HDR/4k, great music/VO & atmosphere, and the combat/builds are interesting enough to be finally "clicking" with me where it's fun to experiment and try new combinations of skills and gear and CP.

I hope new expac revealed today offers more of the same and then some for a decent price. I haven't bought Summerset yet, but if they offer a decent package deal for new one + Summerset I'll probably pick it up.

Paying for sub currently, which has def improved my enjoyment being able to do the new content/zones, play with the Outfit system in earnest, and of course crafting bag!
    YashaX
    BadSpock said:
    BadSpock said:
    Scorchien said:
    BadSpock said:

Eh. In my experience, it hasn't affected me one bit in normal solo gameplay, casual PvP, or casual PvE... but fully admit I haven't done any high-level battlegrounds or raids etc.

I can imagine it being a problem in 1vs1 and with bleeding-edge raid content trying to maximize DPS.

At this point though, it seems it has been in the game so long if they changed it there would be an uproar.

Still, seems like a silly "hill to die on", IMO. If that's the only thing keeping you from playing ESO?

It's a perfect casual MMO for me ATM. It's on console, loads and loads of content that can be done solo or with group finder, has a fairly rich "grind" for gear/post-level cap advancement (CP), looks great in HDR/4k, great music/VO & atmosphere, and the combat/builds are interesting enough to be finally "clicking" with me where it's fun to experiment and try new combinations of skills and gear and CP.

I hope new expac revealed today offers more of the same and then some for a decent price. I haven't bought Summerset yet, but if they offer a decent package deal for new one + Summerset I'll probably pick it up.

Paying for sub currently, which has def improved my enjoyment being able to do the new content/zones, play with the Outfit system in earnest, and of course crafting bag!
    The problem is not that animation canceling exists, it's that the devs design content around it which makes it mandatory unless you just want to be dead weight.
    Octagon7711
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,062
    edited January 15
    Scorchien said:
    BadSpock said:

Interesting. I haven't played ESO in a while but I always thought animation cancelling was more like For Honor where you cancel an attack to do something else, but here in ESO you actually do damage with the cancelled attack. Really weird.

This is a double edge sword. On the positive side it speeds everything up. On the negative side, i can see this discouraging slower players from doing PvP because they will always die.

This would not affect me personally since i don't do PvP, but I can see it being a problem in PvE if groups start demanding animation cancelling to maximize PvE damage. If that becomes a thing I would just not play the game or go full solo.

Scorchien said:
    BadSpock said:

Interesting. I haven't played ESO in a while but I always thought animation cancelling was more like For Honor where you cancel an attack to do something else, but here in ESO you actually do damage with the cancelled attack. Really weird.

This is a double edge sword. On the positive side it speeds everything up. On the negative side, i can see this discouraging slower players from doing PvP because they will always die.

This would not affect me personally since i don't do PvP, but I can see it being a problem in PvE if groups start demanding animation cancelling to maximize PvE damage. If that becomes a thing I would just not play the game or go full solo.
    Yup. Top tier raiding guilds do demand it and that is the problem IF, top tier raiding is your thing.

It's only a thing in PvP in 1v1 or possibly small group play (battlegrounds) but the core PvP in ESO is large scale in Cyrodiil and animation cancelling would be the least of your problems there - coordinated ultimate groups, AKA "bomb groups" rule the day in Cyrodiil.

It's not needed for any other content including vet dungeons (and really not needed for raiding either) unless you happen to get in a PUG with some 1337 burn out who wants to speed run it by DPSing bosses down before they can do their mechanics.

Any PvE fight in ESO that has a "DPS check" (and there are not many of those,) can easily be done without animation cancelling.

There is also of course macroing to your mouse or KB. It's against the TOS so technically a cheat, but some do it. I mean... anyone who has a programmable gaming mouse or KB knows how easy it is to not just program a button to be "1" but to be "1 (delay) RMB" or even chain a whole rotation to one button if you're so inclined.

I don't raid except once in a blue moon with one of my guilds and I've done just fine doing just the very basic animation cancelling (which a lot of players do without even knowing that's what they're doing) namely doing a light weapon attack (LMB) before using any ability.

As to the aesthetics of how it looks... lol. I couldn't give less of a shit about that.
    BadSpockYashaX
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
    The problem is not that animation canceling exists, it's that the devs design content around it which makes it mandatory unless you just want to be dead weight.
    I would highly, highly doubt that.
    IselinYashaXgervaise1Torval
    edited January 15
    BadSpock said:
    I would highly, highly doubt that.
    There is a crowd in ESO whose main goal running dungeons is to do them as fast as humanly possible as if they were an annoying chore they need to get over and done with. "Dead weight" is their code for those who aren't as burnt out on the game as they are :)
    YashaXBadSpockOctagon7711Torval
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
    That's all mature, modern MMOs.