Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ATVI Facing a Potential Lawsuit While New CFO Dennis Durkin Rakes in $15M Worth of 'Awards' - MMOR

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageATVI Facing a Potential Lawsuit While New CFO Dennis Durkin Rakes in $15M Worth of 'Awards' - MMORPG.com News

Amidst troubling times at Activision-Blizzard, the company's new Chief Financial Officer Dennis Durkin has scored $15,000,000 in "awards" for taking on the position full time. Durkin took over the CFO job after Spencer Neumann was fired prior to taking the CFO position at Netflix.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

d_20

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Oy vey...honestly........February's investor call for Q4 2018 is gonna be wild.
    d_20MadFrenchieDhamon99gervaise1[Deleted User]SabracTacticalZombehAeanderinfomatz

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Activision is looking more and more like a deadbeat husband. I don't know the company structure of AVTI, but it's time to break up this unhealthy relationship.
    Ozmodan
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    What crap is this?
    Chamber of Chains
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    drama just dont stop :D
    [Deleted User]
  • timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    edited January 2019
    In before people thought 2018 would be the worst year for big gamepublishers and developers.. here comes 2019!
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited January 2019
    Glad I don't have money here. Would not touch. Good luck to those die-hard fans, though.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Blizzard should follow Bungie's example and just frikkin leave.
    ceh430MargraveOzmodanalkarionloggastovski1ArskaaaSlyLoKinfomatz
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Glad I don't own that stock
    d_20
  • DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    What I love is all these idiot investment firms calling ATVI a 'Buy' now because it's become so cheap compared to where it was. Yeah, because they can't make a good decision to save their life. And now apparently they can't even hold onto their games. It's only a buy if they stand a chance at the success they once had: Unlikely.
    Ozmodand_20

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

BizkitNL said:

They can't. Bungie wasn't owned by Activision, they had an exclusive publishing deal with them that they cancelled (it ended in 2020 anyway).

Blizzard were never independent, their ownership moved from publisher to publisher until Activision bought them.
    [Deleted User]natpickd_20
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    Many people got angry? sure, but every other big corporation has the same exact problems. If you put your money in any banks, then they have the exact same structure of payment where the top executive got paid millions, and they fired the lower one. I would be more worried about the banks than blizzard. If you google bob iger the ceo of Disney, the compensation would make your eyes rolled.
    Dionnal2
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,319
    Well, now we know what those microtransactions was going towards.
    gervaise1infomatz
  • SplitStream13SplitStream13 Member UncommonPosts: 250
    edited January 2019
    Shit, what do you actually study to get appointed CEO of those IT mastodonts and get a sign in bonus so big that it's going to last you a lifetime It's crazy, you cut actually talented people (and pay the rest the minimum salary for the region) to hire some guy and give him a base salary that's probably 10 times the senior workers in the firm, that actually helped make it. Call me a commie all you want but that's just some corporate bullshit right there. Same shit with Amazon, pay salaries so low that your workers qualify for the coupon program. Buy a general goods chain stores and do not accept these coupons while your CEO is the richest goddamn person to have ever walked the planet .... profit? :D
    Palebanedonpadrexinfomatz
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    azarhal said:

BizkitNL said:

They can't. Bungie wasn't owned by Activision, they had an exclusive publishing deal with them that they cancelled (it ended in 2020 anyway).

Blizzard were never independent, their ownership moved from publisher to publisher until Activision bought them.
    As you say they "can't". Activision and Blizzard came together in a merger in 2007 - so tatally different than the publishing deal AB had with Bungee. I suppose it would be possible for "Activision Blizzard" to sell Activsion or Blizzard or King. Or to do a stock split creating two (or even three) companies to "unlock investor potential". Can't see that being for the better though.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Many people got angry? sure, but every other big corporation has the same exact problems. If you put your money in any banks, then they have the exact same structure of payment where the top executive got paid millions, and they fired the lower one. I would be more worried about the banks than blizzard. If you google bob iger the ceo of Disney, the compensation would make your eyes rolled.
    Other companies doing it doesn't make it right of course.

A lot is said about "if we don't pay $X we won't get Suzie or Fred". Now whilst Suzie would clearly be worth it :)  what makes Fred $15M better than a Bill say? If they simply promoted someone from within that would be $15M saved for starters
    SBFord[Deleted User]Palebaneinfomatz
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    These days will soon be over. The tools given to Indy devs today are absolutely fantastic. Within the next 5-10 years, you will see AAA-looking stuff coming from the Indy crowd.

Take a look at the Unity asset store. Amazing volumetric lighting, terrain tessellation, optimization tools, superior models, etc. Engines are so easy to use now.
    Arskaaa
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Security fraud?  Do these guys think they are operating a crowdfunded startup?

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Except, is Disney or any big banks struggling with mismanagement issues like Activision / Blizz appears to be?

[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Kyleran said:
    Except, is Disney or any big banks struggling with mismanagement issues like Activision / Blizz appears to be?

Well Wellsfargo certainly stepped on their own dick a while back and they still seem to be doing just fine.
    Wells Fargo appears to be the Blizzard equivalent in the banking industry, regularly shooting themselves in both feet.

;)

[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• parpinparpin Member UncommonPosts: 220
    i do not understand, they guy got 15m award for just starting the job?? i though you have to do the job for a year at least and if you are good then they will award you?? how come he got 15m award before doing the job, what if he sucks and can not do the job?? they already gave him 15m for nothing, i do not understand this article.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    parpin said:
    i do not understand, they guy got 15m award for just starting the job?? i though you have to do the job for a year at least and if you are good then they will award you?? how come he got 15m award before doing the job, what if he sucks and can not do the job?? they already gave him 15m for nothing, i do not understand this article.
    It's not uncommon to get a starting bonus for a job.

A friend of mine was given 10k as a starting bonus (clearly not a C level executive).

Why do people get these bonuses? Well, to attract top talent of course. Especially if these candidates can be courted by other companies.

Why not promote from the inside?

Promoting from the inside can be great but it's not always feasible. If no one on the inside has been prepared for such a role then a company will seek to find someone from the outside.

another reason is if they require a different "point of view" someone who will bring fresh ideas or who will change the company culture if they need it.
    d_20Dionnal2
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    parpin said:
    They preordered him. No refund.
    MendelWhiteLanterngervaise1Kyleran[Deleted User]ThupliTacticalZombehd_20infomatzDionnal2and 1 other.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• shadyjane63shadyjane63 Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Left Wow after WoD Joined ESO never looked back.
    borghive49
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
    I just dont get the ivory tower world anymore. How can any person work be worth 15 million dollars ( unless he is a scientist in line of Tesla or Einstein ) How can any executive be so smart his work is worth 15 million dollars ?

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I just dont get the ivory tower world anymore. How can any person work be worth 15 million dollars ( unless he is a scientist in line of Tesla or Einstein ) How can any executive be so smart his work is worth 15 million dollars ?
    Yep.  An executive making as much as a reserve infielder.  Outrageous.

Kyleran

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.