Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crowfall - ArtCraft Devs Live Q&A with Zybak

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited January 2019 in Videos Discussion

imageCrowfall - ArtCraft Devs Live Q&A with Zybak

From the video description: "Crowfall Creative Director J. Todd Coleman and Design Director Thomas Blair were guests on a live stream hosted by Zybak, a well-known vlogger and a veteran member of the Crowfall community. During the interview, Todd revealed a first look at their vision for Crowfall’s Dregs ruleset, which will deliver competitive Guild vs. Guild gameplay. Coleman said, “This is the single greatest design document I have left to write between now and launch.”"

Read the full story here

tweedledumb99

Comments

• KooturKootur Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Wasnt this game supposed to be out by now?
    Rain_Deathraven
  • Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    Name a game that hasn't gone past its initially projected release date. They're making good progress, with Alpha currently targeted for March.
    zigalucardJamesGoblintweedledumb99natpickValentinaVitaminKkillerqueergastovski1Azaron_Nightblade
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Too long... Need summary
    Truvidien88WellspringJamesGoblinsakinolValentinaVitaminKimmoralthanggastovski1

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927

Kootur said:

Wasnt this game supposed to be out by now?

Honestly I think they are one of the few games(companies) that are progressing faster than expected or maybe it's not faster, but compared to some other games that are being developed for 7-10 years I guess this feels fast.

Really curious do they plan on releasing in 2019 or it's going to be 2020+. With the lack of any new mmorgp atm they can hit the jackpot.
    JamesGoblintweedledumb99Azaron_Nightblade
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    They're too busy selling their engine to make a game.
    RhygarthJamesGoblintweedledumb99mmolouFlyByKnightgastovski1milaysky
  • RhygarthRhygarth Member UncommonPosts: 259
    edited January 2019

Albatroes said:

And you know this how ?

Also all the active patching they do to improve the game must mean they are too busy to work on it right ? The game is in a playable state on the live server with new content/balances coming very soon
    JamesGoblintweedledumb99FacelessSavior
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited January 2019

Rhygarth said:

Albatroes said:

And you know this how ?

Also all the active patching they do to improve the game must mean they are too busy to work on it right ?
    The game is in a playable state on the live server with new content/balances coming very soon

Hey man, I'd want to protect my investment too even though these 'live servers' have been around for 2 years. So live that its still in pre-alpha, right? Its almost as sad as seeing Ashes turning into a BR game for 'testing purposes' or CoE raising money only to build a prototype so they could get 'real investors.' At some point, the words gotta match the actions. Maybe these guys dont really understand how online games work or something, but they are honestly never 'finished,' they are just created up to a point that has enough content to tie over until patch cycles, whether they be quarterly/2 times a year/or even annually. Its like these guys think they need to create the entire game first and then release it.
    FacelessSaviornatpickPanserbjorne39RhygarthJamesGoblin
  • KooturKootur Member UncommonPosts: 352

Arkade99 said:

Name a game that hasn't gone past its initially projected release date. They're making good progress, with Alpha currently targeted for March.

Yeah but this game was supposed to be out in 2016.
    JamesGoblin
  • tweedledumb99tweedledumb99 Member UncommonPosts: 290

Kootur said:

Arkade99 said:

Sure, they're late, all of the crowdfunded games are, and 90% of the traditionally published ones are also late - they just don't have to tell you and me because there's no reason for the traditional ones to make their deadlines public.

This game actually is one of the furthest along, and has pretty transparent (in a good way) devs.
    KajidourdenStrizzy12JamesGoblin
    I thought the stream was great - great questions by Zybak, no holding back, and great answers by Crowfall devs, no BS.
    JamesGoblin
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Keep in mind, this is Pre-Alpha. Which means all the features are not live yet.

I would guess this game is no less then 2 years away from a real launch. It might hit a Beta by the end of the year, so that would be something.
    tweedledumb99JamesGoblin
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• VarkingVarking Member UncommonPosts: 542
    This game looks great
    tweedledumb99
  • Panserbjorne39Panserbjorne39 Member UncommonPosts: 142
    The need to talk about how OP the Guenecian warrior is going to be. Better be OP AF!
    tweedledumb99JamesGoblin
  • anxelesaxeanxelesaxe Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Albatroes said:

Rhygarth said:

Albatroes said:

And you know this how ?

Also all the active patching they do to improve the game must mean they are too busy to work on it right ?
    The game is in a playable state on the live server with new content/balances coming very soon

Hey man, I'd want to protect my investment too even though these 'live servers' have been around for 2 years. So live that its still in pre-alpha, right? Its almost as sad as seeing Ashes turning into a BR game for 'testing purposes' or CoE raising money only to build a prototype so they could get 'real investors.' At some point, the words gotta match the actions. Maybe these guys dont really understand how online games work or something, but they are honestly never 'finished,' they are just created up to a point that has enough content to tie over until patch cycles, whether they be quarterly/2 times a year/or even annually. Its like these guys think they need to create the entire game first and then release it.
    Son, before you make yourself look any dumber you should educate yourself on exactly how Crowfall is being built. 

There are no patch cycles. There are seasons, just like with Path of Exile. Just like J. Todd did with Shadowbane. The game needs to be built in order to release to hopefully keep players like you, with nothing better to do than to bitch about stuff they know nothing about, from bitching that the game isn't done and should have stayed in development for another year to finish things up.

You silly kids thinking MMO = themepark. Although I can't really blame you, it's the state the industry has been in since WoW released. 
    [Deleted User]
    Varking said:
    This game looks great
    It's pretty solid for a Pre-Alpha.

But like many games it has a lot of the generic problems with balance, mainly Fae Assassins are OPed as all hell right now, but I am sure that will change as development moves on.

PvE combat is clunky and does not look or feel smooth at all. PvP combat is much better than anything PvE related, but that is the focus of the game, so that makes sense.

The fact that I don't get much exp for capturing a point, is super lame. IMHO.

But I love the art style, but, again, Pre-Alpha, so choices for character customization is really limited.
    Relampagotweedledumb99JamesGoblin
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• RhygarthRhygarth Member UncommonPosts: 259
    edited January 2019

Albatroes said:

Rhygarth said:

Albatroes said:

And you know this how ?

I forgot you know me IRL and $60 is a life and death investment for me.

On a serious note I backed the game back in 2015 knowing full well I might never see a return on that money.

So I have no need to defend it but I can tell you that I have been playing it on and off for some time and every time I go back to check on progress I am happy with the progress.

We have the first in game campaign starting soon and with 6.0 they are adding a lot more balance/polish.

Post edited by Rhygarth on
    VitaminKtweedledumb99JamesGoblin
  • Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538

Kootur said:

Arkade99 said:

As part of kickstarter, they are required to give an expected delivery date. There's pretty much no chance that they could have launched by that date. Yes, they could have made the delivery date much later, and probably should have, but it means nothing at this point.

You've got to remember too that expected delivery date isn't exactly the same thing as "launch date". The delivery date is the date by which we are expected to get the rewards associated with our package. None of those rewards include "finished game". Maybe that is implied, but nowhere does it say that.

I've been playing the game since September 2015. I've gotten over 3 years of enjoyment from the game in various forms, from Hunger Dome and Siege Perilous to what we have now. So even though the game isn't finished yet, they HAVE delivered on a lot of what they promised. Most of the rewards included in my KS pledge package, I have already gotten. They aren't all in their final form, but I have gotten them. Here is a not all-inclusive list of the things I have received:

Alpha 1 access
    Digital copy of the game
    Digital access via the Physical Collector's edition which I use on a secondary account (but I obviously won't receive the physical copy until the game goes live)
    Most of the parcels and buildings, though some of these are still works in progress, like the castle
    3 extra character slots
    Name a Fallen Hero
    Name a Fallen Monarch
    Name a Location (I have already seen a location in game with the name I submitted)
    Reserve Unique Character Name
    Reserve Guild Name
    Access to expanded colors and symbols for Guild Heraldry creator

There's still a lot to do obviously before the game is ready, but as someone who has been part of the game/community for over 3 years now, I'm in no hurry. I have absolutely no doubts that this game will launch, the only question is when. Late this year seems very possible, but I'm not going to be upset if it slips into early 2020 or even late 2020.

People always say that MMOs are never really finished, and that's true, so does it really matter what level of unfinished the game is at if I'm already enjoying it? I don't think so.
    tweedledumb99JamesGoblin
  • RelampagoRelampago Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Agreed with everything said in here.  This is my best kickstarter mmo.  I backed this and Camelot Unchained.  At the basic tier I have been playing this pre alpha for about a year.  The progress has been significant.

Agree very much with the person who says you dont get enough for capturing a capture point, they need to better incentivize that.

Given that I was a huge Shadowbane fan seeing this progress has done my heart good.

I have not been play testing CU.  That they are so late they should let all of their backers in.  I have less confidence in that project and I think Crowfall will cross its finish line first.
    Ungoodtweedledumb99JamesGoblin
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Out of the gate i had maybe a feeling of 3/10,a bit a way from wanting to play it.Over time i have sen NOTHING to change my mind or even this team faking like they know what they are doing with a mmorpg.
    So at this pointa 2/10,meaning not likely worth me even paying attention.it is not my duty to convince myself,it is THEIRS,they need to prove to me they understand "immersion" class design,all the various systems,grouping etc etc.

Until see something convincing all i see is another weak pvp game with a cash shop as the funding idea bound to the castle building blocks.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    Until see something convincing all i see is another weak pvp game with a cash shop as the funding idea bound to the castle building blocks.
    Well you nailed.. so this is not the game for you. A game can't please everyone, so, here is hoping you find a game you do enjoy.
    tweedledumb99JamesGoblin

Too long... Need summary

We are promising you a crap ton of things we won't deliver on...so expect a niche audience and a predatory cash shop, even though we will pinky swear we would never do that.
    I haven't seen any kind or form of cash shop.. but you know.. Pre-Alpha, so things could change.
    tweedledumb99

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Ungood said:

Too long... Need summary

We are promising you a crap ton of things we won't deliver on...so expect a niche audience and a predatory cash shop, even though we will pinky swear we would never do that.
    I haven't seen any kind or form of cash shop.. but you know.. Pre-Alpha, so things could change.
    I have something like: 1 small castle, 2 medium keeps, 3 large forts, a Guildhouse, 2 cottages, a crap ton of parcels, warhorse, packpig, some statues that give a slight buff, and something like 3.5 years VIP.  I got it by originally buying an Amber Kickstarter package (unsung money from selling my Pathfinder Online accounts) and then converting stuff in their cash shop. They recently removed a bunch of stuff from the store but are talking about other items to put in it.   I do not think they are much in the way of pay to win... since most everything was for the Eternal Kingdoms and not the campaigns, but they clearly had a cash shop. It’s just down for renovations currently.

[Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited January 2019
    Relampago said:
    Agreed with everything said in here.  This is my best kickstarter mmo.  I backed this and Camelot Unchained.  At the basic tier I have been playing this pre alpha for about a year.  The progress has been significant.

Agree very much with the person who says you dont get enough for capturing a capture point, they need to better incentivize that.

Given that I was a huge Shadowbane fan seeing this progress has done my heart good.

I have not been play testing CU.  That they are so late they should let all of their backers in.  I have less confidence in that project and I think Crowfall will cross its finish line first.
    I'm a CU backer.

I'm rooting for Crowfall cause the devs seem great, the game is tightly focused and making great progress, and has a coherent look and style to the visuals and the movement of the game.

CU, if it launches, is going to be the MMO I play. Crowfall looks awesome, but isn't my cup of tea.

That said, I also have less confidence in CU launching, and agree Crowfall launches first - I believe both the above because CU is less complete than Crowfall, even after more time developing.

That said, I think both will launch, and both will be successful in their own medium-scale ways (which is all anyone should hope for, they're both on-purpose niche games).

For CU, I don't think it's necessarily a good idea to let all their backers in at once. People at a beta 3 tier should expect more polish and more completeness than alpha or beta 1 backers. So letting everyone in now would create backlash and may even make a shitstorm.
    Relampago