Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taking a Look at Astellia with Its Dev Team - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageTaking a Look at Astellia with Its Dev Team - MMORPG.com

After over six years in development, Astellia is finally making its way westward and Barunson E&A is prepping for a summer 2019 release. We had the chance to chat with the team about Astellia to find out about its features and what sets it apart from the competition.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• parpinparpin Member UncommonPosts: 220
    another asian mmo, ill give it a try but so far no asian mmo is interesting for me, we will see how this one will turn out to be.
    SamhaelSadfistGobstopper3DBodeanGjarsku85
  • BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    "...we worked to reduce the Global Cooldowns, Limit Animation Locking, and added quick dodging mechanics to make the combat more engaging."

Boo! Hiss! Just kidding, we'll see, but I hate this trend.
    MendelWaan
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    It's amazing to me that these companies keep finding funding for making what is essentially the same exact game over and over. None of these eastern-made clones of western-style games are even remotely successful.
    SadfistSplooshii
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    "Astellia pays tribute to the classic MMORPGs that originally brought us into the industry. We are committed to bringing back that feeling, where games are played for fun, with skills gained from that time invested. We can’t wait to let you all play it later this year."

This is good to hear.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    I like that it's based on the classic MMO but am worried about the eastern MMO/tested in Korea deal. It's been fairly obvious over the last decade that MMOs developed for the eastern player typically have a much rockier time in their western launches.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    What are the astells? Are they basically Guild Wars 1 companions? The site listed three types of them, and the "servant" type looks like it could be a Guild Wars 1 companion, but the others are apparently much shorter lived.

Also, their site is rather broken. They apparently didn't test it with very many browser window sizes.
  • Jrich_cpJrich_cp Member UncommonPosts: 63
    all this sounds great on paper. Interested in more!
  • RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805
    Another asian MMO to add to the trash heap. Where is Revelation Online again? Blade and Soul? Oh right. Nobody plays those games anymore.
    SadfistSplooshii
    I like to complain about games.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

DMKano said:

Played it- to say that it was underwhelming would be a huge understatement.

The pets suck, they are a pain to manage

The dungeons are uninspiring.

The questing is hub based - lots of pointless running back and forth.

Its just not good.

All I needed to hear.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

Quizzical said:

What are the astells? Are they basically Guild Wars 1 companions? The site listed three types of them, and the "servant" type looks like it could be a Guild Wars 1 companion, but the others are apparently much shorter lived.

Also, their site is rather broken. They apparently didn't test it with very many browser window sizes.

This game is allot like a TCG, and a mmorpg put together. You go around and collect or obtain cards called Astell. You use the cards (Astell) in the mmorpg, to summon pets to be your aide.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I'll try it for the simple reason that they separated pve and PvP. I'll reward that by playing it.
    Nhisso13cheyaneKnyttaSpectremuseCazriel
  • Nhisso13Nhisso13 Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Wow. Havent been this intrigued by an MMO in a long time. Notice i didnt say excited. MMOs have been such a let down the last 10 years. I no longer get hyped. But this game is one ill be trying. The devs seem genuine and actually care it seems.
    If this game is what it seems, we could have a hit. IF!
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    SlyLoK said:
    I'll try it for the simple reason that they separated pve and PvP. I'll reward that by playing it.
    This is true while many games that are coming from Korea don't offer this choice this one does and should be rewarded.
    Spectremuse
    Chamber of Chains
  • BelkinXBelkinX Member UncommonPosts: 7

DMKano said:

Played it- to say that it was underwhelming would be a huge understatement.

The pets suck, they are a pain to manage

The dungeons are uninspiring.

The questing is hub based - lots of pointless running back and forth.

Its just not good.

How long did you play and what level did you get to? I've played through 95% of the content and have no problem controling the "pets". There is a bit of a learning curve for the controls though. Did you play any lf the lvl 50 or legendary dungeons? There's nothing ground breaking but they are engaging, at times difficult, and require teamwork and skill to clear with an "S" rank. Questing is indeed hub based and very bland. What are your thoughts on character development, and customization? Did you get a chance to collect a bunch of astells and work on your deck buffs? I've found that the customization depth is much better than most games.
  • CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419

Samhael said:

I like that it's based on the classic MMO but am worried about the eastern MMO/tested in Korea deal. It's been fairly obvious over the last decade that MMOs developed for the eastern player typically have a much rockier time in their western launches.

They have concerns also, which is apparent from other interviews they have given. They are cognizant of the difference between KR and Western audiences. Gender locking, for instance, is common in KR and this game has it, but not for the Western release. That right there is a huge step for any Asian MMO coming to the Western audience.

It sounds interesting and will be worth at least an initial look. Everyone looks for different things in games, but I like the "We're a Theme Park!" approach, the no-grief PvP, and the solo dungeons.
  • Dixi01Dixi01 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    "and added quick dodging mechanics to make the combat more engaging"
    I really hate that! I want to stand in place and cast spells/control pets, not mindlessly run around because some boss decided to cast another AoE every 15 seconds.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I do appreciate your insight @DMKano because as an Everquest veteran some of what you post resonates and I can see that I would have come to a similar conclusion had I deigned to play.

• LastlaughlolLastlaughlol Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Never believed in any of the hype behind Bless, Arch or any of that garbage, but this game actually sounds pretty decent.

It seems heavily inspired by GW1. Which was an amazing game. Will have to wait and see how it is, might actually give it a try.