Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anthem: Freeplay Expedition with World Events, Lore, & Bosses - MMORPG.com

Comments

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    movesets look really repetitive lets hope theres more variety built into the different javs
  • neonblastneonblast Member UncommonPosts: 16

Albatroes said:

I have my doubts but I'm still looking towards playing the demo.  That will tell a lot.  Nice of them to even have a demo and invite streamers to talk about the game in advance.  

We live in a world now that is 'nice' for devs/publishers to have demos...../smh

Its like saying we should be thankful that only some games sell purely cosmetic dlc or dont have loot boxes. Hell, some people might even think I'm an entitled prick for missing the days where you'd unlock those cosmetics and extra modes through just playing the game.

Lol,  I've always lived in such a world.  It's always been nice for me to try out a demo or free weekend or open beta to checkout a game before it launches.  

Demos, free weekends and open beta are very different things.

The Division demo was appealing yet the whole game was a bunch of mistakes. Free weekends are usually same thing as demo since you will be content/feature locked at some point, regardless if you play 24/7 for the whole weekend.

The point is that all the demos, free weekends or open betas ( although paid games don't usually have an open beta, and if they do you can access it only if you pre-order or else it will be still a demo ) will show you only the " good " stuff.
    The " bad stuff" starts only once you will reach the end game and you will discover the X character skills suck in pve or pvp, or you cant get the X weapon you like because you need to raid, or PVE content feels empty and repetitive, PVP is unbalanced. And so on.

If you want something, you'll get it, regardless the reviews, price tag or demo, free weekends.

[Deleted User]Gdemami
  • mavchomavcho Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Anthem Hunter World?
  • crankkedcrankked Member UncommonPosts: 284
    This game needs to be WAY more unforgiving and have better pacing and disruption.

The mobs are useless fodder. They should be able to significantly hurt you if you're not careful and also have defensive reactions to attacks (not necessarily more HP).

Just flying from point to point in a lush world is cute but again there needs to be disruption there. They've somehow figured out how to put an Open World on rails, in a sense, using lack of challenge. Players will just start fast forwarding to whatever "dungeon" or actual challenge the game has eventually.

Lastly if they're sticking with 4 javelin types, why not give them other roles outside of immediate combat? The quick stealthy one could have advanced scout abilities so players are not just being spoon fed every enemy and objectives position on the HUD. Make that apart of the game play.

The more I see, the more I yawn. I know I don't matter in the grand scheme but boy are these developers getting more run of the mill and corny with each year that passes. I thought the detail and ideas were supposed to get more detailed and layered as time went on. The regression is real (gameplay wise)
    Game companies have no reason to innovate or improve.  Why would they when gamers keep on smothering them with money for regurgitating the same old crap year in and year out?  

It's the same problem we have with early access games and movies.  Movies in particular.  There aren't too many movies out there that have at least some semblance of originality.  It's mostly the same tired crap over and over and over and over......and people still keep pouring their money at them.  Sad really.
    GdemamiConstantineMerus
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Bakgrind said:

It's looking good, not great but good.  There's still a lot they haven't really shown so it's hard to comment on anything other than the combat/gameplay which looks top notch.

The enemies seem a little too "bullet spongey" but that's the only real thing that bothered me.  

It's not just the bullet sponge aspect of it. The character healing or rejuvenation appears to be to over the top as well. As it didn't appear that the player even cared how much damage was being done to them So it lacks that certain degree of danger that makes a encounter tactical,skilled and satisfying that you made it through the fight. It looks like all they were doing was swooping in and spamming abilities with pew pew pew and explosions and flying off. The game does have great visuals I will give it that.
    Well, there's something nobody has really mentioned that I will now.  This is also "freeplay" or in other words random exploring of this environment.  The mobs here are not going to be Raid-difficulty, as this is where people of all levels will have access at any point in time to.  Much like the way Destiny has over world mobs and then the actual mission mobs.  For the most part these enemies are considered fodder, and since everyone will be interacting with them they are probably a fairly low-threat target.
    GdemamiConstantineMerus[Deleted User]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739
    Strange that a big studio like Bioware are not able to create something more "out of this world" for a Sci-fi game. It all look so familiar. How can so many art- and game designers at one place be so little creative?
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Everytime I watch that video I think of this...
    Related image
    FlyByKnight

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Related image
    Yep.  That's going to be a problem for them.  They don't seem to be doing enough to separate themselves from Destiny.  So far the only real difference is the flying aspect.  
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited January 2019
    Related image
    Yep.  That's going to be a problem for them.  They don't seem to be doing enough to separate themselves from Destiny.  So far the only real difference is the flying aspect.  
    The video seemed to include wayyyyy more aerial abilities and skills than Destiny has.  That's a good thing I guess, if that's your thing.

I'm personally more disappointed that the game isn't using more active abilities.  I saw what appeared to be two per player.  Destiny was disappointing in this way, too.  It's exacerbated by the fact that, for some reason, Bungie decided to largely leave the most interesting weapon work they did in the Halo series out of the Destiny franchise (sorry, but proc effects on weapons and armor isn't very interesting; just ask the WoW players reference Azerite Armor).

Adding more active skills would present a much deeper class system here.  I get the whole "action combat don't have too many active skills," but two really limits the tactical choices, specifically creating synergies between skills/rotations.  Not a lot of rotation experimenting with two skills.

• LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    This is just nothing more than a warframe ripoff with some destiny elements. Hope the combo is good but I have 0 faith in bioware anymore and ea is a huge letdown
    DigitalGuise
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846
    The video seemed to include wayyyyy more aerial abilities and skills than Destiny has.  That's a good thing I guess, if that's your thing.

I'm personally more disappointed that the game isn't using more active abilities.  I saw what appeared to be two per player.  Destiny was disappointing in this way, too.  It's exacerbated by the fact that, for some reason, Bungie decided to largely leave the most interesting weapon work they did in the Halo series out of the Destiny franchise (sorry, but proc effects on weapons and armor isn't very interesting; just ask the WoW players reference Azerite Armor).

Adding more active skills would present a much deeper class system here.  I get the whole "action combat don't have too many active skills," but two really limits the tactical choices, specifically creating synergies between skills/rotations.  Not a lot of rotation experimenting with two skills.
    The video is of low level characters. You unlock a third ability later. I cant say much more than that.

You have 3 total special abilities and can carry 2 guns.

Ability recharge times are varied, some are low like 7 seconds and have multiple charges or much longer like 20 seconds.

Javelins have a total of 12 abilities across 3 categories(5 for one, 5 for the second, 2 for the last).

• InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236
    Beyorn said:
    I know they will have a single player campaign but how does that work?  Will there be a hub and we will have our own zones or will it be like SWTOR where everyone is in the same zone doing the same things? 
    That's the big issue, a lot of people keep trying to compare this to an MMO. It's not an MMO, the max people in an instance you will ever see is 4.  And you meet them when exploring the open world, not when doing your story.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Xiaoki said:

The video is of low level characters. You unlock a third ability later. I cant say much more than that.

Ability recharge times are varied, some are low like 7 seconds and have multiple charges or much longer like 20 seconds.

Javelins have a total of 12 abilities across 3 categories(5 for one, 5 for the second, 2 for the last).

That was part of the extreme limitation in Destiny; you had sparse abilities and Bungie thought randomized stats on guns would make up the difference.  I don't think it does, because procs aren't very fun, and that's the most interesting part of the guns in Destiny.

Hopefully Ubi isn't trying to rely so heavily on gunplay to help keep the combat lively.  It's just inferior to actually having a full complement of active skills that can be synergized and combo'd.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846
    Xiaoki said:

That was part of the extreme limitation in Destiny; you had sparse abilities and Bungie thought randomized stats on guns would make up the difference.  I don't think it does, because procs aren't very fun, and that's the most interesting part of the guns in Destiny.

Hopefully Ubi isn't trying to rely so heavily on gunplay to help keep the combat lively.  It's just inferior to actually having a full complement of active skills that can be synergized and combo'd.
    Anthem has random bonuses on items called "Inscriptions".

Like you get an Epic item and it will always have 3 Inscriptions and they will be random. They could be Shotguns do more damage, Rifles have more ammo, more Hover time, more Ultimate generation, or Support abilities recharge faster.

This is from a Producer stream and they explain a lot about loot system, gearing and even theorycrafting. How all of it applies in actual gameplay is at 31:53

It should give you a better idea of what high level gameplay would be like. Or, watch videos like in the article for a better idea of what level 5 gameplay with white and green gear played by someone with an hour of time is like.
    Your choice.

MadFrenchie
    Xiaoki said:
    Xiaoki said:

Anthem has random bonuses on items called "Inscriptions".

Like you get an Epic item and it will always have 3 Inscriptions and they will be random. They could be Shotguns do more damage, Rifles have more ammo, more Hover time, more Ultimate generation, or Support abilities recharge faster.

This is from a Producer stream and they explain a lot about loot system, gearing and even theorycrafting. How all of it applies in actual gameplay is at 31:53

It should give you a better idea of what high level gameplay would be like. Or, watch videos like in the article for a better idea of what level 5 gameplay with white and green gear played by someone with an hour of time is like.
    Your choice.

Which is exactly the same as Destiny.  At least post-Forsaken.  Don't get me wrong I'm interested in this game but it's not doing much to convince me that I *need* it as opposed to just playing Destiny.
    MadFrenchie
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    They need to have inscriptions completely change weapons like borderlands. That is really the only game I've played with interesting and fun loot.

A shotgun that shoots rockets.. need I say more?
  • Syphin_BSyphin_B Member UncommonPosts: 340
    The same people comparing this are the same ones that compare COD to BF..

Ive been playing the alpha and let me tell you, it's not Destiny by no means.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

SlyLoK said:

They need to have inscriptions completely change weapons like borderlands. That is really the only game I've played with interesting and fun loot.

A shotgun that shoots rockets.. need I say more?

Inscription are just stats bonuses that comes in a set, stuff like +X to shield. What you are asking for is in the game, it's just the weapon ability(ies). Although I'm not sure about shotgun shooting rockets (Colossus has a mortar and the Ranger a missile battery though), but if they have the same variety of weapons as MEA did, shotgun shooting exploding pellets might be a thing.
  • SplitStream13SplitStream13 Member UncommonPosts: 250

This using a better/modified version of the Andromeda engine?

For a couple of years now EA is relying on DICE (the swedish engine company that they bought awhile ago) for the Frostbite engine. Meaning, all of EA and EA-subsidiaries are using the Frostbite engine. Which is one of the flaws with Andromeda. Because this engine is developed fully for Battlefield and Need for speed, yet when you slam a 3rd person character there and facial animations and the engine goes belly up with the fiasco that was ME: A at launch. Still a great game but they shouldn't have left the most inexperienced team do the animations on DICE's engine while they develop the politically correct flop that is ... Battlefield V
  • Dick1232Dick1232 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Anyone who thinks this is just another Destiny, you have no idea at all.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Dick1232 said:
    It does sound a lot better then ME:A 2.0 though....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

Dick1232 said:
    And you do?  Please, do tell.....I'll wait.
  • Dick1232Dick1232 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Dick1232 said:
    And you do?  Please, do tell.....I'll wait.
    As a matter of fact I do. Saying no more. Have a great day.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I see a lot of glitz, special effects and sparkle but...

[Deleted User][Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED