Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Players' Choice Awards 2018 Winners - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe Players' Choice Awards 2018 Winners - MMORPG.com

You saw our picks for the best games of 2018 already, and this past week we turned the votes over to you. Roughly 3,000 of you voted, and the results are in today... here they are, your 2018 MMORPG.com Players' Choice Award Winners!

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Kassandra! I could not agree more. It has been the highlight of my year, among all games, and I have never played an AC game before. Bought one once, played 20 minutes and never started it up again. But Oddyssey... I am finished and still log in every day just to explore the world and have Kassandra curse at people. Malaka!
    SBFordOctagon7711laseritKlikaeTacticalZombehinfomatzYashaXWaanTheIdealist

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• itsoveritsover Member UncommonPosts: 353
    i love ESO music and game play, also look amazing
    Octagon7711KlikaeRain_DeathravenPalebaneScot

• 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    Anthem has way too many opportunities to become a disappointment of the year. The Division 2 is arguably the most anticipated game considering it'll be a guaranteed hit - unless the devs will pull The Division 1 again and release it with tons of bugs.

As for AC Odyssey - I'm happy it became my first AC game so I got extremely positive opinion about the series and Ubisoft as a developer + Kassandra deserves her own trilogy.
    SBFordOctagon7711laseritKlikaeinfomatz

Thank you for your time!

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited January 2019
    May as well discuss my votes here, which I held back in order to avoid any potential influencing:

Biggest disappointment - Lost Ark not releasing in 2018.
    I had low expectations of Fallout 76, and therefore couldn't be disappointed. I'm if anything baffled at them managing to surprise me with a game far worse than anything I expected.

Best Battle Royale - N/A

Best RPG - Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna The Golden Country (Write In)

Best Persistent Game - Warframe

Most improved MMO - Guild Wars 2

Most Anticipated Online Game - Anthem

Most Antipated MMO - Torchlight Frontiers

Best Overall MMO - Guild Wars 2
    Octagon7711KlikaeRain_DeathravenUnbinoithlwyn
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited January 2019
    AC Odyssey was a pleasant surprise and I love what they did with it.

Got into Warframe last year and loving it.

ESO has it's good and bad points but really excels in story telling and adventuring, imo.

Really loved The Division after they got the bugs worked out so really looking towards D2 as a furtherance of the theme.

Anthem is looking like a Warframe/Destiny2 clone at this point and would be happily surprised if Anthem has something more original in it then flying, they have been putting a lot into hyping it more then The Division 2 has, anticipation is probably high because it's so close to launch.

Still loved what has been done with GW2 and very surprised it didn't get at least an honorable mention.

SBFordlaseritinfomatz

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• parpinparpin Member UncommonPosts: 220
    i am proud of eso, winning people award in 2018, considering it was joke when it was lunched,also i am going to honor gw2, it is also a very good mmo in 2018 with quality content for free in 2018, so in mmorpg world the winners are eso and gw2 in 2018 in my opinion, and most disappointing mmo in 2018 is swtor for me, i hope 2019 is going to be better.
    Octagon7711SBFord
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited January 2019
    Awesome news, FO76 "won" in its nominated case.

Hey, you know what they say, bad press is preferable to no press. :D

Avowed Fallout series fanboy here and gives FO76 far more leeway than I ever would any other game.

Definitely set the bar low enough a win in the "most improved" category should be assured... well assuming they actually try to improve it.

;)
    Trolldefender99Scot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    Haven't tried Fallout, likely never will...but I can't understand how that, or any other game, is more disappointing than BFA. Also, Alexios all the way! I just can't imagine myself in a game as a girl.
    supx2
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I'm thinking I might have to try Warframe.
    TsiyaScot

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Lumiere123Lumiere123 Member UncommonPosts: 62
    I demand Path of Exile in this Awards. Where is Path of Exile?? It's a scam! Manipulation!

JK.. Grats to winners.

PoE <3
    Klikaesupx2Tsiya
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    What's LostArk? O.o

I've never heard of it before this.
    --------------------------------------------
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    I dont think Persistent means what you think it means
    ShaighKlikae[Deleted User]Agent_Josephjazz.beScot
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Let's not forget ...

Atlas, you're the worst pirate game I've ever heard of.

But you have heard of it!
    KyleranAlomarSamhaelKlikaeWellspring

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited January 2019

I know my vote didn't count because I refuse to give google information.

Black Desert is with out a doubt MMORPG GOTY. Elder Scrolls is a meme. Kind of like this website , a meme.

Says the a guy that had Maxine Waters as his avatar for non-4chan non-subreddit non-redhat non-alexjonesy reasons.
    KyleranSBFordTrolldefender99
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited January 2019
    I know my vote didn't count because I refuse to give google information.
    Black Desert is with out a doubt MMORPG GOTY. Elder Scrolls is a meme. Kind of like this website , a meme.
    Well, the spread was by 40 plus so clearly the vote suppression techniques were once again effective.

:D

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RegnorRegnor Member UncommonPosts: 112

laserit said:

Not only is the game deserving of this award, the dev team is one of the best in the industry. They keep surprising me, just like the Path of Exile devs did. Try it, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
    KyleranKlikaelaseritinfomatzOctagon7711Phoenix_Hawk

Men do not stop playing because they grow old. They grow old because they stop playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    edited January 2019
    "Assassi's Creed" Is that a new type of assassin? Also go Team Alexios! I'm glad ESO turned into a financial success with their cash shop, dlc, and chapter direction. I preferred the hardcore pvp driven Cyrodiil direction at launch, but it wasn't good enough and 99% of us pvpers left.
    Rnjypsy
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535
    edited January 2019
    Uh.

These are interesting choices. Also, whoever said BDO deserved GOTY - LOL.
    SamhaelKlikaeRnjypsyAgent_JosephTrolldefender99Octagon7711Scotithlwyn
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Regnor said:

laserit said:

Not only is the game deserving of this award, the dev team is one of the best in the industry. They keep surprising me, just like the Path of Exile devs did. Try it, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
    Did they shore up the new player experience?  That game's gotten super complex with all the frames and cards and weapons, it can be overwhelming to a returning player, much less a completely new one.  I played it a while a long time ago, and trying to get back into it this past year had me confused in orbit and constantly chasing down tricked out players whenever I tried a multiplayer mission.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Regnor said:

laserit said:

Did they shore up the new player experience?  That game's gotten super complex with all the frames and cards and weapons, it can be overwhelming to a returning player, much less a completely new one.  I played it a while a long time ago, and trying to get back into it this past year had me confused in orbit and constantly chasing down tricked out players whenever I tried a multiplayer mission.
    To be honest, unfortunately, no. They've added quests to help tutorialize things and improve the story, but it's still very much a wiki game. Join if you have a friend who is willing to show you the ropes.
    MadFrenchieKlikaehalfmysticKyleranlaseritinfomatz
  • halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535
    Aeander said:
    Regnor said:

laserit said:

To be honest, unfortunately, no. They've added quests to help tutorialize things and improve the story, but it's still very much a wiki game. Join if you have a friend who is willing to show you the ropes.
    Even though I enjoy Warframe, this is a huge problem. You HAVE to wiki a ton of things in order to even understand the systems you're playing with. 

I had no idea, for example, you need 1 mil credits in order to trade, with another player, a high level mod.
  • QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    edited January 2019
    And Congrats once again to ZOS for two more well-deserved awards These are arguably more meaningful than those awarded by a website. For one reason, you can't really claim every person who voted for the winners was "paid off" (not that people haven't claimed as much anyway, I'm sure).

I hope the MMORPG staff participated in the voting as well, individually.They play these games, too, after all.

Not going to repeat myself from the other award thread. Will just say that I think it's telling that the closest competitor to ESO for "Best Overall" was Black Desert - another MMO that favors the open-world, "play how you want" approach and seems to do it well. I've not played it much to have an informed opinion, but what I saw did seem pretty open.

It seems to be (and I hope it is) a sign that we're finally coming back to players preferring the freedom and agency rigid, linear themepark MMOs can't provide.

I haven't played Warframe a whole lot yet, but it's a hell of a lot of fun. So congrats to Digital Extremes for a great game, and for proving all those Publishers who said "it won't work" wrong in such grand fashion.

And of course, congrats to all the other winners as well.
    Post edited by QuarterStack on
    [Deleted User]SovrathMadFrenchie
  • perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
    I agree with ESO. Very surprised to Assassin's Creed. I might have to try this.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I stopped playing Warframe because the progression has this awful element to it...

You have to constantly rank up new weapons to progress. That isn't so bad, kind of cool really at first glance, but to keep progressing you can't ever use any of the weapons you've already ranked up. So, what's the point in ranking them up when the game has a never ending cycle that encourages you not to use fully ranked weapons?

Stupid.. so I quit playing.
    KyleranPhoenix_Hawk
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • WedlenWedlen Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Biggest disappointment? World of Warcraft. They have managed to kill the most popular game of all time. So many people have left the game now. All in 2018
    infomatzScot